ADVERTISEMENT

Rose-Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, somebody should start a conversation about that. About how it's not right to treat an entire group of people a certain way because you may not like the way a few representatives of that demographic have acted in the past.
Oh, I get it. What you are talking about is not OK, but tagging our entire fanbase with the actions of a few idiots is OK. Thanks for clarifying.

Oh, I get it. What you are talking about is not OK, but tagging our entire fanbase with the actions of a few idiots is OK. Thanks for clarifying.
Sure, yep. That's what I'm saying is that all Nebraska fans are that way. Pretty sure that's what I said. Quote it for me just so I can be sure.

Sure, yep. That's what I'm saying is that all Nebraska fans are that way. Pretty sure that's what I said. Quote it for me just so I can be sure.
Well, it sure seemed to me that you were disagreeing with me saying that it's wrong to tag an entire fanbase with the actions of a few.

It was selfish of him to put himself in a position for people to say racist things to him and make death threats to him? Or it was selfish of him to say that it happened?
The death threats should be easily traceable to an IP address... Let justice take its course, I received two over 20 years in my career. Law enforcement takes them seriously.. 100% for it...

This from the ESPN story

Mo "Barry said Monday that he's received "way more positive" feedback from Husker fans than negative since the protest."

Doesn't that pretty much make what Ameer said a moot point? Why would he say that he's ashamed of the fan base when most of the feedback from the fan base has been positive?

Reactions: GBRhuskers
Well, it sure seemed to me that you were disagreeing with me saying that it's wrong to tag an entire fanbase with the actions of a few.
Of course it's wrong to do. I operate on pretty simple terms with all that, I don't think anyone should be running around and painting with broad brushes and I expect that to cut in all directions.

It was selfish to put himself above the program and do something he knew would create distraction.
So I will ask the question I've asked two different people and nobody has given an answer. If Coach Riley tells him not to do the protest and that engenders ill will from MRI(and the 2 others) towards Coach Riley, and that causes dissension on the team, how does that help? I wish he didn't feel like he has to do this, and I wish he wouldn't do it this way, but when you have somebody who feels that strongly about it, what else are you supposed to do? I think shutting him down in this situation has the potential for causing a lot more problems.

Reactions: TheBeav815
and there we go ... congrats ... recruiting to Nebraska is getting more difficult by the minute

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-ivey-receives-racial-backlash-anthem-protest

I hear what you are saying; however, in this instance MRI had the support of his coaches (who respresent the university), had the support of his team, and most certainly had support from a cross-section of the fan base. That's about as well as any single college and/or professional player is doing right now with respect to this act of protest. I'm not of the opinion that this is going to have any impact what-so-ever on our ability to recruit.

Agreed, this is what makes people crazy, insinuating racism on a whole fan base that just wants to watch a game and cheer for their team. How are we suppose to control a few nit wits. Just BS

Reactions: tarheelhusker
I think it is becoming painfully obvious that Coach Riley should not have allowed this to happen. Encourage them to find a different venue and be supportive but you are representing the University and the State of Nebraska. It was hard to watch as he has described things that he has endured in his 20 some years as well as what his parents have endured since the game. I hope it doesn't divide the team and certainly don't believe it will quietly go away.
There is a reason you have 0 likes

I am up for people expressing their opinions and protesting for what they believe in. How else are you going to get change.

A guy called into Game Time today and he shares my same thought. It is not so much of a race issue as it is an "Resisting Arrest" issue. I just like everyone else out there with a heart wants there to be less innocent black lives lost, but I also know that Police have to worry about their families too.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this way they are doing it.

I posted this on another message board cause the mods lock threads like this, but here is what I said

"Here is what the people who are kneeling do not understand. It is not going to benefit anything, and what it is doing is making the people that disagree with them even more upset. It is not only disgraceful to our country and our veterans, it is separating us even more. That is what the kneelers do not understand. It is not helping the cause they want to help it is hurting it. Protest all you want, but do it in a less disrespectful fashion!"

Don't stop fighting for what you believe in, but understand that there are better ways to do it!

To the people sending Death Threats and mentioning "Hanging" them... They can all rott in hell! I despise people with that temperament, and they are truly a bigger cancer to this country then anything.

I hear what you are saying; however, in this instance MRI had the support of his coaches (who respresent the university), had the support of his team, and most certainly had support from a cross-section of the fan base. That's about as well as any single college and/or professional player is doing right now with respect to this act of protest. I'm not of the opinion that this is going to have any impact what-so-ever on our ability to recruit.

I guess in the end I see myself as an informed guy... I realize there is racial strife and I actually have been on the other side of discrimination and it's not fun... That said, now my passtime is fastly becoming a just another political debate. Mike can do what he wants, AA can say what he wants... Free County...

How are we suppose to control a few nit wits.

That's the question at the core of the WHOLE THING. More people need to apply that question before they judge an entire demographic of people based on some of them acting stupidly.

MRI makes a statement and here come some people who wanna go, "Oh well until there's no shootings in Chicago then MRI is full of shit." What's a linebacker in Lincoln supposed to do to end gang violence in Chicago? Like...really? People in another state commit crimes so this kid has no right to speak to how people have hurled slurs at him in his life?

We don't do that to white people. You all notice that, right?

Your coworkers don't come to you about the meth head in Florida who cut off his dong and threw it to a gator (that actually happened, btw) and be like, "So...what do you think about what happened in Florida? How do you feel about that as a white guy?"

We don't have to solve all the world's problems. Just understand that it's different for somebody else than it is for you. Not everyone experiences life at the same degree of difficulty.

Last edited:
Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Agreed, this is what makes people crazy, insinuating racism on a whole fan base that just wants to watch a game and cheer for their team. How are we suppose to control a few nit wits. Just BS

You hit it on the head ! How can you win hearts and minds when the opening argument is to call your fellow American and Husker a Racist ? I mean, is it possible to engage ? BTW I'm not sure I need to be engaged, AA or MRI or anyone else doesn't know my heart ..

My gosh, you're disgusting to say that. I'm quite confident every single Vietnam Veteran I know, and it's not a large number but somewhere around 10-12, every single one of them "joined" to fight for freedom. One didn't have a choice, but he gladly served.

Goodness dude, there's a veteran that is crying during the national anthem in the video. And you have the guts to say "any of this crap". You disgust me.
did you serve? doesn't sound like it. you don't know what you are talking about in that regard.

It was selfish to put himself above the program and do something he knew would create a distraction.
I think he put problems of racial injustice above the program, which is where it should be. It's inconceivable to me how this can be construed as a selfish act. The selfish thing to do would be to avoid discussing an issue you know to be present because you (in this case, MRI) are in a uniquely good position as a privileged athlete. As far as distractions go, that's a red herring that has no basis in reality. What isn't a distraction for a college athlete? School, girls, personal issues, etc... College is nothing BUT a distraction and they'll all be just fine. It actually seems like this has brought the team closer together given Riley's open-minded attitude about it.

I think he put problems of racial injustice above the program, which is where it should be. It's inconceivable to me how this can be construed as a selfish act. The selfish thing to do would be to avoid discussing an issue you know to be present because you (in this case, MRI) are in a uniquely good position as a privileged athlete. As far as distractions go, that's a red herring that has no basis in reality. What isn't a distraction for a college athlete? School, girls, personal issues, etc... College is nothing BUT a distraction and they'll all be just fine. It actually seems like this has brought the team closer together given Riley's open-minded attitude about it.

Mike can say and do as he likes... The team might be closer as a result of this, but man, I feel bad about being labeled or inferred to be a racist redneck by AA. That one kinda leaves a mark, he's had all day to take it back and hasn't - I still think he's going to rethink his harsh words for Huskers and apologize.. AA must have been treated very badly in ways we never knew, I feel bad that happened to him here... I guess I never saw my fellow Huskers this way, I refuse to believe it.. bummer..

Reactions: HuskerPam
Just because someone "feels" a certain way doesn't make them correct when faced with facts.

This isn't the millenial generation. It is the emo generation.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
No idea what you're talking about, but I'll guess some fans ae giving him the business. What did he expect? He made a conscience decision to be disruptive, and he got the attention he was seeking. Did he ever say what he was kneeling for anyway?
Yes he did,social injustice.How was it disruptive? I assume you were against the Olympic runners raising their fists also !

did you serve? doesn't sound like it. you don't know what you are talking about in that regard.

I have plenty of friends that served, and died.

Make it easy, name the time & day you'll be at the VFW in Bellevue. I'll share your post with every Veteran inside the VFW. Once you arrive, I'll go ahead and video tape your discussion with them and share it on here for everyone to watch.

Hey Arch -- I wasn't clear -- I am ok with MRIs right to protest and agree he handled in the right way
disappointed in some of the fans responses and some the responses here, whether you or agree or disagree things should remain remain civil.

These protests have occurred at many college football games, yet the negative and in some cases disgusting fan response at Nebraska is getting media attention. The story isn't about the protest, as I said, it is no longer really noteworthy. What is grabbing headlines is the response by some Nebraska "fans" and while in the minority it does not reflect well on the university, state or fan base.

I maintain that this is not the place for these hot button debates to occur

People only talk the protest, never what the problem he is protesting...Oh.,somebody tell Neal he is equal as he has an opportunity to get a better education than most. Tell him not to break the law or comply if he is pulled over and he will be fine.

Some people just don't believe black people are being oppressed as much as some black people claim.

White people are tired of being called racist and having their heritage disparaged over crap they hadn't nothing to do with...in their minds white privilege doesn't mean jack cause they poor as hell.

Last edited:
I realize that this is a hot topic that can create a lot of ill feelings, but since it involves current Huskers, Mike has instructed us to leave it open for replies, for now. As long as it stays fairly civil and doesn't degenerate to nothing but insults and name calling, it will be left open for a couple days. All new threads created on this subject will be merged with this one.

Thanks.

I have plenty of friends that served, and died.

Make it easy, name the time & day you'll be at the VFW in Bellevue. I'll share your post with every Veteran inside the VFW. Once you arrive, I'll go ahead and video tape your discussion with them and share it on here for everyone to watch.

Come on

I realize that this is a hot topic that can create a lot of ill feelings, but since it involves current Huskers, Mike has instructed us to leave it open for replies, for now. As long as it stays fairly civil and doesn't degenerate to nothing but insults and name calling, it will be left open for a couple days. All new threads created on this subject will be merged with this one.

Thanks.
I don't agree with kneeling during the anthem, BUT I would hope to hell that IF any of us were to witness some of the crap that MRI detailed in his speech that we would step up and put a stop to it. I just wish there were a better way for them to voice their concerns without the anthem protest. IMO, that's a divisive act and I think that's proved by the responses I've seen just from professional athletes and a few sports personalities. What they have to realize is that this is a worldwide problem just not a U.S. problem and it will be with us until the end of time. There will ALWAYS be knuckleheads no matter what the color of their skin is.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Ok seriously folks, we are all on here arguing about a small percentage of the people, like they are the majority.

How many people as a percentage are bigots on each racial Group? How many are out and out racists? How many are just grifters that will use race to their advantage when they can?

By comparison, how many in each group are caring and loving to people of all groups because it is their nature and the right thing to do?

If you think all of the first group is even close to the second group, you're either a fool or you live and die by the media and it's mis-education of our nation.

Do these men have the choice to do this, yes. Do I agree with it, no. Think it would be better and be more productive to get into the neighborhoods and work with people to educate and build the trust. Are these men evil for doing it, no. If they are just doing this to get attention and not move the discussion towards solutions then they are still not evil, just totally misguided. You protest to find solutions, you rebel to be a pain in the arse and it feels good at the time. If they are working to get solutions, it would be 1000% better for all of us to get the focus on those ideas and actions.

Not many of us have the fame, fortune, notoriety to speak or act and move many to look at us. But those that do, also carry with them the responsibility to use it for good results. Let's hear some solutions so we can focus on that.

"A spotlight without direction will blind people looking for the way to their destination." -unknown.

We need more leaders willing to step up and talk solutions.

Ok seriously folks, we are all on here arguing about a small percentage of the people, like they are the majority.

How many people as a percentage are bigots on each racial Group? How many are out and out racists? How many are just grifters that will use race to their advantage when they can?

By comparison, how many in each group are caring and loving to people of all groups because it is their nature and the right thing to do?

If you think all of the first group is even close to the second group, you're either a fool or you live and die by the media and it's mis-education of our nation.

Do these men have the choice to do this, yes. Do I agree with it, no. Think it would be better and be more productive to get into the neighborhoods and work with people to educate and build the trust. Are these men evil for doing it, no. If they are just doing this to get attention and not move the discussion towards solutions then they are still not evil, just totally misguided. You protest to find solutions, you rebel to be a pain in the arse and it feels good at the time. If they are working to get solutions, it would be 1000% better for all of us to get the focus on those ideas and actions.

Not many of us have the fame, fortune, notoriety to speak or act and move many to look at us. But those that do, also carry with them the responsibility to use it for good results. Let's hear some solutions so we can focus on that.

"A spotlight without direction will blind people looking for the way to their destination." -unknown.

I would say that I had no idea that he had experienced some of the crap he has so I guess he accomplished some education. That said, man stupid people say stupid stuff and it's usually the drunk college kid that screams some of the dumbest stuff. Unfortunately skin color is an easy target. The <1% of people that are idiots cause >99% of the problems in the world.

Reactions: baseball31ne

ok lets move this whole thing to the end game.. social justice, what all these young men hoping for, and all seem to say they pledge when it is achieved. 1. what is it, 2. how does it get administered 3. who administers ? discuss.. some politicians have brought up reparations, how would that work and whats a fair settlement ? if not reparations then what is a good way to achieve racial harmony? inner cities have been dominated by a single political party do they lead on this issue?

Is he free to speak his mind-- yes. However, MRI and all athletes doing this need to understand when they are using football (or whatever forum) they are doing so at their own risk. If they would do this somewhere as a normal public citizen that is totally different.

My beef with all of them is that they are doing this to "call attention" to the problems. In other words, I want someone else to fix it. They need to be the ones to work on solving the problems themselves. If that's donating money, time, etc. that's fine. You just can't expect to complain if you're not doing something yourself. That's hypocritical.

Also, MRI said he's heard the N word countless times behind the bench. I've attended 380+ games in person and don't recall hearing that word any game regardless of where I've sat. Don't we have security behind our bench and people aren't allowed there during games? I guess I'd be interested to see if others have heard that as well.

I completely disagree with your 2nd paragraph. These people are doing something, using the tools they have. They have a louder voice than a regular person because of football and bring attention to the problems they see.

I think it takes courage to do what MRI did. He had the idea, talked to the coaches, talked to the team, then made his peaceful protest. Bringing more attention to problems is useful. Not everyone has the means to donate money. He is also playing college football and going to college. I think a lot of his time is being used up, and he does donate time to community projects.

He is not being hypocritical. He shouldn't have to give up all his money, give up on his dreams of getting a college degree or try to make it to the NFL, or completely change his life so unarmed citizens don't get shot in our streets.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
I completely disagree with your 2nd paragraph. These people are doing something, using the tools they have. They have a louder voice than a regular person because of football and bring attention to the problems they see.

I think it takes courage to do what MRI did. He had the idea, talked to the coaches, talked to the team, then made his peaceful protest. Bringing more attention to problems is useful. Not everyone has the means to donate money. He is also playing college football and going to college. I think a lot of his time is being used up, and he does donate time to community projects.

He is not being hypocritical. He shouldn't have to give up all his money, give up on his dreams of getting a college degree or try to make it to the NFL, or completely change his life so unarmed citizens don't get shot in our streets.
recent harvard study says you are incorrect. found both whites and blacks being killed with no bias.. study did find disproportionate arrests for blacks. killings no..

I know you aren't. You shouldn't be. No one here thinks you are going to print out a post, bring it to a VFW and try to incite a beating of another person while you film it.

There's something called smart phones, no need to print something out. Incite a beating? You're desperate with that ridiculous statement, yikes that's bad.

You spoke for all military members, you should be able to support your statement with veterans. Vietnam veterans in particular. VFW in Bellevue has plenty of them. My best friends son served the Gulf War (Desert Storm), I'd like you to tell him what you said earlier in this thread. I'm quite confident he'd also educate you as to why he joined the military.

Or, you're full of hot air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT