ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

First of all I'm not advocating for Scott or saying that he will be the next T.O......just thought that their background was somewhat similar...Also a disclaimer ( I got the information on Wikipedia )

both born in Central NE ( Hastings and Wood River )

T.O. played in the NFL 3 years..................Scott 6 years
T.O. unpaid assistant at NE for a year.......Scott GA at NE and Kansas St
T.O. assistant for 5 years...........................Scott assistant for 5 years
T.O. offensive coordinator for 4 years........Scott offensive coordinator for 3 years ( 1 year as co DC)
T.O. became the head coach at NE at the age of 36......Scott is 42

I'm old enough to remember when T.O became our head coach and I don't remember many complaining that he was inexperienced or too young......worked out pretty well for us......and by the way my wish is that our current team finish strong and talking about any new coach doesn't become a reality.

Scott-Frost-Valentine.png

Here is the problem with message boards. A poster can post something that is in no way meant to be derogatory or inflammatory, but someone takes it that way and runs with it and calls it whatever and then lines are drawn.

The other thing that happens is that people will copy a portion of what you typed and argue small portions of a very large discussion. You are then forced to spend time discussing a point that in no way reflects your true opinion nor the whole story of what you wrote originally, but by then it is too late. The thread is off the tracks and again the battle lines are drawn.

I would venture to say that most people on here want what is good for Nebraska football. We all just have different ideas on how to accomplish that goal. The problem is that none of us are the person that gets to fix it. So we get on here and vent.

As I have said before, I wasn't really a fan of the Riley hire, but I wanted Pelini out so, like Kaz said yesterday, some of us are getting what we deserved. I was the biggest bitcher and moaner of the Pelini era but I decided with the Riley hire that I was going to support who we have in place because I really have no control of the deal. It also gave me an opportunity to look at other schemes and learn. So because I decided to support the Riley hire, I was labeled a "Riley Lover" and have found myself defending things that I may or may not believe or support because the alternative was bitching full time again. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I will survive.

What I did come to learn or realize is that there are many ways to skin a cat and the coach is the reason we will be successful at Nebraska, not the schemes they choose to run.
I Don't disagree with any of this. And I'm not trying to infer anything about Riley.
My original intent was to point out the irrational theme out there that everyone wants frost only because he played here or they think he will run the triple option. I have seen this posted very little in comparison with the other viewpoint.
You have every right to not be sold on Scott frost yet. Others have every right to be sold, and it doesn't have to be because they are idiots who only want him due to alumni status.
I have not called for us to hire him, but I do think he should be a serious candidate, based on his resume, should the job come open. Which it has not yet.
It doesn't matter, let's go win tomorrow.

Reactions: oldjar07
XTC reference. Love it.

Only slightly less cornfused. Still creepy.

Big has been waiting months to pull this baby out. Rightly, he figured this was as close as he was going to get to actually having a reason to do so.

Kudos to 9and4 for getting on the same page with Big. ...woulda been a shame to leave him hanging.

Reactions: 9and4
I know the coaching search isn't up to fans, but what do you all think of Dan Mullen. He used to be Urban's O-Coordinator and has done a decent job at Mississippi State. A few years ago, I wanted him to be Penn State's coach among others. He's a Pennsylvania Guy, which I love and felt was important because they are more likely to understand the state and fan base. With that being said, getting a home state isn't always possible or the best available candidate at the time isn't always from your state.

Not a Dan Mullen fan. He is the Mike Riley of the SEC. His record against ranked teams is one of the worst in the country.

He is a good coach for Miss. State, but not for Nebraska.

Scott Frost would run a much better offense and would recruit better.

Reactions: Huskersrule
I know the coaching search isn't up to fans, but what do you all think of Dan Mullen. He used to be Urban's O-Coordinator and has done a decent job at Mississippi State. A few years ago, I wanted him to be Penn State's coach among others. He's a Pennsylvania Guy, which I love and felt was important because they are more likely to understand the state and fan base. With that being said, getting a home state isn't always possible or the best available candidate at the time isn't always from your state.

I like Mullen and think he's had a bit of a tough gig being at MSU and being in the SEC West. When I look at someone like Frost (who I like), I ask myself...would he have been able to do any better if he was at a team like MSU in the SEC West?

Mullen is playing second fiddle in his own state. He's done an amazing job all things considered, like location and the conference he plays in. He's solid.

SF is the only coach that could unite the fanbase, unite the alums, unite the administration, unite the team, etc.

That is "back to the 90's" that people talk about.

The only way the Frost talk ends is by hiring Frost. Until Frost is hired, the chatter will be strong. Nebraska would be making a huge mistake by not bringing Frost home.

Reactions: spinner4
nah, he is 5-9 in his last 14 SEC games.

Riley is 10-4 in his last 14 B1G games.

But with your tradition, history of success, fan support, and facilities it would be easier for him than at Mississippi State. Historically you are one of the BIG's top programs, while Mississippi State is not one of the SEC's top programs.

I think Frost is a great coach, but just to play devil's advocate UCF is his first head coaching job and they aren't in the SEC.

It is odd really...the people for Frost use the fact that he is an NU alum as a positive...The haters use it as a negative.

If they hire him, great! He better win. If they don't hire him, great! The guy they do hire better win.

Reactions: HuskerDana
But with your tradition, history of success, fan support, and facilities it would be easier for him than at Mississippi State. Historically you are one of the BIG's top programs, while Mississippi State is not one of the SEC's top programs.

I think Frost is a great coach, but just to play devil's advocate UCF is his first head coaching job and they aren't in the SEC.

Sorry , that was my Phillipe special stat of the century of the week.

I think Mullen runs a his program well. I don't like the fact that he rarely wins games he shouldn't win. His teams perform about where they are supposed to. You can't do that at Nebraska and win 10 or 11 games consistently. We need a coach that is going to get players to collectively play at a level above their individual talent. Even with Dak Prescott he was only 9-4. Personally, I wouldn't pick him to be the coach because I think he is looking to just get out of Starkvegas anyway he can. I don't think he is a long term solution. That is only the opinion of The Tuco Salamanca.

Mullen owes Dak Prescott for his career. Without him, he's been very mediocre.

In college Dak was good, not great. So far anyway, he's been a much better pro QB and I think people have a little revisionist memory when they think about himin college. Been badass as a pro so far. No way Cowboys could have known how that would work out.

If you have determined that your current coach isn't going to succeed (admittedly highly subjective) then your next hire - regardless of who it is - has a better chance of succeeding than the coach you currently have in place. There are no sure hires. Each hire is done with the best of intentions, but the fear that the next guy might not succeed shouldn't cause you to keep a coach that isn't going to succeed.

The rub here is how certain can one be that our current coach isn't eventually going to succeed. Some are willing to use current trajectory to extrapolate and others want another year or 2 in order to have more certainty.

Part of any head coaching hire at a traditional football school with a passionate fan base should involve the question of - if we struggle in year 3 will this coach still have the support of the fan base.

Yea, well, that's like your opinion man....and another thing, let me tell u something pandejo

You should probably ask that same question of those that take issue with folks being skeptical of Riley. I don't think anyone hates Riley. How could anyone be a 'hater' of Mike Riley? He's the most affable guy a person could come across. But I can see why people would be skeptical of his coaching.

Anyway, we'll find out a lot about his future in the next few weeks. I, for one, am hopeful he can continue the momentum.

What momentum? He did what was expected, beat the 2 worse teams in the Bi10. He needs to beat NW or MN to show there are 3 worse teams in the B10, after that I have no idea where another win is.

What momentum? He did what was expected, beat the 2 worse teams in the Bi10. He needs to beat NW or MN to show there are 3 worse teams in the B10, after that I have no idea where another win is.

Momentum after a loss to NIU is defined as wins over Rutgers and Illinois. Yeah sure, it has an optimistic bend, but we gotta start somewhere. :D

I haven't seen one post saying this. I see LOTS that say there is not enough evidence (yet) to say that Frost is the most qualified candidate out there.
It might not be explicitly stated, but it is implied and there are grumblings from certain posters anytime an alumni is under consideration.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The simple fact of the matter in this day and age of college football, going to an LSU or Texas or Nebraska from another mid to top P5 school doesn't happen. There have probably a handful of coaches that left a top 30 P5 job and went directly to another P5 job in the last 15 years.

I can only think of a few that left a P5 job at all for another P5 job on their own.

Riley to Nebraska from Oregon St
Franklin to Penn St from Vandy
Les Miles to LSU from Ok St
Paul Chryst to Wisconsin from Pitt- Alum
Rich Rodriguez from West Virg to Michigan
Bielema from Wisconsin to Arkansas
Andersen from Wisconsin to Oregon St

All but Andersen was a step up in prestige from "lower funded or supported" P5 programs.
That's exactly where the support for Frost is coming from. It is very unlikely that we're going to get a head coach with a better resume than Scott Frost. There may be guys with similar resumes we could get, but Frost makes a lot more sense than those guys. Intangibles are important and Scott Frost has won everywhere he's been. He's an intelligent young coach who's had success turning a team around. Frost is more likely to be interested in the job. It's his alma mater after all, and it's just a bonus that he played here, not the main reason most people want him.

Mullen has no Nebraska ties so fans won't want him. Rather have any high school coach who has a cousin that attended Nebraska.
There's plenty of Mullen threads, so it's obvious some fans want him. Aside from that, Mullen's coaching record isn't all that impressive. It's just fine for Miss St. but I think Frost would have more success here.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
SF is the only coach that could unite the fanbase, unite the alums, unite the administration, unite the team, etc.

That is "back to the 90's" that people talk about.

The only way the Frost talk ends is by hiring Frost. Until Frost is hired, the chatter will be strong. Nebraska would be making a huge mistake by not bringing Frost home.
I agree Scott Frost would get the most support from the fan base, but I don't think it's particularly important for the fan base to be united. There's always going to be fans upset over something. If we win, the fan base will be united and take care of itself.

In college Dak was good, not great. So far anyway, he's been a much better pro QB and I think people have a little revisionist memory when they think about himin college. Been badass as a pro so far. No way Cowboys could have known how that would work out.
Huh? He was a great college quarterback and in discussion for the heisman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT