ADVERTISEMENT

On a Scale of 1 to 10...How Excited Are You About the Hire?

How excited are you with the hiring of Matt Rhule?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well. It's done. He's our next Head Coach. You can get on board or just bitch and moan for 8 years. I myself will wait and see how it plays out before judging what he has or hasn't done. Results matter to me. GBR!!
that's what I stated from the start

I am not excited about rhule or his resume and will wait and see what he puts on the field

lots of people take that as "bitching & moaning" when it is simply a different perspective than their own

Or you could just stop trashing the guy for no reason and stop changing your little narrative every time it’s proven incorrect. All while stating you wanted a position coach with no experience hired.
I am not trashing him

I am saying based on his resume and experience that he could be a young-ish Lou Holtz (best case) and I hope we are not arkansas (holtz's first stop) or minnesota (second stop) but instead notre dame (3rd stop) where he finally won big 10 years after failing miserably in the NFL

ever find it weird that all these former college winners turned spectacularly failed NFL guys get recycled to programs like south carolina, arkansas, louisville, etc., and rarely if ever a blue blood?

yea, me neither
Florida was filled at head coach and Spurrier had burned some bridges there. Personally I think he was very fortunate timing and talent wise at Florida. We’ll see about Rhule. It’s one of the reasons Im not wild about an 8 year deal.

That's fair. Not all coaches fall into the same situation when starting at a new program though.

I think Nebraska is in a much better situation in 2023 than Baylor was in 2017. I expect more from Ruhle for the 2023 than I would if I were a Baylor fan in 2017.
I certainly agree that our conference - and especially our division - is a lot worse than the league Baylor plays in

we got one guy from the south this year and there wasn't a single DB in the B1G who could stick with him

winning here is not the gargantuan task many think it is & if he still has connections in Texas that will help

Bottom line. Fundamentals and Improvement. Players never got better under Frost. Look at Adrian and how much better he is doing at KSU. Frost's teams never improved. After 4 to 5 years nothing changed. He never even would have changed coordinators if Trev hadn't made him. Show improvement. Year after year. No matter how little. Whether its turnovers, tackling, mental errors, penalties, blocking, special teams play, Strength and Conditioning. That will all translate into wins. Fundamentals and improve. Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly!!

So these coaches won National Championships at the collegiate level and failed at some point in the NFL:

Lou Holtz
Urban Meyer
Pete Carroll
Steve Spirrier
Nick Saban

Who are the coaches with college success who failed in the NFL and then went back to college and sucked?

Bottom line. Fundamentals and Improvement. Players never got better under Frost. Look at Adrian and how much better he is doing at KSU. Frost's teams never improved. After 4 to 5 years nothing changed. He never even would have changed coordinators if Trev hadn't made him. Show improvement. Year after year. No matter how little. Whether its turnovers, tackling, mental errors, penalties, special teams play, Strength and Conditioning. That will all translate into wins. Fundamentals and improve. Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly!!
AM at kst this year compared to career here:

yards per attempt down from 8 at NU to 6.9
completion percentage up .6%

rushing avg per carry up a full yard, though

basically - he's the same passer but even more of a dink and dunker at kst. they're more effective running him. probably has something to do with the all-american sharing the backfield.

I certainly agree that our conference - and especially our division - is a lot worse than the league Baylor plays in

we got one guy from the south this year and there wasn't a single DB in the B1G who could stick with him

winning here is not the gargantuan task many think it is & if he still has connections in Texas that will help
Well, not sure what you think "many think" is?

First, I assume "winning" is a bowl game every year or what?

Second, since Bo, there is a record of dismal failure so thinking it will not be easy is justified.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Second, since Bo, there is a record of dismal failure so thinking it will not be easy is justified.
On the other hand Mike Riley won 8 one year. 8 should have been fairly easy this year if we had canned Chin before the season and we had been able to keep Casey healthy.

Reactions: king_kong_
AM at kst this year compared to career here:

yards per attempt down from 8 at NU to 6.9
completion percentage up .6%

rushing avg per carry up a full yard, though

basically - he's the same passer but even more of a dink and dunker at kst. they're more effective running him. probably has something to do with the all-american sharing the backfield.
A good coach knows the players strengths and weaknesses. Tries to put them in the best position to succeed. Adrian beat OU at OU at KSU. At NU? No big wins when many were right there for the taking. Frost had Wandale here and ran him off.

So these coaches won National Championships at the collegiate level and failed at some point in the NFL:

Lou Holtz
Urban Meyer
Pete Carroll
Steve Spirrier
Nick Saban

Who are the coaches with college success who failed in the NFL and then went back to college and sucked?
only Holtz and Saban won big in college after their failed NFL stints

coaches with college success who failed in the NFL and went back to college and suck (no conf titles) off the top of my head:

greg schiano
mike riley
chip kelly
lane kiffin

kliff kingsbury will follow along soon

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
A good coach knows the players strengths and weaknesses. Tries to put them in the best position to succeed. Adrian beat OU at OU at KSU. At NU? No big wins when many were right there for the taking. Frost had Wandale here and ran him off.
I definitely agree kansas st's coaches are better than frost

lol I think I just saw a plastic bag blowing around my lawn that would be a better coach than frost

comparing coaches with similar backgrounds is desperately grasping at straws?

should I instead just say "wow he almost won something important at Baylor once!" and pencil us in for a B1G title?
I think you’re forgetting how truly terrible the B1G west is.. not saying we’ll win the B1G but dominating this half retarded division should be an easy task

I sure as hell hope we're not hiring a guy just to make a bowl game every year

winning is winning

you know - championships

Reactions: Sinomatic
I think you’re forgetting how truly terrible the B1G west is.. not saying we’ll win the B1G but dominating this half retarded division should be an easy task
One concern is if the new OC and DC completely scrap schemes and terminology and start from scratch. That’s a recipe for a slow start.

One concern is if the new OC and DC completely scrap schemes and terminology and start from scratch. That’s a recipe for a slow start.
good thing we scheduled a true B1G non-con slate of nobodies for them to get their feet wet with

I sure as hell hope we're not hiring a guy just to make a bowl game every year

winning is winning

you know - championships
Exactly. Start with winning the West. Then the Big 10. Then who knows? Maybe play for a Natty once in a while. It will not be a quick fix. This team is not good right now. Especially on the lines. This will be a complete overhaul. Good news is the West is shit. Easily winnable every year.

8*

* Initial excitement only. I just don’t know much about him. Initial concern is how long will he stay based on where he’s been?

Appears to develop players well and can turn programs around which is what we need.

I will be very patient with Rhule after the $hit show that was Scott Frost. Unless it is a complete catastrophe in Year 1 (like 0-2 wins only), I will save my judgement until the end of Year 2 to judge if we’re trending upwards or downwards. I’d like to see strong fundamentals fully in place by Year 2 (no stupid false start penalties, good tackling, good line play on both sides of the ball, an Offensive identity with bread and butter plays that will get us the yards we need, and an attacking Defense.

Reactions: BleedRed78

coaches with college success who failed in the NFL and went back to college and suck (no conf titles) off the top of my head:

greg schiano
mike riley
chip kelly
lane kiffin

schiano coached in the Big East
riley had more success after returning to oregon state
kelly is doing well at historically bad UCLA
kiffin is doing better after failing in the NFL
kingsbury never had success in college

greg schiano
mike riley
chip kelly
lane kiffin

What?

All of Lane Kiffin’s college experience was after coaching in the NFL.

Riley was better in college after his NFL stint.

Schiano was better the first time around, but still not great, but that was playing in a much worse conference at the same school.

Chip Kelley had more success before, but is clearly building something at UCLA and didn’t forget how to coach.

Reactions: RedMyMind
schiano coached in the Big East
riley had more success after returning to oregon state
kelly is doing well at historically bad UCLA
kiffin is doing better after failing in the NFL
kingsbury never had success in college
if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Rhule's first turnaround in the Big East?

the point was that schiano had success in the Big East and now is failing in the BIG East.
but rhule's success in the big east will translate better?

because our division (which likely won't last more than 1 more season) is worse?

Bottom line. Fundamentals and Improvement. Players never got better under Frost. Look at Adrian and how much better he is doing at KSU. Frost's teams never improved. After 4 to 5 years nothing changed. He never even would have changed coordinators if Trev hadn't made him. Show improvement. Year after year. No matter how little. Whether its turnovers, tackling, mental errors, penalties, blocking, special teams play, Strength and Conditioning. That will all translate into wins. Fundamentals and improve. Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly!!
Players actually looked like they got better under Mickey. They will under Rhule for sure.

Reactions: HBK4life
but rhule's success in the big east will translate better?

because our division (which likely won't last more than 1 more season) is worse?
He was 28-48 at Rutgers before he left. That isn't success
He was over .300 in the NFL.
He came back and sucked more.

He was 28-48 at Rutgers before he left. That isn't success
He was over .300 in the NFL.
He came back and sucked more.
that's his BE record

overall he was 68-67 (3 games worse than Rhule) before going pro

that's his BE record

overall he was 68-67 (3 games worse than Rhule) before going pro
my mistake
so a .500 (11 seasons) coach goes pro and wins over 30% of his games and comes back and sucks bad.
How can a .500 coach do so much better in the pros than coaches that win college titles?

if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Rhule's first turnaround in the Big East?

Yes and then he did it agin in the Big 12. But hey you’ve decided the guy will fail, just because. I think it was a good hire time will tell. Have fun rooting for him to fail.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Yes and then he did it agin in the Big 12. But hey you’ve decided the guy will fail, just because. I think it was a good hire time will tell. Have fun rooting for him to fail.
no, I haven't

and you will find me saying so exactly nowhere

Fig0_xLXEAAUQJv

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
***speaking with extreme lisp**

this is interesting, I suppose:

In 1976, the Jets hired a coach with a remarkably similar résumé to Rhule: Lou Holtz. The New York Times described him as “a turnaround coach” because of his success at two historically unsuccessful programs, William & Mary and NC State. But Holtz didn’t seem to grasp that he was no longer working in college. After his first preseason win, he surprised his pros by presenting them with sheet music in the locker room: He’d written them a fight song, called “The New York Jets Go Rolling Along.” Rhule interfered with social media; Holtz wrote songs for his team to sing. Both were college coaches in a pro world.

Holtz wanted his team to sing his stupid little song after every victory—luckily, it wouldn’t come up a lot. Holtz tried to run the same offense he used in college—the twin veer—predicated on quarterback runs, despite the fact that his quarterback was Joe Namath after having surgery on both knees in the 1960s, when players didn’t typically return from this sort of procedure. The Jets went 3-11; Holtz resigned with a game left in the season. He didn’t even last a full season in the NFL, then coached for 30 more years in college, winning a national championship at Notre Dame and getting inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. When asked about his time with the Jets, Holtz was quoted as saying “God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros.”

perhaps we have finally found our very own Lou Holtz?
you need a new hobby...piss off brother

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT