ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions for this season

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
It is early morning here in PA and I am bored. I know it is early but I am curious what people think our season will be like. Here are my way too early predictions:

Fresno State: We win by a big margin. Good start
Wyoming: another blowout win.
Oregon: Not a blowout but we win comfortably by 2 touchdowns. Momentum really builds
Northwestern: Close game but we pull it out.
Illinois: A blowout win. Revenge is sweet.
Indiana: A scary game. But we win a shootout.
Wisconsin: This game is a toss up. My gut says this is a loss.
Ohio State: We lose by three touchdowns. We are not yet at that level again.
Minnesota: Win. We stop the bleeding of the previous two weeks.
Maryland: Win. I think this starts as a close game but we pull away at the end
Iowa: Another toss up game on the road. As with Wisky, I go with my gut. But this time my gut says we win.

That would give us two losses in the B1G. I think the West will be won by either NU or Iowa or Wisky. I think Wisky will take it. But if we do win the West we will, I think, face Michigan for the title. And that would be a closer game than people think.

Reactions: Cornhuskers10
It looks like 7-5 to me. Losses to Oregon, Indiana, OSU, Maryland and Iowa.

Pennysyhusker, may want to take a look at the Badgers first 6 conference games.

At Michigan St
At Michigan
Bye
tOSU
At Iowa
Nebraska
At Northwestern

I think it comes down to Black Friday game in Iowa City, winner wins the West.

I'm less encouraged than others about this ability of this staff to prepare and coach this team to be championship contenders. There is no doubt that the key stretch is the 4 road games out of 6 in the heart of the schedule. Here are my thoughts as we stand today. BTW, you left Purdue off of the schedule.

Fresno State: Easy win
Wyoming: Another easy win
Oregon: Loss - we can't keep up with their speed in a high scoring shootout
@Northwestern: Win a close one
Illinois: Win
@Indiana: Close loss - Riley and co. produce a brain fart similar to Purdue LY against an improving program
PURDUE: Win but closer than expected
@Wisconsin: Loss - after a tough start to the conference season, Badgers figure out a way to get the win
@Ohio State: Big loss - Buckeyes just out talent us
Minnesota: Win - but a nail biter. This could be a loss and Wisky a win.
Maryland: Win. We are third game after facing UM and OSU for the Terps
Iowa: Win. Been a strange series with visitors winning more than home teams.

I see 8-4 at best and possibly 7-5. I think our offense will be dangerous but still erratic and I have little faith in Banker.

No question Indiana will be a much tougher game than last years games at Illinois and at Purdue.

We will know a lot more about our defense after the Oregon and Northwestern games which would give us some sort of sign how will we will do against Wisconsin and Ohio St.

Here is my rationale.. compared to the regular season last year, we are better by 3 games, but the schedule is harder, so subtract one.

7-5

Fresno-Win

Wyoming-Win

Oregon-Win (they replace too much and have two new coordinators and a new QB.)

@ Northwestern-Toss up, this is the momentum game of the year IMO. Have to win this one. Good thing is there will be more Huskers than Wildcat fans in attendance.

Illinois-Win but might be a little close after two tough games in Oregon and NW.

@ Indiana-Win, they don't have Jordan Howard and they don't have Nate Sudfeld and their defense will still be terrible. Helps this game is at 2:30.

Purdue-Win

@ Wisconsin-Toss up, but I think a W. The Wisconsin schedule can't go unnoticed, they have LSU to open the year, then their next six weeks are, @ MSU, @ Michigan, BYE, Ohio State, @ Iowa, then Nebraska. That's a lot of games getting beat up physically and mentally. New QB breaking in too.

@tOSU-Loss by 14-17. Urban is too good and the Huskers just aren't there yet.

Minnesota-Win but could be close.

Maryland-Easy win.

@ Iowa-Toss up, I'll say a loss. Just a lot to overcome towards the end of the year.

10-2 or 9-3. I personally think 8-4 is the floor with this team.

Reactions: HuskerO
It is early morning here in PA and I am bored. I know it is early but I am curious what people think our season will be like. Here are my way too early predictions:

Fresno State: We win by a big margin. Good start
Wyoming: another blowout win.
Oregon: Not a blowout but we win comfortably by 2 touchdowns. Momentum really builds
Northwestern: Close game but we pull it out.
Illinois: A blowout win. Revenge is sweet.
Indiana: A scary game. But we win a shootout.
Wisconsin: This game is a toss up. My gut says this is a loss.
Ohio State: We lose by three touchdowns. We are not yet at that level again.
Minnesota: Win. We stop the bleeding of the previous two weeks.
Maryland: Win. I think this starts as a close game but we pull away at the end
Iowa: Another toss up game on the road. As with Wisky, I go with my gut. But this time my gut says we win.

That would give us two losses in the B1G. I think the West will be won by either NU or Iowa or Wisky. I think Wisky will take it. But if we do win the West we will, I think, face Michigan for the title. And that would be a closer game than people think.

I will say 7-5 too. I am really concerned with the defensive line experience and depth. An injury or two on the DL and this defense is toast. It's the one unit you really can't patch over and the margins are razor thin this season due to lopsided recruiting, graduations and early declares.

I will say 7-5 too. I am really concerned with the defensive line experience and depth. An injury or two on the DL and this defense is toast. It's the one unit you really can't patch over and the margins are razor thin this season due to lopsided recruiting, graduations and early declares.
Well I guess one good thing about our record last year is that 7-5 will be seen as an improvement and the program heading in the right direction.

That would give us two losses in the B1G. I think the West will be won by either NU or Iowa or Wisky. I think Wisky will take it.

That is just insanity. Look at their schedule.

That's not even factoring in the fact that their offense is a total mess and they lost their rock star DC.

Bucky's best days are well behind them.

That is just insanity. Look at their schedule.

That's not even factoring in the fact that their offense is a total mess and they lost their rock star DC.

Bucky's best days are well behind them.
I think that might be true. I could see them starting to become that typical Big Ten 7-9 win team each year.

Reactions: red rover 70
Small improvement to 6-6 or 7-5 unless the team and coaches figure out how to stop giving away games in the last minute.

Reactions: KFDVM
Attitude alone should bring us to 8 wins this year. Last year you had kids who admitted they still hadn't bought it at mid season. Trending upward for the first time in a long long time.

Reactions: blackbones
Thanks for the responses. Sorry I forgot Purdue. Brain fart. I think we win.

Yes, I am going out on a limb with my Wisky pick. But I think they lose to OSU and Michigan but have a good shot at beating MSU. That gives them two sure losses and a probable loss to someone else as all med level teams, like us, stub their toe once. That gives them 3 losses. We will lose, imo, to Wisky and OSU. But my predictions above are what I think SHOULD happen head-to-head against each team. However, most likely we too lose a third game as we too will stub our toe against someone we should beat. Indiana, NW, Iowa, Maryland... who knows? That gives us 3 losses with Wisky winning the West since they beat us. I know they lost a lot of key players. But I think they will be better than people think. I hope I am wrong.

As for Iowa I see them losing to us and Wisky and one other team. Three losses in the B1G for them too. They had a good run last year, have key players back and have another good schedule. So reason says Iowa. Meh. It's Iowa. They will fall back this year.

Last edited:
Fresno St- W
Wyoming- W
Oregon- W
Northwestern- W
Illinois- W
Indiana- W
Purdue- W
Wisconsin- W
Ohio St- L
Minnesota- W
Maryland- W
Iowa- W

(Championship Game)Ohio St- W

12-1

Hope your right, but my optimism isn't as high as yours going 12-1 with the youth at Defensive line this year.
Winning the West is what I'm hoping for.

Here are my thoughts:

Fresno St- Win. These guys are sometimes good, but I don't think they're anywhere near the level they would need to be to beat us. If we lose this season opener, our season is going to be a garbage fire.
Wyoming- Win. Same thing, not enough to keep up with us.
Oregon- Complete toss-up. Oregon is rebuilding big time this year, and many people think their mojo left the team with Chip Kelly. However, Oregon is still pretty loaded with talent and plays very fast. If I had to call it, I'd say we lose this one, but I'm giving it 50/50, and a win would be HUGE for our program. Also, recall that Riley had to play Oregon every year he was at Oregon State. I chalk that up as an advantage.
Northwestern- Win. They are rebuilding and honestly I don't think they'll be able to stop our offense.
Illinois- Win. Big win.
Indiana- Win. But this one is probably going to be a crazy shoot-out. The Hoosiers have a terrible defense but they know how to rack up points.
Purdue- Win. Blowout.
Wisconsin- Win. Again, they lost good players, and their DC is gone. I think we finally beat Wisconsin IN Madison this year.
Ohio St- Loss. A big, brutal, beat-down loss. If we lose this by only 2 touchdowns I will count that as a massive success for our defense.
Minnesota- Win.
Maryland- Win. Probably a blowout.
Iowa- Win. We would have won this last year if not for those awful interceptions. I think we're a better team talent-wise, and pretty much always will be.

So that has me putting them at 11-1, but more than likely 10-2, and going to the championship game to get our bells rung by Michigan or tOSU. Granted, I am the eternal optimist, and this team found so, so many creative ways of losing last year that I really shouldn't count on anything, I just think we have the tools to be the best team in the West this year, hands down.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Hope your right, but my optimism isn't as high as yours going 12-1 with the youth at Defensive line this year.
Winning the West is what I'm hoping for.
I think even with the youth on the D-line our team will find ways to win the close games this year. The Ohio St game will be the dress rehearsal for the championship game IMO.

Hy-Vee and Super Saver are reporting massive Kool-Aid shortages.
kool1.jpg

I'm gunna say 8-4. Winner of Black Friday gets sent up to get slaughtered by OSU

Fresno St- W
Wyoming- W
Oregon- W
Northwestern- W
Illinois- W
Indiana- W
Purdue- W
Wisconsin- W
Ohio St- L
Minnesota- W
Maryland- W
Iowa- W

12-1

if we finish with 3-4 losses, or fail to make the CCG and win the conference, etc are you going to be down on Riley and company? as based on your analysis they will have severely underperformed and their job status should definitely be in question

I think 3-4 losses would show great improvement and shows we are on the right track --

you can't predict 12-1 seasons with a conference championship and then run to the defense of the staff and program if they underachieve based on your expert analysis

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
if we finish with 3-4 losses, or fail to make the CCG and win the conference, etc are you going to be down on Riley and company? as based on your analysis they will have severely underperformed and their job status should definitely be in question

I think 3-4 losses would show great improvement and the shows we are on the right track --

you can't predict 12-1 seasons with a conference championship and then run to the defense of the staff and program if they underachieve based on your expert analysis
Hmmm, that is kind of an interesting point.

I think 3-4 losses would show great improvement and shows we are on the right track --

I think Riley performed one of the top coaching performances last year despite the record. We are going to have at least five games this year where we're going to have to play at a high level to win. From what I saw last year I believe we can get the performance we need to succeed in these games. The young D-line will definitely have to grow up fast but I believe with Riley and John coaching them they will perform up to expectations.

Until Riley shows that he's not capable I will support him 100%. And after last year he showed we have a coach who's totally ready to succeed at Nebraska.

Fresno St- W
Wyoming- W
Oregon- W
Northwestern- W
Illinois- W
Indiana- W
Purdue- W
Wisconsin- W
Ohio St- L
Minnesota- W
Maryland- W
Iowa- W

12-1

WHAT?! What kind of shitty fan are you???! A LOSS!!.?!? Why can't people understand that Riley is the greatest coach ever and any other coach on that team last year would have won zero games! I feel it in my bones!!
Shame on you, Blotard.

Until Riley shows that he's not capable I will support him 100%. And after last year he showed we have a coach who's totally ready to succeed at Nebraska.
He wasn't capable against...BYU, Illinois, Purdue, etc etc. at this point I think he can play with 9 guys and murder half his players and you'd call it brilliant and genius.
You can support him 100% and still point out flaws and obvious blunders. Jibs post is spot on...if he doesn't go 12-1 like you think he should, will you be upset at all?

Reactions: Big Red Menace
Thanks for the responses. Sorry I forgot Purdue. Brain fart. I think we win.

Yes, I am going out on a limb with my Wisky pick. But I think they lose to OSU and Michigan but have a good shot at beating MSU. That gives them two sure losses and a probable loss to someone else as all med level teams, like us, stub their toe once. That gives them 3 losses. We will lose, imo, to Wisky and OSU. But my predictions above are what I think SHOULD happen head-to-head against each team. However, most likely we too lose a third game as we too will stub our toe against someone we should beat. Indiana, NW, Iowa, Maryland... who knows? That gives us 3 losses with Wisky winning the West since they beat us. I know they lost a lot of key players. But I think they will be better than people think. I hope I am wrong.

As for Iowa I see them losing to us and Wisky and one other team. Three losses in the B1G for them too. They had a good run last year, have key players back and have another good schedule. So reason says Iowa. Meh. It's Iowa. They will fall back this year.

How do you figure that Wisconsin comes out of that with a 3-way tiebreaker then?

Something tells me that you haven't put as much thought into this as you think you have.

Specifically, what qualities of their football team impresses you heading into this season?

Their OL was horrible last year, they have zero proven RBs on the roster, they're breaking in a new QB (either a senior who wasn't good enough to beat out perennial underachiever Joel Stave, or a freshman), and their WRs are terrible. They also lost their genius DC who was singlehandedly responsible for all of their success last year and most of it under Gary Andersen.

What, objectively, leads you to think that they are capable of winning the West this year?

Frankly, I could see them missing a bowl altogether much easier.

Last edited:
He wasn't capable against...BYU, Illinois, Purdue, etc etc. at this point I think he can play with 9 guys and murder half his players and you'd call it brilliant and genius.
You can support him 100% and still point out flaws and obvious blunders. Jibs post is spot on...if he doesn't go 12-1 like you think he should, will you be upset at all?
This is the funniest post ever! Now, I am assuming he only murders the "toxic" players.

Will this year be a repeat of last year (not in terms of games won/lost)? So many close games. Which is good against our top competition, which is bad when it's against teams we should easily beat.

Not a prediction, but I hope we win 8 or more.

Something tells me that you haven't put as much thought into this as you think you have.
When one disagrees with another why do they feel they can act like a jerk with a comment like this?

With that being said I think we have a great shot at winning every game on our schedule. Even against Ohio St since they've lost so much. I know they have a ton of talent, but I don't follow them close enough to know how great that talent can/will be.

To me, anything less than reaching the BTCG will be a disappointment for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT