ADVERTISEMENT

Big decision - Haarberg or Sims vs NIU?

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
To me, the decision is obvious. A change must be made. We have three years of film on Sims and there is no improvement in 2 games this year. He's not the future of the program. He's gone after this year.

So with that being said, let's see what we got with Haarberg. And if you're going to make a change, THIS is the week to do it. Let him grow against NIU and LA Tech.

If they say he's not ready my answer would be, "and Sims is?". The 49ers had Purdy on the bench because "he wasn't ready" but when they were forced to start him they discovered he actually was. Sometimes you unexpectedly strike gold.

This is NOT an endorsement on Haarberg. This is me advocating this is the best time to see what he has.

To me, the decision is obvious. A change must be made. We have three years of film on Sims and there is no improvement in 2 games this year. He's not the future of the program. He's gone after this year.

So with that being said, let's see what we got with Haarberg. And if you're going to make a change, THIS is the week to do it. Let him grow against NIU and LA Tech.

If they say he's not ready my answer would be, "and Sims is?". The 49ers had Purdy on the bench because "he wasn't ready" but when they were forced to start him they discovered he actually was. Sometimes you unexpectedly strike gold.

This is NOT an endorsement on Haarberg. This is me advocating this is the best time to see what he has.
Sims gives the best chance to win. If Haarberg was he would be starting.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
If I’m Rhule , I’m putting the spot up for grabs in practice this week. Whoever grades out best gets the start but with the acknowledgment both QBs will play this next game. It’s not giving up on Sims to try Harberg. Sims may need to sit and take some pressure off himself because he’s got some serious nerves issue. Harberg looked like he wanted to be in the fight today , I’d roll with him next 2 games.

So Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, etc didn't give their teams the best chance to win? Kind of a weird take but ok.

In the real world, we see coaches misevaluate players all the time and start the player they think is better but once the backup their chance to play, the original starter doesn't get their job back.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Didn't Sims suffer a high ankle sprain during the game? His turnovers and injury should be enough to sit him next week. The last thing we need is a hobbled turnover machine.
I think his pride was hurt more than his ankle. That second half he looked like a guy who didn’t want to be there.

Reactions: Wasker77
If Rhule said they didn’t even consider making a QB change after that 4 TO, low IQ crap show then we aren’t going to see it this week. Rhule is going to be hoping and praying a “lighter” opponent gives Sims some confidence.

This is honestly the worst take ever … how can you say the single reason we have lost our first two games is “our best chance to win”. Make it make sense.

I hope memorial Stadium erupts with boos if Sims trots out there in the first series. Let's give HH a clean slate after kickoff and see what happens. We.know with Sims
I don’t want to hear any booing of Sims in Memorial Stadium. We are above that. But it is clear he’s in over his head. Time to give another person a shot at QB.

It's going to be Sims as long as he's not injured to the point of being unavailable. Rhule said they didn't even think of making a QB change before the injury, so that tells me for whatever reason our wagon is hitched to Sims.

If Sims gives us the best chance to win he hasn't won. Almost 30 starts in game action. If we're going to lose let's just lose with a guy who may develop. I agreed with you until the end of the half today. The 7 turnovers in just over 7 quartes of action should be enough to have to consider other options. Good chance he would have had another 1 or 2 had he been allowed to finish the game according to the stats we have to work with. Who you have been is a great indicator of who you are.

Just imagine what we’d look like if Haarberg had been starting since ‘21 like I said he should (and was unanimously mocked for)

Maybe @Baxter48 is right - hire me to run this program!

Star Trek Reaction GIF

I don’t want to hear any booing of Sims in Memorial Stadium. We are above that. But it is clear he’s in over his head. Time to give another person a shot at QB.
If they trot Sims out at home, and he looks incompetent again, I think you'll hear moans at first.

It'll escalate to boos eventually, but they'll be directed at the coaching decision to keep a struggling player in the game, not so much Sims directly.

It feels like deja vu all over again. Sadly.

Based on the 2 back up qb are back up qbs to Simms. If they were better, they would be starting.
remind me - did Tom Brady start over Drew Bledsoe when he got to New England?

this stuff happens all the time, including at Nebraska

Reactions: Bigred_b1624

I appreciate the points you are trying to make but you need to use better examples. Haarberg is not Brady and this isn't the NFL. Perhaps a better comparison would be Ganz over Keller.

I want to see more of our Purdy as well. He was a 4 star throwing QB in high school. Passing is about reps and building trust with receivers. I'm already feeling done with Sims.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
I appreciate the points you are trying to make but you need to use better examples. Haarberg is not Brady and this isn't the NFL. Perhaps a better comparison would be Ganz over Keller.
hence the 2nd sentence

and it happens at other positions all the time, including at Nebraska

aren't you the guy who advised against using any examples because it's all people focus on, losing the point in the process?

perhaps I should've listened

Agreed. Hell have had examples here. Ganz taking over, Crouch taking over Newcomb. HH should be given a shot. He may be a gamer, but at this point in the season you need to take that shot because NU gets to be a pretty good team in a hurry if HH works out.

I want to see more of our Purdy as well. He was a 4 star throwing QB in high school. Passing is about reps and building trust with receivers. I'm already feeling done with Sims.
purdy at NU - 6 games, 22 for 48 passing (45.8%), 147 yards, 3.1 yards/attempt, 0.3 air yards/attempt (cannot stress enough how atrocious this stat is), 0 TD, 3 INT

we do not need to see any more of purdy. he is who he is, and who he is is god awful. and those stats were accumulated with the most prolific WR in NU history on the field with him. he is a nervous chicken. the lights are far too bright for him.

enough. it's Haarberg or Sims. the end.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Agreed. Hell have had examples here. Ganz taking over, Crouch taking over Newcomb. HH should be given a shot. He may be a gamer, but at this point in the season you need to take that shot because NU gets to be a pretty good team in a hurry if HH works out.
I'd love to see HH get the nod and prove serviceable - which of course would give us a chance to actually maybe win 6. And Sims can be backup should HH go down to injury. Scary still with his turnovers, but his athleticism makes for a good backup. Starter? Hell no, we're over it.

That's assuming Sims doesn't b1tch out on the team after said adjustment (if Rhule has the cajones to even make that call).

At this point I'd even give Tommi Hill a shot at playing QB...

Yep, we have to know what we have in him.

Minimum qualification for the starting job is protecting the ball. I think they need to start Haarberg for no other reason than sending a message to Sims that turnovers are fatal. The running backs need to get that message as well. Drops by receivers also get that treatment, as those are potential turnovers as well.

If Haarberg can't get it done, then Sims needs to replace him. But it should be clear to Haarberg that it is his job to lose. If he continues to move the chains and protect the ball, he remains the starter.

Tell me...what would we look like had this been true?
we're 7-19 in the 2 years and 2 games since I initially called for Haarberg to start in May of 2021, with the worst turnover ratio in the country

with 4 different 3rd/4th year quarterbacks at the helm (AM, CT, purdy, Sims)

there is a 0% chance we'd be worse if HH had started all 26 of those games. and a non-0% chance we'd be better.

TO has said multiple times that he made a mistake by not playing Gerry Gdowski before his senior year.

we're 7-19 in the 2 years and 2 games since I initially called for Haarberg to start in May of 2021, with the worst turnover ratio in the country

with 4 different 3rd/4th year quarterbacks at the helm (AM, CT, purdy, Sims)

there is a 0% chance we'd be worse if HH had started all 26 of those games. and a non-0% chance we'd be better.
There is 0-100% chance we could be worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT