Scott Frost

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by TarheelHuskerFan, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

After Butch Jones and Derek Dooley, I think Tennessee will be hesitant to hire another head coach from a smaller program with no ties to Tennessee.

Jim Bob Cooter might be a slam dunk if he had a better name - he's the Lions offensive coordinator and former Tennessee QB. Might be hard to recruit with that name, though. I also wouldn't be surprised if they pursued Venables.

Tennessee is pretty much the Nebraska of the SEC -haven't been relevant since the 90s. They are closer to good recruiting areas, but you also have to remember they are competing with the likes of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, etc. for these recruits. It is not an easy job by any means.

2. Doniphan89

Doniphan89 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Grass is always greener. It's a tough job folks. Just admit it. We have had a dc that was coming off of a national championship. If we didn't do it then and we didn't have success with a NFL coach, then what makes us think we can do it with SFrost...
    I know it's frustrating to hear Coach Riley with his ho hum attitude about losing but he says he understands the expectation and at the same time, He did say he is building it from the ground up. He also has a lot of talented players committed and young players learning. So what difference would Scott bring to the table. I know the ocean states have a clear advantage in recruiting, but who is having huge success besides Ohio state? So to think you can throw a recruiting class away and hire Scott to come save everything and take us to the top, in my opinion, is just wishful thinking. I think it takes so much more work to do at NU and it takes time to set up all the facets in doing it. I know, Northern illinois just beat us... Blows my mind too.
    I am fine with putting pressure on a coach to get better or else, but to not give him a little time to see what he can do once under heavy pressure is kinda why we are in this mess to begin with.
    Are we actually getting better if we keep hiring and firing every 3 years? It kills recruiting and that does play a factor into results on the field too. I am so tired of turning everything over... Maybe I just don't like change. My vote is to keep Riley atleast one more year. I know it's not popular. Don't crucify me.

3. 9and4

9and4 Junior
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't move back to Florida for any amount of money. But that's me. 20 million people (and 60 million cars) disagree, apparently.

4. Jimmy Frank

Jimmy Frank Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Yep, how long can we maintain 90k showing up watching us loose to N ILL.

5. otismotis08

otismotis08 Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Other programs survive (and even thrive) with coaching changes. PSU is killing it right now, when their program was sanctioned and punished. I know, not all situations are the same, but it they can do it, we can do it. Just need the right HC and supporting recruiters/staffers.

6. LZZOSO

LZZOSO Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Don't disagree, there is just a ton of smoke that he is at the top of their list from what I have seen,

7. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

RollingLaugh

8. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Umm in their natural recruiting base, that name is a plus......

Husker-NJ and headcard like this.
  9. Tuco Salamanca

Tuco Salamanca Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I am 99.99999999% sure none of these debates on this message board will affect whether or not Scott Frost is employed at P5 program next year.

10. coleastherb

coleastherb Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Frost! Frost! Frost! Frost!

Leads the nation in scoring. First time since the 80's that UCF has started 4-0.

Frost is legit. Frost is the only hire that could unite the program, the state, the alumni, etc.

Get it done!

Husker-NJ likes this.
  11. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

No there would still be somebody remembering him shunning NU for Stanford that would be pissed plus his staff is all non-Huskers.

12. oldjar07

oldjar07 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

They're a top 20 team this year. They are nowhere near a top 20 program. The word "Program" implies history, fan base, tradition. UCF has none of that. They only got 30,000 fans and they're stadium was half full in one of their biggest games this year. They we 0-12 just two years ago. Why is Frost likely to leave UCF for Nebraska if we weren't a better program?

13. oldjar07

oldjar07 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Well he's under pressure right now and he still controls his own destiny. Win out and he'll keep his job.

14. BigRedBeliever

BigRedBeliever Walk On
    Expand Collapse

We should of hired SF three years ago. Now is the perfect timing. Do it now or he will be lost forever. He believes in Nebraska and can get it done with Nebraska guys. He's even said that the 97 team had 10 Nebraska guys on the offense. With his spread offense, I know he can get it done...and for many years to come. I will be attending his game at SMU next month sporting my Nebraska gear. He will be our next coach!!!

Husker-NJ likes this.
  15. SiberianKnightmare

Expand Collapse

We won a BCS Bowl in 2014. We have a legit shot at another won this year. That would be 2 in 4 years. You're last BCS Bowl win was 17 years ago. All Nebraska has right now is history. I don't say that to insult, I like Nebraska. It's just the truth though.

He'll probably go to Nebraska, but it's not the slam dunk some folks think it is. He has mentioned several times how he likes the ability to recruit within a few hours of campus. He has a baby on the way. Nebraska recruits nationally. He'll be away from his newborn quite a bit. At the end of the year, he's going to have a few choices. He'll have even more over the next few years. Maybe a job like UCLA is attractive to him. That might be open soon too.

We're not in his head. Maybe he wants a place where he can recruit close to home. Maybe he wants to inherit a better situation. Maybe he wants to go back to the PAC 12. Maybe he wants to go home to Nebraska. No one truly knows.

firm_bizzle, footnfan1 and LZZOSO like this.
  16. coleastherb

coleastherb Walk On
    Expand Collapse

You are sounding desperate. Frost will be the next head coach at Nebraska.

17. SiberianKnightmare

Expand Collapse

You're talking about hiring our coach, not the other way around. Someone is desperate and it's not us.

I was a bit unfair in my post and a few others. Nebraska has more than history. Riley won 9 games last year and you guys want to run him out of town on a rail (I even bought in to that idea too). You did that to Solich after winning 10 games. Coaches see and remember that stuff.

18. LZZOSO

LZZOSO Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I think he has interest, but he has a pretty good gig down there. Easy to recruit, great area, and less stress compared to a major program. I genuinely think he loves it down there. I think he will move, but it may not be Nebraska. Tennessee I heard could be knocking at the door with some cash.

No matter what, Nebraska needs to make a good hire. Looking back on the last process I shake my head of what we could have went after and didn't. Fuentes, Herman, Chad Morris, and the list goes on. Instead.... Mike Riley. Genuine guy, .500 coach.

SiberianKnightmare likes this.
  19. SiberianKnightmare

Expand Collapse

Listen, Frost is probably going to go to Nebraska. It's just not necessarily a slam dunk. He is very smart and pragmatic about his career. He's going to entertain everything and make the best decision for him.

Remember when Urban Meyer was going to leave Utah for his "Dream Job" back at Notre Dame where he used to coach? The Catholic school that Catholic kid grew up a fan of?

He didn't take it. He went to Florida instead. Why? Because he knew he could win there more easily.

Not every business decision is made with the heart. Many are, but not all.

339 SiberianKnightmare, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  20. LZZOSO

LZZOSO Walk On
    Expand Collapse

21. HuskAir

HuskAir Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Damnit

firm_bizzle and LZZOSO like this.
  22. coleastherb

coleastherb Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Frost is the next Tom Osborne. Frost isn't the next Saban. Why is Frost the next Tom Osborne? Brilliant offensive mind. Calm, confident, collective, assertive, and demanding of excellence and toughness. He is nothing like Mike Riley.

The people who question Frost will wake up one day when Frost is the head coach in amazement of how good Frost is.

Frost will make an immediate impact at Nebraska. His players will play smarter, they will play harder, and if they are playing like crap they will not play.

Frost demands excellence.

Husker-NJ likes this.
  23. Husker-NJ

Husker-NJ Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I'll be at the game @Temple, right behind the UCF bench. Was wondering if it was rude or not to sport Husker gear with all things considered.

Ahauth likes this.
  24. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

Yes

Husker-NJ likes this.
  25. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

I see Frost filing for a TRO in your future

26. oldjar07

oldjar07 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

There's definitely some similarities. Still way too early to make comparisons to the greatest college football coach of all time.

27. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

starting to see a trend here!

28. WHCSC

WHCSC Senior
    Expand Collapse

Michigan sucks?

29. Riley_the_Crutch

Riley_the_Crutch College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Ahhhhhhh. That's it. I'm all out of lotion.

30. WHCSC

WHCSC Senior
    Expand Collapse

Will he become the AD and make a series of poor coaching hires too?