ADVERTISEMENT

A Player Dev Question

How many against teams ranked higher than Nebraska? Teams you are supposed to beat can be ranked. If you are number 10 and beat 25 is that beating someone you shouldn't?
don't know and i wasn't alive then.

all i know is they were wins against good teams that likely felt a lot better than scraping by Illinois and getting blown out by Michigan.

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
You mean after taking over a program that won BACK TO BACK F@CKING NATIONAL TITLES? That's cool.
Kalen DeBoer took a team that lost to an FCS team, then proceeded to go 9-1 against ranked teams en route to a natty appearance.

this concept that because Rhule didn't land in an absolutely perfect situation, he should be given years of excuses (like we did with Frost) is loser thinking. hopefully he rights the ship soon, and i have more faith than doubt that he will.

it just reeks that people like you are laying the groundwork for 2025's offseason excuses.

• Haha
Kalen DeBoer took a team that lost to an FCS team, then proceeded to go 9-1 against ranked teams en route to a natty appearance.

this concept that because Rhule didn't land in an absolutely perfect situation, he should be given years of excuses (like we did with Frost) is loser thinking. hopefully he rights the ship soon, and i have more faith than doubt that he will.

it just reeks that people like you are laying the groundwork for 2025's offseason excuses.
Wins won’t matter until 2026 for Rhule

They’re nice to haves, not have to haves. Or at least that’s how the AD will see it.

And Washington will win half the games they won this year, next year. How many games will Alabama win next year with DeBoer taking over a team that made the CFP?

And Washington will win half the games they won this year, next year. How many games will Alabama win next year with DeBoer taking over a team that made the CFP?
I do not expect DeBoer to exceed the greatest coach of all time

I am sure he will have many wins against ranked teams and compete for the SEC Championship most years

I do not expect DeBoer to exceed the greatest coach of all time

I am sure he will have many wins against ranked teams and compete for the SEC Championship most years
Why not? He turned Washington around in short order. Never mind the fact that Washington had one bad season with a mess of a head coach. Similar to how Frost turned that zero win UCF team into a winner in 2 seasons.

How many games will DeBoer win next year with a ready made elite program chock full of 4 and 5 star players? At least, what 10 right?

Reactions: RedMyMind
Why not? He turned Washington around in short order. Never mind the fact that Washington had one bad season with a mess of a head coach. Similar to how Frost turned that zero win UCF team into a winner in 2 seasons.

How many games will DeBoer win next year with a ready made elite program chock full of 4 and 5 star players? At least, what 10 right?
Possibly!

I'll reiterate, I don't think Kalen DeBoer is the greatest head coach of all time, neither was DeVaney.

Nor do I have to defend that wild goalpost shift to expect to have a couple wins against ranked teams

Yes, always been the criteria. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat and win one you shouldn't every once in a while. I have been consistent in that
In 1973, even though Donahue wasn't the coach, TO beat UCLA 40-13. And that 1973 UCLA team went 9-2 and 6-1 in the Pac 8, finishing 9th in the Coaches Poll and 12th in the AP poll.

Winning some games you're not supposed to once in a while is indeed a good metric. Such as TO beating Oklahoma in 1978. But that is not the same as beating great teams because great teams rarely lose. That's why they're great.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
There is a universal consensus of opinion here that Rhule is an elite talent developer

There is also a universal consensus of opinion here that at least one player - our returning starting QB - is a hopeless lost cause in terms of improving

Player dev is indeed a two-sided coin, and these seemingly conflicting lines of thought brought this question to mind:

Which other players do we think won’t get any better under Rhule?
Jeff Sims

They had a bunch of NFL talent on that UCF team.

In 1973, even though Donahue wasn't the coach, TO beat UCLA 40-13. And that 1973 UCLA team went 9-2 and 6-1 in the Pac 8, finishing 9th in the Coaches Poll and 12th in the AP poll.

Winning some games you're not supposed to once in a while is indeed a good metric. Such as TO beating Oklahoma in 1978. But that is not the same as beating great teams because great teams rarely lose. That's why they're great.
Cool on paragraph one.

As far as paragraph two goes.......that is and was the whole point of my argument. You need to follow from the beginning when I was in a conversation with Kong about overall record. Rhule's record after year 2 is he wins about 76% of his games, winning the games he should win with few exceptions. If he does that at Nebraska he will be here as long as he wants to be here.

My point on Osborne is that for the vast majority of his time at Nebraska, he beat the teams he should and struggled with the elite teams. It doesn't matter that some of the teams he should beat were also ranked, those were quite simply games he was expected to win. When his teams played Oklahoma, Miami and Florida St teams, in games that mattered, his teams struggled, sans the 4 year period I mentioned. Osborne was 12-13 in bowl games.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Possibly!

I'll reiterate, I don't think Kalen DeBoer is the greatest head coach of all time, neither was DeVaney.

Nor do I have to defend that wild goalpost shift to expect to have a couple wins against ranked teams
Not every name that starts with De is followed by a capital letter. I know you weren't alive back then but it is just Devaney.

I have been very consistent, no moving goal posts on my part. Beat the teams you should beat and steal a couple of wins against those you shouldn't. That is exactly what Osborne did.

Not every name that starts with De is followed by a capital letter. I know you weren't alive back then but it is just Devaney.

I have been very consistent, no moving goal posts on my part. Beat the teams you should beat and steal a couple of wins against those you shouldn't. That is exactly what Osborne did.
That’s all that should be expected. Now, it’s changed. Win enough to make the playoffs and maybe get an upset or 2 there.

Osborne had 10 wins against ranked teams by year 3.
Again since you weren't alive back then.....

1973 Nebraska beat 1 team Texas in the bowl that was ranked higher than them. Also lost to Missouri, unranked when the game was played and tied a 5-4-2 Oklahoma St team

1974 Nebraska lost to two unranked teams, in Wisconsin and Missouri, and had no wins against teams ranked higher.

1975 Nebraska played no one that was ranked ahead of them, and lost 2 games against teams they were ranked higher than.

Again, I am assuming you were using the ranking at the time the game was played. If not a few of those "10 wins against ranked teams by year 3" go away because at the end of the year some of those teams.....not ranked at all.

Resorting to grammar arguments is always a bad look.

Your comparison is still stupid. Osborne won the conference 13 times, meaning there was a greater than 50% chance in any given year that he was going to win the conference.

Is it now your contention that Rhule will win the conference at least twice in the next 4 years?

Really weird hill to die on.

Again since you weren't alive back then.....

1973 Nebraska beat 1 team Texas in the bowl that was ranked higher than them. Also lost to Missouri, unranked when the game was played and tied a 5-4-2 Oklahoma St team

1974 Nebraska lost to two unranked teams, in Wisconsin and Missouri, and had no wins against teams ranked higher.

1975 Nebraska played no one that was ranked ahead of them, and lost 2 games against teams they were ranked higher than.

Again, I am assuming you were using the ranking at the time the game was played. If not a few of those "10 wins against ranked teams by year 3" go away because at the end of the year some of those teams.....not ranked at all.
Sweet, I'll hold you to it that by the end of Rhules tenure, he will be just as accomplished as Osborne. Stellar take again!

• Haha
I agree the majority of fans - especially here - will be ecstatic with a 75% win total while beating nobody or next to nobody

I am not one of those fans, however, and never will be
Brother

You are the guy who touted Haarbergs record as the proof source for why he was a good QB.

Despite Haarberg beating TERRIBLE teams and losing to the good ones you were more than satisfied with those wins. Arguably more than anyone else here.

Brother

You are the guy who touted Haarbergs record as the proof source for why he was a good QB.

Despite Haarberg beating TERRIBLE teams and losing to the good ones you were more than satisfied with those wins. Arguably more than anyone else here.
context is important

Haarberg's 2023 record is the best of any QB we've had since 2016. 40% of the games he won he did so as an underdog. it is literally all the proof anyone needs that he was our best guy last year. there is not one single cogent argument to the contrary.

my response to Tuco is 2025 and beyond (extremely obvious if you are able to read at a 1st grade level) because that's literally what he was talking about.

are you saying you'd be happy going 9-3 every season starting in 2025 with zero wins over ranked opponents, zero conference titles and zero meaningful accomplishments?

Those results would be fine for a year or two. Not in perpetuity.

Last edited:
Reactions: thall__
context is important

Haarberg's 2023 record is the best of any QB we've had since 2016. 40% of the games he won he did so as an underdog. it is literally all the proof anyone needs that he was our best guy last year. there is not one single cogent argument to the contrary.

my response to Tuco is 2025 and beyond (extremely obvious if you are able to read at a 1st grade level) because that's literally what he was talking about.

are you saying you'd be happy going 9-3 every season starting in 2025 with zero wins over ranked opponents, zero conference titles and zero meaningful accomplishments?

I could live with that for the next 20 years. We would be ranked every season. And after the last 20, I have come to realize that it’s hard to be as consistent as we were under Osborne and 9-3 (every year) and 10-2 (in a good year) was an acceptable season for every Nebraska fan for a 20 year run.

So yeah I’d take it. That would give us the highest winning percentage in college football over the next 20 years.

I’d take it and shut my mouth.

I could live with that for the next 20 years. We would be ranked every season. And after the last 20, I have come to realize that it’s hard to be as consistent as we were under Osborne and 9-3 (every year) and 10-2 (in a good year) was an acceptable season for every Nebraska fan for a 20 year run.

So yeah I’d take it. That would give us the highest winning percentage in college football over the next 20 years.

I’d take it and shut my mouth.
I appreciate your honesty

Empty 9 win seasons don’t mean much to me. I want titles.

The glaring issue here for context is that the “games osborne was expected to win” were a lot better quality opponents and more total than what rhule is currently being expected to win.

Its not a fair comparison at all, really. Typical of nebraska fans though. (Reminds me of “pelini wins 9 just like tom!” narrative even though pelini coached at least one more game and tom didnt play fcs schools and didnt play as many non power conference schools.)

The glaring issue here for context is that the “games osborne was expected to win” were a lot better quality opponents and more total than what rhule is currently being expected to win.

Its not a fair comparison at all, really. Typical of nebraska fans though. (Reminds me of “pelini wins 9 just like tom!” narrative even though pelini coached at least one more game and tom didnt play fcs schools and didnt play as many non power conference schools.)
We had our fair share of warm up games during the Osborne era. CO St, Pacific, Mid Tennessee St, etc

We had our fair share of warm up games during the Osborne era. CO St, Pacific, Mid Tennessee St, etc
Are you alleging that during the osborne era we played the number/rate of fcs and bad non-power 5 programs we have played the past 25 or so years? Or during Pelini era.?

And pacific was the 95 season which disqualifies it as that was a year we “won more than expected”.

context is important

Haarberg beat bad teams

Haarberg beat bad teams
Better than losing to bad teams like the other two bums

Haarberg stabilized this program. He is Rhule’s culture personified. A winner, as Coach likes to refer to him.

We should all be very glad to have him in the QB room. If even a tiny fraction of his grit, heart and guts rub off on the rookies, we’ll be much better for it.

My biggest concern is Dylan not handling the team well, not earning the respect of his elders, not being able to take the necessary punches to the face/ego. He has a mentor in HH and I hope he takes advantage of it.

Kid has all the physical tools, but what separates avg, good and great is entirely between the ears/behind the ribs/in the nutsack

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
Better than losing to bad teams like the other two bums

Haarberg stabilized this program. He is Rhule’s culture personified. A winner, as Coach likes to refer to him.

We should all be very glad to have him in the QB room. If even a tiny fraction of his grit, heart and guts rub off on the rookies, we’ll be much better for it.

My biggest concern is Dylan not handling the team well, not earning the respect of his elders, not being able to take the necessary punches to the face/ego. He has a mentor in HH and I hope he takes advantage of it.

Kid has all the physical tools, but what separates avg, good and great is entirely between the ears/behind the ribs/in the nutsack
Your biggest concern seems like a strawman.

By all accounts Dylan has acted like a leader since he committed.

Your biggest concern seems like a strawman.

By all accounts Dylan has acted like a leader since he committed.
Well, yea. It’ll never be easier than it is right now.

Strawman? 8 years ago called, it wants its word back.

Those are my genuine concerns about DR. I have no idea how he will handle adversity, failure, etc.

Intangibles are just that until the time comes to make them tangible. And they are what tip the scales the most when it matters.

Not conflicting at all

Rhules talent development is a general term. Those pieces include

Physical development through hiring the right S&C team

Mental development by installing a culture and holding player accountable

Recruiting - identifying that players that have a high ceiling both physically and mentally.

Culling the herd - cutting the players that aren’t bought in so it doesn’t hinder others development

That’s where his “development” area is based on. Just because Haarberg didn’t get any better in the 12 week period we saw him in doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t improve in this off season. But as of November he was NOT a Big 10 starting QB as a passer. Certainly was as a runner.

So we will see what happens over the next few years with him.

What we won’t see are other players that “won’t develop” because they won’t be here. If they don’t get better they get moved out. It’s that simple with Rhule. Why do you think he brought in WAY more kids than the 85 scholly limit?

If they aren’t bought in they are gone. Quickly.
What do you mean Haarberg didn’t get better under Rhule? He won 5 games for Matt Rhule, how many under Scott Lost?

Reactions: king_kong_
Well, yea. It’ll never be easier than it is right now.

Strawman? 8 years ago called, it wants its word back.

Those are my genuine concerns about DR. I have no idea how he will handle adversity, failure, etc.

Intangibles are just that until the time comes to make them tangible. And they are what tip the scales the most when it matters.
I’ve read/heard Dylan is an absolute grinder in the weight room and at practice. He’s not a diva here to take it easy. I think his dad understands what it takes to be successful at football at an elite level and would wager he is a bigger mentor than HH will ever be. Not saying the blue collar grit of HH won’t help but I think DR is coming to the table with plenty of grit.

It gives me hope he is able to obtain the talent needed to win more than lose once his roster is turned over

His record in years 3+ against ranked teams however makes me think we will also need to out talent them in order to regularly (or at all) beat those opponents because he doesn’t seem to have found a way to win those games with coaching when all things are closer to equal
I said I wouldn't criticize Rhule for the first 1 1/2 years he is here, and I try not to. I think we all seen "in-game" mistakes by this coaching staff that may have led to a few games being lost that shouldn't have.

NU has just been snakebitten for so long, a mistake(s) happens at the worst possible time.

I think when a coach is lacking in overall talent versus their opponents, they do things to try to win, the concept and timing might be perfect, but many times their athletes just can't pull it off.

There are so few college coaches who hold a positive record against Top Ten teams that I don't hold that against Rhule so early in his regime of taking over a program that has mastered losing every way imaginable.

If, and I hope not, NU continues to piss down its leg and make "perceived" mistakes from the coaching side, then we actually could have an issue going forward. Hope I'm totally wrong.

Reactions: king_kong_
I don't think HH cannot improve. A good QB coach can take a 6'5" very athletic QB with a strong arm and help him become a better player. In fact, I think under QB coach Thomas's tutelage, HH will display considerable improvement as a passer.
If Thomas can coach HH to get the ball to a different arm slot, his improvement should be noticeable.

No reason HH can't be a solid contributor on this team.

An extremely athletic 6'5" athlete, with excellent speed will find a home somewhere on the field.

If HH put on some quality weight, he would/could exceed Fidone.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
And my comment was that Nebraska fan will be happy if they win the games they are supposed to and steal a game every once in a while that they shouldn't.

Osborne record
vs Bear Bryant 1-1
vs Paterno 3-2
vs Bowden 2-6
vs Switzer 5-12
vs Johnson (Miami) 0-3
vs Schnellenberger (Miami) 0-1
To be honest, in my opinion, NU overproduced with less talent than almost all those teams.
NU always super well coached, but talent wise, just not as good.

In those above listed games, I can't recall many times where our overall talent matched up with those teams.

TO's above listed record of the teams above includes 25 losses and TO only lost 49 games in his entire 25 year career.

Last edited:
Sure, in an 8 team league with 2 consistently good teams and about 3 or 4 that would rotate being the 3rd best team.
NU had the automatic wins against KSU, KU, ISU, CU, OSU. Granted, once in a while some of these teams were decent to good, but overall a weak ass bunch for a lot of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT