ADVERTISEMENT

Best 2-7 team in history?

Antwill

All-American
Dec 18, 2004
If we keep improving these last 3 games, might be able to make that argument.

Well, you could look at it this way. We are a combined 18 points from being 6-3 right now, with a legitimate chance to finish 9-3.

If we even had a bad defense we could have a winning record. Unfortunately for us, our defense is horrific. Next year will be much better though! GBR!!!

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Well, you could look at it this way. We are a combined 18 points from being 6-3 right now, with a legitimate chance to finish 9-3.

Shocker. Another off season NationalChamps. The typical Neb fan. Coulda shoulda woulda. We are so far away.

Happy for Purdue!! Who do you think Purdue will hire to be their coach next year!?!

Reactions: headcard
If we even had a bad defense we could have a winning record. Unfortunately for us, our defense is horrific. Next year will be much better though! GBR!!!

Yea, because our DL is so loaded, and our pash rushers are unstoppable.

Should be improved, doesn't mean we'll be even good.

Thank god we didn't finish 9-3....this team was really bad even when they lost close games, and we needed a change in mindset to be able to compete against OSU...losing those close games made us pay way more attention to detail and therefore be able to hang with an OSU on the road. Too many times we have been 7-2, 6-3 only to go up against a good opponent and get rocked. And too many times coaches have survived to win 9 games in their first season, and then only win 5 in their 3rd and are on the hot seat. We are fully aware this is a work in progress now, and there will still be bumps in the road as frosty builds depth.

If we keep improving these last 3 games, might be able to make that argument.
I am hopeful for the future but the reality of today is that we are currently a two win team. One of the wins against a team that just got blasted by Illinois and the other was not even D1.

Until this team actually beats someone way to early to say we are on the road back

I think you pretty much are what your record is. Nebraska is a team that is giving up 36.8 ppg and over 450 ypg -5 in TO Margin and one of the more penalized teams in the country. The offense is starting to get more exciting, but there are some major defensive and special team holes that need to get filled. They have a chance in the final 3 games to get better that is the main thing.

Reactions: oldjar07
Exactly what I've been thinking about NU lately. Kind of team with a horrible record that you want no part of because if they keep their brains engaged for 4 quarters they just might get you. Or you beat them in a tough game and nobody is happy because their record is bad.

You saw flashes of what this team can be on Saturday. They opened up the playbook early and often. The thing I like about Frost's offense is even if you think you know what's coming, there are options built into the play and there are variations on the play that he can kill you with.

Very Osborne of him. Make you think it's that same play again and by the time you realize he's switched it up on you, you're chasing a guy to the end zone. It's been really fun to watch the play designs as the players have learned to execute more of the playbook.

I think you pretty much are what your record is. Nebraska is a team that is giving up 36.8 ppg and over 450 ypg -5 in TO Margin and one of the more penalized teams in the country. The offense is starting to get more exciting, but there are some major defensive and special team holes that need to get filled. They have a chance in the final 3 games to get better that is the main thing.
Kick coverage has been much better lately. Still pretty unspectacular in the return game.

And then there's poor Caleb...

Kick coverage has been much better lately. Still pretty unspectacular in the return game.

And then there's poor Caleb...

Yeah... We need to just fair catch every single kickoff as well and just start at the 25 for the rest of the year. I cringe when we come out, especially if space cowboy is not in the game.

Come on. First of all, a lot of those stats had to do with the first half of the season. Things have improved the last few games. Second of all, I'm not sure where you are getting some of your stats. We are giving up 33.7 ppg, not 36.8(303 points in 9 games). Our turnover margin is -4, not -5. We are giving up 442. 8 ypg. Comparing from the first 6 games to the last 3-we gave up 38.3 ppg in the first 6 games-only 24.3 in the last 3. We averaged 96 yards in penalties the first 6 games-only 40.7 the last 3. We were -7 in TO margin the first 6 games-we are +3 over the last 3. At least recognize that it's not just that we have a chance to get better over the last 3 games-we are already getting better.

Come on. First of all, a lot of those stats had to do with the first half of the season. Things have improved the last few games. Second of all, I'm not sure where you are getting some of your stats. We are giving up 33.7 ppg, not 36.8(303 points in 9 games). Our turnover margin is -4, not -5. We are giving up 442. 8 ypg. Comparing from the first 6 games to the last 3-we gave up 38.3 ppg in the first 6 games-only 24.3 in the last 3. We averaged 96 yards in penalties the first 6 games-only 40.7 the last 3. We were -7 in TO margin the first 6 games-we are +3 over the last 3. At least recognize that it's not just that we have a chance to get better over the last 3 games-we are already getting better.

It will be interesting to look at all of the stats at years end game by game.

we have most certainly improved most teams do improve if the coaching is good. We still have to win and this team has not gotten over that hurdle yet.

we have most certainly improved most teams do improve if the coaching is good. We still have to win and this team has not gotten over that hurdle yet.
Is it really that hard for some of you people to give some unqualified praise? Sure, there's still something for the team to prove the rest of the season. How we've played the last few weeks should give some optimism for us to get those wins. Remember, a few weeks ago people were talking 1-11 or maybe 2-10 at best.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Absolutely, we were an incredibly bad team early in the year and our record reflected that. Now we're an average team with an above average offense and a below average defense. We can prove we're better than average by winning these next 3 games, but until then we're nothing more than an average team.

We have an explosive offense.

We've performed below avg as a team even if we win out.

However, they have improved a lot. Can't wait to see if the Cornhuskers get that year two performance bump.

GO BIG RED!!!

The bottomline is that the best 2-7 team was/is..........still 2-7. You are what your record says you are. Need to win some game so we're not 2- 10.

Reactions: Sinomatic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT