ADVERTISEMENT

How will Husker Nation react when Sims starts?

rushmorehusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Nov 1, 2009
Judging by the presser today.. Sims is going to start if he can run. That’s what I took out of it. Will be UGLY in Lincoln if he even screws up a little... and many fans want HH to start with. I sensed from teammates that they love HH and playing with him. Rhule has his work cut out for him for sure..

Kong...
tenor.gif

Hopefully they’ll cheer for him and encourage him to do well. Maybe save the bitching for anonymous posts on social media.

But it prompted some other questions for me:

What happens if Sims starts and does well?

What happens if HH gets a few series after Sims and the offense struggles?

What happens if HH starts and the offense struggles, and Sims comes in and does well?

What happens if both guys struggle or both guys do well?

There is a best case scenario here. It’s a scenario where both QBs get better as the season progresses. Hopefully we’re not so enamored with HH that we anxiously await chances to disparage Sims.

Hopefully they’ll cheer for him and encourage him to do well. Maybe save the bitching for anonymous posts on social media.

But it prompted some other questions for me:

What happens if Sims starts and does well?

What happens if HH gets a few series after Sims and the offense struggles?

What happens if HH starts and the offense struggles, and Sims comes in and does well?

What happens if both guys struggle or both guys do well?

There is a best case scenario here. It’s a scenario where both QBs get better as the season progresses. Hopefully we’re not so enamored with HH that we anxiously await chances to disparage Sims.
We're gonna need both down to top rbs. Wild cob formation! Could be a run, could be a pass, who's passing? Keep the defense on it's toes!

I will be very happy he gets a start versus a lesser opponent and at home. The last thing I wanted was him to be banged up still, miss this game, and then we think about throwing him back out there against Michigan.

Sims gives the offense a much higher upside imo. Hoping he comes out and looks great, but would have no problem if we move back to HH if he plays sloppy again. Need this resolved before Michigan.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and cavalot
If Sims starts I'll have no choice but to assume Sims has some pretty damning photos of Rhule from an orgey back in college or wearing a blackface at a party recently or he bailed him out of jail and the media doesn't know about it yet. It sure won't be because Sims is a better QB.

If he starts I will cheer him on. I hope everyone else will too. If there are any boo birds when he trots out I hope they choke on their Runza
Yup. Unless Sims shows he's a turnover machine against even lesser competition and doesn't get pulled for HH.

Then the boo birds can have at it. I'd join them if I were there and that ended up being the case. And I'm a Rhule "nut" by definition according to some posters here...

With high hopes and prayers.

Editing to add it will be interesting to

1. see how he responds

2. see how he plays vs similar competition to what HH had. (assuming the competition is around the same level. cant say i know for sure).

Reactions: BleedRed78
Judging by the presser today.. Sims is going to start if he can run. That’s what I took out of it. Will be UGLY in Lincoln if he even screws up a little... and many fans want HH to start with. I sensed from teammates that they love HH and playing with him. Rhule has his work cut out for him for sure..
My guess is that Sims has a small window to succeed. If he continues throwing and fumbling, he’s gonna sit for good. Rhule is keeping his confidence up, that’s all.

I will be very happy he gets a start versus a lesser opponent and at home. The last thing I wanted was him to be banged up still, miss this game, and then we think about throwing him back out there against Michigan.

Sims gives the offense a much higher upside imo. Hoping he comes out and looks great, but would have no problem if we move back to HH if he plays sloppy again. Need this resolved before Michigan.
we're 1-2 and going nowhere fast this year

quarterback controversies are fun!

If Sims starts I'll have no choice but to assume Sims has some pretty damning photos of Rhule from an orgey back in college or wearing a blackface at a party recently or he bailed him out of jail and the media doesn't know about it yet. It sure won't be because Sims is a better QB.
the staff obviously promised him the job

they need to save face

free agents talk

Looking at the recent Nebraska history, both qbs will be needed.

Sims is also not as bad as he’s looked(though his ceiling isn’t that high imo).

I also don’t think Haarberg is really known yet.

Make it a legitimate competition in a game we should win and get ready for Michigan with the best guy. I think both play significant roles this Saturday.

Reactions: huntered
Sims probably starts and plays pretty well, because LA Tech's defense is terrible. Also probably makes some mind numbing decisions, because that's who he is.

Reactions: Wasker77
If Sims starts he better lay it all out there because thats what our Nebraska kid did last saturday. Thats the way to play and to win over the crowd. I didn't know it at the time but I now appreciate guys like Tommy Armstrong who played like every snap was his last.

There is a reason he was given the nickname YOLO Bomb, he earned it.

Reactions: HawksDown
Satt made it pretty clear they are both going to play a lot. He also made it sound like they may even be out there on the field at the same time sometimes.

I think Sims days are numbered whether they trot him out there first on Saturday or not.

Last edited:
we're 1-2 and going nowhere fast this year

quarterback controversies are fun!

I'd like to think we have a lot to play for still and the defense has a lot to do with that. If we can avoid having as anemic of an offense as we did in 2009, 7-9 wins is not a fantasy. A lot will depend on developing a passing game to keep defenses honest. No matter who ends up being the QB.

We probably need both QB's. Word from GT fans is Sims can have a monster game where he looks fantastic, but then isn't consistent at all with his performance in other games. Maybe you we get lucky and he has a monster performance against a Michigan or other foe this year, helping get us bowl eligible.

I can see them start Sims and pull him if he starts turning the ball over, or HH to start and they slide him into the game maybe in the second half for a series if we have a good margin of points.

It will be interesting to see how Rhule deals with this..

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Yup. Unless Sims shows he's a turnover machine against even lesser competition and doesn't get pulled for HH.

Then the boo birds can have at it. I'd join them if I were there and that ended up being the case. And I'm a Rhule "nut" by definition according to some posters here...
No need to Boo the players.

Couple things here.

1. It’s LA Tech. Their defense is bad. We won’t find out a ton about either QB. As I’ve said about Sims, his numbers through 2 games are far worse than his total body of work that he had at G-Tech. That will revert to the mean at some point which means he’ll have some pretty good games here (unless Satterfield’s offense really is just an atrocious fit for him, which could easily be the case) but that’s how his career went prior. Great games and bad games.

2. Look at the other “free agents” that were brought in and the lack of loyalty to them on the other side of the ball. Corey Collier, Chief Borders, MJ Sherman were all listed as big playing time guys before the opener and all have been unseated rather quickly/rotated often by dudes that have been here, with great success. There’s something about Sims with Sat or Rhule that keeps his name in their mouths.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT