ADVERTISEMENT

Blackshirts awarded Sunday. Coaches on the field/up in the box.

Oct 10, 2021
"He confirmed during his availability that the coaching staff will begin handing out the blackshirts later this weekend."

"I would never want to call the game from the field. I’d always want to be up top where it’s a little more sterile and less emotional, but Sat (Coach Satterfield) likes to call it from the field. Tony (Coach White) likes to call it from the field.

Sometimes the coordinators like to go up to the box just to get away from me after a couple games. 😂

I don’t spend too much time worrying about it. We’ve done so much preparation. There’s not a thing that’ll be called that we haven’t prepared for and talked about. We literally will talk like, ‘it’s third and seven on the 32 yard line I say ‘you got two downs. We’re going for a fourth and two. What are you calling?’ And they better be able to say it to me like that. Sat’s (Coach Satterfield) elite at that. He’s worked for me before. Tony (White) is really smart in that way and so is Ed (Coach Scott). I would think all three coordinators will be down on the field and probably Garret (McGuire) will go up top because he really sees the passing game well. Aaron Coeling who is one of the finest young coaches I’ve ever been around is a graduate assistant for us and that allows him to be on the headset. He works hand in hand with Donny (Coach Raiola) so he’ll be up as well seeing the run game and one other coach.

On defense I would anticipate Rob (Coach Dvoracek) going up and I’m not sure what they’re going to do with Coop (Coach Cooper), but I see the coordinators being down on the field.”

Last edited:
I like that our coordinators are calling the game from the sideline

not sure what our history is there, but always thought it's best to get immediate feedback from position groups as opposed to the bird's eye view. especially on offense.

not sure what our history is there, but always thought it's best to get immediate feedback from position groups as opposed to the bird's eye view. especially on offense.
Solich and Tenopir were up in the booth for TO but he was his own coordinator..

Believe Monte Johnson was on the field with Devaney as defensive coordinator..

Osborne and McBride were both on the sideline as coordinators. Enough said.
I think Warren Powers was also on the sideline if I remember correctly, but he wasn’t a coordinator but was a head coach for both Washington St and Missouri..

Warren was pissed he didn’t get the Nebraska job but his first two teams beat Osborne…

Always thought he would have done well at Nebraska too..

Who was the OC for Callahan that was upstairs but then brought down to the field once the s**t started hitting the fan? Crap, my memory is getting bad.

I think Warren Powers was also on the sideline if I remember correctly, but he wasn’t a coordinator but was a head coach for both Washington St and Missouri..

Warren was pissed he didn’t get the Nebraska job but his first two teams beat Osborne…

Always thought he would have done well at Nebraska too..

I think hiring Osborne as head coach worked out in the end. Winking

Reactions: scarletred
Carl was on the sidelines but would retreat to the box at the half for some blow and pussy

"He confirmed during his availability that the coaching staff will begin handing out the blackshirts later this weekend."

"I would never want to call the game from the field. I’d always want to be up top where it’s a little more sterile and less emotional, but Sat (Coach Satterfield) likes to call it from the field. Tony (Coach White) likes to call it from the field.

Sometimes the coordinators like to go up to the box just to get away from me after a couple games. 😂

I don’t spend too much time worrying about it. We’ve done so much preparation. There’s not a thing that’ll be called that we haven’t prepared for and talked about. We literally will talk like, ‘it’s third and seven on the 32 yard line I say ‘you got two downs. We’re going for a fourth and two. What are you calling?’ And they better be able to say it to me like that. Sat’s (Coach Satterfield) elite at that. He’s worked for me before. Tony (White) is really smart in that way and so is Ed (Coach Scott). I would think all three coordinators will be down on the field and probably Garret (McGuire) will go up top because he really sees the passing game well. Aaron Coeling who is one of the finest young coaches I’ve ever been around is a graduate assistant for us and that allows him to be on the headset. He works hand in hand with Donny (Coach Raiola) so he’ll be up as well seeing the run game and one other coach.

On defense I would anticipate Rob (Coach Dvoracek) going up and I’m not sure what they’re going to do with Coop (Coach Cooper), but I see the coordinators being down on the field.”

Just like Frost.

Osborne told a Pelini the offense wasn’t broke and talked Pelini in retaining Watson ..
He didn’t talk Bo into it . It was a requirement for who took the job .,that’s why Jim Grobe said no . Brian Kelly and Gary Patterson and eve Mike Gundy said no thanks to TO and Nebraska.

I actually thought the opposite. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can't remember the last time I saw a successful team do this. Vast majority have at least one in the booth. Gotta believe there's a reason for that. I do seem to recall some teams switching to coordinator(s) moving to the booth as a mid-season adjustment after getting beat a few times. It honestly seems kind of bush league to me. Yeah, I don't love this at all. Maybe it's a chemistry thing for the early stages of getting Rhule's culture in place?

He didn’t talk Bo into it . It was a requirement for who took the job .,that’s why Jim Grobe said no . Brian Kelly and Gary Patterson and eve Mike Gundy said no thanks to TO and Nebraska.

Huh, I don't remember that. I always thought Bo was TO's first and only candidate. Doesn't surprise me though because I do remember TO being really dug in on us being fine on offense and talking all about just needing to fix the defense. Mind-boggling that he was such a great coach and such a horrible AD.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Huh, I don't remember that. I always thought Bo was TO's first and only candidate. Doesn't surprise me though because I do remember TO being really dug in on us being fine on offense and talking all about just needing to fix the defense. Mind-boggling that he was such a great coach and such a horrible AD.
Keep in mind Pederson and Eichorst were 💯 times worse than TO..

All I know is, I hope to hell Cooper is down on the field. That dude doesn't screw around, he does a great job of teaching these kids, and I think he motivates the shit out of them.

As NU is "trying" to transition to a tough, physical team that is not used to winning, we have to constantly have those coaches reminding them how tough camp has been, and the game is the time to prove it.

Not sure Tom was really a horrible AD. I wasn’t wild about him hiring Bo and then REALLY couldn’t understand him putting up with the BS BUT Bo did win. Most Husker basketball fans realize now that Miles wasn’t as bad as it could get either. Miles kind of fought the same demon that Bo did once TO retired. One could argue that IF Tom had been allowed to pick his successor as AD that we might have avoided the disaster that was Bo’s and Tim’s last year. They were dead men walking when TO was forced out.

Reactions: arf_man
Not sure Tom was really a horrible AD. I wasn’t wild about him hiring Bo and then REALLY couldn’t understand him putting up with the BS BUT Bo did win. Most Husker basketball fans realize now that Miles wasn’t as bad as it could get either. Miles kind of fought the same demon that Bo did once TO retired. One could argue that IF Tom had been allowed to pick his successor as AD that we might have avoided the disaster that was Bo’s and Tim’s last year. They were dead men walking when TO was forced out.
First of all, we all agree TO was a great football coach. As an AD, he wasn't.

One of my best friends is the Athletic Director at a BIG school, and I asked him point blank if he felt TO was going to be a good AD, and he said no.

He acknowledge Tom as a great football coach, but said the days of the former football coaches (Devaney/Osborne) becoming the AD at a major university were mostly over.

There was Alvarez and maybe a few others, but they have fallen by the wayside in favor of the more computer savvy, businessman type approach.

I think my friend was right.

First of all, we all agree TO was a great football coach. As an AD, he wasn't.

One of my best friends is the Athletic Director at a BIG school, and I asked him point blank if he felt TO was going to be a good AD, and he said no.

He acknowledge Tom as a great football coach, but said the days of the former football coaches (Devaney/Osborne) becoming the AD at a major university were mostly over.

There was Alvarez and maybe a few others, but they have fallen by the wayside in favor of the more computer savvy, businessman type approach.

I think my friend was right.
Personally I think the east stadium addition was a mistake under his watch. I was showing him some grace for his hires. I was NOT a Pelini fan but I can see his logic in hiring him and in fact he’s the winningest coach we’ve had since Frank. I wanted him and Carl fired pretty quickly though. IMO Callahan minus Cosgrove had the potential to be the best of the bunch but Tom’s minions sabotaged him.

Similarly Miles was not a bad hire on paper at the time either. Miles most definitely lacked administrative support from a contract standpoint. That KILLED his ability to recruit those last 2 years.

Personally I think the east stadium addition was a mistake under his watch. I was showing him some grace for his hires. I was NOT a Pelini fan but I can see his logic in hiring him and in fact he’s the winningest coach we’ve had since Frank. I wanted him and Carl fired pretty quickly though. Similarly Miles was not a bad hire on paper at the time either. Miles most definitely lacked administrative support from a contract standpoint. That KILLED his ability to recruit those last 2 years.
I was and still am a huge fan of Tom's as a head football coach.

I didn't/don't like his politics and I'm glad he was a short term Congressman.

He's likely way too much of a straight arrow to have ever been a good politician.

As far as Pelini, I despised the way Neuheisel verbally berated his CU QB's in front of the whole stadium, I despised Spurrier for the demeaning way he treated his QB's at Florida, so I had a pretty quick hook for Pelini when he started the same bullshit. Obviously, treating game officials the same way didn't help his team.

You can chew their ass out, you just don't have to make a spectacle out of it. Thats' why I ****ing hate college basketball, those coaches think they're the show people came to watch.

I was and still am a huge fan of Tom's as a head football coach.

I didn't/don't like his politics and I'm glad he was a short term Congressman.

He's likely way too much of a straight arrow to have ever been a good politician.

As far as Pelini, I despised the way Neuheisel verbally berated his CU QB's in front of the whole stadium, I despised Spurrier for the demeaning way he treated his QB's at Florida, so I had a pretty quick hook for Pelini when he started the same bullshit. Obviously, treating game officials the same way didn't help his team.

You can chew their ass out, you just don't have to make a spectacle out of it. Thats' why I ****ing hate college basketball, those coaches think they're the show people came to watch.
I have a family member who had a professional relationship with Tom and Frank. Frank told him early on that he had warned Tom not to hire Bo. I think Tom caved to pressure from Hawks. He had similar working relationships with BC and Coz and said they were actually very good guys to deal with. I’ve got a story about Bo that he shared but I can’t share that one. Bo was a mess. He was not emotionally equipped to be a P5 head coach.

I have a family member who had a professional relationship with Tom and Frank. Frank told him early on that he had warned Tom not to hire Bo. I think Tom caved to pressure from Hawks. He had similar working relationships with BC and Coz and said they were actually very good guys to deal with. I’ve got a story about Bo that he shared but I can’t share that one. Bo was a mess. He was not emotionally equipped to be a P5 head coach.
If Bo would have had some organization in recruiting, he would have continued to thrive. I have a family member who played for Bo that said he was great to all of the players, but said his recruiting was just an absolute nightmare. Bo worked hard behind the scenes game planning and doing other things to help us win, but the horses just weren't there the final years to execute his plan.

I agree on Callahan as well. He failed because he refused to make the changes that a CEO should. My family member said Callahan was a great developer and he used a lot of that in the NFL when he went there, but same thing as Pelini, Callahan just was blind to a few weaknesses that if shored up he would have been really successful.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it sucks because each of those guys could have had a different history. Hell, go back and just listen to the announcers in the 2010 K-State game when we kicked their ass and T-Magic went wild. They were saying NU is was a National Title Caliber team... I wish Taylor would have never got hurt.

If Bo would have had some organization in recruiting, he would have continued to thrive. I have a family member who played for Bo that said he was great to all of the players, but said his recruiting was just an absolute nightmare. Bo worked hard behind the scenes game planning and doing other things to help us win, but the horses just weren't there the final years to execute his plan.

I agree on Callahan as well. He failed because he refused to make the changes that a CEO should. My family member said Callahan was a great developer and he used a lot of that in the NFL when he went there, but same thing as Pelini, Callahan just was blind to a few weaknesses that if shored up he would have been really successful.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it sucks because each of those guys could have had a different history. Hell, go back and just listen to the announcers in the 2010 K-State game when we kicked their ass and T-Magic went wild. They were saying NU is was a National Title Caliber team... I wish Taylor would have never got hurt.
Callahan really didn’t have a great reason to change DC until his last year and then Tom never gave him a chance to. Elmassian was a HUGE weak spot and he was hired because Pederson wanted him for his recruiting reputation.

There were plenty of PR blunders by Callahan and one could make the case that he wasn’t equipped personality wise to lead NU. That said he worked his ass off and was extremely organized especially in recruiting. The bottom line though was he was not a great fit and the timing for him was really bad. I harbor no ill will to the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT