ADVERTISEMENT

Luke McCaffrey: A Cautionary Tale

The backwards pass from Ervin didn't make Sims look like any kind of WR material at all. He managed to recover fine, but for the catching part of it, it looked more like you took a kid out of the student section and threw the ball to him.
Agree He didnt look like some great athlete which he should have.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
The backwards pass from Ervin didn't make Sims look like any kind of WR material at all. He managed to recover fine, but for the catching part of it, it looked more like you took a kid out of the student section and threw the ball to him.
Like me trying to catch the ball lmao!

Reactions: NikkiSixx
He was a WR in HS until his senior year, when his famous dad took over as HS coach and installed him as QB. We offered him as QB because we had to in order to secure his commitment. At the time, one older brother Christian was a verifiable stud (still is) and another older brother Dylan was QB at Michigan. And landing him enabled Bernie to light up a cigar.

At the time, it was clear that his highest potential was at WR but we were one of the few teams willing to perpetuate his family’s fantasy of him being a QB. At the first hint of a position change, he transferred to Louisville for a week. When he heard position change there and hadn’t yet attended classes, he transferred to Rice. When he heard position change there, his family finally consented.

It would have been nice if Luke had embraced being a WR while here. But that wasn’t going to happen. And that is not really Frost’s fault, other than believing it was a chance worth taking.
This highlights at lease one major issue. Recruiting for the sake of recruiting. Getting the signature by bending to the family's expectations, and not being up front honest and forthcoming. Maybe in arrogance the coaches think, well, I'm smart enough to coach this kid up to play QB well. They bet their careers on such notions. Coach Prime sure did. Sometimes it pays...

Don't know about you, but I have spoke to coaches face to face, and man, they are BRUTALLY honest. Scary so in fact. Every roster spot they fill has their termination written in the fine print. If they wiggle & wag hoping to finagle future prospects or family members of such, bye bye!

However, I read something deeper in our QB woes. Other than (hate to say it) Bill Callahan and Zac Taylor, NU has not been known (even in its hey day, outside of Bob Devaney and Roman Gabriel) for developing high level double threat QBs. If you look back at both Martinezes, Joe Dailey, even back to Eric Crouch and Tommy Frazier, we have had great running QBs who could throw at around a 50% completion rate. Zac Taylor really developed some finesse as a pocket passer who could run a bit, but a smart QB who is again showing his brains with, of all people, Joe Burrow.

Outside of Callahan, which of our coaches is known for developing QBs? Maybe Rhule, but can he recruit guys here on that premise? Didn't do so with Raiola. He banked on Simms, and we need more of this gambled season to see if that works. Even if he fails, he might send a message to future star QBs that he is a coach that stands by his men. Could work. But that's the difference between should/would/could and do. Maybe we're not snakebit, but typecast. I still keep hearing/reading about how NU is a "running school" in CFB, even under Devaney when we all know he ran a Pro set. So did Tom Osborne in the beginning. He is the one who said that passing can lead to 3 outcomes, and 2 were bad. The assumption by the sports analysts/writers then was that Nebraska was too cold and windy to sustain a reliable passing game. If so, how does Washington, Oregon, Ohio State or Penn State do it? Osborne tattooed us with that notion, and we need a coach who can change it. Is it Rhule? Gotta wait-n-see. If he is fooling himself regarding his choice of QB, it's already showing, and won't be long until it becomes the shovel that buries him. In fact, it seems that since TO, NU is that place where HC careers die. Boy, I sure hope THAT is wrong...

Zac Taylor was not a dual threat QB as Callahan was running a WCO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT