ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

For what it's worth...

I live in Atlanta and so naturally the sports talk radio stations focus primarily on SEC football. With LSU, Texas A&M, and Tennessee struggling and coaching changes on the horizon, I found it interesting whose name was mentioned as the hot candidate for each of these jobs... Scott Frost. He's known as an offensive innovator and solid recruiter.

I don't know if it's time for Mike Riley to go at Nebraska or if Scott Frost is ready to move on to be a head coach in a power five conference, but it certainly seems like his name is picking up a lot of momentum. If the new AD decides to stick with Riley for another season, then perhaps we will miss our window for Frost.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
All great points. As I stated last week, I think it's far from a certainty that he comes here if asked anyway. It's something that most of the Scott Frost obsessed people won't even consider. His coming here is treated as a 100% automatic, foregone conclusion-an assumption that is foolish at best and delusional at worst.
Part of my reason for ridiculing the overwrought hype machine for him is that I think the coaching job he has done there is being blown out of proportion to what he's actually accomplished. I am quite sure if he wasn't a former Husker player, most of our fans would look at his record and think he might be a nice possibility with a couple more years experience, or maybe as a backup plan if other better options turned us down, but nobody would be cranking up the hype machine for him like they are now. But part of my reason to fight against the hype machine for him is I think people are getting way ahead of themselves and setting themselves up for major disappointment if he says no. Certainly, I could see him agreeing to come here. But I most definitely could see him turning us down too for a number of different reasons. And at this point, I wouldn't be tremendously disappointed if he did either.

To some people, if you don't believe that Scott Frost is the greatest prospect in coaching right now and you suggest for a moment that he might not be waiting on the edge of his seat to come here, then you are a Scott Frost hater. I call it having a realistic and objective viewpoint on him. I'm certainly not unalterably opposed to maybe eventually hiring him at some point, but I wish people would just dial down all of the hype on him and maybe use some of that enthusiasm to support the coach and team we have now.
Holy cow,this guy is been spending to much time in Colorado smoking up.Scott Frost hasnt proved shit yet that he is ready to take over here.He beat Mary,so what..He played them after there 1st string qb and there 2nd got hurt and couldnt play before they played them .They have gtech on there list,but they got canceled.

When he was at the beavers ,he was Co ofc ,so you cant say it was all on him how good they were..Every body outside of your husker sites that wasnt pumping sunshine up peoples asses to sell memeberships ,said we would be lucky to win 6 games ,since we had a New defense and Riley would be going with a different o plan.But the ass holes here and on other sites pumped up our team to keep people happy so we will keep buying a membership to there site.

If you want change ,you should start by dropping your membership to these sites ,before you get pissed off because some fat reporter ,who never ever played the game ,went to college and now has the job of selling husker football to keep his job!!!

I say give Mike Riley a couple of more years to get this right!!!He has been bringing in some of the best recruits we have seen here in along time and he needs a few more years before we start looking for a New coach.Tom Osborne was givin alot of time,but it paid off!! We need to stay the course!!!

We havent had this kind of recruiting luck in along time ,so we owe it to him for 2 more years!!

What recruiting luck? Its not as great as you think. We have a pretty good looking recruiting program and coordination. I give most of that to Andy Vaughn. Lets keep him.

Not to mention.......it looks like the other important aspects of coaching such as development, game day planning, schemes and player motivation are at best good and nowhere near great. We are mediocre.

I don't believe LSU will fire Orgeron after 1 season, they would owe him $12 million combined with the $9 million they are paying Les to not coach. But I suppose anything is possible.

With A&M, the AD backed himself into a corner with his preseason "win or else" comments. Aggies are 4-1 with 4 games remaining where I could easily see them winning, New Mexico, Mississippi, Mississippi St and LSU. Then with games at Florida, and Alabama and Auburn at home, get one win there and its 9-3, with a true freshman QB. Sumlin can still save his job.

I think Jones' goose is cooked, but damn that schedule has some wins remaining. I wouldn't be shocked if they get to 8 or 9 wins. Tennessee is a nice job, but their fan and adminisitration expectations exceed what they have accomplished as a program. I would expect Tee Martin to be the hire there, if Jones doesn't survive. Just like Nebraska with Frost, the fans would be more patient with one of their own.

I don't believe LSU will fire Orgeron after 1 season, they would owe him $12 million combined with the $9 million they are paying Les to not coach. But I suppose anything is possible.

With A&M, the AD backed himself into a corner with his preseason "win or else" comments. Aggies are 4-1 with 4 games remaining where I could easily see them winning, New Mexico, Mississippi, Mississippi St and LSU. Then with games at Florida, and Alabama and Auburn at home, get one win there and its 9-3, with a true freshman QB. Sumlin can still save his job.

I think Jones' goose is cooked, but damn that schedule has some wins remaining. I wouldn't be shocked if they get to 8 or 9 wins. Tennessee is a nice job, but their fan and adminisitration expectations exceed what they have accomplished as a program. I would expect Tee Martin to be the hire there, if Jones doesn't survive. Just like Nebraska with Frost, the fans would be more patient with one of their own.

Good take Tuco..https://watchstadium.com/news/tee-martin-to-tennessee-volunteer-reunion-knoxville-02-06-2017/

Reactions: HuskerDana
Actually, I wish that were true, but with this particular poster, I can’t be sure.

And I disagree that there are “haters”. Why does skepticism equal hater?

You should probably ask that same question of those that take issue with folks being skeptical of Riley. I don't think anyone hates Riley. How could anyone be a 'hater' of Mike Riley? He's the most affable guy a person could come across. But I can see why people would be skeptical of his coaching.

Anyway, we'll find out a lot about his future in the next few weeks. I, for one, am hopeful he can continue the momentum.

Sorry ..Your right i should of said Ducks..Mike does need more time...Tom Osborne Did get alot of time.Im 53 and he sucked for a long time.Us older fans can remember him never being able to beat the Sooners.And was called out many many times to be Fired!! .If he couldnt beat them or,He couldnt beat The florida teams when he did beat Sooners!!

We won College National in the 70,s and it took Tom until Mid 90'S before he repeated it after many times of our team choking under his years.I was around when they wanted the eat crow coach and his crew gone..We are so in need to be a great team again we fire coaches like nothing.I say give Mike time..I think he will get us atleast a Big ten title.If we beat Wisconsin and Ohio St all the Scotty Frost fan club will start to hide there faces.

Scout Frost sure hasnt showed he can recruit even their..Look at his top 3 star player!!He'll he came here and only had 3 star players he would be showed the door quik as shit ..And all these talent scouts on here would hide there asses,qiucker then shit!!.

We alot of star talent this week and we would never never see it under Scotty Frost....

Soooo...that guy that never won fewer than 9 games (with an 11-game schedule) sucked early did he? Because he couldn't beat the best program in college football at the time? Good Lord, just stop posting already.

So you're already putting tick marks in the win column for both Wisconsin and Ohio State? Again, just stop posting.

We will always be able to recruit pretty well at Nebraska, regardless of the coaching staff. It's just a difference of how many 3-stars we can replace with 4-stars with each recruiting class. But we will always get 3-stars and better at Nebraska. Pelini showed you can loaf and have 3+ star averages in each class.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerDana
If you have determined that your current coach isn't going to succeed (admittedly highly subjective) then your next hire - regardless of who it is - has a better chance of succeeding than the coach you currently have in place. There are no sure hires. Each hire is done with the best of intentions, but the fear that the next guy might not succeed shouldn't cause you to keep a coach that isn't going to succeed.

The rub here is how certain can one be that our current coach isn't eventually going to succeed. Some are willing to use current trajectory to extrapolate and others want another year or 2 in order to have more certainty.

Part of any head coaching hire at a traditional football school with a passionate fan base should involve the question of - if we struggle in year 3 will this coach still have the support of the fan base.

Last edited:
If you have determined that your current coach isn't going to succeed (admittedly highly subjective) then your next hire - regardless of who it is - has a better chance of succeeding than the coach you currently have in place. There are no sure hires. Each hire is done with the best of intentions, but the fear that the next guy might not succeed shouldn't cause you to keep a coach that isn't going to succeed.

The rub here is how certain can one be that our current coach isn't eventually going to succeed. Some are willing to use current trajectory to extrapolate and others want another year or 2 in order to have more certainty.

Agree, in a vacuum that is even more accurate.

Man, that guy could run the option to perfection.

I wonder if the offense that we ran with Frost was in reality the first (or one of the first) of what would later be referred to as the wildcat offense

we were pretty heavy QB based run if I recall - we ran a lot of power - between the tackle - plays that were not option based but pure QB runs behind a lead blocker(s)

Last edited:
Yeah, that was a lot of fun to watch. What also stood out was the blocking. Holy cow did he have room to run!

It's a combo, both Frazier and Frost had the Football IQ and athleticism to read the defense and see the running lanes. Hell, on a lot of these plays, the pitch or the QB run would have worked, plus there is likely a WR running wide open down the field.

In our current offense, we have a statue at QB trying to thread the seam like Tom Brady into throwing lanes about the size of my computer screen.

So yea, count me as a Frost offense advocate in CFB. And Watkins at Houston is tearing it up in the Pros so the evolution toward mobile Qbs with high football IQ and passing ability continues unabated. GBR

Yeah, that was a lot of fun to watch. What also stood out was the blocking. Holy cow did he have room to run!
I wonder if the offense that we ran with Frost was in reality the first (or one of the first) of what would later be referred to as the wildcat offense

we were pretty heavy QB based run if I recall - we ran a lot of power - between the tackle - plays that were not option based but pure QB runs behind a lead blocker(s)

I would say our offense was more so an earlier version of a run-heavy spread, except we ran power sets out of the I most of the time.

I remember a play that we ran a fair amount when Frost was QB. He would fake to the FB, then follow the FB and I-back into the hole, but it was QB run all the way. I'm pretty sure that was a new wrinkle, and didn't run that play with the '94 or '95 teams. But think about that...having two lead blockers leading you through the hole. Was so cool to watch.

Reactions: jlb321

The fullback trap was also fun to watch. And then we ran a fricken QB trap play against Florida in the Fiesta Bowl. I burst out laughing when I saw Tommie run that. That pretty much signified that we were having our way with them at that point, and TO added that for just the Fiesta Bowl, because I don't remember it at all in earlier games.

I would say our offense was more so an earlier version of a run-heavy spread, except we ran power sets out of the I most of the time.

I remember a play that we ran a fair amount when Frost was QB. He would fake to the FB, then follow the FB and I-back into the hole, but it was QB run all the way. I'm pretty sure that was a new wrinkle, and didn't run that play with the '94 or '95 teams. But think about that...having two lead blockers leading you through the hole. Was so cool to watch.
The first time that play was run was against Washington in 1997. I think Frost scored his first TD of the game on that play.

I really hope we beat Wisconsin, even more so because the Scott Frost speculation is already exhausting and we're only half-way through the season. To me, it's not really worth speculating until we know who the next athletic director is going to be.

What recruiting luck? Its not as great as you think. We have a pretty good looking recruiting program and coordination. I give most of that to Andy Vaughn. Lets keep him.

Not to mention.......it looks like the other important aspects of coaching such as development, game day planning, schemes and player motivation are at best good and nowhere near great. We are mediocre.
Do you have more information on that? I don't know anything about Andy Vaughn, but it seems plausible. Riley didn't seem to go after many big recruits at Oregon State, but now he's going after multiple 5 star and high 4 star recruits, and has them on visits. Not to discredit Riley, but I don't think he does that on his own.

The first time that play was run was against Washington in 1997. I think Frost scored his first TD of the game on that play.

Yup, I remember it being run during that game. Such a cool play to watch develop.

Do you have more information on that? I don't know anything about Andy Vaughn, but it seems plausible. Riley didn't seem to go after many big recruits at Oregon State, but now he's going after multiple 5 star and high 4 star recruits, and has them on visits. Not to discredit Riley, but I don't think he does that on his own.
I’m just spitballing here, but I’m guessing 4 and 5 star players showed little interest in Oregon State. Maybe he never went after them, or maybe he did and couldn’t get in the front door because it was Oregon State.

I really hope we beat Wisconsin, even more so because the Scott Frost speculation is already exhausting and we're only half-way through the season. To me, it's not really worth speculating until we know who the next athletic director is going to be.

Well, it's really going to get interesting, because Frost has been contacted by 2 teams from the SEC.

Several things. If an SEC team does hire Frost a) 90% of the fanbase is going to be real upset they didn't hire Chip Kelly or another big name, b) That AD is as tied to Frost as Eichorst was to Riley, and c) Frost is going to be on a short leash. SEC fans aren't known for their patience, especially with a inexperienced unproven Yankee coach. If I'm Frost, I would stay as far away as possible.

The fullback trap was also fun to watch. And then we ran a fricken QB trap play against Florida in the Fiesta Bowl. I burst out laughing when I saw Tommie run that. That pretty much signified that we were having our way with them at that point, and TO added that for just the Fiesta Bowl, because I don't remember it at all in earlier games.

Was that the no back play where a linemen bumped in to Frazier and he still ripped off like a 30 yard run?

Several things. If an SEC team does hire Frost a) 90% of the fanbase is going to be real upset they didn't hire Chip Kelly or another big name, b) That AD is as tied to Frost as Eichorst was to Riley, and c) Frost is going to be on a short leash. SEC fans aren't known for their patience, especially with a inexperienced unproven Yankee coach. If I'm Frost, I would stay as far away as possible.

Agree. If people think Nebraska has unrealistic expectations - we are actually quite reasonable compared to Tennessee, Texas A&M, Florida, LSU, Georgia, etc.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Do tell... can’t say this without a source.

I wish I could, man, but suffice it to say that it's legit info. based solely on the source it came from. If I mentioned the source, I could get some folks into trouble.

I wish I could, man, but suffice it to say that it's legit info. based solely on the source it came from. If I mentioned the source, I could get some folks into trouble.
Well, I guess that’s gotta be good enough for me... :)

as has been posted before ... timing is everything

IF Frost goes to a power 5 (SEC) school next year - he is not leaving for Nebraska after just a year or two or possibly ever. After this year Frost may not be available when and if Nebraska is looking for a new coach. Whether that is good or bad can be debated.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
This is the year to go and get Frost. Give Riley a nice negotiated buyout for retirement and also allow him the chance to stay with the program in the athletic department if he doesn't want to go into full retirement.

Reactions: Huskersrule
One is Ole Miss the other is allegedly Missouri.

Ole Miss has an interim coach and can be out looking. There are several top players looking to transfer on that Ole Miss squad. That place is TOXIC.

If what Husker Du has heard is similar to what I have heard, that Odom is a dead man walking, he stripped the DC of play calling duties a few games last year, hired a new DC and subsequently fired him after 2 games this year. Dude is just in over his head. Another toxic environment.

If those are the two schools, even if he took one of the jobs, he would leave either for Nebraska, as neither or destination jobs.

Ole Miss will be asking dozens and dozens of people before someone is willing to take that job for a pay raise. Missouri doesn't worry me for Frost.

Ole Miss has an interim coach and can be out looking. There are several top players looking to transfer on that Ole Miss squad. That place is TOXIC.

If what Husker Du has heard is similar to what I have heard, that Odom is a dead man walking, he stripped the DC of play calling duties a few games last year, hired a new DC and subsequently fired him after 2 games this year. Dude is just in over his head. Another toxic environment.

If those are the two schools, even if he took one of the jobs, he would leave either for Nebraska, as neither or destination jobs.

I reckon every school not named Alabama, Georgia. and possibly Florida and Auburn are toxic. Potential career destroying environments. Scott would best wait for a Nebraska offer (he'd might be everyone first choice, but I think we all would rally behind him if he's hired) or a PAC-12 School (because who cares?).

Scott is way too smart to go Ole Miss or Missouri. With everything that has gone on at those schools the last couple years, they are currently the 2 worst jobs in the SEC.

as has been posted before ... timing is everything

IF Frost goes to a power 5 (SEC) school next year - he is not leaving for Nebraska after just a year or two or possibly ever. After this year Frost may not be available when and if Nebraska is looking for a new coach. Whether that is good or bad can be debated.

Two schools from the SEC have made contact

Those aren't the two schools I've heard. These two are definitely destination jobs, and had already been rumored to be considering a change at the top. Not saying the two you mentioned haven't also contacted him as well, but this source is as good as one could want, without talking directly to the person. I've also been told that we haven't made contact. That is disconcerting..

Two schools from the SEC have made contact

Those aren't the two schools I've heard. These two are definitely destination jobs, and had already been rumored to be considering a change at the top. Not saying the two you mentioned haven't also contacted him as well, but this source is as good as one could want, without talking directly to the person. I've also been told that we haven't made contact. That is disconcerting..

Why would we be making contact right now? They are getting the AD in first.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT