ADVERTISEMENT

Sims vs Haarberg vs Purdy...

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
Not overly impressed with any. If he decides to Play Sims next week I personally don't have a problem with that. Haarberg ok but still shaky. Chubba may be our best quarterback, but apparently is dinged up who knows. I guess whoever the coaches decide to play I don't have a problem with cuz they all kind of need a little bit of work in other words we need to hit the portal in my opinion! Would love to see Haarberg make a permanent switch to receiver.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Not overly impressed with any. If he decides to Play Sims next week I personally don't have a problem with that. Haarberg ok but still shaky. Brock may be our best quarterback, but apparently is dinged up who knows. I guess whoever the coaches decide to play I don't have a problem with cuz they all kind of need a little bit of work in other words we need to hit the portal in my opinion! Would love to see Haarberg make a permanent switch to receiver.

No offense, but this is a bit bizarre of a take imo. Sims already showed us he isn't good enough. Who knows how HBerg will develop but to go back to Sims after tonight would be crazy.

Not overly impressed with any. If he decides to Play Sims next week I personally don't have a problem with that. Haarberg ok but still shaky. Brock may be our best quarterback, but apparently is dinged up who knows. I guess whoever the coaches decide to play I don't have a problem with cuz they all kind of need a little bit of work in other words we need to hit the portal in my opinion! Would love to see Haarberg make a permanent switch to receiver.
The thing about this is Haarberg has literally never played real college football before last week. Saying he’s no better than 2 with experience IS actually a glowing endorsement for him.

Who is Brock?

This is easy.

One quarterback has more turnovers than points and the other one doesn't.

troll-toll.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BigRedTed
Oh boy here we go. Play against 2 legit defense then get basically a bye against NIU and everyone wants to anoint HH. Feel sorry for the kid!
Sims has 3 seasons under his belt as a D-1 QB homie, and the results are not pretty. Take what you've seen from him so far at Nebraska, then project it out for the previous 3 years at GT. The last two games are not outliers.

Oh boy here we go. Play against 2 legit defense then get basically a bye against NIU and everyone wants to anoint HH. Feel sorry for the kid!
No doubt he has to continue to improve, it won't be so easy against higher caliber talent, but his decision making and leadership was pretty good, if not excellent tonight. That's something you can build off of. The rest of the offense and team can build off of that too. If the QB is not making good decisions and turning the ball over, the rest of the offense sort of follows that lead. So to me, it's really about what is best for the team and having a good foundation to build from. HH showed that tonight.

Sims has 3 seasons under his belt as a D-1 QB homie, and the results are not pretty. Take what you've seen from him so far at Nebraska, then project it out for the previous 3 years at GT. The last two games are not outliers

No doubt he has to continue to improve, it won't be so easy against higher caliber talent, but his decision making and leadership was pretty good, if not excellent tonight. That's something you can build off of. The rest of the offense and team can build off of that too. If the QB is not making good decisions and turning the ball over, the rest of the offense sort of follows that lead. So to me, it's really about what is best for the team and having a good foundation to build from. HH showed that tonight.
Hope you're all right, but we don't know how Sims would have done tonight and we don't know how well HH would have done against the first two opponents. I just think it's not fair to anoint haarberg yet.

Hope you're all right, but we don't know how Sims would have done tonight and we don't know how well HH would have done against the first two opponents. I just think it's not fair to anoint haarberg yet.
Perhaps not anoint, but shouldn't dethrone him yet either. They should let him play LTech, see how he grows or if he can with continued game experience, them decision time for Meatchicken (if Sims is fully recovered by then).

Ok. So let's assume Sims plays tonight, healthy, and does everything Haarberg did. Then he plays exactly as he has for the past 3 freaking years....

How is that fair to the team? How is that fair to the people who support this program with more than a message board handle? Really, how is that fair to Sims? He should be knocking on Whites office door Monday asking how he can contribute on defense where you can't give the ball away and where he'd be lauded for having 28+ turnovers.

It's simple IMO, you turn the ball over several times then you sit on the bench. Doesn't matter who you are, you can't be a turnover machine and play. At best you get clean up duty after the game is in hand until you show you don't turn the ball over any more.

I'll take 1 turnover per game as opposed to 4. And I'll even give Harberg a pass and say that turnover wasn't his fault, that was a blown assignment that allowed the defender to get there in half a second.
He had two other passes that probably should have been intercepted though two.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Acceptable play, not great, in the pass game and pretty darned good in the run game. It’s what I hoped for. It wouldn’t be a tough decision for me but I don’t watch practice. With either QB we’re screwed if we can’t run the ball.
I would say HH met my expectations of taking care of the ball. But, isn't that a minimal standard for any QB?
Because Sims has been a disaster, its a little early to get carried away with setting the bar too high.

I think HH can become a good QB, but is he gonna be a difference maker? Not hardly.

I would say HH met my expectations of taking care of the ball. But, isn't that a minimal standard for any QB?
Because Sims has been a disaster, its a little early to get carried away with setting the bar too high.

I think HH can become a good QB, but is he gonna be a difference maker? Not hardly.
I'm gonna add to these comments after I watched the highlights of the game.

It seems the speed of the game has helped HH. Could be because its the first time he's taken any important snaps in a game and the adrenaline almost forced him to speed up his actions.

He backpedaled much faster than he had previously shown, normally, he is kind of pedestrian backpedaling and taking too long of strides and not being on his toes prior to the step up to throw. I thought that was a marked improvement from what he had shown. He also turned his shoulder much quicker which really helps him get into the throwing motion.

He still tends to have that ball too low, and not enough of the ball away from his body to throw the long ball well.
He does have plenty of arm strength, but as time goes on I'm hoping he can clean up some of the things that might be preventing him from being a real good long ball QB. At a minimum, NU needs him to present a real threat of going deep.

The coaches do have to clean up the space relationship between HH and the RB on any play action type passes. I did see one real nice play action that turned into an HH run, but at least it looked like something that could make the defense bite.

It would be nice to see our receiving corp play each QB draw with the idea that HH will get through the line and then have the receivers already engaged in blocking the defender, that way HH has a chance to run for much more yardage. When that QB has broken into open space, the closer we can get those receivers to the defenders the better it is.

Back in the day, those numerous long runs were accomplished by the receivers getting into the defender and taking them off their feet. Its hard to do with little guys like Kemp, Fleck and Bullock.

Not overly impressed with any. If he decides to Play Sims next week I personally don't have a problem with that. Haarberg ok but still shaky. Chubba may be our best quarterback, but apparently is dinged up who knows. I guess whoever the coaches decide to play I don't have a problem with cuz they all kind of need a little bit of work in other words we need to hit the portal in my opinion! Would love to see Haarberg make a permanent switch to receiver.
I don't know what knock there could be on Haarberg after one very successful first start as a sophomore. He is as good of an athlete running as Sims. We aren't losing anything there. He'll continue to develop as a passer with reps. The deep throws weren't there against NIU, partly due to a lack of receiver separation, but we can win without throwing deep. In fact, I would stop wasting time on those throws since we don't have a Trey Palmer.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I don't know what knock there could be on Haarberg after one very successful first start as a sophomore. He is as good of an athlete running as Sims. We aren't losing anything there. He'll continue to develop as a passer with reps. The deep throws weren't there against NIU, partly due to a lack of receiver separation, but we can win without throwing deep. In fact, I would stop wasting time on those throws since we don't have a Trey Palmer.
I tend to disagree SLO.

I believe a team has to at least present a threat of going deep. There's always the chance for a big play or a PI call.

The issue so far with HH on the long ball is the ball seems to tail away and I don't know if Tommi Hill can catch a cold.

Hill is one DB/football player I've never been impressed with. Poor plays seem to find him.

He's had chances on both sides of the ball, but yet, hasn't produced a thing in 1+ years of football.

I'm gonna add to these comments after I watched the highlights of the game.

It seems the speed of the game has helped HH. Could be because its the first time he's taken any important snaps in a game and the adrenaline almost forced him to speed up his actions.

He backpedaled much faster than he had previously shown, normally, he is kind of pedestrian backpedaling and taking too long of strides and not being on his toes prior to the step up to throw. I thought that was a marked improvement from what he had shown. He also turned his shoulder much quicker which really helps him get into the throwing motion.

He still tends to have that ball too low, and not enough of the ball away from his body to throw the long ball well.
He does have plenty of arm strength, but as time goes on I'm hoping he can clean up some of the things that might be preventing him from being a real good long ball QB. At a minimum, NU needs him to present a real threat of going deep.

The coaches do have to clean up the space relationship between HH and the RB on any play action type passes. I did see one real nice play action that turned into an HH run, but at least it looked like something that could make the defense bite.

It would be nice to see our receiving corp play each QB draw with the idea that HH will get through the line and then have the receivers already engaged in blocking the defender, that way HH has a chance to run for much more yardage. When that QB has broken into open space, the closer we can get those receivers to the defenders the better it is.

Back in the day, those numerous long runs were accomplished by the receivers getting into the defender and taking them off their feet. Its hard to do with little guys like Kemp, Fleck and Bullock.
Just one week of starter’s reps produced this

Imagine what he’ll look like with seasons of starting under his belt

Sky’s the limit

I tend to disagree SLO.

I believe a team has to at least present a threat of going deep. There's always the chance for a big play or a PI call.

The issue so far with HH on the long ball is the ball seems to tail away and I don't know if Tommi Hill can catch a cold.

Hill is one DB/football player I've never been impressed with. Poor plays seem to find him.

He's had chances on both sides of the ball, but yet, hasn't produced a thing in 1+ years of football.
We just don't have the deep threat speed right now. Kemp and Washington are mostly possession receivers (and are pretty good if the ball is thrown their way on target). Guys like Brice Turner and Malachi Coleman are speedy deep threats but both are true freshman.

Just one week of starter’s reps produced this

Imagine what he’ll look like with seasons of starting under his belt

Sky’s the limit
His accuracy on deep balls probably isn’t going to change with reps. Just take care of the ball. And hit the open short routes.

His accuracy on deep balls probably isn’t going to change with reps. Just take care of the ball. And hit the open short routes.
yea okay

I’m sure finally getting starter’s reps won’t change anything and he’ll continue to be exactly the same for years

Not sure why they even waste the time during the week

🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT