ADVERTISEMENT

The Hoiskers are 1-0

SomedayHusker

All-American
Oct 26, 2019
Omaha
Still plenty of questions after this tuneup game against Lindenwood, who’s defense was just awful, but definitely a clean 84-52 win. What I saw with the new players:

Reink Mast - not as dominate in this one as I was hoping, but he was a little banged up. I’m not sold on him doing super well in the B1G but like that he can shoot the 3 and pass. His style doesn’t look that different than Derrick Walker on the block.

Jarron ‘Boogie’ Coleman - I like this kid. A good passer, creative on offense, can hit from anywhere. Athleticism probably isn’t what made him good in the MAC and I think his maturity and vision will carry over to the B1G.

Bryce Williams - good footwork around the rim, think he had one three But could’ve shot it better. Long kid

Josaiah Allick - I knew I would like him coming in. Tough physical player with probably the highest motor on the team. He manufactured extra possessions with his effort and also hit a 3. He’ll be a fan favorite

Eli Rice - You can see this youngster has natural talent, he just needs to rein it in and gain some experience to be more consistent. hopefully we don’t need him to play much this year.

Matar Diop - didn’t play much but saw some nice athletic flash on display from the 6’10” freshman, raw talent that could develop into a nice player.

No Juwan Gary, Keita or Tominaga in this one. Wilcher needs to have a better year, he at least lost some weight and looks more like a basketball player but he and Hoiberg played well. Those guys have typically looked a lot better vs. weak competition though.

Fred is on a warm seat this season. It seems like every year he has a deeper team than ever and we still suck until the last month or so. I think this will be a defensive team again but we have more capable scorers than Fred’s had here so far. Just a matter of putting it all together. Expectations are low and hopes are high.

GBR!

Great to see the blowout! But it needed to have been that way, Lindenwood is only 2 years removed from being a D2 school in the same conference as UNK. I haven’t heard anything but what is going on with Juwan Gary?

Reactions: leodisflowers
Still plenty of questions after this tuneup game against Lindenwood, who’s defense was just awful, but definitely a clean 84-52 win. What I saw with the new players:

Reink Mast - not as dominate in this one as I was hoping, but he was a little banged up. I’m not sold on him doing super well in the B1G but like that he can shoot the 3 and pass. His style doesn’t look that different than Derrick Walker on the block.

Jarron ‘Boogie’ Coleman - I like this kid. A good passer, creative on offense, can hit from anywhere. Athleticism probably isn’t what made him good in the MAC and I think his maturity and vision will carry over to the B1G.

Bryce Williams - good footwork around the rim, think he had one three But could’ve shot it better. Long kid

Josaiah Allick - I knew I would like him coming in. Tough physical player with probably the highest motor on the team. He manufactured extra possessions with his effort and also hit a 3. He’ll be a fan favorite

Eli Rice - You can see this youngster has natural talent, he just needs to rein it in and gain some experience to be more consistent. hopefully we don’t need him to play much this year.

Matar Diop - didn’t play much but saw some nice athletic flash on display from the 6’10” freshman, raw talent that could develop into a nice player.

No Juwan Gary, Keita or Tominaga in this one. Wilcher needs to have a better year, he at least lost some weight and looks more like a basketball player but he and Hoiberg played well. Those guys have typically looked a lot better vs. weak competition though.

Fred is on a warm seat this season. It seems like every year he has a deeper team than ever and we still suck until the last month or so. I think this will be a defensive team again but we have more capable scorers than Fred’s had here so far. Just a matter of putting it all together. Expectations are low and hopes are high.

GBR!
Thanks for the update.Hopefully Tominaga comes back sooner than later..

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Warm seat?

Lmao

Our schedule is the most shameful thing I’ve ever seen in major college sports

Hoibergs overstayed his welcome by 2 years and counting

Reactions: moralvictories
Great to see the blowout! But it needed to have been that way, Lindenwood is only 2 years removed from being a D2 school in the same conference as UNK. I haven’t heard anything but what is going on with Juwan Gary?
Juwan Gary is suspended for team rules violations and is “day-to-day” according to Hoiberg.

Warm seat?

Lmao

I agree. Hopefully Trev will look at the B1G body of work when making the decision at the end of this season. I haven’t read much about expectations for the conference but I’m sure they’ll be overly hyped like every year.

Reactions: king_kong_
Too early for you bitching again, season just started..

You can go find another team to root for, heard there is a very good one in Omaha..
No, it’s not

The fact trev is perfectly fine throwing another hoops season in the trash is bullshit

Warm seat?

Lmao

We do have Oregon State and Creighton for OOC opponents so there's two tough non conference opponents. I will agree the rest of the nonconference schedule is a joke. I also agree that Hoiberg should have been shown the door a long time ago.

We do have Oregon State and Creighton for OOC opponents so there's two tough non conference opponents. I will agree the rest of the nonconference schedule is a joke. I also agree that Hoiberg should have been shown the door a long time ago.
Don’t forget about Kansas St as well those are three quality opponents..

Trev had his hands full making sure he picked a quality football coach last year and the team did finish the season winning 6 of their last 8 finishing 16-16.If anything he should have been fired the year prior..

Hoieberg gets another year to prove himself in the conference and not be one of the last 4 teams in the league..

Reactions: moralvictories

That's only partially accurate. They are indeed in year 2 of their transition to D1 in the Ohio Valley Conference, but they left the MIAA back in 2018.

I sincerely hope Hoiberg can produce a fun season instead of one fun month. Either that or he really does need to be done. I’ll watch the games but it’s hard to care when it really doesn’t feel like anything will ever change with this program.
This team intrigues me. For the first time Fred has depth. At least 10 players who are legit D1. IF they can get healthy(especially Kieta) and stay out of trouble , they could put together a good year. It seems Fred’s biggest challenge will be coming up with the best rotation that will exclude some good players (can’t play 11-12 players in contested games).

We have a somewhat deep roster with some experienced players. We have a super easy out of conference schedule to get some wins as they build confidence and cohesion before moving to conference play.
Hopefully this can be the year they actually move the needle

Reactions: leodisflowers
We have a somewhat deep roster with some experienced players. We have a super easy out of conference schedule to get some wins as they build confidence and cohesion before moving to conference play.
Hopefully this can be the year they actually move the needle
Our conference schedule sets up well too. Will be tough, but if Fred can't get it done this year then he should be toast.

Hats off and respect to you guys still hanging in there as caring fans of this program.
I. Just. Can't. Do. It.

Isn't Lindenwood a 55 and over community?
Cmon, how good could they be?
LOL, I thought the exact same thing! "Wait, we're playing a Senior community rec team?"

Trev had his hands full making sure he picked a quality football coach last year and the team did finish the season winning 6 of their last 8 finishing 16-16.If anything he should have been fired the year prior..

Hoieberg gets another year to prove himself in the conference and not be one of the last 4 teams in the league..
[/QU

Duquesne is 92 in kenpom

The Nebraska "Next Year's". Mascot is Linus from the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

Nebraska is cursed so they won't do well, but hopefully well enough to keep Fred around but bad enough to not give him a raise so we don't waste any more money on this pathetic program, literally the worst sports program of all sports in division 1. Spend the money on football and football only, any dime on basketball is wasted.

It was one game, but that was the most competent I’ve seen a Hoiberg team in game 1 by a LONG shot. Being a bubble is not out of the question, though still unlikely

The Nebraska "Next Year's". Mascot is Linus from the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

Nebraska is cursed so they won't do well, but hopefully well enough to keep Fred around but bad enough to not give him a raise so we don't waste any more money on this pathetic program, literally the worst sports program of all sports in division 1. Spend the money on football and football only, any dime on basketball is wasted.
Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is top notch, but your post isn't. Don't stop investing in bball, invest more in both. Money brings profits.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT