ADVERTISEMENT

Haarberg vs. Sims - Who Should Start

If Sims is back to full strength who should start?

• Total voters
I guess we will see how Rhule handles going forward. I think it is going to be similar to what I've stated. Sims is going to get another shot when he is healthy. It either gives us the shot in the arm we need or HH is the #1 no matter what. Time will tell. Either way I hope we continue to win.
take a look at how Rhule has handled this exact scenario in his last 2 college stops and you'll know how he'll handle it going forward.

only way we see sims again is if HH is injured (not just hurt).

it is laugh out loud hilarious that the second we start winning people want style points after what we've witnessed since 2015.

We have several years of data on Sims. We know who he is and might show signs of athletic brillance from time to time……then Frost all over hisself and cost us games. I’m all for giving HH run until he melts down or gets injured. Either could certainly happen, but his potential is an unknown, Sims potential is to continue turning the ball over at an unprecedented clip.

HH has earned the starting spot. I hope we ride with HH the rest of the season. I only want to see Sims in a mop up roll if we actually put ourselves in that position. I saw everything I needed to see out of Sims the first 2 weeks.

Neither QB is going to put it all together and become a well rounded QB, I think a big factor right now is looking at the expectations vs. reality for each one.

Sims was brought in to be The Guy. He has tons of experience, he was the assumed starter from day 1, he was a face of the program, big NIL deals, conference media day, etc. Then whether it was weird luck or jitters or whatever, he played two of the worst games anyone has ever seen before getting hurt.

Haarberg, on the other hand, looked absolutely terrible in the spring game, and I felt pretty certain we would never even see him take a snap at QB in a real game. But then he got his shot and ran with it, literally, with a full head of steam. He's making mistakes and his passing game is ugly but he's scrappy and we're winning. That's a pretty simple reason to want to stick with him.

Maybe Sims has more talent, I guess? I mean he's consistently been a less than 60% passer throughout his career, so there's not a huge difference there. I don't know, for me, the biggest difference is that the ball is bouncing our way with Haarberg so far and he plays with confidence. That's about it. I can't really get onboard with benching the QB who has been 3-1 just because there's a chance that at some point he will have a game that is as bad as the 2 games that the other QB has started... It just doesn't compute in my head. Neither option is much better than the other, I just wanna ride with whoever seems like they can win 3 more games baby.

take a look at how Rhule has handled this exact scenario in his last 2 college stops and you'll know how he'll handle it going forward.

only way we see sims again is if HH is injured (not just hurt).

it is laugh out loud hilarious that the second we start winning people want style points after what we've witnessed since 2015.
I don't want style points I want to win. If HH keeps it up great. He should be the guy, but his last game is not going to beat many teams left on our schedule. Maybe Sat needs to spend more time with him, but he has to start seeing the field better in the passing game. If he can get that to click, I think we are going to be a lot more tough to handle, but right now he is pretty bad in the passing game and it is turn is hurting our run game. I know there are other factors, but our pass game is garbage.

I don't want style points I want to win. If HH keeps it up great. He should be the guy, but his last game is not going to beat many teams left on our schedule. Maybe Sat needs to spend more time with him, but he has to start seeing the field better in the passing game. If he can get that to click, I think we are going to be a lot more tough to handle, but right now he is pretty bad in the passing game and it is turn is hurting our run game. I know there are other factors, but our pass game is garbage.
if you wanted to win, you'd not be calling for Sims, who's 8-18 in his career

Right now, you start Haarberg as he has been winning, but if HH starts to play like Illinois I think it is worth a shot to at least see Sims. If he performs the same way, fine, close the book on him and maybe get him in at TE or something, but I want to see competition at this point try to push these QB's to a different level. I think the entire offense needs it at this point.
@king_kong_

with sims: averaged 274 yards total offense (131st in the country)
with HH: averaged 354.5 yards total offense (89th in the country)

and sims played maybe the worst defense on the schedule in CU

putting the two together and saying HH is "99th in total offense" is not accurate

But you can also say HH's stats are a bit inflated based on the level of competition he's competed against. Sims had personel errors but played the initial two games, the games normally played against lower teared teams to work the bugs out. HH got to start with some of the rust knocked off and aginst the two lower tear teams. His one elite team didn't go so well and the next against Illonois wasn't pretty.

Who's to say Sims is still a hot mess at this point? I'd personally like to see him get some more playing time and see what he can do moving forward.

But you can also say HH's stats are a bit inflated based on the level of competition he's competed against. Sims had personel errors but played the initial two games, the games normally played against lower teared teams to work the bugs out. HH got to start with some of the rust knocked off and aginst the two lower tear teams. His one elite team didn't go so well and the next against Illonois wasn't pretty.

Who's to say Sims is still a hot mess at this point? I'd personally like to see him get some more playing time and see what he can do moving forward.
statistically, the worst defense (by far) we've played was CU's.

you can't say HH's stats were inflated based on competition without also acknowledging that fact.

sims is 8-18 in his career and is a 57% passer with a 43:37 TD:Turnover ratio. he's never been anything but a hot mess.

Well, IF (and that's a big IF right now) Nebraska can get a decent lead on a team, then Sims should be given a chance to come in late in the game in mop up duty and prove he's gotten over the turnovers. But right now (though I certainly wouldn't call him a "great" QB), HH should continue to be the starter. Nebraska desperately needs a better QB for 2024 (maybe Kaelin but I think he's going to be too young and inexperienced). Really need to hit the transfer portal hard to find a decent experienced QB that actually is a good passer.

Reactions: meo1960
Sims' win percentage is 32% after 3 years and 2 games as a starter.

If he plays the last 4 games he's most likely to win 1.32 games. So possibly 2 - probably 1 according to his 3 year record. And his fourth year start was 58.8% comp rate and 1 to 4 TD to INT rate. Sims isn't cold off the bench either. He's been a starter for 3 years at GT, whom the fans and coaches are most likely not missing his results there this year.

This is big boy football. Please take the excuses and soft hearts back to high school.

These are paid players. Welcome to the work force. Lead by production or get out of the way of a guy who will or can. Team first. Sentiments second.

GO BIG RED!!!!

I voted Jack because he was getting shut out and felt bad. HH didn’t have “picks” against IL he had a pick. For those saying it should have been more we can’t say anytime it hits a defender in the hands it’s an interception. At the end of the day if we don’t turn the ball over we have a good chance of winning out. Who has less TO’s?

Yes HH fumbled a snap, but was it a turnover? Saying he’s just as bad with turnovers is inaccurate. Do I think HH is a world beater? Not right now but he’s gritty and a tough runner wit less turnovers.

Between the two of them they are nearly equal statistically with one big difference … TO’s. Ride with HH and if he starts to struggle give Sims a shot. I’m not opposed to a rotation to go with the hot hand but HH should be starting.

I'd play the guy with more talent and upside.

I love the local in-state kid does good angle, but I want to win more games.

Sims gives us the best chance to win more games against run heavy stopping defenses on our schedule.

Wish we didn't have a BYE this week. That was a big win on the road against Fat Bielema. Defense played lights out after a pummeling we took from Michigan. That was a really good win in a short week after getting our asses handed to us.

We can win the rest of 'em. Gonna need some offense at some point though.

I'd play the guy with more talent and upside.

I love the local in-state kid does good angle, but I want to win more games.

Sims gives us the best chance to win more games against run heavy stopping defenses on our schedule.

Wish we didn't have a BYE this week. That was a big win on the road against Fat Bielema. Defense played lights out after a pummeling we took from Michigan. That was a really good win in a short week after getting our asses handed to us.

We can win the rest of 'em. Gonna need some offense at some point though.
Sims career says otherwise. What measurables does Sims have that says he can win more games?

Our D has won all of the games we've won, despite our un-talented offense.

Transfer portal, pay someone with an arm and a brain.

Feels good to win a couple games, but these QB's have and will continue to have a Ceiling. O-Line has a definite Ceiling.

Our D has won all of the games we've won, despite our un-talented offense.

Transfer portal, pay someone with an arm and a brain.

Feels good to win a couple games, but these QB's have and will continue to have a Ceiling. O-Line has a definite Ceiling.
This is the real truth. Thank god our D is good otherwise we'd be really bad.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sims career says otherwise. What measurables does Sims have that says he can win more games?

Sims didn't play well against Minny or Colorado. Both road games against P5 opponents.

He couldn't do the most simplest of tasks in fielding a shotgun snap, and that made everything else much more difficult.

His confidence has to be hovering around zero. We can build his confidence against NW and Purdue.

Hunter is a running QB. He'll be nothing more than that. We tried to run a 2 minute offense and he threw 3 straight passes that should have been picked.

Schedule is easy, but we aren't beating Wisconsin or Iowa with zero threat to throw the football.

Sims didn't play well against Minny or Colorado. Both road games against P5 opponents.

He couldn't do the most simplest of tasks in fielding a shotgun snap, and that made everything else much more difficult.

His confidence has to be hovering around zero. We can build his confidence against NW and Purdue.

Hunter is a running QB. He'll be nothing more than that. We tried to run a 2 minute offense and he threw 3 straight passes that should have been picked.

Schedule is easy, but we aren't beating Wisconsin or Iowa with zero threat to throw the football.
You keep saying Hunter... Are you like legit special or something? Or, as it seems you've been pretty anti-HEINRICH... You're doing it on purpose?

Just seems weird. You've been corrected a couple times from what I've seen, and yet you persist in calling him Hunter...

NW & Purdue are better than Minnesota. Those aren't sacrificial lamb games to build some anti-clutch losers confidence, those are important games to slug it out and overcome with a proven leader in HH so that we may make a bowl game and enter next year with confidence.

Also, Jeff Sims best passing game was barely over 100 yards, so this myth that he's some secret passing threat that Haarberg isn't is pretty stupid.

You keep saying Hunter... Are you like legit special or something? Or, as it seems you've been pretty anti-HEINRICH... You're doing it on purpose?

Just seems weird. You've been corrected a couple times from what I've seen, and yet you persist in calling him Hunter...

Maybe he's trying to get a nickname to catch on?

Heinrich "The Hunter" Haarberg

I don't love it, but I guess it could be worse

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Turned over the ball every 10 plays when he either ran or passed the ball
Yup, he’s a risk for sure, but when the other option has obvious limitations on his ability of advancing the ball through the air, and we are playing a team that requires us to be able to throw the ball to win a game, the choice is clear.

If he can improve on his decision making, with his skills, Sims could be a very effective passer.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
with sims: averaged 274 yards total offense (131st in the country)
with HH: averaged 354.5 yards total offense (89th in the country)

and sims played maybe the worst defense on the schedule in CU

putting the two together and saying HH is "99th in total offense" is not accurate
HH is the better player for us now. But let’s be serious, he is still leading the 89th offense in the country.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
HH is the better player for us now. But let’s be serious, he is still leading the 89th offense in the country.
literally by himself.

not too shabby when you consider the line is awful and rudderless, his lead back can't hit a hole, his top WR is 5'7" and his top TE has had 2 major knee surgeries.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Yup, he’s a risk for sure, but when the other option has obvious limitations on his ability of advancing the ball through the air, and we are playing a team that requires us to be able to throw the ball to win a game, the choice is clear.

If he can improve on his decision making, with his skills, Sims could be a very effective passer.
we're 26 starts and 4 years into his career, but sure he'll improve his decision making this time around and become "a very effective passer"

talk about delusional

would you give a 4x convicted thief the code to your safe and expect him to not steal anything? exact same thing

Sims averages 110 yards passing per game at Nebraska.

Last year, in a weaker conference, Sims averaged 159.28 passing yards per game.

HH averages 157.75 yards passing per game in his first year starting.

This might be a good life lesson for you; when someone repeatedly shows you who they are, you believe them.

Sims is not a passing threat any more than HH is. He's a turnover machine and destroyer of morale.

26 starts and 4 years into his career but sure he'll improve his decision making this time around and become "a very effective passer"

talk about delusional
It’s okay kong, everyone is still cheering for HH. We all want him to be good, even if we are hopeful that other players will improve too.

Does that help you feel better? Take all the time you need to try to process.

Sims averages 110 yards passing per game at Nebraska.

Last year, in a weaker conference, Sims averaged 159.28 passing yards per game.

HH averages 157.75 yards passing per game in his first year.

This might be a good life lesson for you; when someone repeatedly shows you who they are, you believe them.

Sims is not a passing threat any more than HH is. He's a turnover machine and destroyer of morale.
See above

It’s okay kong, everyone is still cheering for HH. We all want him to be good, even if we are hopeful that other players will improve too.

Does that help you feel better? Take all the time you need to try to process.
I feel fantastic knowing we're finally led by a winner while you and the other detractors show yourselves to be clueless.

keep the condescension coming. it's doing wonders for your credibility.

Reactions: thall__

In HH we already have a player that has proven he does not turn the ball over very many times. He has lost only 1 fumble and thrown 2 interceptions in a little over 4 games. Sims in just under 2 games has lost 2 fumbles and thrown 4 interceptions. Hoping Sims changes his spots when he has already shown at Georgia Tech that he is prone to turnovers is asking for something that has never been done by him.

The Huskers are not good enough to overcome turnovers by the player who touches the ball on every offensive play.

No worries, I'd feel dumb if I tried to carry your argument too.
There’s no argument, and I don’t feel dumb because you think HH is more of a threat thru the air with his arm-punt. I don’t care. It is mildly entertaining watching you guys melt down over it.

Reactions: leodisflowers
we're 26 starts and 4 years into his career, but sure he'll improve his decision making this time around and become "a very effective passer"

talk about delusional

would you give a 4x convicted thief the code to your safe and expect him to not steal anything? exact same thing
He’d probably trust arik gilbert to run security for a Vape shot.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT