ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten West

HikingHusker

Walk On
Sep 28, 2021
I am admittedly an overly optimistic person, especially when it comes to Nebraska football, but I feel compelled to share my thoughts amidst all the negativity.

After the first two games, I see a team that has a solid chance to win the Big Ten West. This would most likely require us to run the table after the Michigan game. However, I believe every single one of those games is winnable if the defense continues to build on it's play and the offense cleans up the silly turnovers -- a task many consider daunting at this point. Our biggest challenge will probably be the road game to Wisconsin. If we run the table and assume a Michigan loss, we will be sitting at 7-2 in conference play.

Let's consider a hypothetical: We lose to Michigan but finish the season in the conference at 7-2. What would need to happen for us to win the West?

Minnesota
Loss - Ohio St
Loss - Michigan
Loss - to one of the following: Wisconsin, Iowa, other? This doesn't feel like a Minnesota team that can beat the rest of the west.

Wisconsin
Loss - Ohio St
Loss - Nebraska

Iowa
Loss - Penn St
Loss - Nebraska

I think it is unlikely Purdue or Illinois compete for it this year, but let's be honest, the division is so bad this year the winner could have 3 conference losses.

Again... this is just an optimistic view. I find it far more enjoyable to think about a positive version of the future, rather than a negative one. I honestly do not think our offensive woes are as insurmountable as many posters seem to think. There's still a lot to play for and I hope giving away the Minnesota game doesn't come back to haunt us at the end of the year.

I find it far more enjoyable to think about a positive version of the future, rather than a negative one.

Lauryn Hill Yes GIF

I am admittedly an overly optimistic person, especially when it comes to Nebraska football, but I feel compelled to share my thoughts amidst all the negativity.

After the first two games, I see a team that has a solid chance to win the Big Ten West. This would most likely require us to run the table after the Michigan game. However, I believe every single one of those games is winnable if the defense continues to build on it's play and the offense cleans up the silly turnovers -- a task many consider daunting at this point. Our biggest challenge will probably be the road game to Wisconsin. If we run the table and assume a Michigan loss, we will be sitting at 7-2 in conference play.

Let's consider a hypothetical: We lose to Michigan but finish the season in the conference at 7-2. What would need to happen for us to win the West?

Minnesota
Loss - Ohio St
Loss - Michigan
Loss - to one of the following: Wisconsin, Iowa, other? This doesn't feel like a Minnesota team that can beat the rest of the west.

Wisconsin
Loss - Ohio St
Loss - Nebraska

Iowa
Loss - Penn St
Loss - Nebraska

I think it is unlikely Purdue or Illinois compete for it this year, but let's be honest, the division is so bad this year the winner could have 3 conference losses.

Again... this is just an optimistic view. I find it far more enjoyable to think about a positive version of the future, rather than a negative one. I honestly do not think our offensive woes are as insurmountable as many posters seem to think. There's still a lot to play for and I hope giving away the Minnesota game doesn't come back to haunt us at the end of the year.
If this team can figure out how to hold onto the damn ball, We can win some games. That is a big if. I agree the season isn't over but man we need to get some momentum over the next few weeks. It starts with a win this saturday in a mostly clean game. Not sure if we can do it, but Im hoping for the best.

If this team can figure out how to hold onto the damn ball, We can win some games. That is a big if. I agree the season isn't over but man we need to get some momentum over the next few weeks. It starts with a win this saturday in a mostly clean game. Not sure if we can do it, but Im hoping for the best.
No doubt. Very much looking forward to these next two games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT