ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Rhule pick Sims?

TDLaww2020

Walk On
Dec 6, 2017
There had to be better options out in the portal for us to get. Admittedly I didn't watch anything from GT but I checked Sims stats and the interceptions almost reminded me of how abysmal Tanner Lee was for us. But I heard the kid can run so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Right now, I have NO doubt Sims needs benched. That, or switch him with Haarberg and make Haarburg a QB while Sims is a receiver. But that won't work since Sims dropped multiple snaps too.

This is a repeat of 2021 except our offense is shit.

Maybe he thought he was the guy to coach up the kid and have a QB good enough to jump start and carry us to a decent win count this year while they develop new kids.

It's not been very effective.

Reactions: bigboxes
name a single good QB that Rhule has picked

spoiler alert: you can't

He beat up soft defenses in the Big 12 and played solid defense. We don't have the players on OL for that to happen, and seeing as we lost the Dylan Raiola sweepstakes, his dipshit uncle probably shouldn't be the one managing that group anymore

think of it from Rhule's shoes.. you just got ousted from your NFL gig.. you don't really want to come to Nebraska, but they are going to throw obscene amounts of money at you, and your wife is twisting your arm.. Ok, we'll go do the Nebraska thing.. take their money, tell them what they want to hear.. see what happens.. f it, I'm already set for life.

Sims LOOKS the part but other than that he's struggling mightily and cost us two games.

Rhule needs to put a competent looking team on the field at home. If Rhule loses Memorial Stadium's trust in him he's in for a really tough gig here.

Who was the guy that Rhule wanted for OC that didn’t take the job? Was he a QB whisperer? Was Simms recruited thinking that guy could coach him up?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Who was the guy that Rhule wanted for OC that didn’t take the job? Was he a QB whisperer? Was Simms recruited thinking that guy could coach him up?

Rhule wanted to hire Jake Peetz as QB Coach, but Satterfield still would have been OC. Originally Satterfield was going to be OC and TE Coach.

Reactions: dinglefritz
think of it from Rhule's shoes.. you just got ousted from your NFL gig.. you don't really want to come to Nebraska, but they are going to throw obscene amounts of money at you, and your wife is twisting your arm.. Ok, we'll go do the Nebraska thing.. take their money, tell them what they want to hear.. see what happens.. f it, I'm already set for life.
Preach brother. You know that skank had a hand in picking Sims too

• Haha
Reactions: headcard
After Riley and Frost, Nebraska Football was basically dead in the public mind. Convincing any top quarterback transfer to consider Lincoln was going to be a tough sell. Everybody has shiny new facilities. Everybody has strength programs, academic support, and NIL money. What does Nebraska offer now other than the admiration of the recruits' grandfathers?

After Riley and Frost, Nebraska Football was basically dead in the public mind. Convincing any top quarterback transfer to consider Lincoln was going to be a tough sell. Everybody has shiny new facilities. Everybody has strength programs, academic support, and NIL money. What does Nebraska offer now other than the admiration of the recruits' grandfathers?
The collective better come up with enough money to make an offer that can't be refused.

We blew it not recruiting Flores

The collective better come up with enough money to make an offer that can't be refused.
the problem is that it’s rare to find a Joe Burrow in other people’s cast offs. IF there is that guy he’s going to a perpetual winner.

His good buddy Geoff Collins convinced him that Sims was good....even though Sims sucked under Collins at Georgia Tech.
Boy was that $&it advice.. You would think they should have know all the turnovers he made at GT..

Runza?

BS. This is a defeatist, loser mentality.

I think there was too much emphasis on being a running team and Rhule thought Sims could be the guy for that. Only problem is it doesn’t work in todays game (at least not exclusively) and you need a lot of other pieces (like a line) to make it work. It was cringe when Rhule said Carter told him that’s what he wanted from him and that excited Rhule (paraphrasing of course).

Reactions: WHCSC
Agree, but another thing QBs look for is a good WR group. Frost did us no favors on that front by recruiting a bunch of Florida kids who left and trying to patch up the group with 1 yr eligible transfers. Add to that the Huskers reputation for preferring the run and we have little to offer a quality passing QB.

He beat up soft defenses in the Big 12 and played solid defense. We don't have the players on OL for that to happen, and seeing as we lost the Dylan Raiola sweepstakes, his dipshit uncle probably shouldn't be the one managing that group anymore

PJ Walker was the best QB in Temple history, with over 11, 000 total yards, 80 TD’s and played in the NFL.

Charlie Brewer was very good at Baylor with over 11,000 total yards and 90 TD’s.

That kind of QB play would make this a very competitive team.

Last edited:
Agree, but another thing QBs look for is a good WR group. Frost did us no favors on that front by recruiting a bunch of Florida kids who left and trying to patch up the group with 1 yr eligible transfers. Add to that the Huskers reputation for preferring the run and we have little to offer a quality passing QB.
I don't necessarily disagree, but Colorado got 4, Wisconsin got 3, and Minnesota got 3 WRs out of the portal who were all rated higher than the 1 we got. We keep hearing about our NIL money, but based on the evidence we are not really serious when it comes to paying what it takes now to get high end players in here.

Regarding QBs, Sanders kid got at least 1.4-1.6 million, while Sims is listed as having gone for 83-103k on various websites. There is a HUGE disconnect between the average fan and the boosters of substance and the admin and maybe even coaches on what it means to be serious about winning games in 2023.

Spoiler alert Dylan may wanna come here and have a starting job.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Colorado got 4, Wisconsin got 3, and Minnesota got 3 WRs out of the portal who were all rated higher than the 1 we got. We keep hearing about our NIL money, but based on the evidence we are not really serious when it comes to paying what it takes now to get high end players in here.

Regarding QBs, Sanders kid got at least 1.4-1.6 million, while Sims is listed as having gone for 83-103k on various websites. There is a HUGE disconnect between the average fan and the boosters of substance and the admin and maybe even coaches on what it means to be serious about winning games in 2023.
Seems a little unfair to use Sanders as an example of what kinda money is being tossed around. Just being attached to his dad has to be worth a healthy chunk.

That being said, I'm thoroughly disappointed in what Rhule chose for a QB. I hope he can redeem himself in this year's post season free agent signings.

Reactions: jkeb
Seems a little unfair to use Sanders as an example of what kinda money is being tossed around. Just being attached to his dad has to be worth a healthy chunk.

That being said, I'm thoroughly disappointed in what Rhule chose for a QB. I hope he can redeem himself in this year's post season free agent signings.
Fair enough, although you would think it would mean he would have gone for less money. The 2nd QB was Hartman who went to ND for around 992k according to information I could find online. We will need to get over how astronomical these numbers look like if that is the going rate.

The one thing I don't see in the QBs ranked ahead of Sims in the portal was a true running threat (besides Sanders) and we know Rhule wants that. I guess I'm just burned out on the Nebraska Way of getting QBs who are primarily runners, can't throw, can't read defenses, make poor decisions, and turn the ball over. If we want a running QB go back to the option to minimize their weaknesses.

I think we would be better off getting a passing QB who can scramble for a 1st down as a last resort. We really need to pay whatever it takes to get an NFL QB and change the narrative at Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT