ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska 5 point dogs against Illinois in today’s Semifinal game

My take was that the Illinois coach told them to start mugging people in the 2nd half. Nothing to lose. And the refs just let them.

Illinois gets away with a blatant travel and Nebraska on the very next possession has Tominaga called for a fictional travel. We were getting mugged in the paint on offense in the second half. Gary breathed on an Illini player and the whistle blew in the second half. We couldn’t match their intensity on D because the zebras wouldn’t allow it.
Funny how the officiating changed between the halfs. Or maybe shooting 60% and playing hard nosed D does make a difference or perhaps moving the ball and not just standing out there and hoisting up a long three with time running out on the shot clock. Illinois ratcheted up the D and wasn't giving the perimeter of Nebraska much room to breath and we have no ability to go down low or inside, if they shut down our perimeter game, we are screwed. Illinois didn't allow the switching D to even get set up, they know the drill and just used their athleticism to drive the ball down low and out jump us for 50-50 balls. We have no one who can clean the boards or take the ball to the rack with any authority. Illinois made a concerted effort to drive the ball and get into the paint because we cannot stop anyone there, it worked.

Shannon had 40 points - tell me how the refs helped him do that? I thought Tominaga got away with several more travels, he has been prone to do that, especially with pressure but again, its all the refs, those dirty cheaters. They must all be from Michigan and I can't imagine the effort it takes to get all these refs to conspire together against us, massive.

• Love
Reactions: BTF69
Funny how the officiating changed between the halfs. Or maybe shooting 60% and playing hard nosed D does make a difference or perhaps moving the ball and not just standing out there and hoisting up a long three with time running out on the shot clock. Illinois ratcheted up the D and wasn't giving the perimeter of Nebraska much room to breath and we have no ability to go down low or inside, if they shut down our perimeter game, we are screwed. Illinois didn't allow the switching D to even get set up, they know the drill and just used their athleticism to drive the ball down low and out jump us for 50-50 balls. We have no one who can clean the boards or take the ball to the rack with any authority. Illinois made a concerted effort to drive the ball and get into the paint because we cannot stop anyone there, it worked.

Shannon had 40 points - tell me how the refs helped him do that? I thought Tominaga got away with several more travels, he has been prone to do that, especially with pressure but again, its all the refs, those dirty cheaters. They must all be from Michigan and I can't imagine the effort it takes to get all these refs to conspire together against us, massive.
It was so inconsistent. Several times it was WWE when we were on O, no foul, and then they called a foul for minimal contact on the other end. Shannon is a handful and we couldn't guard him. We also got off our offensive game in the 2nd and forgot we are best when moving the ball for the open shot. But the officiating as a whole was terrible the whole tournament.

Same in the first game today. I swear one of the players in the the first game slid across the floor on a shop creeper and they didn't call a travel. My kid asked why they didn't call a travel. I was speechless. Players adjust to however the game is called. Just be consistent.

Shannon had 40 points - tell me how the refs helped him do that? I thought Tominaga got away with several more travels, he has been prone to do that, especially with pressure but again, it’s all the refs, those dirty cheaters. They must all be from Michigan and I can't imagine the effort it takes to get all these refs to conspire together against us, massive.
Fouls every time someone breathed on him. Next brain buster?

I was at the game. It was very obvious the refs were calling touch fouls on behalf of Illinois. They were drawn into Illinois style of play. Illinois was attacking the rim relentlessly. Momentum clearly started switching when we continued to sub in different players to protect our foul problems. There were plenty of calls Illinois got away with on defensive end. It was very very sad. Although I was yelling hysterically how bad it was getting with the refs, I reflected on how there have been some games we had the benefit.

At the end of the day we weren’t good enough to power through the calls. We just looked a little flat as a team even when we were scoring tons of points in the first half. It wasn’t really great team ball. We just happened to be hitting alot of shots.

Reactions: arf_man
I also wish we would have played a little zone just to keep their stud guard in check a little bit. He was just faster than us today especially after we missed a shot and they transitioned. Try anything to stop the bleeding as momentum kept getting lost with all the called fouls and their speed.

NU wins the first half by 12: GREAT GAME
NU gets smoked in the second half: The refs!!!

Fouls: 18-19

Reminded me of football, can get lots of calls in the 4th qtr when the game is basically over to even it out. Gary, who we really need in a game like this, was basically removed by a bunch of touch fouls. The last one was a dunk for us and is something that is usually not called.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Huskers enter today winning 7 of their last 8 games and are 23-9 and looking to play in the conference tournament championship..
Illini have won 6 of their last 8 games and stand 24-8

Huskers lost February 4, 87-84 in OVT in Champaign.
Should be a fun afternoon.
Choke show....we will likley never win a tournament game this year.

Clarence Boddicker would say this about Nebraska's upcoming tournament game:

"Guys, guys, guys, Huskers play, TONIGHT! Never miss a game."

Enjoy what hasn't been for awhile, they just might pull out a win.

Go to any fan site and it's the same. When things aren't going right, it has to be the refs. And that 18-19 foul comparison says it was not all one-sided

Go to any fan site and it's the same. When things aren't going right, it has to be the refs. And that 18-19 foul comparison says it was not all one-sided

This comment - and the others like it - is a simpleton’s analysis of how the entire game was officiated. The first and second half were completely different. If the style of play was called consistently, there would have been a wide disparity in the number of fouls called on Illinois. They would have had to go deep into their bench, which is not their strength. They then are also unable to get into the flow of their offense and would have needed to play more passively on defense.

In summary, for the simpletons, it is not just how many fouls are called but how many, what types, when are they called in the game, are the same types of fouls called against both teams, etc. It really is about consistency as I have said many times. Not only what is called but what is not called. Not only with fouls but also violations.

The first half was consistent for both teams. The second half definitely favored Illinois. Examples are plentiful.

Last edited:
This comment - and the others like it - is a simpleton’s analysis of how the entire game was officiated. The first and second half were completely different. If the style of play was called consistently, there would gave been a wide disparity in the number of fouls called on Illinois. They would have had to go deep into their bench, which is not their strength. They then are also unable to get into the flow of their offense and would have needed to play more passively on defense.

In summary, for the simpletons, it is not just how many fouls are called but how many, what types, when are they called in the game, are the same types of fouls called against both teams, etc. It really is about consistency as I have said many times. Not only what is called but what is not called. Not only with fouls but also violations.

The first half was consistent for both teams. The second half definitely favored Illinois. Examples are plentiful.
Don’t call him a simpleton. He went to a directional school.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
This comment - and the others like it - is a simpleton’s analysis of how the entire game was officiated. The first and second half were completely different. If the style of play was called consistently, there would have been a wide disparity in the number of fouls called on Illinois. They would have had to go deep into their bench, which is not their strength. They then are also unable to get into the flow of their offense and would have needed to play more passively on defense.

Excuses, excuses, excuses !!!! I also watched the game and calling the 2nd half by NU a complete collapse would be an understatement

It wouldn’t be a Husker game thread if people weren’t complaining about the refs. Some of our fans are right up there with Iowa State and KState fans. Boooooooooo!

It wouldn’t be a Husker game thread if people weren’t complaining about the refs. Some of our fans are right up there with Iowa State and KState fans. Boooooooooo!

If it was just bitching to be bitching, then I would tend to consider your point a bit more. Or if there were just a few examples where things didn't go NUs way. But the examples of where calls / non-calls clearly favored Illinois are numerous. I have no idea who ultimately would have won - likely Illinois because they were shooting lights out, especially from 3s - but to say the officiating was not a sizable contributing factor to the final outcome is being willfully blind.

Reactions: HuskAir
If it was just bitching to be bitching, then I would tend to consider your point a bit more. Or if there were just a few examples where things didn't go NUs way. But the examples of where calls / non-calls clearly favored Illinois are numerous. I have no idea who ultimately would have won - likely Illinois because they were shooting lights out, especially from 3s - but to say the officiating was not a sizable contributing factor to the final outcome is being willfully blind.
Really? 18 to 19 total fouls ---- OK

Really? 18 to 19 total fouls ---- OK

Again, you never dispute any of the numerous examples of calls / non-calls and only fall back to the number of fouls called for the entire game. That is a simpleton response, at best. Give some examples of your own where Illinois was disadvantaged significantly from how the game was officiated, if you can. You won’t be able to but I am willing to listen and change my opinion.

You want the refs to stop calling fouls? Adjust to the game and stop fouling. It's a simple as that. Huskers were shorthanded and tired in the second half. Legs were gone. That leads to (many) missed shots and being a step slow on defense, which leads to unnecessary fouls.

Most coaches will say "if you want to blame the refs when you lose, you need to give them credit when you win." Illinois had better players and played harder than us yesterday. It happens.

Again, you never dispute any of the numerous examples of calls / non-calls and only fall back to the number of fouls called for the entire game. That is a simpleton response, at best. Give some examples of your own where Illinois was disadvantaged significantly from how the game was officiated, if you can. You won’t be able to but I am willing to listen and change my opinion.
Score was 57-45 NU with 16 mins left. Then Nebraska got called for fouls on 6 of IL’s next seven possessions. So six fouls called in like 2 minutes Changed the game and Nebraska couldn’t answer.

You want the refs to stop calling fouls? Adjust to the game and stop fouling. It's a simple as that. Huskers were shorthanded and tired in the second half. Legs were gone. That leads to (many) missed shots and being a step slow on defense, which leads to unnecessary fouls.

Most coaches will say "if you want to blame the refs when you lose, you need to give them credit when you win." Illinois had better players and played harder than us yesterday. It happens.
They did look tired. No excuse. Tired of excuses. they almost won but that's a bad loss up that many points. Yea it happens.

Now we get a road game basically against a team that is most likely better. At least stat and seating wise. If we do not win a game this season really is not much different than any other season. No more excuses. Win a dam tourney game.

Score was 57-45 NU with 16 mins left. Then Nebraska got called for fouls on 6 of IL’s next seven possessions. So six fouls called in like 2 minutes Changed the game and Nebraska couldn’t answer.
That’s exactly what I was thinking at the time. Ref’s were calling ticky tack fouls on us during that duration..

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Somewhat refreshing watching the A10 championship game. They just went to the under 12:00 TO due to calling the first foul of the half.

Edit: No sooner did I post this but the announcers said the 3-man officiating crew is one of the best in the country. They rattled off how many NCAA regional and Final 4 games they had worked. Funny, you never hear that in B1G broadcasts….

Last edited:
I also wish we would have played a little zone just to keep their stud guard in check a little bit. He was just faster than us today especially after we missed a shot and they transitioned. Try anything to stop the bleeding as momentum kept getting lost with all the called fouls and their speed.

We tried playing a match up zone for awhile, maybe a straight zone would’ve worked better IDK? But as soon as we went to the match up zone Domast hit back to back 3s. Maybe we gave up on it too quickly? 🤷‍♂️ Gary was the only guy that could somewhat stop Shannon from getting his 1st step on the defender, and he got in foul trouble way too early to be effective.

Last edited:
Not at all. Unless we win a game it's really no differemt is it? Oh it was nore exciting I'll give you that.

It's very different. Beating the number 1 team. Finishing third in the conf, legitimately having a shot at making the conf finals, being a lock on selection Sunday. You're strange.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT