ADVERTISEMENT

Haarberg vs. Sims - Who Should Start

If Sims is back to full strength who should start?

• Total voters
I feel fantastic knowing we're finally led by a winner while you and the other detractors show yourselves to be clueless.

keep the condescension coming. it's doing wonders for your credibility.
Now you are being critical of someone else being condescending? Holy hell man, a little self-awareness time.

Now you are being critical of someone else being condescending? Holy hell man, a little self-awareness time.
I condescend when someone (you, in this case) is repeatedly offering up nonsensical opinions

you do it as a defense mechanism far after checkmate has been declared

it's sad

I expect your reaction to this interaction will be at least a week's worth of veiled HH "joke" posts aimed indirectly at me in an attempt to save face with your fellow detractors

I condescend when someone (you, in this case) is repeatedly offering up nonsensical opinions

you do it as a defense mechanism far after checkmate has been declared

it's sad

I expect your reaction to this interaction will be at least a week's worth of veiled HH "joke" posts aimed indirectly at me in an attempt to save face with your fellow detractors
Jeebus dude.

NW & Purdue are better than Minnesota. Those aren't sacrificial lamb games to build some anti-clutch losers confidence, those are important games to slug it out and overcome with a proven leader in HH so that we may make a bowl game and enter next year with confidence.

Also, Jeff Sims best passing game was barely over 100 yards, so this myth that he's some secret passing threat that Haarberg isn't is pretty stupid.
I am going to jump into this conversation. Northwestern beat FSC Howard 23-20 last Saturday. They also beat a below average Minnesota game (if HH was playing that game the Huskers would have won) and UTEP. They are not very good. Purdue is not very good this year as well. I watch a good portion of their games every week because my wife went there and she has them on in the other room and I put them on my secondary TV (Sometimes I don't want to, but I do just to appease her. "Why are you not supporting my team"). "IF" the Huskers play well they should win both games. I think playing Iowa at Memorial Stadium and Ferentz being so afraid to let lose the Huskers can win that game too. Michigan State has only beat Richmond and Central Michigan. They lost big to Washington and Maryland then lost in a dismal close game to Iowa. I think the Huskers can win that game too.

I am going to jump into this conversation. Northwestern beat FSC Howard 23-20 last Saturday. They also beat a below average Minnesota game (if HH was playing that game the Huskers would have won) and UTEP. They are not very good. Purdue is not very good this year as well. I watch a good portion of their games every week because my wife went there and she has them on in the other room and I put them on my secondary TV (Sometimes I don't want to, but I do just to appease her. "Why are you not supporting my team"). "IF" the Huskers play well they should win both games. I think playing Iowa at Memorial Stadium and Ferentz being so afraid to let lose the Huskers can win that game too. Michigan State has only beat Richmond and Central Michigan. They lost big to Washington and Maryland then lost in a dismal close game to Iowa. I think the Huskers can win that game too.
If our QB turns the ball over to Purdue 3-4 times, they'll beat the hell out of us.

I see some validity to both sides of this argument. Neither QB is very good. Both would have to improve substantially to be the guy next year and beyond. Hopefully one does or we find someone better. Etc, etc, etc.

Or, is this like one of those deals where I must take one extreme point of view and dig in because it’s the internet?

If our QB turns the ball over to Purdue 3-4 times, they'll beat the hell out of us.
don't be so sure about that

F8AFINVaoAAQNVT

NW & Purdue are better than Minnesota. Those aren't sacrificial lamb games to build some anti-clutch losers confidence, those are important games to slug it out and overcome with a proven leader in HH so that we may make a bowl game and enter next year with confidence.

Also, Jeff Sims best passing game was barely over 100 yards, so this myth that he's some secret passing threat that Haarberg isn't is pretty stupid.
they honestly seem pretty similar to me in their respective talent level.... they're gonna get some yards running against an average D, but are a turnover liability every time they throw the ball, and will not do well against a talented secondary.

Illinois looked and felt about like the MN game, Illinois offense was just a standard deviation worse.

NW and Purdue are better, for sure. Could go any direction, and will determine our season. Could lose both just as easily as winning them, and still leaves us short of a bowl. Think we needed that win @ MN.

We're 3-4 positions short of being a competitive team. Couple talented O-Lineman, ONE power-5 quality QB, and a playmaker @ WR. Will be my X-Mas wish this year, once the AD determines they need to spend some money for our talent. We'll see :)

Reactions: huskerj12
I think you have to go with HH. Fact if the matter is that both play inconsistent enough you could bench either one for a series or two and see what the other has on a given Saturday.

As much as I want to see Sims (the athletic freak that he is), his decision making and ball security has been sus, and that scares me. Haarberg has been more consistent, with some big play ability. I think you have to stick with him. I'd rather have someone who can not lose games vs a few flashes of brilliance, followed by wtf.
I don't want to knock Sims. I'm not about that life, its simply current production and stats. I'll have to trust Rhule and co will make the right decision.
After an ugly Illinois game where HH was Sims-esque, and if Sims is back to full strength, who should start?
Every remaining game is winnable and therefore it will not be easy to test out the QBs. We should have put Sims in Purdy in in the 2nd half against Michigan to test them out knowing that game was long gone. Practice and game time are very different. I would say start Haarberg unless the other two shows something great in practice that puts either over the top.

There’s no argument, and I don’t feel dumb because you think HH is more of a threat thru the air with his arm-punt. I don’t care. It is mildly entertaining watching you guys melt down over it.
Crying about Haarberg's 2 ints in 4 games while demanding to more of "4 ints in 2 games" Sims is a level of retardation rivaled only by your wife's boyfriend in Jeff Sims

I see some validity to both sides of this argument. Neither QB is very good. Both would have to improve substantially to be the guy next year and beyond. Hopefully one does or we find someone better. Etc, etc, etc.

Or, is this like one of those deals where I must take one extreme point of view and dig in because it’s the internet?
Haarberg has won some games but he’s no Jeff Quinn.

Crying about Haarberg's 2 ints in 4 games while demanding to more of "4 ints in 2 games" Sims is a level of retardation rivaled only by your wife's boyfriend in Jeff Sims

Yikes. Who said anything about two interceptions, or demanding Sims? You seem emotionally unstable. Listen, HH not being the starter probably won’t make you any less relevant in the world, so try, really try, to not get so upset.

B1G total offense ranks:

ILL - 7th
MN - 12th

Oops
‘Felt worse’. Our D played lights out. 100%. Just sayin we owe our three wins to our defense, and our defense alone. Our offense so far has scored mostly by accident… (tongue-in-cheek, mostly)

Also stats don’t matter too much at this point. Illinois just put up more offensive stats than MN against their crappy non-conference opponent. We also used to have the #1 run D, prior to Michigan. We’re no longer in the top 10. Opponents matter. Conference play will put the brakes on the Rhule-Aid here, quickly. I’m just glad we’ve gotten three wins.

Last edited:
Sims didn't play well against Minny or Colorado. Both road games against P5 opponents.

He couldn't do the most simplest of tasks in fielding a shotgun snap, and that made everything else much more difficult.

His confidence has to be hovering around zero. We can build his confidence against NW and Purdue.

Hunter is a running QB. He'll be nothing more than that. We tried to run a 2 minute offense and he threw 3 straight passes that should have been picked.

Sc

hedule is easy, but we aren't beating Wisconsin or Iowa with zero threat to throw the football.
So Haarberg has 4 total starts. Sims 2 plus years plus the disaster the first 2 games this year. And Sims has more ability to produce wins? You literally said in your response he couldn't do the most simplisist of handling snaps but he gives us a better opportunity to win? I guess I'm not following your logic.

I'd play the guy with more talent and upside.

I love the local in-state kid does good angle, but I want to win more games.

Sims gives us the best chance to win more games against run heavy stopping defenses on our schedule.

Wish we didn't have a BYE this week. That was a big win on the road against Fat Bielema. Defense played lights out after a pummeling we took from Michigan. That was a really good win in a short week after getting our asses handed to us.

We can win the rest of 'em. Gonna need some offense at some point though.
Sims gives us the best chance to win more games against run heavy stopping defenses on our schedule.
Got any stats to defend this statement because from what I've seen, Sims makes some really bad decisions and this assumes he even gets to the decision making part of the process.

Fielding the snap is the 1st step. And you can't field the snap if you instruct the center to snap the ball into the man in motion. This is so basic, I can't believe he's lasted even 1 season as a starting QB at a D1 program, even Moreso, in the B1G.

Last edited:
No question HH is the starter.

If you go back to Sims, you start Losing.

You better get on board with HH, cause he will get us bowl eligible this year.

Who knows what next years QB room looks like, but those of you that actually want to win, should never want to see Sims in the game again.

If they go back to Sims, and things start falling apart, which will happen, I'm going to hammer the coaching staff and every person who thought this was a good idea. Man, people are fricken stupid.

This is also along my lines of thinking. Maybe Sims provides a spark. With HH this offense is 89th in the country. Based on the defense we are playing, that is ****in terrible. If the spark isn't there, close the book on Sims and try to get to a bowl the Iowa way with Defense and Special Teams.
stop being a moron and stop promoting this Sims crap

What are we even talking about? Zero chance HH isn't the starter next game if he's healthy. Rhule loves him. The guy has started 4 games and this is what development looks like.

Don’t come to the message board then. Sorry you don’t like discussions and debate.
i like how you posted the same thread on reddit and got shit on for it there, too.

you've been crying about HH and begging for Sims to come back a lot on there, weirdly personal for you. stick to Marvel movies & feminism

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
i like how you posted the same thread on reddit and got shit on for it there, too.

you've been crying about HH and begging for Sims to come back a lot on there, weirdly personal for you. stick to Marvel movies & feminism
I’m not on Reddit dumb****. Believe it or not this is actually a discussion with NE football right now hence the post. Good try hero

Well, IF (and that's a big IF right now) Nebraska can get a decent lead on a team, then Sims should be given a chance to come in late in the game in mop up duty and prove he's gotten over the turnovers. But right now (though I certainly wouldn't call him a "great" QB), HH should continue to be the starter. Nebraska desperately needs a better QB for 2024 (maybe Kaelin but I think he's going to be too young and inexperienced). Really need to hit the transfer portal hard to find a decent experienced QB that actually is a good passer.

I agree. I'd hate to get to the point we need Sims and he hasn't played. Him or Chubba.

sweet of you to keep sticking up for your boyfriend
No, you told me to go to reddit if I was going to use certain language, and then you posted something from reddit. You must spend a lot of time there to know the language they use and to be copying posts from there. You are too dumb to realize how big of a dipshit you are. On a range 1 to 10 for white trash, 1 being Joe Dirt and 10 being Cletus, I'd put you at about a 9.

Joe Dirt 2 GIF

OR

Episode 14 Truck GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:
No, you told me to go to reddit if I was going to use certain language, and then you posted something from reddit. You must spend a lot of time there to know the language they use and to be copying posts from there. You are too dumb to realize how big of a dipshit you are. On a range 1 to 10 for white trash, 1 being Joe Dirt and 10 being Cletus, I'd put you at about a 9.

Joe Dirt 2 GIF

OR

Episode 14 Truck GIF by The Simpsons
tl;dr. control your emotions

Don’t come to the message board then. Sorry you don’t like discussions and debate.
happy to debate and discuss things that make sense.. I'm really surprised you would even entertain this idea, let alone push it.. the last thing we need is Sims. It really irks me that you basically want to derail what is happening.

happy to debate and discuss things that make sense.. I'm really surprised you would even entertain this idea, let alone push it.. the last thing we need is Sims. It really irks me that you basically want to derail what is happening.
It’s all over NE sports radio right now. It’s a message board. Get over it. Sheesh

in our last 4 games (3-1), our defense has been outscored 77-0.

that alone is good for 0-4.

we needed the Haarberg-led offense to win.

Hahaha, well that's not exactly how things work. But I know you know that.

I get your point though. This whole narrative that we have some kind of all world defense is a little overblown. We have played a total of 2 teams with a winning record to this point and our defense has given up 81 points between the two of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT