ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the season, 90% chance of being wrong.

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
My thoughts on the season according to what Rhule has said about the team are further along than what he inherited at Baylor and Temple. Plus, the team is being challenged in ways they never were with Frost and Riley as far as competition is concerned in everything they do. I have noticed that there are no activities that do not emphasize competition and camaraderie, two things that jumped off the page when things got tough in the past. The Matt drills are a prime example of this. The team is also talking about the dynamics of the camaraderie and how everything is a nonstop competition with Rhule.

I think the offensive line is going to have a breakout season and be a force to be reckoned with. For the past several seasons the offense has been a nightmare with zero vision and zero focus on any type of plan; it has been more sandlot football depending on AM2 and the long ball. Whipple was a flat-out egotistical nightmare and should have been fired with Frost. With a proper game plan, communicating what is expected, and some accountability from the staff, there will be a fire lit on these guys. For once in 5 years, players will be benched for poor performance.

This is probably my age, rose-colored glasses, eternal optimism, and a fresh batch of Kool-aide for the new year, here is my prediction for the season. I think there is some talent on this team that with proper coaching is going to shine.

Thu, Aug 31
@ Minnesota 8:00 PM Win-Last year the Whip handed the game to them when he stopped running the ball. This staff will have an advantage with an unknown offense and defense. A lot of new players on their offense that need to be proven. I think NU by 10+
Sat, Sep 9
@ Colorado 12:00 PM Win. NU will control the clock and the defense will have a great game. Too many new faces for the Buffs to gel in time to be cohesive.
Sat, Sep 16
vs Northern Illinois 7:00 PM Win.
Sat, Sep 23
vs Louisiana Tech Win
Sat, Sep 30
vs (2) Michigan Loss, but a learning game for the team and the staff. It will be closer than the score reflects. Mich by 10+
Fri, Oct 6
@ Illinois 8:00 PM Win This will be a battle in the trenches and the lessons learned the week before will help. Won’t be settled until late in the fourth Q. But they could be too beat up from the previous week and Bielema can coach. Pivotal game
Bye Week Needed after two weeks in a row of a fight in a phone booth.
Sat, Oct 21
vs Northwestern Win- shouldn’t be close, but hey, it always is…
Sat, Oct 28
vs Purdue Should be a Win, new QB and staff but later in the season. The defense should have a good game and cause chaos.
Sat, Nov 4
@ Michigan St. Win There could be a new staff if this team implodes like it has the previous two seasons.
Sat, Nov 11
vs Maryland Toss-up. If Maryland is near what they were last year, could be bad news for the skers… Win
Sat, Nov 18
@ Wisconsin Toss-up- If the offense is what I think it will be and similar to what Cincy’s was with a lot of short passes, I like NU. If it is what Bielema ran while there, could be a long game. The defense might be out of gas on the line and unable to stop the endless thumping of the offensive line. Wiscy
Fri, Nov 24
vs Iowa Win. Iowa sucks!

Best case
5-1 at the break, finish 5-1 10-2
Expected
5-1 at the break, finish 4-2 9-3
Worst
4-2 at the break, finish 3-3 7-5

My thoughts on the season according to what Rhule has said about the team are further along than what he inherited at Baylor and Temple. Plus, the team is being challenged in ways they never were with Frost and Riley as far as competition is concerned in everything they do. I have noticed that there are no activities that do not emphasize competition and camaraderie, two things that jumped off the page when things got tough in the past. The Matt drills are a prime example of this. The team is also talking about the dynamics of the camaraderie and how everything is a nonstop competition with Rhule.

I think the offensive line is going to have a breakout season and be a force to be reckoned with. For the past several seasons the offense has been a nightmare with zero vision and zero focus on any type of plan; it has been more sandlot football depending on AM2 and the long ball. Whipple was a flat-out egotistical nightmare and should have been fired with Frost. With a proper game plan, communicating what is expected, and some accountability from the staff, there will be a fire lit on these guys. For once in 5 years, players will be benched for poor performance.

This is probably my age, rose-colored glasses, eternal optimism, and a fresh batch of Kool-aide for the new year, here is my prediction for the season. I think there is some talent on this team that with proper coaching is going to shine.

Thu, Aug 31
@ Minnesota 8:00 PM Win-Last year the Whip handed the game to them when he stopped running the ball. This staff will have an advantage with an unknown offense and defense. A lot of new players on their offense that need to be proven. I think NU by 10+
Sat, Sep 9
@ Colorado 12:00 PM Win. NU will control the clock and the defense will have a great game. Too many new faces for the Buffs to gel in time to be cohesive.
Sat, Sep 16
Sat, Sep 23
vs Louisiana Tech Win
Sat, Sep 30
vs (2) Michigan Loss, but a learning game for the team and the staff. It will be closer than the score reflects. Mich by 10+
Fri, Oct 6
@ Illinois 8:00 PM Win This will be a battle in the trenches and the lessons learned the week before will help. Won’t be settled until late in the fourth Q. But they could be too beat up from the previous week and Bielema can coach. Pivotal game
Sat, Oct 21
Sat, Oct 28
vs Purdue Should be a Win, new QB and staff but later in the season. The defense should have a good game and cause chaos.
Sat, Nov 4
@ Michigan St. Win There could be a new staff if this team implodes like it has the previous two seasons.
Sat, Nov 11
vs Maryland Toss-up. If Maryland is near what they were last year, could be bad news for the skers… Win
Sat, Nov 18
@ Wisconsin Toss-up- If the offense is what I think it will be and similar to what Cincy’s was with a lot of short passes, I like NU. If it is what Bielema ran while there, could be a long game. The defense might be out of gas on the line and unable to stop the endless thumping of the offensive line. Wiscy
Fri, Nov 24
vs Iowa Win. Iowa sucks!

Best case
Expected
Worst

funny-as-hell-whoa-whoa.gif

That's a copious quantity of Rhule-Aid. Hope you are right but I'm not drinking it.

I’m not buying it, but I sure as shit hope you’re onto something Red. Corch Rhule will most definitely be national COTY if we go 10-2. gbr
These are two dudes that will make predictions of 2 or 3 wins just so that they will feel better if Nebraska wins 6 or 7 games. Then say they are excited for the future because the exceeded their expectations. Then if Nebraska struggles they can say, I told you so.

It is more about being “right” on an anonymous message board (as if that matters) than it is about writing real expectations.

I’m all in on the Kool Aid. I am expecting 7 wins. I am happy with anything 6+.

These are two dudes that will make predictions of 2 or 3 wins just so that they will feel better if Nebraska wins 6 or 7 games. Then say they are excited for the future because the exceeded their expectations. Then if Nebraska struggles they can say, I told you so.

It is more about being “right” on an anonymous message board (as if that matters) than it is about writing real expectations.

I am not making any predictions, wins or losses, and don't have any expectations, so there's that. Would love to see us win between 6 and 10 but won't be surprised if it's less than 6, in which case I would be disappointed.

I am not making any predictions, wins or losses, and don't have any expectations, so there's that. Would love to see us win between 6 and 10 but won't be surprised if it's less than 6, in which case I would be disappointed.
Sorry, you are in the 3rd group of people. Those that say, I aint buying Rhule yet. I make no predictions, but your prediction is wrong. ha ha ha ha

6-6 is best case and I hope I’m wrong, but after the last 20 years you need to cool down for your mental health

Reactions: Tetonia
8-9+ wins if Rhule is left alone to do his job

If less than that, the magnitude of underachievement will be in direct proportion to the amount “help” Trev tries to offer

Holy crap the kool aid crew never stops, but I appreciate the optimism.
We always seem to expect having a new coach hurts an opponent, while Rhule makes us much better.
Granted, Frost and crew were fvktards so there is that. I think 7 wins seems reasonable. Not a strong schedule but I do expect some growing pains in the first year.

This assumes Sims stays healthy. If not, who knows what could happen

Reactions: cornwoman

Thu, Aug 31
Sat, Sep 9
Sat, Sep 16
Sat, Sep 23
vs Louisiana Tech Win
Sat, Sep 30
Fri, Oct 6
Sat, Oct 21
Sat, Oct 28
Sat, Nov 4
Sat, Nov 11
Sat, Nov 18
Fri, Nov 24
vs Iowa Win. Iowa sucks!

Best case
Expected
Worst
5-7 worst. 7-5 best. I’ll go with 6-6.

In his previous stops, Rhule’s teams have tended to struggle a bit in season one while he instilled culture, recruited, and laid the foundation. Then things took off starting in year 2.
He has more to work with in year one here. Nebraska is not the absolute dumpster fire that Temple and Baylor were.
I think 8-4 is a real possibility. But 6-6 would not shock me.

Reactions: BleedRed78
this combo of sims, grant, the texas and transfer receiver might be good..with a bit of fullback

Sorry, you are in the 3rd group of people. Those that say, I aint buying Rhule yet. I make no predictions, but your prediction is wrong. ha ha ha ha
Not in that group either, as I don't have an opinion about any predictions being wrong. OP's predictions might be right or wrong. I hope they are right.

I'm not making any season prediction, but I do think NU does have a good amount of talent, experience, motivation and competition on the depth chart to be a difficult team to beat.

It's still unknown if this team will learn how to win, how to not beat themselves, how they do coming off a loss, how good are both Satterfield and White at making in-game adjustments. Hopefully, the latter will show itself during the first couple games.

I'm really fired up about the season. I'm giving Rhule and the coaches a good year and a half to turn this into something we can all get excited about.

Just as the Georgia's, Bama's, Ohio State's, and Michigan's learned how to win, the Huskers have learned how not to win.
As every coach on this board knows, that's a process, and it doesn't happen overnight.

I like the optimism of the OP. But if Sims gets injured we are f$cked. If two offensive lineman go down we are f$cked. Lose Robinson or polar bear and we are f$cked.
Depth is the Achilles heal of this roster. We need some good fortune in the injury department for a change. Stay healthy and we go 8-4. Have the injury bug hit us and we are 4-8

I like the optimism of the OP. But if Sims gets injured we are f$cked. If two offensive lineman go down we are f$cked. Lose Robinson or polar bear and we are f$cked.
Depth is the Achilles heal of this roster. We need some good fortune in the injury department for a change. Stay healthy and we go 8-4. Have the injury bug hit us and we are 4-8
BS. Chicken littles you are

yeah but. if

Fvck you Tuco. Find my 2 win prediction and post it or shut the fvck up.

• Wow
Reactions: SkerInCo
Minnesota Loss
Colorado Win
NILL Win
La Tech Win
MI Loss
ILL Loss
NW Win
Purdue Loss
MSU Win
Maryland Win
Wisconsin Loss
Iowa Win

I agree with the earlier point on depth. Stay healthy, 7-5 to 9-3. Injuries 5-7 to 4-8. The two most important stretches, first 4 games must be 3-1 at a min and then the NW thru Maryland must be 3-1 at a minimum. GBR

New HC. New coordinators. New Qb. I couldn't even begin to make a prediction on the season but I'm super excited for it to start. Mickey and Bill showed what coaching can do. I'm thinking a full off-season would show even more improvement.

I'm looking for obvious signs like onside kicks when up by 10 in the 2nd half. Pitching the ball to the 4th string TE on the goal line. Making field goals. 2nd half adjustments. Delay of game penalties after a timeout.

New HC. New coordinators. New Qb. I couldn't even begin to make a prediction on the season but I'm super excited for it to start. Mickey and Bill showed what coaching can do. I'm thinking a full off-season would show even more improvement.

I'm looking for obvious signs like onside kicks when up by 10 in the 2nd half. Pitching the ball to the 4th string TE on the goal line. Making field goals. 2nd half adjustments. Delay of game penalties after a timeout.
This

Competent in-game strategy could be the difference between a 3 to 4 win season and 6 to 8 win season.

Our division will probably be terrible again. A decent coach should win 7+ games against an easy schedule. On paper our schedule is pretty easy however maybe some teams on the schedule exceed their expectations, and are formidable.

So many questions to start, but the most important one IMO:

Is Matt Rhule a good coach here?

If so he should win a lot of games

Reactions: king_kong_
Schedule is filled with winnable games. Last coach figured out how to lose those games. Need Rhule to show he has the formula to win close games. And it really starts with not making it harder than it needs to be. Make fg's. Limit stupid penalties. Get off the field on 3rd and long. Keep your defense on the sideline by sustaining drives and not relying on 60 yard bombs to score. Don't unnecessarily beat up your qb.

Why is Wisky predicted to win the Big Ten West? Is Fickell really that good or do they just have superior talent or both?
A little of both plus recency bias and they have who most would probably consider the best overall player in the division. Very easy schedule helps them tremendously as well.

board members categorizing other board members... so they can make generalizations and classify people into groups..

the human animal never changes, and is why things are the way they are.

if you don't support this, you're a bad fan, or you're just doing this, so you can say, think, or feel that.. geez..

I'm expecting 5 to 7 wins tops, but think it will be on the lower end of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT