ADVERTISEMENT

Re-thinking the "bench Sims" mantra

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I am on record saying that Rhule should bench Sims and should have done so at halftime against CU. And I still think he should have at least been forced to sit out a series to clear his head after his second fumble.

However, in thinking this through the following occurred to me. What if Sims really is our best QB on the roster? What if, minus the turnovers, he gives us the best chance of winning? This would explain why Rhule has stuck with him through all of this. Yes, Sims has now cost us two games with his turnovers. But in the first game his problem was interceptions. But he only through one against CU. In the second game his main issue was fumbles, but he had none against Minnesota. Perhaps Rhule is confident that Sims will improve and that going forward he will not fumble snaps and he will be given throwing packages that minimize interceptions.

I know, I know, Sims has been a turnover machine his entire career. So why expect that to end now? Still, I have never believed that either Haarberg or Purdy are worth a shit as QB's. And even if they do not commit as many turnovers I sure as heck do not see them moving the football and scoring with any consistency. So our best option is to go with our best athlete at QB since we have so very few playmakers on offense. And if we can find a way to get Sims to take care of the ball, keeping him as our starter might just be our best option.

Just some early morning musings over coffee as I am still scarred for life by losing to Scum.

I am on record saying that Rhule should bench Sims and should have done so at halftime against CU. And I still think he should have at least been forced to sit out a series to clear his head after his second fumble.

However, in thinking this through the following occurred to me. What if Sims really is our best QB on the roster? What if, minus the turnovers, he gives us the best chance of winning? This would explain why Rhule has stuck with him through all of this. Yes, Sims has now cost us two games with his turnovers. But in the first game his problem was interceptions. But he only through one against CU. In the second game his main issue was fumbles, but he had none against Minnesota. Perhaps Rhule is confident that Sims will improve and that going forward he will not fumble snaps and he will be given throwing packages that minimize interceptions.

I know, I know, Sims has been a turnover machine his entire career. So why expect that to end now? Still, I have never believed that either Haarberg or Purdy are worth a shit as QB's. And even if they do not commit as many turnovers I sure as heck do not see them moving the football and scoring with any consistency. So our best option is to go with our best athlete at QB since we have so very few playmakers on offense. And if we can find a way to get Sims to take care of the ball, keeping him as our starter might just be our best option.

Just some early morning musings over coffee as I am still scarred for life by losing to Scum.
I'm wanting to see what HH can do, but agree with you on Purdy. He sucks. Also, not sure why we didn't have a similar game plan against CU that we did against Minny. Jeff Sims was at his best when he was running the QB power and read option game. His reads weren't the best, but we looked a little better with him running a lot.

If he's our best option then I have to ask, option for what?
Surefire losing season?
Another missed bowl season?
Intense frustration for the rest of the team?
Intense frustration for fans?

The bet would then be that he morph into a completely different player than what he's been his entire career.

I am not saying the backups would be better but I think it's well worth trying. We are losing games and it's like watching a bloody car accident.

I get that Frost left us with little to work with but are HH and Purdy not even D-1 worthy? Maybe they would grow into a serviceable qb.
After all, we're not talking about a struggling offense because of a qb but an almost completely dysfunctional one.

Put in a substandard qb who can at the very least perform the simplest tasks required of a qb.

If you'll notice, Sims even bobbles the 'good' snaps. The ball rolls around in his hands.

Are we paying 9 million for a coach who went out and got the ncaa football turnover king in hopes of it working out and has no backup plan?

Reactions: BleedRed78
rhule stuck with him probably hoping he’d not turn the ball over. They had a game plan wk 2. Sims failed. Will be interesting what they churn out this week.

Sims has 0 confidence. And because of that we now have to question Rhule and his praise of the young man as well as his decisions to give him the reigns.

I’m all for this coach succeeding. But he looks as bad as every coach we’ve had. Fvck the process. I can’t believe more people are buying into that narrative after we lose to 2 shit teams. One we gave away the other we were blown out

Reactions: Dylman

I think Purdy and HH would both be turnover machines when it comes to INT's. I really do wonder if both Purdy and HH could make better in game decisions elsewhere though. Imo, Sims is just not a good player all around but has enough ability to make a play here or there. I think we'd probably be better off with a walk-on qb that can hand it off and throw out routes, the turnovers alone are killing us. Make no mistake about it though, this is a severe lack of coaching from not just current coaches either.
I think we are in for a long few years unless we find a gem at qb that can do the job without all the "coaching". That gem of a qb would still have to deal with a weak OL though, Riola isn't it imo.

Reactions: cavalot
….

However, in thinking this through the following occurred to me. What if Sims really is our best QB on the roster? What if, minus the turnovers, he gives us the best chance of winning? This would explain why Rhule has stuck with him through all of this.
I agree with your post - I think when Rhule says Sims is a Sunday talent he believes it to his core and the bolded is likely true. Rhule knows a Sunday talent doesn’t turn the ball over 3-4 times a game and likely felt through scheme and coaching they could reduce that number significantly.

He’s touted him as the Sunday talent during the preseason which now makes it even more difficult to bench him.

Unfortunately the turnovers are the sole issue. Without them we we would be 2-0 and probably loving Sims.

Put Haarberg in and let him learn by fire. This year is pretty much a loss anyway. Sims isn’t gonna magically stop turning the ball over.

We need a qb more than anything and if this coaching staff can’t figure that out, we are gonna need a Mel Tucker scandal to get us out of it.

No more of this “he’s my guy” shit. If DK is now sucking for whatever reason, go get another guy.

I get what OP is saying. But come on, man…hope in the backup QB is all we have! (always the most popular player on the team)

No. Jeff Sims can't catch snaps. He's literally a faster Cody Green. I know everyone wants the backup. But this is not the Adrian Martinez situation. Either quarterback could be put in and while not as dynamic. And perhaps still turnover prone. Would not not snap the ball too early/drop the snap. We can't even get the ball to the running back if the QB is dropping snaps.

Put Haarberg in and let him learn by fire. This year is pretty much a loss anyway. Sims isn’t gonna magically stop turning the ball over.

We need a qb more than anything and if this coaching staff can’t figure that out, we are gonna need a Mel Tucker scandal to get us out of it.

No more of this “he’s my guy” shit. If DK is now sucking for whatever reason, go get another guy.
What? There are 10 games left.. only 1 against a team that's worth a ****..

7yqoef.jpg

If he's our best option then I have to ask, option for what?
Surefire losing season?
Another missed bowl season?
Intense frustration for the rest of the team?
Intense frustration for fans?

The bet would then be that he morph into a completely different player than what he's been his entire career.

I am not saying the backups would be better but I think it's well worth trying. We are losing games and it's like watching a bloody car accident.

I get that Frost left us with little to work with but are HH and Purdy not even D-1 worthy? Maybe they would grow into a serviceable qb.
After all, we're not talking about a struggling offense because of a qb but an almost completely dysfunctional one.

Put in a substandard qb who can at the very least perform the simplest tasks required of a qb.

If you'll notice, Sims even bobbles the 'good' snaps. The ball rolls around in his hands.

Are we paying 9 million for a coach who went out and got the ncaa football turnover king in hopes of it working out and has no backup plan?
Sims has hands of stone.

Similar to frost and Martinez, jmo I think Casey played them the coaches figured he was staying which would have gave them a alternative but Casey waits till after spring ball by then the portal best We’re gone. I keep hearing chubba isn’t completely healthy wtf. Getting back to sims he could be Adrians twin must be a elite practicer but come game time it’s deer in the headlights and the turnovers but to me the most glaring thing with both Adrian and Jeff is there body language after they screw up to me it like neither gave a crap don’t care attitude

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Did I miss HH playing in games where we know he would throw a lot of picks?

Sims does not have it between the ears on game days.

Reactions: ssmill777
Gee, ya think Rule believes Sims is our best shot at winning? I would hope so! Isn't that why coaches get paid the big bucks? Name the last time they played someone else and it turned out to be a good decision? McCaffery? Purdy?

Since Adrian began his decline, there has been a call for the back-up to come in and save the day. How did that work out? Terrible as we all know. But somehow we think we know more than the coaches and there surely must be someone better so they become the new hero to come in and save the day. Maybe HH gives us a boost if he gets his shot, I don't know but the coaches do. And yes, people who say, well he can't be worse are sadly mistaken.

A few more bits of football wisdom. There are no plays that take the chance of an INT out of the equation. D's will find you out. He is a good but not great runner and is ability to run isn't enough to turn the balance in our favor. So those who say just keep running him are playing a fools game. CU loaded up to stop the run and we had no answers. Simple things, well just roll him out don't solve the big problems but sound nice.

Then there is a crowd that says move him to "wing back" and/or running back. He has shown a complete lack of ability to catch a pass in game one and snaps in game two. Hands of stone this one seems to have. The game moves too quickly for him it appears. Not a knock, it is just what it looks like from the chair. I have seen kids who look like world beaters fail miserably when bullets are flying.

People posted all of the "these are all the highlights you need to see" of Sims while at GT but just a casual watching of his tape reveals some serious flaws. My GUESS is Rhule and company figured they could coach those out of him and take advantage of his athleticism. The experiment is ongoing but time is running out.

Nothing to lose at this point playing HH. If Sims can't handle getting benched and earning his job back then so be it. I want to see HH play so we know for sure if he can or can't do it. I don't care about practice. Coaches evaluating practice has led to us not going to a bowl game in 6 years.

Sims is also telegraphing the shit out of everything. He very rarely looks left and everything is either right in the middle of the field or to his right. When he decides, he also stares down that decision horribly. I really thought Satterfield might be able to help him, but unless we are running the full on option, he is going to be worthless for what our offense looks to be trying to do.

As tough a pill as it is to swallow, I'm fairly certain Sims is still out best option at QB.

There are still 10 games left on the schedule. 9 of them 'winnable'. I'm not ready to throw away the season yet - especially because we have seen nothing from Haarberg or Purdy to suggest they are significant improvements. The coaches, OTOH, see Haarberg and Purdy every day, and have since December.

If NU loses a 7th game with more left to play, I am 'all in' on benching Sims. Until then, I think our best option is for NU coaches to work on reducing Sims' mistakes.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I get that Frost left us with little to work with but are HH and Purdy not even D-1 worthy?
Frost left CT here.

If CT was still here, and Jeff Sims was anywhere but here, with the improvement on defense and ST we would either be 2-0 with a close CU win or 1-1 with a close loss at CU, and there would be optimism and excitement in the fanbase.

I won't be shocked to see Sims starts. He didn't get benched last game for a series or two like he should have been, he's not getting benched now. If he doesn't improve then Rhule will lose the locker room. Players don't like when you say one thing and don't follow through.

Sims could be the best QB, even taking into account fumbles and INTs, but IF that is the case and we ran off Casey and Logan and kept these 3…. Then we hired a big effing loser just like the last guy

It’s early and obviously a ways to go, but it’s like the Frost era all over except with a much better D coordinator

So, if there isn’t 2-3 new QBs on the roster this off season to go along with Kaelin coming in… that’s a fail.

None of the QBs we have are worth a shit and the staff needs to realize that or I’ll be calling them Frost 2.0

Reactions: Dylman
Frost left CT here.

If CT was still here, and Jeff Sims was anywhere but here, with the improvement on defense and ST we would either be 2-0 with a close CU win or 1-1 with a close loss at CU, and there would be optimism and excitement in the fanbase.
CT just lost to Ohio while throwing 54% completion and 2 picks

HH is also a big QB who runs well. Not quite as fast as Sims but not much different. I think he also runs harder and won't fumble 300x. Neither are great passers. Gimme the Nebraska kid to pull out some wins.

CT just lost to Ohio while throwing 54% completion and 2 picks
CT has 5 TD tosses and 3 turnovers in 2 games.

Jeff Sims has 1 TD toss, 1 TD run, and 6 turnovers in 2 games.

Like I said, if we held onto CT instead of bringing in Sims, we would either be 2-0 with a close CU win or 1-1 with a close loss at CU, and there would be optimism and excitement in the fanbase.

I believe in Rhule, but this QB situation is a disaster. Which is a shame because the team took a step forward in a lot of other areas.

Reactions: 54T and BleedRed78
Does anyone know the status of Sims' ankle? Some of us may get what we wish for.

HH is also a big QB who runs well. Not quite as fast as Sims but not much different. I think he also runs harder and won't fumble 300x. Neither are great passers. Gimme the Nebraska kid to pull out some wins.
How do you know he won’t fumble? Do you think simms is doing that in practice?

What? There are 10 games left.. only 1 against a team that's worth a ****..
These first two games dictate the year. If we would’ve won them, we were looking at a nice season. I believe now we are a 4-5 win team. Although our defense is looking really good, this offense is not gonna make any strides unless we get a serviceable qb. So let’s see what HH can do, maybe he’s a baller in the game setting.

If he isn’t 100%, then it’s not up for debate. No legs, no Sims. Use him as an emergency backup. Give HH the reins.

How do you know he won’t fumble? Do you think simms is doing that in practice?
I don't care about practice. I know that he sucks when the lights are on and it matters. I would assume a D1 QB can handle taking shotgun snaps. 4 non-contact fumbles in one game is actually incredible. You don't even see that in pop warner.

He should've never brought him here to begin with as he was garbage at GT and has always been an attrocious passer and game manager. Just because he's here at DONU doesn't matter as it's the same as it always was at GT and that dude will lose us a ton of games unless he's permanently benched. What's gonna happen if he costs us the game again except now against an inferior G5 team in Northern Illinois and Rhule has no plans of ever replacing him? Rhule and Simms heads will be on the chopping block as Rhule wll never go away from him no matter how many games we lose because of him.

Last edited:
I think now is the perfect time to make a change. Calm the offense down, put Haarburg in, and come out with a couple wins. Winning these next 2 is an absolute must. Honestly… from what I saw, Georgia Tech, and what I’ve seen the first two games of the season… There is no way on God’s green earth that Jeff Simms gives us the best chance to win these games. I don’t care that it’s northern Illinois and Louisiana Tech.

We're in the toughest of spots here. Sims is not good, but the other 2 are not as good as him, otherwise they would be starting. Suck it up is an understatement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT