ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of losers on here....

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
If you can't see the difference in our defense that has looked the best it has looked in 10 plus years, I don't know what to tell you. We played against one of the better defenses in the Big ten and could have and should have won that game. The only mistake I saw from the coaching staff was when they didn't call a timeout right before halftime when we were at the one foot line. We dominated that football game and we were definitely the better team and if you can't see that you need to find a different team to root for, that's all!! Rhule and his staff already looked as good or better than any coaches we've had here since Osborne!

I mean, you didn't see the mistake of passing 3 times with a lead in the 4Q and going 3&out? Or trying to close the game out with a RB who the HC has admitted has fumblitis this fall?

I think Rhule and crew will be just fine in the long haul, but there were some pretty piss poor coaching decisions made offensively that a coach of Rhule's stature shouldn't have made

If you can't see the difference in our defense that has looked the best it has looked in 10 plus years, I don't know what to tell you. We played against one of the better defenses in the Big ten and could have and should have won that game. The only mistake I saw from the coaching staff was when they didn't call a timeout right before halftime when we were at the one foot line. We dominated that football game and we were definitely the better team and if you can't see that you need to find a different team to root for, that's all!! Rhule and his staff already looked as good or better than any coaches we've had here since Osborne!
Are you dominating the game when your offense has the ball 3 possessions in the first half and are scoreless?

Every game is its own entity. D might be a mess next week, but they played well enough to get a W last night. Next one might be 35-31.

That game was there for the taking and we made crucial mistakes and unforced errors again and again. Mental and physical.

The book on beating Nebraska still remains the same. Play smart and don’t beat yourself. The team in red and white will eventually make the crucial error or errors to turn the tides in your favor. Until that changes, there is no progress.

This team will struggle to win games as long as jeff sims is the quarterback.

Unfortunately I don't think the two guys behind him are any better.

Reactions: Dylman
It looks like they tried to sneak at the 1 foot line and preserve the TO incase they didn't make it.

Reactions: WHCSC
This team will struggle to win games as long as jeff sims is the quarterback.

Unfortunately I don't think the two guys behind him are any better.
Brings up an intriguing dilemma for next season...play it safe and roll with Sims in his senior year or roll the dice on Danny K and make him a 4 year starter....I don't know enough about the kid to know if he could come in and start right away or not...probably not but you never know

Reactions: BleedRed78
Brings up an intriguing dilemma for next season...play it safe and roll with Sims in his senior year or roll the dice on Danny K and make him a 4 year starter....I don't know enough about the kid to know if he could come in and start right away or not...probably not but you never know

Danny K is struggling at the high school level

Reactions: king_kong_
I’ll say it again:

Great teams work hard and play hard but also work and play SMART (coaches and players). Osborne commented on how hard Rhule and the players have worked. He was very reserved in going any further in his assessment of Rhule which is understandable, how do you know anything until the games are played? Last night I just didn’t see the consistent ‘smart’ that is needed to be a great team—just way way too many blunders (coaching and playing). Very frustrating to say the least. Yes, it was their first game (remember, there is no pre-season to work the bugs out) and it CAN be corrected. The question is WILL it be? Will the blunders become a rarity and smart play calling, coaching, and execution become the norm? Years won’t be needed to answer that question….

The only real fight in Huskerland is on these message boards. The incompetent and/or quitters on the team are getting paid, win or lose. They are ok with losing. Hopefully the entire roster is flipped within another year or two — and we find a competent qb.

Fight on, fellow message board posters!😂

I’ll say it again:

Great teams work hard and play hard but also work and play SMART (coaches and players). Osborne commented on how hard Rhule and the players have worked. He was very reserved in going any further in his assessment of Rhule which is understandable, how do you know anything until the games are played? Last night I just didn’t see the consistent ‘smart’ that is needed to be a great team—just way way too many blunders (coaching and playing). Very frustrating to say the least. Yes, it was their first game (remember, there is no pre-season to work the bugs out) and it CAN be corrected. The question is WILL it be? Will the blunders become a rarity and smart play calling, coaching, and execution become the norm? Years won’t be needed to answer that question….
You already answered that question last night, saying Rhule and Co are toast, recognizing they are worse than Frost was in game 13.

What has changed for you? Or is the answer nothing has changed, Rhule is toast, and you are trying to be slightly more diplomatic today?

The job of a coach is to put his players into the best position to succeed. Rushing into a qb sneak on the road in game 1 when you have a timeout was not it.
10 out of the 11 didn't jump

10 out of the 11 didn't jump

Doesn't change my point. Are guys more likely to jump when they're rushing or not? We call a timeout and that's basically a guaranteed TD there with Sims.

Doesn't change my point. Are guys more likely to jump when they're rushing or not? We call a timeout and that's basically a guaranteed TD there with Sims.
and if they called timeout, did a sneak, didn't make it and the time ran out? Same outcome.
Or they could have false started even after the TO.

The went for 7 with 3 as a contingency plan.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Your point is wrong. From a coaching perspective, that was done right.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
OP misses the mark.

Its not that we didnt see a good defensive effort, improved special teams, or flashes of potential.

Its that despite all that, Nebraska still found a way to lose in our characteristically unfathomably stupid ways, a few of them being completely avoidable. Weve seen good defenses and improvement before.
It is a very deflating feeling and until we learn how to win, the fluff doesnt matter. This team loses in historic ways game after game, and theres no improvement there.

Every game is its own entity. D might be a mess next week, but they played well enough to get a W last night. Next one might be 35-31.

That game was there for the taking and we made crucial mistakes and unforced errors again and again. Mental and physical.

The book on beating Nebraska still remains the same. Play smart and don’t beat yourself. The team in red and white will eventually make the crucial error or errors to turn the tides in your favor. Until that changes, there is no progress.
When the team is still relying on a bunch of guys that played last year and made critical mistakes you can’t expect those to go away quickly. New coaches, same players will result in some of the same mistakes. Thats a given. The question moving forward to me isn’t are we a good football team…we’re not. The question is, do we finally have a guy that will work to address this teams weaknesses so we can improve over the year. I think we finally have an adult in charge with a vision and work ethic to create real change….it’s just not going to be fast enough for many people. Rhule has said many many times, this won’t get built quickly. It will take time. Many just don’t want to listen to that message.

When the team is still relying on a bunch of guys that played last year and made critical mistakes you can’t expect those to go away quickly. New coaches, same players will result in some of the same mistakes. Thats a given. The question moving forward to me isn’t are we a good football team…we’re not. The question is, do we finally have a guy that will work to address this teams weaknesses so we can improve over the year. I think we finally have an adult in charge with a vision and work ethic to create real change….it’s just not going to be fast enough for many people. Rhule has said many many times, this won’t get built quickly. It will take time. Many just don’t want to listen to that message.

Agreed. Hopefully soon he goes to a youth movement on offense. I'll give the current guys a couple more games to make some improvement, but you are correct, Rhule has mentioned a lot it is going to take time to do it his way.

Reactions: huntered
The defense looked like one of Pelini's best. The offense and special teams had almost no mental mistakes. A lot more is right than wrong. Sims is a talented QB but he definitely could use the help of a good running game, and some wide receivers who can get open.

Only first game of the year with a new head coach new starting QB against a veteran Big ten team and we were there and almost had it won I think it's only up from here. Don't let the Riley and Frost years fool you into thinking that this is going to be a team that blows every game cuz it's not

Tim sun you have always been a positive guy, I used to be the same but one winning season in the last 8 years is hard to take. Then the new guy comes in and the first game the script is the same. Heck you could cut and paste the comments from Frost first game loss to CU and apply them to this game. I hope it’s different but I no longer trust it will change
You already answered that question last night, saying Rhule and Co are toast, recognizing they are worse than Frost was in game 13.

What has changed for you? Or is the answer nothing has changed, Rhule is toast, and you are trying to be slightly

Tim sun you have always been a positive guy, I used to be the same but one winning season in the last 8 years is hard to take. Then the new guy comes in and the first game the script is the same. Heck you could cut and paste the comments from Frost first game loss to CU and apply them to this game. I hope it’s different but I no longer trust it will change
I totally accept that people can be frustrated and have every right to be frustrated. Totally understandable.

What I don’t get is when Rocky mtn husker says that yesterdays game showed that Rhule is toast even worse than Frost’s loss in Boulder showed that he was toast.

How does one determine this on the strength of one game?

Be mad, I get it. But the drama on this board can be so overblown… people are tired of the losing and rightfully so.

I’m equally tired of the drama.

I totally accept that people can be frustrated and have every right to be frustrated. Totally understandable.

What I don’t get is when Rocky mtn husker says that yesterdays game showed that Rhule is toast even worse than Frost’s loss in Boulder showed that he was toast.

How does one determine this on the strength of one game?

Be mad, I get it. But the drama on this board can be so overblown… people are tired of the losing and rightfully so.

I’m equally tired of the drama.
I Think what is Nu's greatest strength is also irs greatest weakness. What other program could go through the futility of the last ten years and still fill a stadium. Name one other program with our record in the last 8 years that would have more than just a handful of really diehard fans. With this devotion to a terrible product comes harsh scrutiny how could it not?. I sometimes think NU would be better off if no one gave a crap anymore and the AD and coaches and players could perform with no expectations and no one realizing how bad they are

Reactions: timnsun
You completely disagree? Wow. Did you watch the result. Cause the result proves you wrong completely.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT