ADVERTISEMENT

Other than Michigan, Show Me a Loss

Landomatic

Junior
Nov 11, 2022
Zero reason we can't win 8 of our next 9. Yeah, I know it was just NIU, but from everything I've seen, there's not a team left on our schedule (other than Michigan) that we can't beat. Hell, Minn might just be the 3rd best team on our schedule behind Mich and sCUm and we all saw how that went.

Because that's not Rhule's M.O. He literally said if you want wins in year one, he's not your coach. Just stop wishing for impossible prognostications.

He also said this would not be as big of a rebuild as his last two stops because he's not starting in as big of a hole as he was at those places (paraphrasing). The rest of our schedule is shit. If Rhule throws wins away this year for some kind of bigger picture foundation building bullshit, then shame on him. He can do that and still win most of the remaining games on our pathetic schedule.

This reminds me of the optimism generated when in 2021 Nebraska beat the snot out of Northwestern. Many folks on here, including myself, were saying similar things. We thought that maybe we had turned a corner and that there was not a team left on our schedule that we could not beat. The rest is history.

I understand that Rhule is not Frost and that this year it might be different. But we beat a 1-1 NIU in Lincoln at night and it only proved that we are better than a team like NIU in Lincoln at night. We might beat every team on our schedule not named Michigan. We could also lose to every team not named Northwestern or LA Tech.

I love the optimism of the OP and I am not here to criticize it. Good on him for being optimistic and for being a loyal fan. But I am not yet optimistic. Let's see how we do in the coming weeks.

One thing that does bring optimism is that this is the best Nebraska defense since 2009 and it can keep us in every game, including Michigan. But our offense is not very good. And that could really bite us in the ass.

If HH can play well next week and have a competent showing against Michigan, I could see being in every game going forward. However, the Michigan game will be the first time the defense will truly be tested. I hope they don’t get exposed.
Bowling Green was giving mich fits.. they haven’t looked very good against their pillow soft schedule. I think this game is closer than most think.

This reminds me of the optimism generated when in 2021 Nebraska beat the snot out of Northwestern. Many folks on here, including myself, were saying similar things. We thought that maybe we had turned a corner and that there was not a team left on our schedule that we could not beat. The rest is history.

I understand that Rhule is not Frost and that this year it might be different. But we beat a 1-1 NIU in Lincoln at night and it only proved that we are better than a team like NIU in Lincoln at night. We might beat every team on our schedule not named Michigan. We could also lose to every team not named Northwestern or LA Tech.

I love the optimism of the OP and I am not here to criticize it. Good on him for being optimistic and for being a loyal fan. But I am not yet optimistic. Let's see how we do in the coming weeks.

One thing that does bring optimism is that this is the best Nebraska defense since 2009 and it can keep us in every game, including Michigan. But our offense is not very good. And that could really bite us in the ass.
I'd say I'm very cautiously optimistic.

It was NIU is definitely a valid point. This was a team that went 3-9 in a Group of 5 conference last year.

That being said, this team feels like it has the talent to hang with any team we play this year except probably Michigan. But the way this team carried themselves the first two games felt like a few years ago when even when we were up by a score late, their body language looked like they "knew" they were going to lose because that's what Nebraska does now, choke late.

My HOPE is that a solid win like this one, regardless of the opponent, gets the monkey of their back and they feel like they can actually play a complete game.

Really, I guess, all I can do is be hopeful.

I'd say I'm very cautiously optimistic.

It was NIU is definitely a valid point. This was a team that went 3-9 in a Group of 5 conference last year.

That being said, this team feels like it has the talent to hang with any team we play this year except probably Michigan. But the way this team carried themselves the first two games felt like a few years ago when even when we were up by a score late, their body language looked like they "knew" they were going to lose because that's what Nebraska does now, choke late.

My HOPE is that a solid win like this one, regardless of the opponent, gets the monkey of their back and they feel like they can actually play a complete game.

Really, I guess, all I can do is be hopeful.
B1G West & NIU Record vs OOC Power 5 comp:
MN 0-1
NU 0-1
IL 0-1
Iowa 1-0
NW 0-1
PU 1-1
Wisky 0-1

NIU 1-1

NIU was able to do something most couldn’t do in our division and beat an ooc power 5 team.

I still think < or = to 4 wins this year. We are just not very good. We won last night, yeah, I'm happy for the team but the O line and the OC is still a liability. HH will not stay healthy at the rate he takes hits. Sims will continue his journey of breaking turnover records in NCAA history. Prove me wrong but 4 wins is the ceiling for this team.

• Haha
Reactions: SkerInCo
I still think < or = to 4 wins this year. We are just not very good. We won last night, yeah, I'm happy for the team but the O line and the OC is still a liability. HH will not stay healthy at the rate he takes hits. Prove me wrong but 4 wins is the ceiling for this team.

What did the OC do wrong last night? I thought he finally called a good game. What'd I miss?

First, I’d like to point out that out of our next 9 games, 6 of them are at home. Advantage Nebraska. And the road games are Illinois, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.

Can we get 5 more wins? I don’t know that answer. All of these games other than Michigan are complete toss-ups – and we all know how we’ve fared in toss-up games the past 5 years.

So let’s just worry about Louisiana Tech for now, because that’s an absolute must-win.

I think La Tech and Northwestern are wins. The rest of them - who knows?
Michigan, while very good, is not some unbeatable juggernaut. Remember their last trip to Lincoln?

Zero reason we can't win 8 of our next 9. Yeah, I know it was just NIU, but from everything I've seen, there's not a team left on our schedule (other than Michigan) that we can't beat. Hell, Minn might just be the 3rd best team on our schedule behind Mich and sCUm and we all saw how that went.
Nope, because Rhule will start Simms next week if healthy.

Winnable, Winnable, Winnable
They’re all winnable if we win the turnover battles. They’re also all loseable. I was optimistic after the MN game. Now I think this could be a steep uphill climb. We did what we needed to do last night but we are missing some pieces.

Reactions: t7w0c1
LATech, Northwestern and Possibly Purdue are our only favorable games left. 4-8. We’ll lose our last four games.

He also said this would not be as big of a rebuild as his last two stops because he's not starting in as big of a hole as he was at those places (paraphrasing). The rest of our schedule is shit. If Rhule throws wins away this year for some kind of bigger picture foundation building bullshit, then shame on him. He can do that and still win most of the remaining games on our pathetic schedule.
“ some kind of bigger picture foundation building bullshit,”
I’m not sure where this comes from?
I like Rhule a lot. One of the reasons is that he has preached accountability, selflessness, and competition/competitiveness. That, as well as, if you can’t hold onto the ball you can’t play for us.
That’s the foundation building.

If he goes back to Simms, that is counter to everything he’s said. If he does that, I will lose a lot of trust in him.

I hope to God he does what is best for all the other players not named Simms, and sticks with HH.

It's amazing how competent or dare I say good QB play, helps a team complimentary football.

As bad as Illinois looks, that is a night game on the road and they will be formidable. Road game vs tug the pee-p U, will not be a gimme.

That said, even Stevie Wonder can see that Sims should not play anymore meaningful snaps. The lack of a consistent running game still concerns me, but this team could get to 6 wins with HH the rest of the way, also hoping he further develops and we can get Coleman on the field.

I'm also a bit concerned with Alvano. He hasn't looked great and I'm not sure if anyone picked up on one of the first 2 games where they said his range was 47-48 for FG during warmups (pretty sure it was Minn game). We are going to need good kicking come conference time.

🌽

Teams left on the schedule that have a strong DL will pose the biggest challenge to the Huskers exceeding 6 wins IMO. Our OL just continues to have breakdowns all across the line and you know Michigan will take advantage of that no matter how good we feel about the results from NIU and La Tech.

Reactions: arf_man and t7w0c1
gonna take a major upset.
“Major?” None of those wins would be “Major,”
major GIF

They looked better yes. Defense seems to be picking up steam. We are in no position to assume victories over anyone yet. This team still has demons to exercise. Get to 6+ and get to a bowl game this yr. That would be a very solid yr 1 for Rhule and Co. Build on that next yr.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
“Major?” None of those wins would be “Major,”
major GIF
What’s Vegas classify as ‘major’? No clue. I do know that we’ll (or likely will be) be statistical underdogs at every game aside northwestern and LATech… Purdue maybe? We’ll see.

‘We will have four wins barring any upsets’.

• Haha
Reactions: SkerInCo
Bowling Green was giving mich fits.. they haven’t looked very good against their pillow soft schedule. I think this game is closer than most think.
I wonder how much not having JH coaching is hurting them in game. It doesn't matter what QB we have if our OL let's people get to the qb in 1 sec. Hoping a W or 2 can put some life into our OL.

The Big 10 Championship game against Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. Yeah I'm having some major hopium this morning considering we just beat a G5 team. But the west is wide open and as they say "why not us"?

What’s Vegas classify as ‘major’? No clue. I do know that we’ll (or likely will be) be statistical underdogs at every game aside northwestern and LATech… Purdue maybe? We’ll see.

‘We will have four wins barring any upsets’.
I would consider anything above a touchdown underdog winning outright to be "major"

michigan will be the only time all season we're more than 7 point dogs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT