ADVERTISEMENT

On a Scale of 1 to 10...How Excited Are You About the Hire?

How excited are you with the hiring of Matt Rhule?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pretty flimsy case there prosecutor.
if you could show me one single example of a coach who won less than 30% of his NFL games to go onto championship-level success in college, I would agree.

everybody here wanted a proven thing (ironically, a rule). instead we are once again relying on being the exception.

***speaking with extreme lisp**

this is interesting, I suppose:

In 1976, the Jets hired a coach with a remarkably similar résumé to Rhule: Lou Holtz. The New York Times described him as “a turnaround coach” because of his success at two historically unsuccessful programs, William & Mary and NC State. But Holtz didn’t seem to grasp that he was no longer working in college. After his first preseason win, he surprised his pros by presenting them with sheet music in the locker room: He’d written them a fight song, called “The New York Jets Go Rolling Along.” Rhule interfered with social media; Holtz wrote songs for his team to sing. Both were college coaches in a pro world.

Holtz wanted his team to sing his stupid little song after every victory—luckily, it wouldn’t come up a lot. Holtz tried to run the same offense he used in college—the twin veer—predicated on quarterback runs, despite the fact that his quarterback was Joe Namath after having surgery on both knees in the 1960s, when players didn’t typically return from this sort of procedure. The Jets went 3-11; Holtz resigned with a game left in the season. He didn’t even last a full season in the NFL, then coached for 30 more years in college, winning a national championship at Notre Dame and getting inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. When asked about his time with the Jets, Holtz was quoted as saying “God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros.”

perhaps we have finally found our very own Lou Holtz?

Another Butthurt Mickey buddy. Not sure who he thought Trev’s “first choice” was. I remember all too well some of Shanle’s screw ups at NU.
100%

Does Shanle really know who Trev's first choice was?

Also, if Ruhle is "settling" then it's a pretty damn good settle.

Reactions: BleedRed78
9 for me. Urban was the only 10. Then a group of great hires like Rhule, Kiffin, Fickel that I would give a 9. The rest would have been a little disappointing. Great job Trev!
Yup. 7 or 8 would have been Leipold and KSU coach. Mickey would have been a 6 just because of the lack of experience. Not sure the people voting 1 to 5 were thinking we were going to get? Nick Saban? Lol.

Yup. 7 or 8 would have been Leipold and KSU coach. Mickey would have been a 6 just because of the lack of experience. Not sure the people voting 1 or 2 were thinking we were going to get? Nick Saban? Lol.
I voted 2

there is not a ton of excitement for me in hiring- at best - a young-ish Lou Holtz

who upon his return to college was still 3 stops away from finding the kind of success we expect at Nebraska

Last edited:
200w.webp

Frost had no where near the resume Rhule does. But he was a 10 and Rhule is a 2? OK.
in terms of excitement for me personally?

yes. of course. obviously. national champ QB, native son, good old days, etc. extremely exciting at the time of his hire.

like I said - rhule's best comp is Lou Holtz. took Lou 2 more jobs (and 10 years) after coming back to college until he won big.

why is that at all exciting?

Mickey would've been a 10 for me, also.

but, hey, we're in a boring league that has its sights set much more on profit than championships. this hire of rhule is pretty blah big ten to me. completely corporate.

I have said many times and truly believe the Nebraska job cannot be prepared for elsewhere. it is wholly unique & that's why every "experienced" coach we hire sucks ass here.

maybe rhule will be different. we will see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT