ADVERTISEMENT

Sims vs Haarberg vs Purdy...

Colorado has one of the worst defenses in the country (122nd). Northern Illinois is ranked 42nd in total D.
Soon it will be “I’ll wait until we win a conference championship before I anoint HH”

Haters gonna hate

yea okay

I’m sure finally getting starter’s reps won’t change anything and he’ll continue to be exactly the same for years

Not sure why they even waste the time during the week

🤣
That isn’t what I said or meant. Don’t start that sh## again.

He’s had hundreds of practice reps already on deep pass routes in his three camps. You aren’t going to change that.
I tend to think starter's reps - which Haarberg has gotten for 5 days - are more valuable than having to practice on your own as a 6th stringer for a staff that doesn't value you.

my prediction is we see marked accuracy on deep balls, especially when they start heading Coleman's way.

"Practice makes perfect".

I tend to think starter's reps - which Haarberg has gotten for 5 days - are more valuable than having to practice on your own as a 6th stringer for a staff that doesn't value you.

my prediction is we see marked accuracy on deep balls, especially when they start heading Coleman's way.

"Practice makes perfect".
Please explain in depth how starter’s reps are going to suddenly improve his accuracy.

We just don't have the deep threat speed right now. Kemp and Washington are mostly possession receivers (and are pretty good if the ball is thrown their way on target). Guys like Brice Turner and Malachi Coleman are speedy deep threats but both are true freshman.
Good luck with Kemp and Washington getting any separation against MICH. Then where's the passing game?

We just don't have the deep threat speed right now. Kemp and Washington are mostly possession receivers (and are pretty good if the ball is thrown their way on target). Guys like Brice Turner and Malachi Coleman are speedy deep threats but both are true freshman.
The fast kid in the BIG (Turner) and another speedy guy like Coleman do little good it NU never even goes deep. They would be nothing more than decoys.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Good luck with Kemp and Washington getting any separation against MICH. Then where's the passing game?
again, the fact that Michigan became the measuring stick overnight shows just how much Haarberg has changed the perception of this team

absolutely love to see it

His accuracy on deep balls probably isn’t going to change with reps. Just take care of the ball. And hit the open short routes.
I tend to disagree dingle. If they work on the relationship of the ball with his throwing shoulder, the arm strength is already there. But, he's kind of pushing the ball rather than letting his wrist become loose enough to really fling it. That's what causes his long ball to tail away as it reaches its apex.

He’s had hundreds of practice reps already on deep pass routes in his three camps. You aren’t going to change that.
Disagree dingle. I changed tons of kids with long toss in baseball. The dynamics of throwing any object remain the same if you understand what the cause of the problem stems from.

Its like swinging a baseball bat. People think you need to use all your power and have an upward swing when in fact all you need is a solid base and slight backspin on the ball to go yard. Nature rules if you don't conflict with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
I tend to disagree dingle. If they work on the relationship of the ball with his throwing shoulder, the arm strength is already there. But, he's kind of pushing the ball rather than letting his wrist become loose enough to really fling it. That's what causes his long ball to tail away as it reaches its apex.
I’ve listened to multiple NFL guys including Gil Brandt and Chucky who say you can’t fix accuracy of college QBs. They have it by then or they never will.

I’ve listened to multiple NFL guys including Gil Brandt and Chucky who say you can’t fix accuracy of college QBs. They have it by then or they never will.
Gil Brant is old news and dead. Guys in college look like no way they can play in the NFL, yet they do. You think Brady threw the ball as well at Michigan as he did after 1-2 years in the league? The level of improvement in almost all those guys is large once they get some real concentrated, specific drills to tweak some parts of their game.

With HH and being under Mario for a couple years, and a passing thought last year, has some issues that he needs to overcome, but most assuredly had shit coaching from high school till this spring. I look at his progress from the spring game until Saturday, and I think under the right conditions, the potential is there.

Its not like they are trying to get Chubba to launch 50 yard bombs when he may lack the arm strength, HH has the arm strength, but it could something no more than the way he grips the ball, or puts too much pressure on his right index and middle finger. Maybe his hand is too wide on the ball, maybe its not wide enough. A lot of scrutiny can reveal things that can be tweaked for the better.

If I were him, I'd measure my hand, then do some research of NFL guys with similar hand size, see how they grip the ball, especially if they throw the long ball really well, then start to mimic their grip and see if it makes a difference.

I guess I have more confidence in great coaching than most people do. I also believe in watching videos with slow motion or frame by frame action.

little too early for these declarations, as well

kid's a RS Soph who just played his first game since class C1
I think over the years Nebraska has been great at playing kids from small towns so I would never use geography to judge a player. Phalen Sanford is from Benkelman. If I blink, I miss it on my drive back to DIA. Dallas Cowboys Linebacker, Leighton Vander Esch is from Riggins, Idaho (pop 419) a beat-up little village that has a very cool location at the end of the world on the banks of the Salmon River. I do think a lot of coaches show preferential treatment to 4-star recruits from bigger cities.

Gil Brant is old news and dead. Guys in college look like no way they can play in the NFL, yet they do. You think Brady threw the ball as well at Michigan as he did after 1-2 years in the league? The level of improvement in almost all those guys is large once they get some real concentrated, specific drills to tweak some parts of their game.

With HH and being under Mario for a couple years, and a passing thought last year, has some issues that he needs to overcome, but most assuredly had shit coaching from high school till this spring. I look at his progress from the spring game until Saturday, and I think under the right conditions, the potential is there.

Its not like they are trying to get Chubba to launch 50 yard bombs when he may lack the arm strength, HH has the arm strength, but it could something no more than the way he grips the ball, or puts too much pressure on his right index and middle finger. Maybe his hand is too wide on the ball, maybe its not wide enough. A lot of scrutiny can reveal things that can be tweaked for the better.

If I were him, I'd measure my hand, then do some research of NFL guys with similar hand size, see how they grip the ball, especially if they throw the long ball really well, then start to mimic their grip and see if it makes a difference.

I guess I have more confidence in great coaching than most people do. I also believe in watching videos with slow motion or frame by frame action.
His throwing motion is cringeworthy for sure and maybe they can help him some with that but the “old” guys listened to I respect almost as much as I do you😉

• Haha
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

Amen, brother

His throwing motion is cringeworthy for sure and maybe they can help him some with that but the “old” guys listened to I respect almost as much as I do you😉
The problem is always, you teach a kid something new, but soon as you get into live action they revert back to their original way of doing things. Similar to Taylor Martinez and even Scott Frost.

My main line of reasoning is that if HH were a 5th year senior and the program would move on without him at the end of the year, its one thing, but the kid has basically 2-3 more years at NU. He's raw, has the required physical attributes, he just needs to get polished up. He may never throw the long ball worth a shit, but he may eventually be enough of a threat to make the effort worthwhile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT