ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

Two schools from the SEC have made contact

Those aren't the two schools I've heard. These two are definitely destination jobs, and had already been rumored to be considering a change at the top. Not saying the two you mentioned haven't also contacted him as well, but this source is as good as one could want, without talking directly to the person. I've also been told that we haven't made contact. That is disconcerting..

Tennessee would be an obvious destination type job that could be open. Can't imagine what the other would be aTm?

Why would we be making contact right now? They are getting the AD in first.

You don't have to get an AD to simply make contact.These two schools are highly regarded programs. We don't want to potentially wait until we hire an AD to express any interest. Why put yourself behind in any sort of relationship building when you don't have to?

Dear Scott, sorry to disturb you but...
I feel that I should be heard loud and clear
We all need a big reduction in the amount of tears
And all the people that you made in your image
See them fighting in the street
Cause they can't make opinions meet about
Scott

Reactions: 9and4
It really seems on this board at least that the anti-frost obsession is much stronger than the pro-frost obsession.
In fact it's getting slightly creepy. He must live rent free in some people's heads all day.

Reactions: HuskerDana
It really seems on this board at least that the anti-frost obsession is much stronger than the pro-frost obsession.
In fact it's getting slightly creepy. He must live rent free in some people's heads all day.

Frost is considered "Tradition Coalition" and those anti-TC bandits need to tow the line. Am not sure what they represent, exactly. Hate everything TO (but he was a pretty good coach), no love for players from the 90s or earlier (including John Parrella, who is now just a pretty good coach like TO), support any regime change that avoids any former Husker or perceived Husker ties.

The playbook is strange, I don't get it, sounds to me like a bunch of fans who couldn't get into Memorial Stadium before 1999 and are still bitter about it.

Scott-Frost-Valentine.png

Frost is considered "Tradition Coalition" and those anti-TC bandits need to tow the line. Am not sure what they represent, exactly. Hate everything TO (but he was a pretty good coach), no love for players from the 90s or earlier (including John Parrella, who is now just a pretty good coach like TO), support any regime change that avoids any former Husker or perceived Husker ties.

The playbook is strange, I don't get it, sounds to me like a bunch of fans who couldn't get into Memorial Stadium before 1999 and are still bitter about it.
That whole line of thinking is baffling. I get that the program needs to stay current bug to hate on it's past is simply weird

That whole line of thinking is baffling. I get that the program needs to stay current bug to hate on it's past is simply weird

Exactly, especially if they were never part of its past. Lots of them were Pro-Pelini and made a hard U-turn and will never give him any credit. So they went TC and then backed out and never looked back. And they actually supported that scumbag SE, who was an instant chump the minute he stepped on campus.

My opinion is that many see the potential frost hire as a knee jerk reaction. We went outside the family and now are a bad team. Going after frost doesn’t automatically solve our problems, especially if he isn’t the best guy out there.

Hiring Frost is the easy way out... we should go after the best we can possibly get. The challenge is hat maybe Frost is that diamond in the rough, the best we can get. If we hire him, quite a few will think we settled rather than aimed high. We went after the low hanging fruit. For those who think this, should Frost be hired, he will have to prove himself, maybe similar to Riley for those who were against his hire from the start.

I doubt that most on here who are pumping the breaks think he would be a bad coach at Nebraska... we just can’t afford to get this wrong again.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
My opinion is that many see the potential frost hire as a knee jerk reaction. We went outside the family and now are a bad team. Going after frost doesn’t automatically solve our problems, especially if he isn’t the best guy out there.

Hiring Frost is the easy way out... we should go after the best we can possibly get. The challenge is hat maybe Frost is that diamond in the rough, the best we can get. If we hire him, quite a few will think we settled rather than aimed high. We went after the low hanging fruit. For those who think this, should Frost be hired, he will have to prove himself, maybe similar to Riley for those who were against his hire from the start.

I doubt that most on here who are pumping the breaks think he would be a bad coach at Nebraska... we just can’t afford to get this wrong again.

Here is the perceived TC in a nutshell. Old buffoons who want to see a complete meltdown so we can bring in SF.

Pretty clear that Frost has evolved into a sought after young coach. My own thinking is that if Riley were to be let go, we pursue a promising guy on the younger side of things rather than the standard pick off of the coaching carousel. But at present, I am supporting the current HC of the program.

I have no problem with your opinion on this issue and can't disagree.
At this point it shouldn't matter, Riley can still manage a good season and tomorrow would be a big step toward that.
But if Riley doesn't work out or if he retires, frost should absolutely be a serious candidate. People say the only reason he would be considered is he's from Nebraska.....to the contrary, if he continues having a good season, I believe the only reason someone wouldn't want him is because he's from Nebraska based on the obsession I'm seeing on this forum about it. He's obviously a serious power five candidate.
People are chasing and fighting windmills it seems. It's getting absurd.

Reactions: timnsun

Yeah, it astounds me all the hate towards TO, when he is the very reason why we have been able to afford upgrades throughout the athletic department. He is why we were quickly picked up by the B1G when we went looking around. He IS the very reason why we are getting Beaucoup dolares from B1G HQ.

Yeah, it would be a terrible thing to have a coach that has won a national title, has coached in a national title game, and has worked under some of the best offensive and defensive minds in college football, and seems to have turned a program around in one short year. Oh the horror of it all..

Reactions: oldjar07
Yeah, it astounds me all the hate towards TO, when he is the very reason why we have been able to afford upgrades throughout the athletic department. He is why we were quickly picked up by the B1G when we went looking around. He IS the very reason why we are getting Beaucoup dolares from B1G HQ.

Yeah, it would be a terrible thing to have a coach that has won a national title, has coached in a national title game, and has worked under some of the best offensive and defensive minds in college football, and seems to have turned a program around in one short year. Oh the horror of it all..
People that have the yips on this possible hire want more than a one year turnaround... That's not unreasonable, is it? To want to see more sustained success?

Frost is appealing to me, and I would celebrate his hire. But I get the other side of things here as well.

Reactions: SoFL Husker

I'm fully in favor of doing a national search, if it comes to removing our current coach. Get the best guy we can, with the funds we have available. If we can get a very good established coach. But if someone pulls another Eichorst FU and we end up looking at our 4th or 5th choice, why the hell wouldn't we pursue a young up and coming coach like Frost?

I think it's good that we have another half a season to take a look at his building resume. If UCF has a very good year, we would be making another major program killing blunder not to include him in the mix.

People that have the yips on this possible hire want more than a one year turnaround... That's not unreasonable, is it? To want to see more sustained success?

Frost is appealing to me, and I would celebrate his hire. But I get the other side of things here as well.

I think us hiring an AD that was a social mushroom was a huge gaffe. How well can a guy like SE develop relationships with good coaches when he can't even come out of his office more than once every blue moon to talk to the Husker masses? GD it makes me mad all over again what Harvey did to us with that fking hire!

Reactions: SoFL Husker
I have no problem with your opinion on this issue and can't disagree.
At this point it shouldn't matter, Riley can still manage a good season and tomorrow would be a big step toward that.
But if Riley doesn't work out or if he retires, frost should absolutely be a serious candidate. People say the only reason he would be considered is he's from Nebraska.....to the contrary, if he continues having a good season, I believe the only reason someone wouldn't want him is because he's from Nebraska based on the obsession I'm seeing on this forum about it. He's obviously a serious power five candidate.
People are chasing and fighting windmills it seems. It's getting absurd.

I am not sure that is totally accurate.

My opinion is that more fans would be comfortable with a home grown hire, because he is home grown. That is what they remember as success and have a belief that in order to win at Nebraska you have to do things a certain way. Most of that is because Tom Osborne believes that but some of that is because the coaches that did come here, as outsiders and as non power running coaches, have not match the success Osborne had. However, I would say that the outsider coaches that were hired weren't on anyone's list of must have coaches. Meaning that if a guy like Mike Leach came to Nebraska, there is no doubt in my mind that he could get his offense to produce numbers like he does at Washington St. A ball control passing game can work at Nebraska, the issue would be the defensive side of the ball. Now I am not advocating Leach to become the next head coach, just pointing out that when you hire inferior coaches you get inferior results.

I think where people are a bit ill-informed is what kind of offense Frost would runs now and what he would run at Nebraska. Some believe he will be a power run type coach, but if you watch his teams, they can run the ball, but it is because they spread you out and are effective with tempo and quick passes. That is nothing like what Nebraska ran when he was a player.

I am for getting the best possible coach we can get, not necessarily getting the first coach that says yes. If Frost is the best guy I am all for it. If we can get someone with more experience and a prolonged history of success, I say we get him. I just don't want to hire Frost because it's convenient and easily sold to the masses.

I am not sure that is totally accurate.

My opinion is that more fans would be comfortable with a home grown hire, because he is home grown. That is what they remember as success and have a belief that in order to win at Nebraska you have to do things a certain way. Most of that is because Tom Osborne believes that but some of that is because the coaches that did come here, as outsiders and as non power running coaches, have not match the success Osborne had. However, I would say that the outsider coaches that were hired weren't on anyone's list of must have coaches. Meaning that if a guy like Mike Leach came to Nebraska, there is no doubt in my mind that he could get his offense to produce numbers like he does at Washington St. A ball control passing game can work at Nebraska, the issue would be the defensive side of the ball. Now I am not advocating Leach to become the next head coach, just pointing out that when you hire inferior coaches you get inferior results.

I think where people are a bit ill-informed is what kind of offense Frost would runs now and what he would run at Nebraska. Some believe he will be a power run type coach, but if you watch his teams, they can run the ball, but it is because they spread you out and are effective with tempo and quick passes. That is nothing like what Nebraska ran when he was a player.

I am for getting the best possible coach we can get, not necessarily getting the first coach that says yes. If Frost is the best guy I am all for it. If we can get someone with more experience and a prolonged history of success, I say we get him. I just don't want to hire Frost because it's convenient and easily sold to the masses.
I'm not sure what specifically about my post you found inaccurate and I don't disagree with what you've said.
I simply mean that based on this forum there is a lot more frost hate than frost love. It seems more want to dismiss him based on his alumni status than those who want him for his alumni status.
It would be silly to disqualify him, or to think the only reason someone would want him is because he went to NU. I'm sure there are people out there who only want him as coach due to his NU ties, but he has MUCH more going for him than just that.......and anyone who denies it is just as guilty of being irrationally biased.
I'm just seeing a lot of hypocrites on here, is all.

It seems more want to dismiss him based on his alumni status

I haven't seen one post saying this. I see LOTS that say there is not enough evidence (yet) to say that Frost is the most qualified candidate out there.

I'm not sure what specifically about my post you found inaccurate and I don't disagree with what you've said.
I simply mean that based on this forum there is a lot more frost hate than frost love. It seems more want to dismiss him based on his alumni status than those who want him for his alumni status.
It would be silly to disqualify him, or to think the only reason someone would want him is because he went to NU. I'm sure there are people out there who only want him as coach due to his NU ties, but he has MUCH more going for him than just that.......and anyone who denies it is just as guilty of being irrationally biased.
I'm just seeing a lot of hypocrites on here, is all.

You are confusing not being 100% sold on Frost as hate. I guess that is just the world we live in but damn, it is almost impossible to have a conversation on here anymore with out it becoming about being 100% on one side or 100% on the other. Why can't someone have the opinion that Scott Frost is a great young, up and coming coach and still not think he is the best fit at Nebraska in 2018 without that being construed as "Frost hate"

No one is dismissing his based on his alumni status. But his alumni status shouldn't be the reason he is considered for the job. If Joe Poster says, we need to get back to the 90's way of doing things and Scott Frost is the answer. That poster is ill-informed. This is the same Joe Poster that complains not stop about running the ball and throwing on 3rd and 3. Guess what Scott Frost is not exclusively run the ball guy and he throws the ball on 3rd and short.

It's a message board, there will always be hypocritical comments. I am sure some of your posts are contradictory.

I haven't seen one post saying this. I see LOTS that say there is not enough evidence (yet) to say that Frost is the most qualified candidate out there.
"The only reason people want him is because he played here" is absolutely said here a lot and is absolutely a dismissal.
Add in the fact that there are numerous posters trying to make fun of all the frost love that there is actually more negative-frost posting than there is pro-frost posting. There are a lot of people chasing windmills on here. But if you call them out the whole "oh just kiddin" crap the frat boy pulls in the bar when someone gets tired of his bs and challenges him is said.
It's kind of funny actually how obsessed people are becoming with the fact that he might be a candidate should the job open up.
And he will be a power five candidate everywhere after this year, if you don't see that, it alone is frost hate.

The problem that some people have is that they live in a fantasy land mentally when it comes to thinking about a new head coach. Scott Frost is the most realistic chance at getting a bright, young mind to come to Nebraska to lead this football program.

We are in a transition stage for college football hires. The greats like Saban, Miles, Harbaugh, Stoops, and the like are all older now and will be gone from the game in the next 10ish or more years.

The programs that are smart and hire the next generation of great coaches will be the programs that thrive in the future. LSU fired their coach, which was down right stupid, and now lost their identity like Nebraska did after Solich. They will struggle to find themselves in the immediate future.

Georgia hired an alumn of their school and he is young and is panning out. Georgia is about to go on a long run of dominant football and it will be fun to watch. Clemson isn't going anywhere under Dabo. Dabo is only 47 years old. That guy is going to go down as one of the all-time greats before he is done and he has a good 20 years left to coach.

Scott Frost is 42 years old. It is time to go and get Scott Frost and let him run this program for the next 20ish years. Chances are that he will win multiple conference titles and maybe even a national title.

You are confusing not being 100% sold on Frost as hate. I guess that is just the world we live in but damn, it is almost impossible to have a conversation on here anymore with out it becoming about being 100% on one side or 100% on the other. Why can't someone have the opinion that Scott Frost is a great young, up and coming coach and still not think he is the best fit at Nebraska in 2018 without that being construed as "Frost hate"

No one is dismissing his based on his alumni status. But his alumni status shouldn't be the reason he is considered for the job. If Joe Poster says, we need to get back to the 90's way of doing things and Scott Frost is the answer. That poster is ill-informed. This is the same Joe Poster that complains not stop about running the ball and throwing on 3rd and 3. Guess what Scott Frost is not exclusively run the ball guy and he throws the ball on 3rd and short.

It's a message board, there will always be hypocritical comments. I am sure some of your posts are contradictory.
I'm sure I've been hypocritical, but let me try to explain better.
Tuco, look around at the frost posts.
Ok not hate...is a better word negative? Negative posts? And people aren't all simply saying "I don't think he's proven it yet". It's a lot of high school girl type comments.
It's an observation: while there are people who want frost, there are more who don't.
Many people call out frost lovers as only wanting him because he went here and he hasn't proven it yet. This is absolutely false. There are many other reasons he should be a candidate, and if people can't see that, then I believe it is because they don't want him because he played here. But that's crazy talk, isn't it???
Do you see the hypocritical aspect now? When someone on here wants him, it's only because he played here and he'll run the triple option and people are stuck in the past and stupid etc etc. (you are guilty of this as evidenced above).
But when someone on here says something negative about frost or the fans who want him, no matter how childish, it's completely rational and has nothing to do with the fact that he played here.
This is hypocritical.
I have seen many more negative frost posts than positives.
Barring a collapse of the UCf season, frost will absolutely be one of the top power five candidates after this season. Whether he stays or goes is up to him, but he will get serious inquiries and consideration from power five programs.

"The only reason people want him is because he played here" is absolutely said here a lot and is absolutely a dismissal.
Add in the fact that there are numerous posters trying to make fun of all the frost love that there is actually more negative-frost posting than there is pro-frost posting. There are a lot of people chasing windmills on here. But if you call them out the whole "oh just kiddin" crap the frat boy pulls in the bar when someone gets tired of his bs and challenges him is said.
It's kind of funny actually how obsessed people are becoming with the fact that he might be a candidate should the job open up.
And he will be a power five candidate everywhere after this year, if you don't see that, it alone is frost hate.

IF anyone is seriously saying he should be disqualified just because he played here, they are an idiot.

The simple fact of the matter in this day and age of college football, going to an LSU or Texas or Nebraska from another mid to top P5 school doesn't happen. There have probably a handful of coaches that left a top 30 P5 job and went directly to another P5 job in the last 15 years.

I can only think of a few that left a P5 job at all for another P5 job on their own.

Riley to Nebraska from Oregon St
Franklin to Penn St from Vandy
Les Miles to LSU from Ok St
Paul Chryst to Wisconsin from Pitt- Alum
Rich Rodriguez from West Virg to Michigan
Bielema from Wisconsin to Arkansas
Andersen from Wisconsin to Oregon St

All but Andersen was a step up in prestige from "lower funded or supported" P5 programs.

IF anyone is seriously saying he should be disqualified just because he played here, they are an idiot.
They won't come out and say it.
But all the childish animosity toward him and fans who want him, coupled with the refusal to admit he has a solid resume and will be a power five candidate, really makes me really wonder.

I'm sure I've been hypocritical, but let me try to explain better.
Tuco, look around at the frost posts.
Ok not hate...is a better word negative? Negative posts? And people aren't all simply saying "I don't think he's proven it yet". It's a lot of high school girl type comments.
It's an observation: while there are people who want frost, there are more who don't.
Many people call out frost lovers as only wanting him because he went here and he hasn't proven it yet. This is absolutely false. There are many other reasons he should be a candidate, and if people can't see that, then I believe it is because they don't want him because he played here. But that's crazy talk, isn't it???
Do you see the hypocritical aspect now? When someone on here wants him, it's only because he played here and he'll run the triple option and people are stuck in the past and stupid etc etc. (you are guilty of this as evidenced above).
But when someone on here says something negative about frost or the fans who want him, no matter how childish, it's completely rational and has nothing to do with the fact that he played here.
This is hypocritical.
I have seen many more negative frost posts than positives.
Barring a collapse of the UCf season, frost will absolutely be one of the top power five candidates after this season. Whether he stays or goes is up to him, but he will get serious inquiries and consideration from power five programs.

The Frost jokes that are like Chuck Norris memes? That is what you are using as proof of Frost hate. I guess you take things said on here a little more seriously than I do. I have participated in those little jokes, that doesn't mean I don't think Frost isn't a good coach. Its all in good fun. But hey lets continue with the all or nothing posts if that is how you want to do it. everyone pick sides and battle to the death

It's freaking football message board.

The Frost jokes that are like Chuck Norris memes? That is what you are using as proof of Frost hate. I guess you take things said on here a little more seriously than I do. I have participated in those little jokes, that doesn't mean I don't think Frost isn't a good coach. Its all in good fun. But hey lets continue with the all or nothing posts if that is how you want to do it. everyone pick sides and battle to the death

It's freaking football message board.
No, not the chuck Norris memes. I liked a few of those posts and thought they were funny, one was a direct response to a post of mine.
Your head is in the sand.
Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post and my points, proves you got nothin.

The simple fact of the matter in this day and age of college football, going to an LSU or Texas or Nebraska from another mid to top P5 school doesn't happen. There have probably a handful of coaches that left a top 30 P5 job and went directly to another P5 job in the last 15 years.

I can only think of a few that left a P5 job at all for another P5 job on their own.

Riley to Nebraska from Oregon St
Franklin to Penn St from Vandy
Les Miles to LSU from Ok St
Paul Chryst to Wisconsin from Pitt- Alum
Rich Rodriguez from West Virg to Michigan
Bielema from Wisconsin to Arkansas
Andersen from Wisconsin to Oregon St

All but Andersen was a step up in prestige from "lower funded or supported" P5 programs.

Yep, very rare does it happen. It isn't a realistic line of thinking but yet people have those delusions.

It will be very rare to see a Saban going from Michigan State to LSU to the pros and then back to a college program (Alabama). That isn't a realistic path of career moves for almost every college football coach regardless of how good they are.

Harbaugh went from San Diego to Stanford to the pros and back to Michigan and the only reason Harbaugh went back to the college game was to coach for his alma mater. And it was only 13 years ago that Harbaugh was at San Diego. Now Harbaugh is 53 years old and may finish his coaching career at Michigan.

Nebraska isn't going to pull a P5 coach that is a proven winner and yes I know that is what people keep dreaming about. It isn't going to happen.

Herman is locked up at Texas for years to come. Dabo is all set at Clemson. Saban is set. Harbaugh is set at Michigan. David Shaw is set at Stanford (overrated coach).

Programs are going to go after the Purdue coach but how realistic is it that he is going to leave there after just one season? Fleck isn't going to be leaving MN. Fleck has always had a desire to coach in the B1G and now he can build up the Gophers. Virginia Tech's coach is all set.

Reactions: oldjar07
No, not the chuck Norris memes. I liked a few of those posts and thought they were funny, one was a direct response to a post of mine.
Your head is in the sand.
Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post and my points, proves you got nothin.

Here is the problem with message boards. A poster can post something that is in no way meant to be derogatory or inflammatory, but someone takes it that way and runs with it and calls it whatever and then lines are drawn.

The other thing that happens is that people will copy a portion of what you typed and argue small portions of a very large discussion. You are then forced to spend time discussing a point that in no way reflects your true opinion nor the whole story of what you wrote originally, but by then it is too late. The thread is off the tracks and again the battle lines are drawn.

I would venture to say that most people on here want what is good for Nebraska football. We all just have different ideas on how to accomplish that goal. The problem is that none of us are the person that gets to fix it. So we get on here and vent.

As I have said before, I wasn't really a fan of the Riley hire, but I wanted Pelini out so, like Kaz said yesterday, some of us are getting what we deserved. I was the biggest bitcher and moaner of the Pelini era but I decided with the Riley hire that I was going to support who we have in place because I really have no control of the deal. It also gave me an opportunity to look at other schemes and learn. So because I decided to support the Riley hire, I was labeled a "Riley Lover" and have found myself defending things that I may or may not believe or support because the alternative was bitching full time again. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I will survive.

What I did come to learn or realize is that there are many ways to skin a cat and the coach is the reason we will be successful at Nebraska, not the schemes they choose to run.

Reactions: WHCSC
I would venture to say that most people on here want what is good for Nebraska football. We all just have different ideas on how to accomplish that goal. The problem is that none of us are the person that gets to fix it. So we get on here and vent.

Not to get off track, but this is true of practically every topic on a national scale as well. Bravo!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT