ADVERTISEMENT

One stat that says it all for me

GammaxuvirHusker

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 8, 2014
In our loss to Northwestern, our offense faced a 3rd and short situation 9 times. The play-by-play shows that we ran the ball 3 times and passed it the other 6. The three times we ran the ball, we got a first down EACH TIME. When we passed the other SIX times, we only got a first down ONCE. That one stat has fully convinced me that our team is in real trouble. SE made a terrible hire that will haunt us for probably the next 3-4 years, at least.

Many simply point to the 3-5 record to make the claim that Riley was a bad hire. Since our record is a direct reflection of Riley's incompetnece, I agree. But, I feel it is necessary to explain that on its face, the record itself could be forgiven if it was clear that our team was being coached at a competent level. It is clear to me that this is not the case. A competent coaching staff plays to their team's strengths; they don't try to fit a round peg in a square hole (i.e., Billy C in '04).

For those who say you can't judge a coaching staff on their first season, I say BS! Whether it be the first season or the fifth, it makes no difference when one simply looks at how the coaching staff perfoms on a whole (e.g., play calling, clock management, penalties, etc.). I would likely feel differently if we had a rookie headcoach. At least then you could hold out hope that the new coach would learn from his mistakes. In our case, having a headcoach who has 15+ years under his belt doesn't give one much hope for change. The very issues that OSU fans said his teams had at OSU are the same issues that our team has now. That's not going to change, no matter how much we hope it does.

I think a reasonable person could forgive a coach for any one of these issues if they were the only problem, or even if these issues only happened once. Unfortunately for our team, these are not one-time issues. In the 8 games our team has played so far this year, we have seen these issues cost us a win on more than one occasion. As much as I would have liked for Riley to succeed here, it has become abundantly clear that he is not the one who will get us 'over the hump'. The 3rd and short stat from Saturday's game speaks volumes to this.

Well written. Hard to argue with anything that you wrote. Langsdorf has no feel for the flow of the game. More first downs and less missed passes on 3rd down could have had us up by 10-14 points at half.

In the first half, yes we did manage to run pretty decent, but 2nd half, we couldn't eak out even 2 yards. Cross got killed for a 6 yard loss, Armstrong barely get to the line if scrimmage. I don't know if we ran more in the first half if it would of changed things or not but i do know, in the 2nd half there was no running room at all. We were stuck threwing the ball.

Reactions: timnsun and OzzyLvr
In the first half, yes we did manage to run pretty decent, but 2nd half, we couldn't eak out even 2 yards. Cross got killed for a 6 yard loss, Armstrong barely get to the line if scrimmage. I don't know if we ran more in the first half if it would of changed things or not but i do know, in the 2nd half there was no running room at all. We were stuck threwing the ball.

This^^^ Almost seems like the OP didnt even watch the game and just grabbed some stats to throw out a narrative. If he actually watched the game he would knows his post is complete BS, as the 2nd half our O line got manhandled and we couldnt get 2-3 yards on rushes in the 2nd half thus we needed to throw the ball to try and move the sticks.

I think it was in the 3rd quarter we had the ball around mid field with a 2nd and 2 for a first down. We ran a jet sweep that didn't look good and lost a yard or two. I told my buddy, we should just punch it in to get the first down, not get too cute. On 3rd down we attempt a pass play and the ball is batted down. 4th down and a punt. We had 2nd and 2 and we end up punting.

I've seen variations of this record playing over and over again all season. I don't know if incompetency is the right word or if Langs' offensive scheme being pass first results in this kind of thing with Tommy at the helm. I certainly haven't seen us "play to the strengths of our players". I do agree that an experienced coach should have won at least two of the 5 games that we have lost. I truly wish this staff the very best but afraid that you may be right in your assessment. GBR.

I think it was in the 3rd quarter we had the ball around mid field with a 2nd and 2 for a first down. We ran a jet sweep that didn't look good and lost a yard or two. I told my buddy, we should just punch it in to get the first down, not get too cute. On 3rd down we attempt a pass play and the ball is batted down. 4th down and a punt. We had 2nd and 2 and we end up punting.

I've seen variations of this record playing over and over again all season. I don't know if incompetency is the right word or if Langs' offensive scheme being pass first results in this kind of thing with Tommy at the helm. I certainly haven't seen us "play to the strengths of our players". I do agree that an experienced coach should have won at least two of the 5 games that we have lost. I truly wish this staff the very best but afraid that you may be right in your assessment. GBR.

SO you are bitching because we had a 2nd and 2 we TRIED a running play lost a yard then on 3rd and 3 or 4 (and as we were averaging 2.2YPC for the game and our O line was getting manhandled) you want us to run the ball on a 3rd and 3 or 4 when we just lost a yard or two on a run before and had not had any success running the ball for most of the game?

Just trying to figure this out here.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
No, I'm saying I would have called a running play going forward instead of a a jet sweep (and hoping to get around the end). I think if we run the ball twice there we have a better shot at getting the 2 yards necessary for the first down.

Reactions: frankluv
I believe the jet sweep was in hopes it would work because the power runs were getting killed. Even Jano was getting killed. NW line was killing our line. Langs was doing everything he could to soften that defense up.

I believe the jet sweep was in hopes it would work because the power runs were getting killed. Even Jano was getting killed. NW line was killing our line. Langs was doing everything he could to soften that defense up.

This ^^ was my thought as well.

IMO, there is one guy on the Oline who could start or possible even be on the two deep at more than a few other Big Ten teams, and he's a freshman. The last two teams Northwestern played pushed their Dline all over the place. We couldn't even move them. Take out a couple of scrambles and one or two misdirection plays that went for 6 or 7 yards, we were probably under 2 yards per carry. I don't know if these coaches are going to be any better at recruiting and developing linemen than the prior regime, but until there is an upgrade in line play, talk about schemes and play calling are really kind of academic.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
In our loss to Northwestern, our offense faced a 3rd and short situation 9 times. The play-by-play shows that we ran the ball 3 times and passed it the other 6. The three times we ran the ball, we got a first down EACH TIME. When we passed the other SIX times, we only got a first down ONCE. That one stat has fully convinced me that our team is in real trouble. SE made a terrible hire that will haunt us for probably the next 3-4 years, at least.

Many simply point to the 3-5 record to make the claim that Riley was a bad hire. Since our record is a direct reflection of Riley's incompetnece, I agree. But, I feel it is necessary to explain that on its face, the record itself could be forgiven if it was clear that our team was being coached at a competent level. It is clear to me that this is not the case. A competent coaching staff plays to their team's strengths; they don't try to fit a round peg in a square hole (i.e., Billy C in '04).

For those who say you can't judge a coaching staff on their first season, I say BS! Whether it be the first season or the fifth, it makes no difference when one simply looks at how the coaching staff perfoms on a whole (e.g., play calling, clock management, penalties, etc.). I would likely feel differently if we had a rookie headcoach. At least then you could hold out hope that the new coach would learn from his mistakes. In our case, having a headcoach who has 15+ years under his belt doesn't give one much hope for change. The very issues that OSU fans said his teams had at OSU are the same issues that our team has now. That's not going to change, no matter how much we hope it does.

I will add that on least one those third down passes, we were in a excellent situation (score, position) to be thinking of going for it on fourth down.

I think a reasonable person could forgive a coach for any one of these issues if they were the only problem, or even if these issues only happened once. Unfortunately for our team, these are not one-time issues. In the 8 games our team has played so far this year, we have seen these issues cost us a win on more than one occasion. As much as I would have liked for Riley to succeed here, it has become abundantly clear that he is not the one who will get us 'over the hump'. The 3rd and short stat from Saturday's game speaks volumes to this.

I believe from what I've watched that our OL is a much better at power running than trying to run laterally on stretch plays....that challenge is only compounded when the opponent stacks the box as it guarantees there are going to be lanes for penetration.

So to say in general that 'the running game wasn't working in the second half' is a gross simplification.

More accurate would be 'the running plays that Langsdorf was calling wasn't working in the second half".

I truly do not understand when it's 2nd and <4, especially when we're inside their 40 (not going to punt) that we don't just line up and pound it with a lead blocker 3 times in a row. As much as our OL struggles doing other things, I would wager my paycheque that the simple brutish plays would've worked on Saturday.

And that one issue is my single biggest frustration with this staff. It drives me absolutely bonkers as it's ego overriding effectiveness, which to me is absolutely unforgiveable.

Matthew.

Listen... I didn't even read past your first paragraph! Seriously I just don't understand why you people must keep going back to the coaching?

Would I have liked to see more runs on 3rd and short... absolutely! Guess what... That INT for a TD that Northwestern had... the play call was right, and Armstrong just doesn't see the field good enough.

Was this game on Armstrong... Absolutely not! He had his fair share of bone head play, but he also made a few that kept us in it.

The problem is "EXECUTION" that's it... Don't Argue with it, because it is fact! If receivers would have caught the ball when they were supposed to, we wouldn't be talking about a loss today. We could sit here all day and blame people.

Players gotta have a "WANT TO" to win and they just don't. You don't lose 5 close ones like that if you "WANT TO" win.

Groups under performing:
WR - Too Many Drops
OL - #94 made us look like "Iowa school for the Def"
QB - Inconsistent is an understatement
RB - This is one of two things I'd put on the coaches
CB - Getting better, but still need to step up in big moments
Safety - I've love Gerry's intensity, but I also drop my jaw at how he approach some tackles
ST: Coverage and Blocking are not where we want them to be, Stevenson burnt red shirt still drives me crazy... Second thing I put on the coaches

Groups that are on par:
DL: Making some plays, but not taking games over
TE: See some potential, but under utilized
K: Drew Brown is doing very good this year and coming through when needed, BYU game keeps him at "On Par"

Exceeding Expectations:
LB: Do I need to say anything here?
P: Foltz is our MVP

Bottom line is players need to make plays, and they aren't. No intensity, and what I see is boring and lack luster.

I don't know if it is the coaching style of Mike Riley that is causing it, or the Bo Pelini stank that he left on the upper classmen. That is why we need to give Riley a couple more years to find out which one is true.

Other than the Illinois game, I have not been to angry about the play calling. So quit using that as a crutch to why we are losing games... I'm as lost as all of you are on how we can go 0-5 in our close games, but I think that falls more on the players shoulders than the coaches.

Coaches are there to give you the chance to win games, players got to go out there and do it. They aren't and we are 3-5 because of it!

Last edited:
SO you are bitching because we had a 2nd and 2 we TRIED a running play lost a yard then on 3rd and 3 or 4 (and as we were averaging 2.2YPC for the game and our O line was getting manhandled) you want us to run the ball on a 3rd and 3 or 4 when we just lost a yard or two on a run before and had not had any success running the ball for most of the game?

He trying to state that Riley and Langsdork - seem to not understand a power running and game and mismanage the play calling as a whole. So you are struggling and have a 2nd and 2 ok why not run sideways that seems like a good idea right?

Riley had plenty of 1,000 yard rushers while at OSU. He played for Bear Bryant so I am sure he understands the value of a good running game. Sad fact is we have zero talent in our OL. Bo, Barney, and Garrison were asleep at the wheel recruiting OLs. Numbers dont mean we have talent. We will see a top running game once we get the OL and RBs to execute it.

Reactions: timnsun
Riley did run a power oriented offense at on time but in the last 5-6 years went away from that - Langsdorf on the other hand is well known for having no committment to the run and having a crappy running - he simply does not know how and has no feel for a power run offense

That is because our dam o line isn't very good. Maybe with an elite back we may get the yards, but we dont have that now for the first time in a decade. We are left with Langs getting creative to get our first downs.

Just because we got first downs on those 3 plays doesn't mean it wasn't correct to throw on third down. I don't care how many times people tell themselves we were effective running the ball, it still doesn't make it so. I don't have any problem whatsoever with them calling pass plays on third and short, because it was very clear that we struggled mightily running the ball.

Riley had plenty of 1,000 yard rushers while at OSU. He played for Bear Bryant so I am sure he understands the value of a good running game. Sad fact is we have zero talent in our OL. Bo, Barney, and Garrison were asleep at the wheel recruiting OLs. Numbers dont mean we have talent. We will see a top running game once we get the OL and RBs to execute it.

I know the combination of our OLine and our RBs results in a poor running game, but I'm not convinced that we don't have talent on our OLine. I also find it difficult to understand how the RB coach couldn't find a way to help Newby develop his vision and ability to read blocks.

I see us struggle to get to the 2nd level of defenders, which would mean LBs are running free to make tackles. Is that lack of talent, or lack of instruction/development and/or training staff? I haven't rewatched all the games, because frankly I don't want to depress myself all over again.

Just because we got first downs on those 3 plays doesn't mean it wasn't correct to throw on third down. I don't care how many times people tell themselves we were effective running the ball, it still doesn't make it so. I don't have any problem whatsoever with them calling pass plays on third and short, because it was very clear that we struggled mightily running the ball.
Cross and Jano are eight for nine on 3rd/4th down and three yards or less. Everyone else is two for ten in that situation.

Passing on 3rd/4th and short is bad too. We are seven for fifteen.

So...what should Langs do on 3rd and short? Why is he passing or running jet sweeps in those situations? Why do people insist we can't run on third and 3 or less...we make it 89% of the time when we run big backs?

Last edited:
I believe from what I've watched that our OL is a much better at power running than trying to run laterally on stretch plays....that challenge is only compounded when the opponent stacks the box as it guarantees there are going to be lanes for penetration.

So to say in general that 'the running game wasn't working in the second half' is a gross simplification.

More accurate would be 'the running plays that Langsdorf was calling wasn't working in the second half".

I truly do not understand when it's 2nd and <4, especially when we're inside their 40 (not going to punt) that we don't just line up and pound it with a lead blocker 3 times in a row. As much as our OL struggles doing other things, I would wager my paycheque that the simple brutish plays would've worked on Saturday.

And that one issue is my single biggest frustration with this staff. It drives me absolutely bonkers as it's ego overriding effectiveness, which to me is absolutely unforgiveable.

Matthew.

so much this. we did do okay (not great) running straight power.

Cross and Jano are eight for nine on 3rd/4th down and three yards or less. Everyone else is two for ten in that situation.

So...what should Langs do on 3rd and short? Why is he passing or running jet sweeps in those situations? Why do people insist we can't run on third and 3 or less...we make it 89% of the time when we run big backs?

The OC is a guy that appears to want to be an NFL OC so is married to his passing game. As you said if he went strictly by probability, along with mis-direction at times, he would run more on 3rd and short.

Yet when I listen to his PCs it seems a failed run plays bother him the most, like after the Illinois game. So it appears from here that he will shy away from running the football after a few bad running plays rather easily compared to failed pass plays.

Would I have liked to see more runs on 3rd and short... absolutely! Guess what... That INT for a TD that Northwestern had... the play call was right, and Armstrong just doesn't see the field good enough

I think you just made his point. Armstrong doesn't see the field well enough, that is why we need to use the power game.

We were still averaging 2.2 yards/carry during this game, with Cross getting 14 yards on 7 carries and Jano(vicka) getting 4 yards on 2 carries. Our run game on Saturday would indicate that Langsdorf made the right decision passing the ball.

I will add to the original post that on those four (that I counted) third and 2, 3, and 4s, not only did Langsdorf opt to throw he did so on straight drop backs and from a formation that did not give a hint of a running threat, and in each instance no play fake was made.

Conversely, I recall on a 2d and 16 in the midst of those calls Armstrong ran a play action fake. Seriously.

He's coaching like he's in the NFL and he's got a Manning out there.

Armstrong scored the late TD on a roll out, run pass option. On the next play, from the same distance, once again, drop back with no play fake. Surprise, no good on the 2 point conversion.

I will add to the original post that on those four (that I counted) third and 2, 3, and 4s, not only did Langsdorf opt to throw he did so on straight drop backs and from a formation that did not give a hint of a running threat, and in each instance no play fake was made.

Conversely, I recall on a 2d and 16 in the midst of those calls Armstrong ran a play action fake. Seriously.

He's coaching like he's in the NFL and he's got a Manning out there.

Armstrong scored the late TD on a roll out, run pass option. On the next play, from the same distance, once again, drop back with no play fake. Surprise, no good on the 2 point conversion.

MR biggest problem is that we wasted 7 years on Pelini. We don't have another 3-5 years to waste. If MR doesn't pick up recruiting he is out.

If our WRs hang onto the ball we have three first down gains off of 3rd and short.

You're not going to convert every 3rd and short so many times the playcalling is correct, just the team didn't execute.

But no doubt there have been some questionable 3rd and short play calls this season.

I agree, there has been some questionable calls this year. But against NW, they way they handled our oline, what was Langs suppose to do when they were killing our Big backs for 3 to 6 yard losses? I believe he made the correct play calls, only thing he could call, passes.

The OC is a guy that appears to want to be an NFL OC so is married to his passing game. As you said if he went strictly by probability, along with mis-direction at times, he would run more on 3rd and short.

Yet when I listen to his PCs it seems a failed run plays bother him the most, like after the Illinois game. So it appears from here that he will shy away from running the football after a few bad running plays rather easily compared to failed pass plays.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Our wannabe NFL OC is clearly more willing to abandon the run after a negative play than the pass when it's not working. This is not a recipe for success.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Our wannabe NFL OC is clearly more willing to abandon the run after a negative play than the pass when it's not working. This is not a recipe for success.

Our combination of a poor OLine play and poor RBs hasn't given me much confidence in running the ball the entire 2015 season, so I can't blame Langsdorf for passing the ball on 3rd and short. Generally speaking, the most positive part of our team is our receiving corps, despite the drops. We always seem to manage to get someone open, so I have no problem with his play calling, because our OLine was being completely emasculated.

Why is the O line getting smoked? Probably from not getting a break and because they have spent way to much time working on pass blocking in practice. These coaches want to pass first that in itself is a huge problem. Its an even bigger problem when you consider the players they have are not built for it.

Wow, there is so much going here that I'm not sure if you could ever untangle all of this. I'm hearing poor execution, check, poor Oline play, check, dropped passes, check, just plain questionable play calling, check, lack of effort, check, tough defense my NW, check. I think if we catch some of those passes and we call better plays in critical points of the game we win by 14. I understand the whole talent deficiency but just not sure even with the best talent that fixes the lack of tempo that I see much of the time. Coaches and players alike need to take ownership of our woes and get busy figuring out some solutions---and the sooner the better (no pun intended). GBR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT