ADVERTISEMENT

Question for all who want staff fired now?

Row80

Sophomore
Dec 11, 2008
Who do you think we'd get to replace our staff if they are fired this year?

Le'ts assume that Riley and staff are fired at the end of the year. If that happens, this is what candidates will be looking at:

1. We've fired four coaches in 12 years (Solich 2003, Callahan 2007, Pelini 2014, Riley 2015)
  2. One of those coaches won at least nine games per year
  3. One of those coaches won 75% of his games and had only one season with fewer than nine wins
  4. One of those coaches was fired after a year
Why would any coach want to come here? - short of Warren Buffet or someone putting up a ton of money to pay this guy on par with Saben/Meyer etc.

As much as no one likes what is happening right now, it would be program suicide to fire Riley this year.

Nebraska is one of the best jobs in the country. I posted a link earlier where Athlon rated the job at #17. That means there are only 16 jobs out there that are better than Nebraska and most of them have coaches that aren't going anywhere, any time soon.

Nebraska could easily attract a big time coach. You have to consider that if Riley was fired, Eichorst would be fired first. Most coaches do not have a mindset that they are going to fail--and if they do, I don't want them anyway. If you can't deal with the pressure to win-then go coach at Kansas. There are plenty of coaches that embrace the pressure. Frankly I think it is a pussy mentality to think "who is going to want to come here". This is frickin Nebraska.

If you think that Riley is not going to be able to turn around the program, you do not keep him around because you are afraid you might not be able to hire another coach. You should hit the reset button.

Having said that, I am back and forth on the Riley situation. Part of me thinks you give him another year. See how he finishes in recruiting and see how they do next year. Nebraska has several close losses and is one of the worst in the country in turnover margin. As I said in another post-if you follow Phil Steele, those are both usually indicators that a team could have a big turnaround.

Then on the other hand I think, most of these close losses are against teams that are not very good and it might be hard for the turnover margin to get better when the defense is usually out of position enough that they aren't going to create many turnovers.

Right now I am about 95% sure that Riley (with Banker) are in over their heads. Since there is no chance Riley gets fired this year, all this talk is just hypothetical and we will know more about this staff by next year.

Reactions: HuskerDana
NU is a great job. And we do have some money to throw at folks when the time comes. I don't think that time is this year though.

Reactions: The Tooth Fairy
Nebraska is one of the best jobs in the country. I posted a link earlier where Athlon rated the job at #17. That means there are only 16 jobs out there that are better than Nebraska and most of them have coaches that aren't going anywhere, any time soon.

Nebraska could easily attract a big time coach. You have to consider that if Riley was fired, Eichorst would be fired first. Most coaches do not have a mindset that they are going to fail--and if they do, I don't want them anyway. If you can't deal with the pressure to win-then go coach at Kansas. There are plenty of coaches that embrace the pressure. Frankly I think it is a pussy mentality to think "who is going to want to come here". This is frickin Nebraska.

If you think that Riley is not going to be able to turn around the program, you do not keep him around because you are afraid you might not be able to hire another coach. You should hit the reset button.

Having said that, I am back and forth on the Riley situation. Part of me thinks you give him another year. See how he finishes in recruiting and see how they do next year. Nebraska has several close losses and is one of the worst in the country in turnover margin. As I said in another post-if you follow Phil Steele, those are both usually indicators that a team could have a big turnaround.

Then on the other hand I think, most of these close losses are against teams that are not very good and it might be hard for the turnover margin to get better when the defense is usually out of position enough that they aren't going to create many turnovers.

Right now I am about 95% sure that Riley (with Banker) are in over their heads. Since there is no chance Riley gets fired this year, all this talk is just hypothetical and we will know more about this staff by next year.
I don't know if Nebraska is a top 20 job even. The state doesn't produce any talent. A Lot of schools have caught up with our facilities. We should still be able to compete for the BIG West title on a yearly basis though. If Nebraska would put their money where their mouth is an offer 4 to 6 million a year,I am sure you could find someone established, but we won't do it for some reason.

Reactions: elvis1403
Why would anyone want Riley fired... That would still mean Eichorst would be picking the next Head Coach again.

He all ready ****it the first time we need this guy gone first.

Reactions: fan1212
Why would anyone want Riley fired... That would still mean Eichorst would be picking the next Head Coach again.

He all ready ****it the first time we need this guy gone first.
Eichorst will go before Riley. He has commented on the coach twice this season even though his policy is to say nothing until the season is over. He is pretty worried.

Le'ts assume that Riley and staff are fired at the end of the year. If that happens, this is what candidates will be looking at:

1. We've fired four coaches in 12 years (Solich 2003, Callahan 2007, Pelini 2014, Riley 2015)
  3. One of those coaches won 75% of his games and had only one season with fewer than nine wins
Why would any coach want to come here? - short of Warren Buffet or someone putting up a ton of money to pay this guy on par with Saben/Meyer etc.

As much as no one likes what is happening right now, it would be program suicide to fire Riley this year.
Money speaks

You really think Shawn will be making that call? I know nothing. but if a new coach is needed Shawn will not be asked to do anything.

Nope I truly don't.. Just responding to the original post.

So people know Tommy sucks based on his performance. But they think Riley is actually going to do anything of significance, and ignore his past performance. this board...smdh

This point has been brought up so many times on here. I don't really think it has any standing. Money talk, you pay someone enough you can get just about anybody to come. All these coaches are professionals, they know the demands of the job. This would not play a factor at all.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Not if he has a losing season next year.
Yeah the Purdue loss really bumped up the time table on Riley and Co. I don't think there is anything at this point that will get him fired this year (record wise). I also don't think he will get 3 years if next year is the same as this. I think next year he need to have a winning record or he will probably be gone as well as Mr Eichorst.

Everytime we have a coaching change or talk about wanting one, people throw around 6 or 8 million per year, but we have never paid that much for a coach. I don't get why people keep thinking that we are going to throw out big dollars and then when Nebraska doesn't they act like it is a huge surprise and are upset that they went the budget route.

Everytime we have a coaching change or talk about wanting one, people throw around 6 or 8 million per year, but we have never paid that much for a coach. I don't get why people keep thinking that we are going to throw out big dollars and then when Nebraska doesn't they act like it is a huge surprise and are upset that they went the budget route.

Its not different than any other distribution of wealth.

none of these posters have any money, and its easy to spend some other guy's who is going to have to write a check. That's right, spending booster money is the social program of Husker message boards.

as far as the rich guys I know, most don't mind ponying up checks now and again for these types of things, but two years in a row is probably not in the cards.

Reactions: Row80 and 94husker
Probably would have been to ask that question when we fired a coach that won 75% of his games and one that won 9 games every year.

POTW.

You know a billion points have been brought up about what the major screw ups are, and whose fault it is. Throughout all of it, the clock management, the botched effort and execution, the injuries, the psycho drama that is Pelini's ghost or whatever, perhaps being too buddy reliant in the staff selection, the one thing that stands out to me is this...

Even given all that, if we had *two* DB's, like legit cover DBs, we would be undefeated and probably favored the rest of the way until we met OSU.

Yes, with the 40 TA dropbacks per game and 54% pct, yes with the 4 walkons in the front 7, yes with the occassional WR dropsies, yes with the 7 FG kick offsides, yes inspite of all of it.

You know a billion points have been brought up about what the major screw ups are, and whose fault it is. Throughout all of it, the clock management, the botched effort and execution, the injuries, the psycho drama that is Pelini's ghost or whatever, perhaps being too buddy reliant in the staff selection, the one thing that stands out to me is this...

Even given all that, if we had *two* DB's, like legit cover DBs, we would be undefeated and probably favored the rest of the way until we met OSU.

Yes, with the 40 TA dropbacks per game and 54% pct, yes with the 4 walkons in the front 7, yes with the occassional WR dropsies, yes with the 7 FG kick offsides, yes inspite of all of it.

The problem is not necessarily the DB's. I have posted before that athletically Kalu and Rose are good enough athletes to be good corners. I think the play with poor technique and eye discipline. I also think a lot of the secondary issues are schematic.

I have a much bigger issue with Banker especially and Stewart.

The problem is not necessarily the DB's. I have posted before that athletically Kalu and Rose are good enough athletes to be good corners. I think the play with poor technique and eye discipline. I also think a lot of the secondary issues are schematic.

I have a much bigger issue with Banker especially and Stewart.

Still feeling my way around the possibilities. Not thrilled with the Banker hire, but other teams can and do play high level Cover 4. MSU is one of them. MSU also doesn't outrecruit us by a large margin on average, so we could certainly get there.

So then you have to start to wonder about Stewart.

If we could fix the pass defense, we fix in the W column a ton of what ails us even if its not necessarily NCAA 2008 pretty all the time. If kalu and rose are ok fits, then one has to seriously consider chucking Stewart overboard, but not necessarily Banker. If we had a Top 50 pass defense to go with our Run D and were undefeated, Banker might be spoken about like we do McBride.

Still feeling my way around the possibilities. Not thrilled with the Banker hire, but other teams can and do play high level Cover 4. MSU is one of them. MSU also doesn't outrecruit us by a large margin on average, so we could certainly get there.

So then you have to start to wonder about Stewart.

If we could fix the pass defense, we fix in the W column a ton of what ails us even if its not necessarily NCAA 2008 pretty all the time. If kalu and rose are ok fits, then one has to seriously consider chucking Stewart overboard, but not necessarily Banker. If we had a Top 50 pass defense to go with our Run D and were undefeated, Banker might be spoken about like we do McBride.
Stewart should have been chucked overboard after the first couple of weeks. I've never seen defensive backs play so bad. If you're going to play the pass like they do, you need to get your hands up. Our defensive backs have their hands at their sides the entire time, and the ball goes right by them and is caught. I hate that style of defensive back play anyway. I'd rather they see the ball, than have their back to it the entire time trying to play the receiver. Then they would have a lot more chances to cause turnovers.

Stewart should have been chucked overboard after the first couple of weeks. I've never seen defensive backs play so bad. If you're going to play the pass like they do, you need to get your hands up. Our defensive backs have their hands at their sides the entire time, and the ball goes right by them and is caught. I hate that style of defensive back play anyway. I'd rather they see the ball, than have their back to it the entire time trying to play the receiver. Then they would have a lot more chances to cause turnovers.

So when did he forget how to coach DBs?

Stewart joined the Nebraska staff after three seasons as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at the University of Maryland. His stop at Maryland continued an impressive coaching resume that includes seven years as a defensive coordinator—five years in college football and two in the National Football League. Stewart also has 15 years of tutoring defensive backs on his coaching resume.

In his three seasons on the Maryland staff, Stewart helped the Terrapins to a pair of bowl appearances. The attacking Terrapin defense tallied more than 30 sacks each of the past two seasons.

Defensive back Will Likely was a standout under Stewart’s guidance, leading the Big Ten in interceptions in 2014 en route to first-team all-conference honors. In Stewart’s first year at Maryland in 2012, his defense finished in the top three in the ACC in total defense, rushing defense and pass defense and was 21st nationally in total defense.

Stewart re-joined the college ranks as the defensive coordinator at the University of Houston in 2010 and 2011. Stewart’s stingy defense played a key role in the Cougars’ 13-1 record and No. 14 final national ranking in 2011.

He spent the previous eight years in the NFL, including a two-year stint as the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008. As the Cowboys’ defense coordinator, Stewart guided Dallas to two top-10 rankings in fewest yards allowed. He helped the Cowboys to a 13-3 record and NFC East divisional title in 2007.

Stewart also served as an assistant coach with the Philadelphia Eagles (2009), San Diego Chargers (2004-06) and the Houston Texas (2002-03). Each of the teams Stewart coached in his final six NFL seasons won at least nine games, including three division champions and four playoff teams. During his time in the NFL, Stewart helped 14 players make Pro Bowl appearances.

Before his stint in the National Football League, Stewart had college assistant coaching stops at Syracuse, Missouri, San Jose State, Northern Arizona and Cal Poly. A California native, Stewart played defensive back at Santa Monica City College and Northern Arizona.

To be honest I would go even further than firing the AD. NU needs to get out of the Big 10. It's not a good fit for the school or it's athletic programs. People mock the idea of talking to the SEC because we would seem that NU is too far behind the elite programs in that conference but:
1) NU would gain exposure in the richest recruiting areas of the country
2) A&M and Missouri have shown that middling programs can succeed in that conference
3) Oklahoma would probably join as well, helping restore a rivalry
4) Saban will probably leave for the NFL or retire soon
5) The style of football actually fits NU well (strong running game and an attacking defense)
6) NU won't be treated like the dopey kid who loses his AAU status

If that isn't an option maybe look at being independent like BYU

The answer to your question is TOM HERMAN!!

Guy will be a star and I would hate to miss out on him. Should have taken a shot on him last year but it is still not too late.

If Nebraska finally tried to be competitive and open the checkbook, I could definitely see Herman taking this job.

These top head coaches have major egos. They don't look at the situation and think they might get fired before ever coming in. Our past coaching situations don't matter, these guys think they are the one who will win.

To be honest I would go even further than firing the AD. NU needs to get out of the Big 10. It's not a good fit for the school or it's athletic programs. People mock the idea of talking to the SEC because we would seem that NU is too far behind the elite programs in that conference but:
1) NU would gain exposure in the richest recruiting areas of the country
2) A&M and Missouri have shown that middling programs can succeed in that conference
3) Oklahoma would probably join as well, helping restore a rivalry
4) Saban will probably leave for the NFL or retire soon
5) The style of football actually fits NU well (strong running game and an attacking defense)
6) NU won't be treated like the dopey kid who loses his AAU status

If that isn't an option maybe look at being independent like BYU

I hope you aren't drug tested today.

So when did he forget how to coach DBs?

Stewart joined the Nebraska staff after three seasons as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at the University of Maryland. His stop at Maryland continued an impressive coaching resume that includes seven years as a defensive coordinator—five years in college football and two in the National Football League. Stewart also has 15 years of tutoring defensive backs on his coaching resume.

In his three seasons on the Maryland staff, Stewart helped the Terrapins to a pair of bowl appearances. The attacking Terrapin defense tallied more than 30 sacks each of the past two seasons.

Defensive back Will Likely was a standout under Stewart’s guidance, leading the Big Ten in interceptions in 2014 en route to first-team all-conference honors. In Stewart’s first year at Maryland in 2012, his defense finished in the top three in the ACC in total defense, rushing defense and pass defense and was 21st nationally in total defense.

Stewart re-joined the college ranks as the defensive coordinator at the University of Houston in 2010 and 2011. Stewart’s stingy defense played a key role in the Cougars’ 13-1 record and No. 14 final national ranking in 2011.

He spent the previous eight years in the NFL, including a two-year stint as the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008. As the Cowboys’ defense coordinator, Stewart guided Dallas to two top-10 rankings in fewest yards allowed. He helped the Cowboys to a 13-3 record and NFC East divisional title in 2007.

Stewart also served as an assistant coach with the Philadelphia Eagles (2009), San Diego Chargers (2004-06) and the Houston Texas (2002-03). Each of the teams Stewart coached in his final six NFL seasons won at least nine games, including three division champions and four playoff teams. During his time in the NFL, Stewart helped 14 players make Pro Bowl appearances.

Before his stint in the National Football League, Stewart had college assistant coaching stops at Syracuse, Missouri, San Jose State, Northern Arizona and Cal Poly. A California native, Stewart played defensive back at Santa Monica City College and Northern Arizona.
So a proven coach with a successful track record has one of the worst pass defenses in the country this year. Does that say more about him or his players? Don't we all know the answer to this question?

So a proven coach with a successful track record has one of the worst pass defenses in the country this year. Does that say more about him or his players? Don't we all know the answer to this question?

One would think its at least minimally a player issue. Its a transition year. I'm personally willing to see what one more year can do.

There are other good DB coaches out there, but there's nothing wrong with Coach Stewarts resume. He's not an Elmassaian type background.

I have been a Riley supporter but he lost me this last game. I know that we have tons of injuries and poor talent but our talent is not three wins poor. I think we all can agree to this. I see absolutely no evidence of improvement in any capacity. Our coaching staff came in and made a mistake by coming in soft and scared to offend the players since they just lost their coach. They did not begin from the get go setting the tone and expectations. We trot out the same old guys that are giving half ass effort, while some justify they are the best we have. Well we can lose with anyone playing but at least find guys that want to go out and bust their ass and want to improve.

Riley is a hard guy not to root for but his track record right looks to be repeating itself at Nebraska. I have never been a fan of trying to install a prostyle offense at Nebraska, I just do not think we will be able to consistently recruit to it but I am not the decision maker doing the hiring. Tough spot here, we don't fire him and let him have more time, could be more time to erode the program even further. Fire him and we start over again which causes its own issues. All I know is that the decision makers from Pearlman to the Board of Regents all need to go. They have screwed this thing up for over 15 years and I have no confidence of them improving it in any capacity. What we have consistently seen is a waste of money and time over this period and a program that now is a shadow of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT