ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the season, 90% chance of being wrong.

board members categorizing other board members... so they can make generalizations and classify people into groups..

the human animal never changes, and is why things are the way they are.

if you don't support this, you're a bad fan, or you're just doing this, so you can say, think, or feel that.. geez..

I'm expecting 5 to 7 wins tops, but think it will be on the lower end of that.
Awww someone gets triggered easy. No wander you bounced out of the country

New HC. New coordinators. New Qb. I couldn't even begin to make a prediction on the season but I'm super excited for it to start. Mickey and Bill showed what coaching can do. I'm thinking a full off-season would show even more improvement.

I'm looking for obvious signs like onside kicks when up by 10 in the 2nd half. Pitching the ball to the 4th string TE on the goal line. Making field goals. 2nd half adjustments. Delay of game penalties after a timeout.
Installing completely new systems is my biggest concern. There’s going to be a learning curve that a team without a coaching change doesn’t have to deal with. It’s one of the reasons I question the love Wisconsin is getting from the media.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Fickell is a doofus.
Not sure doofus is the right term, but I think when you have equal talent playing equal talent you need to outcoach the other team. He did not fare well with that at tOSU in his one-year tryout. He had better talent at Cincy than the rest of the conference and was able to out talent the competition. (Like Neon Deion at JSU(?)) If he tries to run the same offense at Wiscy, he will fail like his predecessors... That would make him a doofus.

The entirety of the Big Ten West, except Iowa, will have some sort of new systems to put in.

Minnesota lost their OC and 2 of their co-coordinators
Illinois lost their DC
Northwestern lost their HC
Purdue new staff
Wisconsin new staff
Nebraska new staff

Reactions: king_kong_
The entirety of the Big Ten West, except Iowa, will have some sort of new systems to put in.

Minnesota lost their OC and 2 of their co-coordinators
Illinois lost their DC
Northwestern lost their HC
Purdue new staff
Wisconsin new staff
Nebraska new staff
Tuco, you watch this closer than most. Give us your impression on Year 1, if you feel these schools improved or digressed with the changing of key coaches.

I'm sure we all feel NU has improved, hopefully on both sides of the ball.

How about the rest of these teams?

Anyone else can give their impressions also.

Tuco, you watch this closer than most. Give us your impression on Year 1, if you feel these schools improved or degressed with the changing of key coaches.

I'm sure we all feel NU has improved, hopefully on both sides of the ball.

How about the rest of these teams?

Anyone else can give their impressions also.
Long post - I apologize in advance.

I will be doing a full prediction of all Big Ten teams in the next couple of weeks.

My opinion is that most of the people who predict these things are looking at Nebraska in a couple of ways.

1) They look at Rhule's previous coaching stops and then try to compare his 1st years there with what will happen at Nebraska.
- I believe this to be lazy at best. First of all Temple was moving from the MAC to the Big East then American and didn't have the roster to compete in year 2 in those leagues (year 1 for Rhule). The previous year under Addazio, Temple won 4 games. 1 FCS team, then Army. Then 2 conference games against USF and UCONN who happened to be the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league, along with Temple. Second, Baylor was a dumpster fire when Rhule took over. There were 45 scholarship players on the team when Rhule took over. 1/3 of the 2016 recruiting class asked for a release from NLI and never attended Baylor. There was exactly 1 2017 recruit committed to Baylor when Rhule took over in December 2016. In 2017 season, nearly 30 players started their first collegiate game. Rhule was able to get enough players in that 2017 class and along with transfers was able to get the roster to 85. I want to say something like 25 freshman (true and redshirt) played significant snaps in 2017.
His teams in his first year at those schools were a combination of young, inexperienced or below level talented. I don't think that is the case at Nebraska in 2023.

2) They are looking at how Nebraska performed under Frost, and to a lesser extent Riley, and for some reason, are blaming the results on talent. Sam M. from the OWH is one guy very vocal on the talent level on the roster. I don't believe the talent level on the roster is that bad. Certainly not 3, 4, or 5 win level talent.

3) I believe people in the media, and others that make predictions for a living, are a little gun shy. Many fans fall under this area as well. They looked at the talent and abilities in the past, made 7-9 win predictions, only to be disappointed in another 3, 4, or 5 win season. They don't want to stick their necks out there again, so they low ball win guesses. That way if Nebraska exceeds the prediction, they will some how feel better about the season.

Many of the people picking Wisconsin to do well are doing so for the exact opposite reasons. Fickel has had success at Cincinnati. Wisconsin has been winning 8 games or more for several years. It is all superficial stuff, in my opinion. Phil Longo is an Air Raid guy, but for some reason, people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will either adjust his system to run the ball more, like Wisconsin is known to do. Or that the run game won't skip a beat and will just be better based on Wisconsin having the threat of a passing game. Also that Mike Tressel will continue to blend his defensive scheme with that that Wisconsin has run the past several years. Will they run the 3-3-5 that Tressel ran at Cincinnati or will they run the 3-4, that transformed to a 2-4-5 when in nickel, that Wisconsin has run the past several years? Apparently there is no doubt by the prognosticators that which ever way they go, Wisconsin will have success, based on the predictions published so far.

I believe teams in the west will all struggle with growing pains.

Long post - I apologize in advance.

I will be doing a full prediction of all Big Ten teams in the next couple of weeks.

My opinion is that most of the people who predict these things are looking at Nebraska in a couple of ways.

1) They look at Rhule's previous coaching stops and then try to compare his 1st years there with what will happen at Nebraska.
- I believe this to be lazy at best. First of all Temple was moving from the MAC to the Big East then American and didn't have the roster to compete in year 2 in those leagues (year 1 for Rhule). The previous year under Addazio, Temple won 4 games. 1 FCS team, then Army. Then 2 conference games against USF and UCONN who happened to be the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league, along with Temple. Second, Baylor was a dumpster fire when Rhule took over. There were 45 scholarship players on the team when Rhule took over. 1/3 of the 2016 recruiting class asked for a release from NLI and never attended Baylor. There was exactly 1 2017 recruit committed to Baylor when Rhule took over in December 2016. In 2017 season, nearly 30 players started their first collegiate game. Rhule was able to get enough players in that 2017 class and along with transfers was able to get the roster to 85. I want to say something like 25 freshman (true and redshirt) played significant snaps in 2017.
His teams in his first year at those schools were a combination of young, inexperienced or below level talented. I don't think that is the case at Nebraska in 2023.

2) They are looking at how Nebraska performed under Frost, and to a lesser extent Riley, and for some reason, are blaming the results on talent. Sam M. from the OWH is one guy very vocal on the talent level on the roster. I don't believe the talent level on the roster is that bad. Certainly not 3, 4, or 5 win level talent.

3) I believe people in the media, and others that make predictions for a living, are a little gun shy. Many fans fall under this area as well. They looked at the talent and abilities in the past, made 7-9 win predictions, only to be disappointed in another 3, 4, or 5 win season. They don't want to stick their necks out there again, so they low ball win guesses. That way if Nebraska exceeds the prediction, they will some how feel better about the season.

Many of the people picking Wisconsin to do well are doing so for the exact opposite reasons. Fickel has had success at Cincinnati. Wisconsin has been winning 8 games or more for several years. It is all superficial stuff, in my opinion. Phil Longo is an Air Raid guy, but for some reason, people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will either adjust his system to run the ball more, like Wisconsin is known to do. Or that the run game won't skip a beat and will just be better based on Wisconsin having the threat of a passing game. Also that Mike Tressel will continue to blend his defensive scheme with that that Wisconsin has run the past several years. Will they run the 3-3-5 that Tressel ran at Cincinnati or will they run the 3-4, that transformed to a 2-4-5 when in nickel, that Wisconsin has run the past several years? Apparently there is no doubt by the prognosticators that which ever way they go, Wisconsin will have success, based on the predictions published so far.

I believe teams in the west will all struggle with growing pains.
Thanks. BTW, I don't consider this long.

Your constant childish bickering is tiresome. Ask yourself, do you think you make positive contributions to the board or not?
Probably not. And by no means an insider. I'm here for entertainment and some tidbits of information I may not know or heard. But keep up the crusade of board police. You are doing a bang up job.

600 posts in 20 years. Ask yourself if you make ANY contributions to the board.
Do you feel better in your real life that you hide behind a fake username and give takes on a message board where nobody knows you and that it gives you some sort of joy in life or that you've accomplished something? Your take is just as useless as the next guys

Do you feel better in your real life that you hide behind a fake username and give takes on a message board where nobody knows you and that it gives you some sort of joy in life or that you've accomplished something? Your take is just as useless as the next guys
So I will ask you, if you aren't here to read anonymous takes on a message board WTF are you spending your time on a message board? @Walleye79 has an opinion, @bigREDuglies took it upon himself to respond. He has spent 21 years reading posts on an anonymous message board with little contribution. But wants to criticize people on their contributions to a board. So I followed suit.

At least I have a take and contribute to the message board. If you like you like, if you don't you don't. My anonymous life will continue on just fine.

Thu, Aug 31
@ Minnesota 8:00 PM Win-Last year the Whip handed the game to them when he stopped running the ball. This staff will have an advantage with an unknown offense and defense. A lot of new players on their offense that need to be proven. I think NU by 10+
Just so I got this straight...your unknown offense is an advantage (favors Nebraska), but our unknown offense needs to be proven (favors Nebraska).

Ok then....

So I will ask you, if you aren't here to read anonymous takes on a message board WTF are you spending your time on a message board? @Walleye79 has an opinion, @bigREDuglies took it upon himself to respond. He has spent 21 years reading posts on an anonymous message board with little contribution. But wants to criticize people on their contributions to a board. So I followed suit.

At least I have a take and contribute to the message board. If you like you like, if you don't you don't. My anonymous life will continue on just fine.
I am here mainly for the twitter updates that one fella updates the site with, JaeMakons OT threads and in between those I read the ridiculous takes about sports some may have thinking they hold weight because they have been on this same message board for countless years or have had more post than someone else.. You're asking someone if they make any contribution to this board as if that matters or there is a measuring stick for that...

Just so I got this straight...your unknown offense is an advantage (favors Nebraska), but our unknown offense needs to be proven (favors Nebraska).

Ok then....
But your offense is not unknown, unless Fleck is going away from what he has always done. Your "unknown" is about replacing big contributors from past seasons. I would venture to say that if coaches were to scout your games from the past, they would be able to figure out a game plan. Your team is not going to be able to look at past Nebraska games and have any idea what this offense will look like. So they will be forced to piecemeal the QB from Ga Tech, possible the scheme from Temple, 7 years ago. the defense from Syracuse. Then try and incorporate the athletes Nebraska has compared to Temple or Ga Tech and even Syracuse.

Now you have it straight.

Ok then....
Is it also true that PJ went to movies dressed as Ken with his junk tucked between his legs? All while the rest of the team threw Fleck bucks at him while dancing to I'm a Barbie Girl?

• Haha
I am here mainly for the twitter updates that one fella updates the site with, JaeMakons OT threads and in between those I read the ridiculous takes about sports some may have thinking they hold weight because they have been on this same message board for countless years or have had more post than someone else.. You're asking someone if they make any contribution to this board as if that matters or there is a measuring stick for that...
I am not sure anyone thinks their opinions hold any more weight than others. Well except apparently you. However, since the point of a message board is to post opinions and any sort of info a person may have, I would say that having an opinion and contributing to the board matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK4life
Schedule is filled with winnable games. Last coach figured out how to lose those games. Need Rhule to show he has the formula to win close games. And it really starts with not making it harder than it needs to be. Make fg's. Limit stupid penalties. Get off the field on 3rd and long. Keep your defense on the sideline by sustaining drives and not relying on 60 yard bombs to score. Don't unnecessarily beat up your qb.
We have been the worst team in the league over the last 4 years...our best non-pandemic victory over FOUR years is probably a Minnesota team that fired its defensive coordinator the next week. We lost nearly all of our qb production, nearly all of our WR production, our best dlineman, our best linebacker. The argument that a bad team doesn't lose good players is a fallacy, we won four games against teams trying to beat us, but only because of our few decent players, most of which are gone. It is hard to only win 2 games, but I can't imagine the record changing from last year due to losing production, and Rhule doesn't turn things around immediately. Three wins is fair, sucks to have another lost season at 8 million a year for the head coach. The only hope was a top 5-10 recruiting and transfer class full of studs, and that just isn't Rhule, so it will be a slow improvement.

We have been the worst team in the league over the last 4 years...our best non-pandemic victory over FOUR years is probably a Minnesota team that fired its defensive coordinator the next week. We nearly all of our qb production, nearly all of our WR production, our best dlineman, our best linebacker. The argument that a bad team doesn't lose good players is a fallacy, we won four games against teams trying to beat us, but only because of our few decent players, most of which are gone. It is hard to only win 2 games, but I can't imagine the record changing from last year due to losing production, and Rhule doesn't turn things around immediately. Three wins is fair, sucks to have another lost season at 8 million a year for the head coach.
We ? Take a fling hike ya douche..

We have been the worst team in the league over the last 4 years...our best non-pandemic victory over FOUR years is probably a Minnesota team that fired its defensive coordinator the next week. We lost nearly all of our qb production, nearly all of our WR production, our best dlineman, our best linebacker. The argument that a bad team doesn't lose good players is a fallacy, we won four games against teams trying to beat us, but only because of our few decent players, most of which are gone. It is hard to only win 2 games, but I can't imagine the record changing from last year due to losing production, and Rhule doesn't turn things around immediately. Three wins is fair, sucks to have another lost season at 8 million a year for the head coach. The only hope was a top 5-10 recruiting and transfer class full of studs, and that just isn't Rhule, so it will be a slow improvement.
Our offense wad huck it up to Palmer. We lost Palmer and CT. CT was banged up or hurt most of the season. We added a good center and what was probably our best olineman in 2021 in Nouelli. And we get Betts and IGC back. Our offense will be fine.

I can't even remember who we lost on the dline. Wynn? Would have been to have him but yawn. Not a difference maker.

our best non-pandemic win under our previous coach was 9-7 vs sparty in 2018

Why is Wisky predicted to win the Big Ten West? Is Fickell really that good or do they just have superior talent or both?
Because all of the B1G power is in the East and it starts with MIGHTY MICHIGAN. The East has won every B1G championship game - something like 8 or 9 straight. It's not that hard

The East has won every B1G championship game - something like 8 or 9 straight. It's not that hard
agree with this. B1G is a very soft conference.

it's why the 2nd place Big 12 team led our conference champ wire-to-wire on the national stage in last year's semis.

And I yours
best-friends-step-brother.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT