ADVERTISEMENT

Rose-Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really well thought out response here by Coach Pop

“I think it’s really dangerous to answer such important questions that have confounded so many people for hundreds of years, to ask me to give you my solutions, as if I had any, in 30 seconds. So if you want to be specific about a question, I’ll be more than happy to answer it because I think race is the elephant in the room in our country. The social situation that we’ve all experienced is absolutely disgusting in a lot of ways. What’s really interesting is the people that jump right away to say, one is attacking the police, or the people that jump on the other side. It’s a question where understanding and empathy has to trump, no pun intended, has to trump any quick reactions of an ideological or demagogical nature. It’s a topic that can’t just be swung at, people have to be very accurate and direct in what they say and do."

“I absolutely understand why they’re doing what they’re doing, and I respect their courage for what they’ve done. The question is whether it will do any good or not because it seems that change really seems to happen through political pressure, no matter how you look at it. Whether it’s Dr. (Martin Luther) King getting large groups together and boycotting buses, or what’s happened in Carolina with the NBA and other organizations pulling events to make it known what’s going on. But I think the important thing that Kaepernick and others have done is to keep it in the conversation. When’s the last time you heard the name Michael Brown? With our 24/7 news, things seem to drift. We’re all trying to just exist and survive.

“It’s easier for white people because we haven’t lived that experience. It’s difficult for many white people to understand the day-to-day feeling that many black people have to deal with. It’s not just a rogue policeman, or a policeman exerting too much force or power, when we know that most of the police are just trying to do their job, which is very difficult. I’d be scared to death if I was a policeman and I stopped a car. You just don’t know what’s going to happen. And part of that in our country is exacerbated by the preponderance of guns that other countries don’t have to deal with. It gets very complicated.

“At this point, when somebody like Kaepernick brings attention to this, and others who have, it makes people have to face the issue because it’s too easy to let it go because it’s not their daily experience. If it’s not your daily experience, you don’t understand it. I didn’t talk to my kids about how to act in front of a policeman when you get stopped. I didn’t have to do that. All of my black friends have done that. There’s something that’s wrong about that, and we all know that. What’s the solution? Nobody has figured it out. But for sure, the conversation has to stay fresh, it has to stay continuous, it has to be persistent, and we all have a responsibility to make sure that happens in our communities.”
Black people are not segregated against like when Malcom X and Dr. Martin Luther were taking a stand. What happened back then and what is happening now are two different things... COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things!

I can name multiple things that have happened since that Speech from Martin Luther King, but I am going to only name two.

***If we didn't think Black LIves Matter***

1. Our President is a black person, someone explain to me how that happens if Blacks are treated unfaily by our Government?

2. Oprah Winphrey is worth 3.9 Billion Dollars. The opportunity is there, you just have to make an effort.

It makes me sick when people compare what is happening to Martin Luther King and what he fought for

Reactions: RedSea
Black people are not segregated against like when Malcom X and Dr. Martin Luther were taking a stand. What happened back then and what is happening now are two different things... COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things!

I can name multiple things that have happened since that Speech from Martin Luther King, but I am going to only name two.

***If we didn't think Black LIves Matter***

1. Our President is a black person, someone explain to me how that happens if Blacks are treated unfaily by our Government?

2. Oprah Winphrey is worth 3.9 Billion Dollars. The opportunity is there, you just have to make an effort.

It makes me sick when people compare what is happening to Martin Luther King and what he fought for

So, this is what you're going with to prove that black people are no longer treated any differently than white people in our country? If you google "institutional racism in the USA" you may find an article or two, with studies attached, that talk about how what white people started a long time ago has lead to where we are today, and that they are most definitely NOT two different things. Be warned, you must pull your head out of the sand to think critically about what you read. If you decide to not go learn, its your choice, but know that there is plenty of information out there that will allow you to educate yourself and no longer allow you to stake claim to the things you posted above.

I'll help you get started: Race baiting 101

So, this is what you're going with to prove that black people are no longer treated any differently than white people in our country? If you google "institutional racism in the USA" you may find an article or two, with studies attached, that talk about how what white people started a long time ago has lead to where we are today, and that they are most definitely NOT two different things. Be warned, you must pull your head out of the sand to think critically about what you read. If you decide to not go learn, its your choice, but know that there is plenty of information out there that will allow you to educate yourself and no longer allow you to stake claim to the things you posted above.

I'll help you get started: Race baiting 101
I have done plenty of research... I respectfully decline your invitation. It is different today, and there are way to many thing to prove my point. My boss is an African American women, and she worked her way to get there. She would not of had that opportunity back with MLK and Malcolm X.

Is everyone given the opportunity to succeed... No... Are there people that overcome obstacles to succeed, yes. The problem with society as a whole is people always look for someone to blame for their misfortunes.

I grew up in a poor home where I was loved unconditionally. I thank God every day for what my parents gave me with their hearts, that they could not provide with their pocket books. I could of been an after thought or a burden, because I kept my parents in the poor house. Instead I was their top priority and they did everything in their power to teach me the right things to do in life.

That is the thing... People need to parent their children teach them right from wrong. Love them unconditionally, and provide them the knowledge to succeed.

Quit blaming the government... quit blaming the police... quit blaming the racist down the street. All you can do is look inside yourself to better your situation. Blame Blame Blame... it's always someone's fault.

Last edited:
I have done plenty of research... I respectfully decline your invitation. It is different today, and there are way to many thing to prove my point. My boss is an African American women, and she worked her way to get there. She would not of had that opportunity back with MLK and Malcolm X.

Is everyone given the opportunity to succeed... No... Are there people that overcome obstacles to succeed, yes. The problem with society as a whole is people always look for someone to blame for their misfortunes.

I grew up in a poor home where I was loved unconditionally. I thank God every day for what my parents gave me with their hearts, that they could not provide with their pocket books. I could of been an after thought or a burden, because I kept my parents in the poor house. Instead I was their top priority and they did everything in their power to teach me the right things to do in life.

That is the thing... People need to parent their children teach them right from wrong. Love them unconditionally, and provide them the knowledge to succeed.

Quit blaming the government... quit blaming the police... quit blaming the racist down the street. All you can do is look inside yourself to better your situation. Blame Blame Blame... it's always someone's fault.

Because racism is more subtle today does not make it any less powerful. When racism is institutionalized, then blaming those institutions that allowed it (government, police) is where the blame should fall.

People don't always look for someone to blame. There are plenty of struggling folks who aren't blaming anyone, and all they want is to be treated the same as everyone else. We're all human, and pretty much all of us have the dignity and self-respect to want to achieve for ourselves, even though folks love to focus on the few who truly are just looking for handouts.

BUT the institutions that held black people down for hundreds of years don't suddenly go away and leave everyone being treated the same. Click the youtube link above, it talks about how you can't just oppress people for a while and then rescind the majority of the oppression their people have endured and expect them to be happy about being less oppressed than they were before. They're still oppressed because even if within their community they aren't no longer directly oppressed, the fact remains that they are still enduring the fruits of the oppression that was laid on them for a very long time. The systems that were in place long ago to directly oppress blacks may be gone, but the results of that oppression are alive and well. White people love to expect everything to be okay since slavery is over, like, "hey, I don't own any slaves, my grandfather didn't own any. You weren't a slave yourself, so stop crying! Don't blame me!" Sort of like how we love to expect Native Americans to get control of their lives and their people and make something of themselves even though we are the ones that destroyed their nation of people, broke countless treaties with them, and never upheld our end of the deal. We, as a nation, don't get to be the destroyer and then tell people who were destroyed to quit blaming everyone else for their problems. We as a nation caused the problems, to an extent, they should be crying out when American refuses to acknowledge it.

Your anecdote is just that, an anecdote, and everyone has one, and they can be used to support whatever story you want to tell. Facts about institutional racism are everywhere, and neither you or anyone else can say they don't exist. You can hide from them, but it doesn't cause them to cease to exist.

The point Pop makes about him not having to have the conversation with his sons about how to act when a police officer pulls them over while his black friends do have to have that conversation with their sons - and that there is something wrong with it - is all that needs to be said. Rejecting the issue, and the underlying issues, does not make it less of a fact of life that black people have to face profiling and potential unjustified threats to their lives by police officers because of the color of their skin.

+1

Because racism is more subtle today does not make it any less powerful. When racism is institutionalized, then blaming those institutions that allowed it (government, police) is where the blame should fall.

People don't always look for someone to blame. There are plenty of struggling folks who aren't blaming anyone, and all they want is to be treated the same as everyone else. We're all human, and pretty much all of us have the dignity and self-respect to want to achieve for ourselves, even though folks love to focus on the few who truly are just looking for handouts.

BUT the institutions that held black people down for hundreds of years don't suddenly go away and leave everyone being treated the same. Click the youtube link above, it talks about how you can't just oppress people for a while and then rescind the majority of the oppression their people have endured and expect them to be happy about being less oppressed than they were before. They're still oppressed because even if within their community they aren't no longer directly oppressed, the fact remains that they are still enduring the fruits of the oppression that was laid on them for a very long time. The systems that were in place long ago to directly oppress blacks may be gone, but the results of that oppression are alive and well. White people love to expect everything to be okay since slavery is over, like, "hey, I don't own any slaves, my grandfather didn't own any. You weren't a slave yourself, so stop crying! Don't blame me!" Sort of like how we love to expect Native Americans to get control of their lives and their people and make something of themselves even though we are the ones that destroyed their nation of people, broke countless treaties with them, and never upheld our end of the deal. We, as a nation, don't get to be the destroyer and then tell people who were destroyed to quit blaming everyone else for their problems. We as a nation caused the problems, to an extent, they should be crying out when American refuses to acknowledge it.

Your anecdote is just that, an anecdote, and everyone has one, and they can be used to support whatever story you want to tell. Facts about institutional racism are everywhere, and neither you or anyone else can say they don't exist. You can hide from them, but it doesn't cause them to cease to exist.

The point Pop makes about him not having to have the conversation with his sons about how to act when a police officer pulls them over while his black friends do have to have that conversation with their sons - and that there is something wrong with it - is all that needs to be said. Rejecting the issue, and the underlying issues, does not make it less of a fact of life that black people have to face profiling and potential unjustified threats to their lives by police officers because of the color of their skin.
That's the problem. Blacks keep trying to blame something outside of themselves for their own failures. At some point, the blame has to lie within themselves and they need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Institutional racism is not a problem. Racial profiling isn't a problem. In some instances, there are some localized issues, but these things don't exist at the national level.

Blacks have every opportunity to succeed as everyone else. The fact that some blacks haven't taken advantage of these opportunities and have resulted in poorer outcomes doesn't mean there is an institutional problem, just because the results are different. Black people need to take personal responsibility for themselves, and not blame things on institutional racism. Black people need to raise their expectations of themselves if they want to have the same outcomes as white people.

There are 3 major issues that are causing nearly all the problems of black America, and none of them have to do with racism. The first is economic, and many of the issues black people face are due to poverty, and not racism. Of course, coming after the period of slavery and the real period of institutional racism before the Civil Rights Act, blacks are going to have some economic issues including poor education and lack of work-related skills. 50 years after the passing of the Civil Rights act, the economic situation hasn't improved much and this is due to the other 2 issues.

The 2nd issue is the dissolution of the black family unit since the 1960's. 70% of blacks are born to single mothers. They are more likely to be poor, the children are much more likely to do poorly in school, and have low expectations of themselves and thus blame the outside world for their problems. Probably one of the biggest causes of this issue is that the welfare system heavily favors single mothers over the nuclear family. I think the welfare system in general is a good idea, but it is implemented poorly and causes many of the issues black people face today.

The third issue is low expectations. Growing up in a single household family, seeing high crime rates, the societal expectation to "act black" and not put forth the effort to succeed, and the national perception to blame racism for all problems produces low expectations for individual blacks. These 3 problems are related to each other and feed on each other and produce a cycle where blacks are not able to procure a better life for themselves.

These are the problems that need to be looked at, that need to be fixed. Not racism. Not an individual cop shooting an individual black person somewhere, because that's impossible to completely eliminate due to the nature of the job. These are all just distractions. The real problems for blacks are economic, the decline of the black family, and low expectations, and these problems are actually relatively easy to fix if that was where the effort was focused.

This may have been mentioned, but the folks challenging the Husker kneelers do "do something" and that their silly kneeling will never have an impact:

1) He is planning to talk to the police department in Omaha once the season is over.
2) As everyone is likely aware, he's meeting with the Governor of Nebraska. if you don't think that his hope is to have a productive conversation that leads to positive change for the state and ALL of its people, then I can't help you.
3) the fact that he is bringing awareness to what is actually going on in our country may not have gotten through to the hearts of people who aren't willing to contemplate that there are things going on they are either unaware of or reject even exists, even in the face of the facts, that you're not the target. The target audience is the greater majority of people who understand why this is happening, are willing to look introspectively as well as outwardly in their own communities, and be willing to consider the conversation with friends, family, others.

The race relation issues and institutionalized racism in this country will only change when people's hearts change. Policy and legislation isn't going to fix this at the root level, in fact without a heart change, it will only drive greater divide in the generation's of folks who grip their beliefs so firmly that they're unwilling to consider any other way. And people's hearts are only going to change once they are confronted with truth and are willing to talk about the issues. So while none of what has happened or been said may change your mind or heart, it doesn't mean that this movement isn't positively impacting other people, families, and communities who are asking, "what can I do to help?" instead of saying "it won't make a difference," "there is no problem," or they make themselves so emotionally unable to cope with someone doing something they disagree with that they feel the need to attack the person and his/her cause. Attacking someone else's choices says more about the attackers emotional inability and insecurity to cope with disagreement.
when are these kneelers going to take the big knee, and not play? You know, really show how much they care. I'm all for this, all across the country, don't play....if it means that much to you. cancel the damn games, do it....seasons at a time. We've had a black president for 8 years with the biggest stage of them all, we've had black mayors, black attorney generals, black secretary of state, black congressional members, black chief of police, black fire Marshalls, they have ALL failed the black community. And yet they have somehow succeeded and been elected and appointed by, I guess, racist people that hate them. By the way, if I was governor, I would have scheduled a meeting with MRI at 2:30 pm Saturday to get serious about issues that are so important to the young man.

Reasons I disagree with you

Reason 1:
Wife's friend in high school was born into a dysfunctional home, and her parents were divorced at a young age. She lived with her dad who not only molested her, but some of her friends too. She got into heavy drugs after high school heroine and cocain, and got in trouble with the law. Once she was released for what she did, she took it upon herself to do something to change her ways. She is now in her mid 30's and has a masters degree, and also married with 3 kids, and making it. Did she have everything she needed to succeed?

Reason 2:
My neighbor is from Togo Africa. Move to America 15 years ago and got his green card. Met his Wife in Queens New York. He has been going to school ever since I have known him, and is on his way to getting his doctorates in Medical field. He has 4 children 2 whom go to a Catholic grade school, and works off hours to provide for his family. His Wife from Queens has her Doctorates and is working her way to what she wants to be at Emmanuel Hospital in Omaha. Was he giving everything needed to succeed?

Reason 3: My Wife... Her biological dad left when she was born, because he was abusive to her mom. Her mom met her adoptive father when she was 4, They got divorced when she was 8. Her mom didn't want custody of her so she was raise by her single dad who adopted her. She felt unwanted growing up, and was picked on in school because of her clothes and hygiene. She was extremely poor and had no women role model to teach her how to dress. Her dad was in and out of girlfriends all through her adolescence.

When she got to high school her mom took her and her two brother back, mainly for child support. She started going to a Non-Denominational Christian Church to get guidance in her life, and succeeded. I met her when she was a Senior in high school, and have never looked back! She now has a high paying job at a Big company in Omaha as a Business Analyst. I have never met a stronger women to break through the shit she grew up with. She faught hard to get where she is at, and is still fighting. She is 27 credits away fro getting her College Degree. I look up to her every day for what she has done

Reason 4: My Brother in Law... See above for his history growing up. Except to throw a wrench in it... He was told growing up that my wife and him had the same biological father... He found out when he was 20 years old that his dad was someone else.

He has his masters degree in business and is the CFO for a bank in Nebraska. He is married and just had his 1st child

Not saying he is perfect... He had no love from his family growing up, so his compassion for other is almost non existent. When talking with family including my wife everything is on a schedule and is treated like business. Everything in his life is business oriented, because that is his comfort zone.

I could go on an on of success stories, but I am not because it will not matter to you. The truth is "What you get out of life is what you put into it." It is simple is that, and not only black people grew up in poverty. If you can't see it that way, I don't know what to tell you!

Everything I have gotten in life I have worked for. My parents died when I was young, and financially I was given nothing in life. I don't believe in pity stories, because my wife and I have fought hard for what we have, and it wasn't easy. We are still fighting to this day, but we are almost there.

Last edited:
1) He is planning to talk to the police department in Omaha once the season is over.
2) As everyone is likely aware, he's meeting with the Governor of Nebraska. if you don't think that his hope is to have a productive conversation that leads to positive change for the state and ALL of its people, then I can't help you.
3) the fact that he is bringing awareness to what is actually going on in our country may not have gotten through to the hearts of people who aren't willing to contemplate that there are things going on they are either unaware of or reject even exists, even in the face of the facts, that you're not the target. The target audience is the greater majority of people who understand why this is happening, are willing to look introspectively as well as outwardly in their own communities, and be willing to consider the conversation with friends, family, others.

Please explain to me what is exactly trying to get fixed?

1. Poverty for Black people? If that is what he is trying to fix, it's not the governments job to fix that... it's your own.

2 Oppression? If all black people are oppressed, how is Michael Rose Ivey playing football at Nebraska. How is Colin K. playing in the NFL... Once again how is Oprah Winphrey worth 3.9 Billion dollars. Oppressed black people are the same as oppressed white people. They are the ones that are too lazy to actually get up and do something about it.

3. Getting killed by police officers? Not going to explain myself here again

4. Stop Racism? Racism is going to exist no matter how hard you fight to get rid of it. All racism is an opinion based on what you're taught growing up... or something that directly effected you. The majority of people are not racist, and just ignore the idiots who are.

Please explain to me what is trying to be fixed here, because I'm not seeing it? Also for the record I disagree with Daub and Ricketts for doing what they did too, because that also helps nothing.

Last edited:

Reason 1:
Wife's friend in high school was born into a dysfunctional home, and her parents were divorced at a young age. She lived with her dad who not only molested her, but some of her friends too. She got into heavy drugs after high school heroine and cocain, and got in trouble with the law. Once she was released for what she did, she took it upon herself to do something to change her ways. She is now in her mid 30's and has a masters degree, and also married with 3 kids, and making it. Did she have everything she needed to succeed?

Reason 2:
My neighbor is from Togo Africa. Move to America 15 years ago and got his green card. Met his Wife in Queens New York. He has been going to school ever since I have known him, and is on his way to getting his doctorates in Medical field. He has 4 children 2 whom go to a Catholic grade school, and works off hours to provide for his family. His Wife from Queens has her Doctorates and is working her way to what she wants to be at Emmanuel Hospital in Omaha. Was he giving everything needed to succeed?

Reason 3: My Wife... Her biological dad left when she was born, because he was abusive to her mom. Her mom met her adoptive father when she was 4, They got divorced when she was 8. Her mom didn't want custody of her so she was raise by her single dad who adopted her. She felt unwanted growing up, and was picked on in school because of her clothes and hygiene. She was extremely poor and had no women role model to teach her how to dress. Her dad was in and out of girlfriends all through her adolescence.

When she got to high school her mom took her and her two brother back, mainly for child support. She started going to a Non-Denominational Christian Church to get guidance in her life, and succeeded. I met her when she was a Senior in high school, and have never looked back! She now has a high paying job at a Big company in Omaha as a Business Analyst. I have never met a stronger women to break through the shit she grew up with. She faught hard to get where she is at, and is still fighting. She is 27 credits away fro getting her College Degree. I look up to her every day for what she has done

Reason 4: My Brother in Law... See above for his history growing up. Except to throw a wrench in it... He was told growing up that my wife and him had the same biological father... He found out when he was 20 years old that his dad was someone else.

He has his masters degree in business and is the CFO for a bank in Nebraska. He is married and just had his 1st child

Not saying he is perfect... He had no love from his family growing up, so his compassion for other is almost non existent. When talking with family including my wife everything is on a schedule and is treated like business. Everything in his life is business oriented, because that is his comfort zone.

I could go on an on of success stories, but I am not because it will not matter to you. The truth is "What you get out of life is what you put into it." It is simple is that, and not only black people grew up in poverty. If you can't see it that way, I don't know what to tell you!

Everything I have gotten in life I have worked for. My parents died when I was young, and financially I was given nothing in life. I don't believe in pity stories, because my wife and I have fought hard for what we have, and it wasn't easy. We are still fighting to this day, but we are almost there.

I'm glad to hear about the success of your family and neighbors.

Do you understand that the nature of your peer group means you are likely to encounter and interact with individuals who are about as successful as you are, and the fact that some of them overcame disadvantages doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't many, many people who are working very hard but haven't managed to do the same?

Reason 1:

Reason 2:

Your anecdotes are very interesting and I'm very happy for you and your family. There are many more anecdotes that argue the opposite story, despite their attempts to succeed. But guess what, no one really talks about that stuff. People love success stories, not those who fought an uphill battle their whole life and yet couldn't make it without assistance. And I don't think there is anything wrong with helping those people. That's what life is supposed to be about. We're meant to take care of and watch out for one another.

The problem with anecdotes is that they aren't necessarily supported by facts and data. While I'm in no way belittling the stories or the people in them that you told me, I am telling you that they have very little to do with the truth and data that support how people in this country are being marginalized. This entire movement is about speaking out for and hopefully doing something to make changes so that people stop being marginalized. I think that is something the people in your stories would want for other people, for them to not be marginalized and be allowed the same opportunities everyone else has.

Reactions: big red22
I'll tell you this much, I don't see fat white people protesting or rioting, and yet they are treated different also. I know, because I am one! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT