ADVERTISEMENT

Rose-Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer is one that has no guts to admit....That black people play a role as equal to police in these events. Also black people need to learn the term leverage...you have non when you vote 90%+ plus for a political party..your issues are put on the back burner...the inner cities are a result of this

actually much worse. 40 years ago african americans had two parent households... Since then, it's been a 40 year reign of terror of a single predominant political party managing these decayed inner cities.. yes much much worse.. great that you pointed that out
Not sure if sarcasm...

The answer is one that has no guts to admit....That black people play a role as equal to police in these events. Also black people need to learn the term leverage...you have non when you vote 90%+ plus for a political party..your issues are put on the back burner...the inner cities are a result of this
When I coached inner-city kids in football I used to have to drive into some of the most violent neighborhoods to pick up kids who otherwise would have no transportation to play the game because their mother had gotten called into work or had to work on Saturday or Sunday or both they were always single parent households trying to do the best they could gang members pretty much ran the neighborhood and I was basically allowed to come in and out of the neighborhood without having violence committed against me because they saw me as someone who was trying to help kids in the neighborhood it was pretty scary the first time I drove in I was told I was lucky to escape with my life

Pretty sad statement that 40 years later its just as bad

40 years ago, so around 1975. Thinking 1975ish makes me think of forced integration and busing. Mobs of people holding hateful signs and throwing rocks. 2016 is NOTHING like 40 years ago. 1980's and corporations changing their hiring demographics (i.e. "the quota/it's not a quota" years) to actually be equal opportunity employers.

Pick any demographic, have them move into my neighborhood, and nobody will care. It's not 1968 anymore, not even the same universe.

40 years ago, so around 1975. Thinking 1975ish makes me think of forced integration and busing. Mobs of people holding hateful signs and throwing rocks. 2016 is NOTHING like 40 years ago. 1980's and corporations changing their hiring demographics (i.e. "the quota/it's not a quota" years) to actually be equal opportunity employers.

Pick any demographic, have them move into my neighborhood, and nobody will care. It's not 1968 anymore, not even the same universe.
my sis married an african american. dang, he was much harder on other African Americans. was not interested in the blame game

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Does that Harvard study just focus on police killing folks or does it encompass the abuse by police as well? Killings and abuse are two different things.
\
It was just the killings that there was a statistical difference.
Use of hands - 17% more likely
Push into walls - 18% more likely
Handcuffed - 16%
Draw weapons - 19%
Push to ground - 18%
Point weapon - 24%
Baton or pepper spray - 25%

Pretty sad statement that 40 years later its just as bad

actually much worse. 40 years ago african americans had two parent households... Since then, it's been a 40 year reign of terror of a single predominant political party managing these decayed inner cities.. yes much much worse.. great that you pointed that out

Good lord, that's stupid. Sure, violent crime is down, there is a ton more economic mobility for blacks, and the KKK is a joke, but changes in the black culture offends my social morality, so obviously it is much, much worse.

i remember my son being called white boy by fellow players and coaches. he just steamed ahead and played 50/50 at DT. overtime the racist comments stopped. just did his best to be kind and a good team mate.. 99 percent on this board have zero idea of what its like to be discrimated against. i got it as a coach my son as a player. i coached he played we didnt quit or whine

Reactions: OzzyLvr
my sis married an african american. dang, he was much harder on other African Americans. was not interested in the blame game
So that establishes that black players don't have a right to say that it's wrong for fans to n-bomb them? That black people are not allowed to participate alongside a lot of white people in saying that police in this country seem to have a problem with beating/shooting a variety of people of a variety of races under dubious circumstances?

What's the take-away, that MRI deserves to be kicked out of a party because some drunk bro told him it's no n-words allowed, because here's a place in another state where some black people did something bad?

What do you guys get out of running down the list of everything that you find wrong with the black community like those problems AND racist people can't both exist in the same world? Do you understand that you're using that to justify prejudice or are you doing it without even realizing what you're doing?

It's amazing. These are the same people just MAD that Ameer called it embarassing. Like "whoa whoa whoa, he's so wrong to lump me in with other people who did something ignorant!" Right. How's that feel to have that shoe on your foot?

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
So that establishes that black players don't have a right to say that it's wrong for fans to n-bomb them? That black people are not allowed to participate alongside a lot of white people in saying that police in this country seem to have a problem with beating/shooting a variety of people of a variety of races under dubious circumstances?

What's the take-away, that MRI deserves to be kicked out of a party because some drunk bro told him it's no n-words allowed, because here's a place in another state where some black people did something bad?

What do you guys get out of running down the list of everything that you find wrong with the black community like those problems AND racist people can't both exist in the same world? Do you understand that you're using that to justify prejudice or are you doing it without even realizing what you're doing?

It's amazing. These are the same people just MAD that Ameer called it embarassing. Like "whoa whoa whoa, he's so wrong to lump me in with other people who did something ignorant!" Right. How's that feel to have that shoe on your foot?
I've lived it brother I seriously doubt you ever have

Reactions: SOHusker11

Just read your post to my sister called her up except I used a angry Hillary Clinton voice which I'm sure you have she just started laughing and said here's another person dealing in the business of victimization

Just read your post to my sister called her up except I used a angry Hillary Clinton voice which I'm sure you have she just started laughing and said here's another person dealing in the business of victimization
Oh well if your sister said that then I guess it's ok to call players the n-word. Glad your sister could teach me that if you don't think kids should get called the n-word by football fans you have a victim mentality.

It's not wrong to use racial slurs, it's wrong to SAY it's wrong to use racial slurs. Glad we got that cleared up.

That's how she'd feel if I busted out some slurs against Native people, right? She'd shrug it off and be like, "Well I'm sure he can google some examples of things that aren't going well for Native people in this country, so he's right to look down on them."

Right?

Oh well if your sister said that then I guess it's ok to call players the n-word. Glad your sister could teach me that if you don't think kids should get called the n-word by football fans you have a victim mentality.

It's not wrong to use racial slurs, it's wrong to SAY it's wrong to use racial slurs. Glad we got that cleared up.

That's how she'd feel if I busted out some slurs against Native people, right? She'd shrug it off and be like, "Well I'm sure he can google some examples of things that aren't going well for Native people in this country, so he's right to look down on them."

Right?
My god do you ever listen to yourself print out your posts and read them to yourself .. you keep saying waiting reply? Reply to what you make no sense dude.

Is he free to speak his mind-- yes. However, MRI and all athletes doing this need to understand when they are using football (or whatever forum) they are doing so at their own risk. If they would do this somewhere as a normal public citizen that is totally different.

My beef with all of them is that they are doing this to "call attention" to the problems. In other words, I want someone else to fix it. They need to be the ones to work on solving the problems themselves. If that's donating money, time, etc. that's fine. You just can't expect to complain if you're not doing something yourself. That's hypocritical.

Also, MRI said he's heard the N word countless times behind the bench. I've attended 380+ games in person and don't recall hearing that word any game regardless of where I've sat. Don't we have security behind our bench and people aren't allowed there during games? I guess I'd be interested to see if others have heard that as well.

I was attending ISU during the infamous 2002 game where they boat raced us in Ames (at the time, I was on the drumline and was behind the NU bench right before the team went in for halftime).

There was a little old lady (yes a Husker fan) saying just unspeakable racial things to Diedrick as he was trying to get his team mates pumped up going into locker room.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this continues to this day.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I was attending ISU during the infamous 2002 game where they boat raced us in Ames (at the time, I was on the drumline and was behind the NU bench right before the team went in for halftime).

There was a little old lady (yes a Husker fan) saying just unspeakable racial things to Diedrick as he was trying to get his team mates pumped up going into locker room.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this continues to this day.
Let's make it clear though, that he never said he heard the "N-word" being said to him by our fans. Direct quote from the press conference(bold type added by me): "I can’t tell you the numerous amount of times I’ve heard the “n-word” being shouted at my teammates and I from opposing fans behind our bench."

Let's make it clear though, that he never said he heard the "N-word" being said to him by our fans. Direct quote from the press conference(bold type added by me): "I can’t tell you the numerous amount of times I’ve heard the “n-word” being shouted at my teammates and I from opposing fans behind our bench."
Well he heard it from our fans after Saturday.

That he hears it at all tells you that we have not arrived in the post-racial land of milk and honey where nothing is ever about anything other than your effort.

I don't get what's hard about it for people. If people will do that, they'll be comfortable enough screaming that out loud in public to a kid over a game...what's so hard to believe that it goes on in other places.

A guy will DM a kid that he should be lynched, but you think that same guy wouldn't discriminate while hiring?

A women will scream the n-word at a running back who isn't playing well, you think she wants to rent her apartment to him?

We know these things, they're facts. People have prejudice. WHY do we go through such mental gymnastics to think it's not possible that people acting on those prejudices could make another person's life harder? And what's difficult about saying, "That's not right for people to do. I should tell them to knock that off if I see it happening."

And what's difficult about saying, "That's not right for people to do. I should tell them to knock that off if I see it happening."

I often wonder why we don't see more people saying that to those looting stores and burning down towns, many times over an accusation that proves to be false. Of course nobody should call anyone the N word anymore, it's beyond reprehensible somebody would talk that that to another human being, but when certain people talk like that to each other and get rich rapping about it, I gotta be honest, it's tough to care about it as much as you want me to.

You keep changing the subject. It's pretty simple, I'll ask it another way. Is it ok to hurl racial slurs at people or is it not?
Yeah it was pretty much that sim
I often wonder why we don't see more people saying that to those looting stores and burning down towns, many times over an accusation that proves to be false.

Often times you do. It comes from the family that likely just left visiting their dead loved one in the morgue asking for peace if you choose to protest. Also, the misdirection is hysterical, what is the relevancy?

Wow I come back to check my thread and boom it blew up.

My conclusion, MRI is right, there are lots of people from both sides of the issue that need to wake up and work together to make the whole society better.

No but we are part native American that good enough for you bro

Let me guess: one sixteenth Cherokee and 100% cliché.
I didn't ask for your ethnic background because I was questioning your credentials. I did it to draw a disparity between 1968 and today, which you believe to be "much, much worse." In 1968, if your sister married a black guy, how do you think that'd go? They made a movie, about that time, on that premise. It won an academy award. It really doesn't translate well to today. There has been progress.

I often wonder why we don't see more people saying that to those looting stores and burning down towns, many times over an accusation that proves to be false. Of course nobody should call anyone the N word anymore, it's beyond reprehensible somebody would talk that that to another human being, but when certain people talk like that to each other and get rich rapping about it, I gotta be honest, it's tough to care about it as much as you want me to.
Two wrongs don't make a right. It's dumb to loot and riot. But again, do we as white guys get asked to get control over white people who riot and burn stuff?

Nobody is going to come to you like, "Listen buddy, I'm not really trying to hear about your problems until you do something about these white people burning couches over Tennessee beating Florida."

Let me guess: one sixteenth Cherokee and 100% cliché.
I didn't ask for your ethnic background because I was questioning your credentials. I did it to draw a disparity between 1968 and today, which you believe to be "much, much worse." In 1968, if your sister married a black guy, how do you think that'd go? They made a movie, about that time, on that premise. It won an academy award. It really doesn't translate well to today. There has been progress.
My daughter is part native, so once you guys get that all sorted let me know so I can figure out how I work all that into my thoughts on whether or not it's ok to use racial slurs.

I guess what bothers me about the protest is that it is a protest against "police brutality", and in reality, police brutality is way way down the list of problems in America. Police are now more sensitized and psychologized and scrutinized than at any time in history. And while there is occasional needless brutality, the number of such incidents as a percentage of all police contacts with the public in general, or even blacks in particular, is low. And much of the protesting is against a straw man, stuffed by "activists." What did the police even do wrong in Ferguson, or Baltimore, or Charlotte? Nothing proved in any courts, but the neighborhoods burned anyway. These athletes would be just as useful kneeling to protest "mob rule and looting" in various cities in the last year, but they aren't. The team has been all unified this year, I'm hearing, but now Rose-Ivey and company want to inject something non-football into the scene every week, to protest a non-issue. Why don't they do something in their free time to help with the issue if they think it is important?

Wow! It's your type of thinking that I consider lazy and passing the buck. You live in this country too. Are you doing the things that you suggest these players should do? It don't matter that you believe that police brutality is down. That's a moot point. Police brutality should be non existent, period.

I've had a gun pointed at me, by police, because two other friends and I fit the description, skin color wise, of some folks that were going around printing fake checks. That's a non violent, white collar crime. I don't have a criminal record but I had a gun pulled on me for that. Matter of fact I almost got shot in the confusion because the officer approached my vehicle in the dark and didn't even turn his blue and reds on. All I saw was a flashlight pointing in my window. At first I thought someone was trying to car jack me. Are you gonna sit here and deny the actions of the officer that shot the guy in Minnesota? What about the officer caught on camera phone trying to plant evidence on the man that he just shot in the back? Police brutality is not the Easter bunny or Santa Clause, because police brutality exist. If all you have to say is why won't someone else do something about the social injustices and inequality then you're wasting characters.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Is that because of LBJ''s "Great Society"?

I don't think you were saying it was, but I thought I read another hinting towards that.

I'm asking because I don't know, but why are there fewer 2 parent households in the African American community now than there was 40 years ago?

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's dumb to loot and riot. But again, do we as white guys get asked to get control over white people who riot and burn stuff?

Nobody is going to come to you like, "Listen buddy, I'm not really trying to hear about your problems until you do something about these white people burning couches over Tennessee beating Florida."

That's funny that the images used by corporations that make money off of rap music is the basis of someone's argument. Caucasians purchase that music and images at great rates. Then white America's young children imitate the dress of the rappers and then white America has the nerve to say look at the violence in your community, look at your music. If you participate in the recycling of the violence, drug use, and twerkin' you have no right to use that argument. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Wow! It's your type of thinking that I consider lazy and passing the buck. You live in this country too. Are you doing the things that you suggest these players should do? It don't matter that you believe that police brutality is down. That's a moot point. Police brutality should be non existent, period.

I've had a gun pointed at me, by police, because two other friends and I fit the description, skin color wise, of some folks that were going around printing fake checks. That's a non violent, white collar crime. I don't have a criminal record but I had a gun pulled on me for that. Matter of fact I almost got shot in the confusion because the officer approached my vehicle in the dark and didn't even turn his blue and reds on. All I saw was a flashlight pointing in my window. At first I thought someone was trying to car jack me. Are you gonna sit here and deny the actions of the officer that shot the guy in Minnesota? What about the officer caught on camera phone trying to plant evidence on the man that he just shot in the back? Police brutality is not the Easter bunny or Santa Clause, because police brutality exist. If all you have to say is why won't someone else do something about the social injustices and inequality then you're wasting characters.

Police brutality will always exist. Humans are not perfect and you expect them to do a perfect job in an imperfect world.

Unarmed Whites get shot by cops. Unarmed Blacks do too. Just like unarmed Latinos. Why? It's a split second decision and sometimes they're wrong.

I've dealt with poorly trained cops and good cops. The poorly trained cops I simply complied until they asked to search my vehicle where I politely replied they would need a warrant.

Did you say something to those fans? Not picking a fight with you, just curious.
Did I specifically get onto MRI's Twitter to see if I could find an instance of somebody tweeting at him with a visible comment like that and reply to it? I did not. I suppose I could. I don't see what's on his Facebook because I'm not FB friends with him.

I did, for the first time ever, message a player over it. I messaged MRI to voice my support to him because he specifically said that he had seen and appreciated the supportive messages he has received since Saturday. I went to UNL, I have had classes with players, etc. but generally I try to leave them alone and understand that they don't need to have a conversation with me about how I feel about football.

I do go at people one-on-one and put my face to it when I think they're being racist or they are trash talking groups of people. I don't tend to go quietly over that stuff. I may not be able to change people's minds, but I can let them know what to expect if they're gonna spout that narrative in my presence. I can refuse to allow it to be an echo chamber.

There are a lot of people who don't interact with me and vice versa based on that, because if they run some ignorance in my presence I go into GATA mode and I tend not to lay off them.

Why the police do not allow you to go back to your vehicle.

Couple weeks before this deputy was reprimanded for unholstering his weapon too soon. It cost him his life and changed training across the nation.

You guys think you can go out there and catch criminals who may want to kill you and you have to distinguish who may want to do you lethal harm and who doesn't every second you are in contact without ever pulling your gun then go do it.

Things more than likely will get worse with the crap show we have running for office...maybe 2020 will be better but I dont see it....Also dont see the harm in talking about the issues like we are here...its pretty clear there will always be a difference of opinion but I think that difference will also change over time as the older generation that is a little more stuck in their ways dies off...its a changing world out there for sure

Reactions: nebcountry
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT