ADVERTISEMENT

On a Scale of 1 to 10...How Excited Are You About the Hire?

How excited are you with the hiring of Matt Rhule?

Results are only viewable after voting.
if you could show me one single example of a coach who won less than 30% of his NFL games to go onto championship-level success in college, I would agree.

everybody here wanted a proven thing (ironically, a rule). instead we are once again relying on being the exception.
Keep grasping at straws

that's more than 30%

and spurrier won 1 division title in his 10.5 years in college following his NFL stint
why the arbitrary 30% cutoff?
There are plenty of coaches that fail in the NFL. It's one big crapshoot and hardly means anything.

why the arbitrary 30% cutoff?
There are plenty of coaches that fail in the NFL. It's one big crapshoot and means hardly a thing.
Rhule won less than 30% in his nfl tenure

would you prefer the cutoff be his actual 27% (rounded up)?

I am trying desperately to help any of these Rhule backers to find just one single instance of a coach doing what they're sure he will do here (win big)

I'm still waiting

if we win big, this Rhule will have to be the exception

Bobby Petrino (3-10) and Urban (2-11) sucked as well
urban has yet to return to coaching, so that's moot

petrino won 1 division title at louisville and 1 conference title in FBS following his NFL tenure (4 schools, 14 years)

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
urban has yet to return to coaching, so that's moot

petrino won 1 division title at louisville and 1 conference title in FBS following his NFL tenure
so urban just became a terrible coach and is unemployable now.
or maybe college coaches rarely do well as NFL coaches

so urban just became a terrible coach and is unemployable now.
or maybe college coaches rarely do well as NFL coaches
urban is a terrible person who is unemployable. what a shame

there are many college coaches who do well in the NFL

there are more college coaches who do not do well in the NFL

there are ZERO college coaches who fail in the NFL and win big at their next stop back in college

Saban won 47% of his games and quit - he did not get fired. if you want to call him a failure and compare Rhule to Saban, knock yourself out

Pete Carroll was barely a .500 coach when he left NE for USC. It’s as if there is no correlation between NFL success and CFB success.
Carroll is a good one

and surely you cannot believe something this stupid

urban is a terrible person who is unemployable. what a shame

there are many college coaches who do well in the NFL

there are more college coaches who do not do well in the NFL

there are ZERO college coaches who fail in the NFL and win big at their next stop back in college

Saban won 47% of his games and quit - he did not get fired. if you want to call him a failure and compare Rhule to Saban, knock yourself out
Saban was a failure in the NFL

it's pretty underwhelming

0-11 vs ranked opponents

couldn't win 30% of his games in the pros (saban went .500 so spare me the comparisons)

guess we have the next 8 years to find out
Do you count the first couple years at dumpsters Temple & Baylor?

2013: Lost #15 UCF & #18 Louisville
2014: No opponent finished ranked
2015: Lost to #8 Notre Dame & #18 Houston
2016: Lost to #5 Penn St.
Beat #25 Navy
2017: Lost to #2 Oklahoma, #15 TCU & #19 Oklahoma St.
2018: Lost to #4 Oklahoma, #15 Texas & #24 Iowa St.
2019: Lost to #4 Oklahoma (twice) & #5 Georgia.
Beat #25 Oklahoma St

Do you count the first couple years at dumpsters Temple & Baylor?

2013: Lost #15 UCF & #18 Louisville
2014: No opponent finished ranked
2015: Lost to #8 Notre Dame & #18 Houston
2016: Lost to #5 Penn St.
Beat #25 Navy
2017: Lost to #2 Oklahoma, #15 TCU & #19 Oklahoma St.
2018: Lost to #4 Oklahoma, #15 Texas & #24 Iowa St.
2019: Lost to #4 Oklahoma (twice) & #5 Georgia.
Beat #25 Oklahoma St
they all count

florida was before the NFL failure - big winner!

south carolina was after (like Rhule here) - not so much!
You are reading waay too much into this. Just let it play out. 8 to 10 games a year and winning the West is very attainable. Going to Indy and maybe winning a few once in a while, winning some bowls is the goal for now. Build off gradual success and start rebuilding the culture.

Carroll is a good one

and surely you cannot believe something this stupid

Where is the correlation? I see a lot of good college coaches that were not successful in the NFL. Failing in the NFL in no way indicates a coach will fail in college. I put much more stock in actually having previous success at the collegiate level.

Reactions: RedMyMind
You are reading waay too much into this. Just let it play out. 8 to 10 games a year and winning the West is very attainable. Going to Indy and maybe winning a few once in a while, winning some bowls is the goal for now. Build off gradual success and start rebuilding the culture.
people don't want facts now?

I'm simply pointing out comparisons (of which there are few)

this is a typical exercise when judging how to gauge expectations moving forward

At freaking South Carolina
ever find it weird that all these former college winners turned spectacularly failed NFL guys get recycled to programs like south carolina, arkansas, louisville, etc., and rarely if ever a blue blood?

yea, me neither

this is a typical exercise when judging how to gauge expectations moving forward
not really. More like sour grapes trying to wet the bed.

High floor, low ceiling in my opinion. Basically I think we just hired Kirk Ferentz.

Worst case, we will be in a position to hire a monster in 5 years with a solid squad.

I'm fine with that after the last 20 years. And if I'm wrong, I think the odds are that I'm wrong to the upside rather than the downside. That's solid but unspectacular which is probably what we needed no matter the bellyaching that we didn't hire Jesus --- or whomever our coaching savior dujour would be in this situation anyway.

You are desperately grasping at straws trying to find some randomly specific criteria, all why stating you wanted a position coach with zero HC experience hired.
comparing coaches with similar backgrounds is desperately grasping at straws?

should I instead just say "wow he almost won something important at Baylor once!" and pencil us in for a B1G title?

Well. It's done. He's our next Head Coach. You can get on board or just bitch and moan for 8 years. I myself will wait and see how it plays out before judging what he has or hasn't done. Results matter to me. GBR!!

I think you have our roles reversed here

the onus is on the accuser, not the defendant

anyone stating he is a home run, sure thing, etc., is doing so with many a caveat in tow for a reason
I’ve never called him a “sure thing” or a home run. He’s the most qualified guy we could get. He looks like a good fit to me and maybe our best option. The fact that Mickey was a 10 for you is all anybody needs to know.😉

Personally I might have gone young and cheap to hire Vigen. You wanted to go old and cheap with Mickey.

comparing coaches with similar backgrounds is desperately grasping at straws?

should I instead just say "wow he almost won something important at Baylor once!" and pencil us in for a B1G title?

Or you could just stop trashing the guy for no reason and stop changing your little narrative every time it’s proven incorrect. All while stating you wanted a position coach with no experience hired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT