ADVERTISEMENT

On a Scale of 1 to 10...How Excited Are You About the Hire?

How excited are you with the hiring of Matt Rhule?

Results are only viewable after voting.
7 or 8. We need a program builder and Rhule fits the bill. Ground rhule double of a hire that hopefully turns into a home run.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
On the other hand Mike Riley won 8 one year. 8 should have been fairly easy this year if we had canned Chin before the season and we had been able to keep Casey healthy.
I hear this all the time, the what "if" game, should of could of. Let's look at reality, Frost never won more than 4 games a year.

As for Chins, he was being hailed by many on here as being the replacement for Frost. Not long after he was canned.

The fact Riley won 8 does say something though. It says that the team Frost inherited wasn't as bad as many thought and it could be done here. Never confuse perception with reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMyMind
I hear this all the time, the what "if" game, should of could of. Let's look at reality, Frost never won more than 4 games a year.

As for China, he was being hailed by many on here as being the replacement for Frost. Not long after he was canned.

The fact Riley won 8 does say something though. It says that the team Frost inherited wasn't as bad as many thought and it could be done here. Never confuse perception with reality.
Riley won 9

I usually enjoy @king_kong_ posts and takes. While you can look at a whole picture and draw conclusions sometimes it is best to look at year by year results.

At Temple his winning pct increased each year. Same at Baylor. Year over year his teams were better.

If a CEO took over a company and increased profits margin from 20% to 80% over 4 years then took over another company and did the same thing, that would dude or girl would be a highly sought after executive. It wouldn’t matter if either of those companies outperformed all other top companies. That is a very simplistic view of what the CEO accomplished.

If Nebraska improves at the rate that Temple and Baylor improved under Rhule and in 3 years is winning 10 games and competing for league titles, I would view this as a success. If he is middling with Purdue and Minnesota not so much.

7 or 8. We need a program builder and Rhule fits the bill. Ground rhule double of a hire that hopefully turns into a home run.
This is a perfect analogy for how I feel about the hire from strictly an “excitement” standpoint

A ground rule double is good, sure, but it’s a hell of a lot more exciting when the ball is in play and the runner might make the turn and dig for 3

only Holtz and Saban won big in college after their failed NFL stints

coaches with college success who failed in the NFL and went back to college and suck (no conf titles) off the top of my head:

greg schiano
mike riley
chip kelly
lane kiffin

kliff kingsbury will follow along soon

Care to compare with college coaches that go from one college to another who also suck (your definition- is not winning a Conf championship)?

As for Chins, he was being hailed by many on here as being the replacement for Frost. Not long after he was canned.

Frost went 5-7 in Year 2.

but rhule's success in the big east will translate better?

because our division (which likely won't last more than 1 more season) is worse?
Comparing Rutgers in the Big East to Rutgers in the BIG for Schiano with Rhule at Temple in the Big East and Nebraska in the BIG is downright stupid...

Reactions: headcard
I think in the years when NU has an Iowa schedule, you will see NU, now, finish in the top 12 and make the playoffs...

In years when NU has OSU, Michigan, USC, stuff like that, I think they will be a solid 9 win team.

I usually enjoy @king_kong_ posts and takes. While you can look at a whole picture and draw conclusions sometimes it is best to look at year by year results.

At Temple his winning pct increased each year. Same at Baylor. Year over year his teams were better.

If a CEO took over a company and increased profits margin from 20% to 80% over 4 years then took over another company and did the same thing, that would dude or girl would be a highly sought after executive. It wouldn’t matter if either of those companies outperformed all other top companies. That is a very simplistic view of what the CEO accomplished.

If Nebraska improves at the rate that Temple and Baylor improved under Rhule and in 3 years is winning 10 games and competing for league titles, I would view this as a success. If he is middling with Purdue and Minnesota not so much.
Pretty sure there are way too many reading too much into what @king_kong_ is saying. I am pretty sure he is only saying what I am.....I rated the hire as a 5 on the excitement scale. Does that mean that I am pissed that he is the hire and won't support him? No way. Of course I will. I am just more thinking it's time for someone to prove it.

Reactions: king_kong_
Comparing Rutgers in the Big East to Rutgers in the BIG for Schiano with Rhule at Temple in the Big East and Nebraska in the BIG is downright stupid...
why? isn't rutgers the state school for a top 10 population state?

some of our best players in history are from NJ, probably mere hours from wherever rutgers is located & rutgers has been to a bowl more recently than we have as a b1g program

why? isn't rutgers the state school for a top 10 population state?

some of our best players in history are from NJ, probably mere hours from wherever rutgers is located & rutgers has been to a bowl more recently than we have as a b1g program

Because Rutgers is a nothing program that GS won at when they were in the Big East and it will be much harder to duplicate that in the BIG. MR took a dumpster fire and won in the Big East, but he is now coaching a blueblood. Thats not comparable.

Because Rutgers is a nothing program that GS won at when they were in the Big East and it will be much harder to duplicate that in the BIG. MR took a dumpster fire and won in the Big East, but he is now coaching a blueblood. Thats not comparable.
what's the difference between winning at a "nothing program" and winning at a "dumpster fire" in the exact same conference (well, not exact same. Big East was 100x better during the bulk of Schiano's tenure before Rhule got there, but I'm sure you factored that in)?

is it easier to duplicate success at one versus the other?

Last edited:
what's the difference between winning at a "nothing program" and winning at a "dumpster fire" in the exact same conference (well, not exact same. Big East was 100x better during the bulk of Schiano's tenure before Rhule got there, but I'm sure you factored that in)?

is it easier to duplicate success at one versus the other?
AYFKM? Your premise is that since GS hasn't duplicated his success that neither will Rhule. Nebraska and Temple are completely different programs, not even in the same stratosphere....

AYFKM? Your premise is that since GS hasn't duplicated his success that neither will Rhule. Nebraska and Temple are completely different programs, not even in the same stratosphere....
you are getting very defensive

I'm only asking a question & trying to find out more about our new coach

your premise is that coaching a blue blood means more success than coaching a nothing program?

because that has been about the exact opposite of reality in many places, Nebraska obviously included

Two months of waiting and we have Matt Rhule? Clowns and uneducated homers will learn the hard way I guess. I promise you Trev will in 4 years. What a homerun hire this is. Hold on to this post. In 3-5 years you can tell your grandkids about what a shitty hire this is. Bet me.

frost was a 10 - anybody who says different is a liar

riley yes in the negatives for me (also a gigantically failed NFL coach who was "a college guy")
I gave Frost a 5 at his hiring. He was average at best as an OC at Oregon, he always folded in the big games. He caught lightening in a bottle at UCF and used the players left by O'leary to run the table with. Every coach since Frost has had great success there. Frost should keep the money and ride into the sunset, he will never succeed at a major program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT