ADVERTISEMENT

Rose-Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
A white elderly person was lit on fire, by a group of black males, should our "white players" protest about this? She's now dead. A white guy was just shot & killed last week in Louisville, Nebraska, by a white police officer, should white people protest that?

Why aren't we talking more about the black protester that shot another black protester? Instead, all I hear & read about is "a cop shot an unarmed black male" although there was a gun found with the deceased fingerprints & DNA.

Or, should black people also protest the injustice of the two people mentioned above?

we shouldn't be talking about this at all on a football message board, with all due respect the mods should be shutting all of this down

all these threads do is give traction to the stereotypes of the state and university ... these stereotypes may not be reality but recruiting is often more about perception than reality

it will be great for Husker football when ESPN or other media outlets pickup stories about our athletes getting threats from the fanbase for these protests

Reactions: TheBeav815
I totally agree... Victimhood is a powerful vote getter... Far as I can tell everyone is now a victim... I'd point anyone to Harvard Study on Police shootings... Stats don't lie... The whole thing is a fabrication... Look up the study... Not the media's interpretation of the study.. the actual study,,,
You all have clearly not paid attention to the press conference that MRI just held. He made clear that he's not focusing on police.

Reactions: Husker4114
A white elderly person was lit on fire, by a group of black males, should our "white players" protest about this? She's now dead. A white guy was just shot & killed last week in Louisville, Nebraska, by a white police officer, should our "white players" protest that?

Why aren't we talking more about the black protester that shot another black protester? Instead, all I hear & read about is "a cop shot an unarmed black male" although there was a gun found with the deceased fingerprints & DNA on it.

Or, should black people also protest the injustice of the two people mentioned above?
I think the point of the protests is against a societal and institutional racism.

we shouldn't be talking about this at all on a football message board, with all due respect the mods should be shutting all of this down

all these threads do is give traction to the stereotypes of the state and university ... these stereotypes may not be reality but recruiting is often more about perception than reality

it will be great for Husker football when ESPN or other media outlets pickup stories about our athletes getting threats from the fanbase for these protests
You sure it's not a really good look for the school and the fans for us to give audience for people to say that racism is made up and if you try to combat it that's just a victim mentality? Maybe you just haven't had an opportunity to hear about some of the times that a person who wasn't white did something bad.

No idea what you're talking about, but I'll guess some fans ae giving him the business. What did he expect? He made a conscience decision to be disruptive, and he got the attention he was seeking. Did he ever say what he was kneeling for anyway?

I am a police officer and I take no issue with him or other players across the country not standing for the anthem. We as police officers have a split second to respond, I am confident that many of these circumstances aren't racially motivated. We perceive a threat we can only give orders so many times before we begin to think this subject is combative. Any sudden movements on top of that spell trouble. Listen to the officer and we will get through anything together. White men are killed by police too, as well as white men killing police.Based on the media, If I wasn't in this profession and I was a young Black American I would think and do the same as him. Fact is, its typically not what its perceived,the media and headlines fuel this. Stats don't lie, I encourage all of you to look them up. Black on black crime is the highest criminal run in there is, however If I was an African American I would think based on the media that police and the country are racially driven.This is America we can think what we want and act freely, don't blame them for this because if you were in their shoes you'd think the same thing. If I am a police officer and am not upset then I think military personnel can stop taking it personally. This is America, why get upset about a protest. I know it's not true, don't tune into the radio that spews this, don't buy papers that spew this and don't click on sites that spew this. Love your country, but stop taking up an issue when everyone is entitled to their opinion.

and there we go ... congrats ... recruiting to Nebraska is getting more difficult by the minute

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-ivey-receives-racial-backlash-anthem-protest

What we should or shouldn't talk about on a message board isn't the point. The point is, it is being talked about and the mods are allowing it. If one doesn't want to talk about it on a message board, they should refrain from talking about it. There's all kinds of topics on here; sports and non-sports related, and I choose which ones I want to talk about.

I do agree with what you're saying though except, that wasn't the point of my initial response. Talking about it was meant as a society, not just here.

Oh man, you're so right. But don't stop there, are you sure it's enough that I just "look the other way"? Maybe you should suggest that I actually like it. That's the assumption, right? I like it when some people die but not other people?

I won't suggest it; your responses, or lack thereof, speaks for itself. I look forward to seeing "TheBeav815" protesting all the black on black crime in Chicago. Make sure to link us the YouTube video.

Not saying I agree or disagree with MRI but it looks Husker fans are taking the backlash of his comments and actions. Hope this doesn't divide the team.
Completely irresponsible of AA in his post. Directed at "Husker Nation?" Really? As if this is how "Husker Nation" thinks? A handful of idiots make these comments and it is "Husker Nation?" What a dolt.

You all have clearly not paid attention to the press conference that MRI just held. He made clear that he's not focusing on police.

.. was a larger point i was making about false info on the subject.. You are correct... My point was that this whole thing nationally is built on a foundation of bad info.. Now the Harvard Study did find bias in arrests... That is ligit, and accept that part of the Study. Question is how to lift poverty ?

Also, MRI said he's heard the N word countless times behind the bench. I've attended 380+ games in person and don't recall hearing that word any game regardless of where I've sat. Don't we have security behind our bench and people aren't allowed there during games? I guess I'd be interested to see if others have heard that as well.

I am fairly certain MRI said it was while on road games, not here at home.

So you admit you do not know what MRI does on his own time about this topic? Is he obligated/required to tell you so that you will feel better about what he's doing?

You are the one who singled me out as my opinion and talk on a message board being important. You tell me?

Maybe you should see this too from his dad.
OK - A few red necks make idiotic comments and now I Husker Nation is/are to blame ? Seems unjust to me .... Stereotyping ? Generalizing ? Guess this is why Mike Rose took a knee, but yet here we are... I Coached inner city kids in football, you should have heard what some african americans yelled at me, vile and racist.. I didnt condemn everyone for pete sake...

I am crying....... Very powerful, and those young men are very lucky to have a coach who prepares them for before the game, during the game, and after the game both on and off the court in such a sincere manner.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
is a bunch of crap..

I served, and I'll tell you something.. none of us eighteen year olds who joined thought anything about freedom or any of this crap.

Most guys just need the money and don't know what to do with themselves at that age. Maybe it is something that you do in your family. Maybe you do it for college money. Maybe a buddy talks you into it.

The last reason anyone joins is to go become some hero.

This is just a bunch of drama being used by people who never served in the first place to make some political point.

Quit using my service as some excuse to further your political agenda.

Maybe dad can tweet this to AA, might remind him of the endless support I can only imagine he received while he attended NU. I would like to know all of the terrible things AA heard as a Muslim African American.
Bottom-line is AA is ashamed of us... OK, I will say he made that comment out of frustration. I'll turn the other cheek and say he's a good guy and was glad he came to NU...

Reactions: timnsun
What we should or shouldn't talk about on a message board isn't the point. The point is, it is being talked about and the mods are allowing it. If one doesn't want to talk about it on a message board, they should refrain from talking about it. There's all kinds of topics on here; sports and non-sports related, and I choose which ones I want to talk about.

I do agree with what you're saying though except, that wasn't the point of my initial response. Talking about it was meant as a society, not just here.

I won't suggest it; your responses, or lack thereof, speaks for itself. I look forward to seeing "TheBeav815" protesting all the black on black crime in Chicago. Make sure to link us the YouTube video.
There, you've completed the playbook. You went from, "Oh yeah well here's a bad thing that happened to a white person" to "I bet you secretly like it when bad stuff happens" to "black on black crime" in two posts.

And I'm guilty as charged. Because I am not running around trying to make sure that bad things don't happen to people in such a way as to prevent all crime so that you don't have a single example of a crime to bring up, I not only have failed but I am basically an accomplice. Boy, you really nailed it.

Last edited:
is a bunch of crap..

I served, and I'll tell you something.. none of us eighteen year olds who joined thought anything about freedom or any of this crap.

Most guys just need the money and don't know what to do with themselves at that age. Maybe it is something that you do in your family. Maybe you do it for college money. Maybe a buddy talks you into it.

The last reason anyone joins is to go become some hero.

This is just a bunch of drama being used by people who never served in the first place to make some political point.

Quit using my service as some excuse to further your political agenda.
This should be a pinned post.

There, you've completed the playbook. You went from, "Oh yeah well here's a bad thing that happened to a white person" to "I bet you secretly like it when bad stuff happens" to "black on black crime" in two posts.

Oh boy, that's a gigantic swing and a miss.

B
I think it is becoming painfully obvious that Coach Riley should not have allowed this to happen. Encourage them to find a different venue and be supportive but you are representing the University and the State of Nebraska. It was hard to watch as he has described things that he has endured in his 20 some years as well as what his parents have endured since the game. I hope it doesn't divide the team and certainly don't believe it will quietly go away.
Bingo. Part of being a coach is being protective of the player. It is quite possible to be empathetic toward MRI and his feelings on the shootings, encourage civic engagement and action, yet absolutely discourage, and even disallow, for his own sake, a manner of protesting that will make him a target for people who overreact.

My gosh, you're disgusting to say that. I'm quite confident every single Vietnam Veteran I know, and it's not a large number but somewhere around 10-12, every single one of them "joined" to fight for freedom. One didn't have a choice, but he gladly served.

Goodness dude, there's a veteran that is crying during the national anthem in the video. And you have the guts to say "any of this crap". You disgust me.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
B

Bingo. Part of being a coach is being protective of the player. It is quite possible to be empathetic toward MRI and his feelings on the shootings, encourage civic engagement and action, yet absolutely discourage, and even disallow, for his own sake, a manner of protesting that will make him a target for people who overreact.
And I ask again, if MRI feels he isn't being given a way to express his feelings and that engenders hard feelings from him towards Coach Riley(and maybe some players who agree with him), how does that help the program? Shutting his way to protest down is how you divide the team.

B

Damage done. I'm sure AA's condemnation of Husker Nation will go national, as well as MRIs presser... Here we go, good ole fashion beat down by ESPN...

Damage done. I'm sure AA's condemnation of Husker Nation will go national, as well as MRIs presser... Here we go, good ole fashion beat down by ESPN...
Oh, stop it. People like YOU are the ones encouraging it. If you don't have anything to complain about on the field right now, let's help perpetuate a faux controversy off the field, why don't we?

Oh, stop it. People like YOU are the ones encouraging it. If you don't have anything to complain about on the field right now, let's help perpetuate a faux controversy off the field, why don't we?
Great take, it's not the people who n-bomb a player and tell him they want him to hang who did something wrong here. It's the media and the people who were upset by those people lobbing n-bombs and making death threats. WE'RE the ones who made it a problem.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86

really... ESPN is picking up our little chat on this board.. pound sand loser...

Great take, it's not the people who n-bomb a player and tell him they want him to hang who did something wrong here. It's the media and the people who were upset by those people lobbing n-bombs and making death threats. WE'RE the ones who made it a problem.
Or maybe it's people who tag an entire fanbase with the actions of a few.

Or maybe it's people who tag an entire fanbase with the actions of a few.
Man, somebody should start a conversation about that. About how it's not right to treat an entire group of people a certain way because you may not like the way a few representatives of that demographic have acted in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT