ADVERTISEMENT

A Player Dev Question

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
There is a universal consensus of opinion here that Rhule is an elite talent developer

There is also a universal consensus of opinion here that at least one player - our returning starting QB - is a hopeless lost cause in terms of improving

Player dev is indeed a two-sided coin, and these seemingly conflicting lines of thought brought this question to mind:

Which other players do we think won’t get any better under Rhule?

welcome-back-kotter-kotter.gif

Welcome back, Konger.

There is a universal consensus of opinion here that Rhule is an elite talent developer

There is also a universal consensus of opinion here that at least one player - our returning starting QB - is a hopeless lost cause in terms of improving

Player dev is indeed a two-sided coin, and these seemingly conflicting lines of thought brought this question to mind:

Not conflicting at all

Rhules talent development is a general term. Those pieces include

Physical development through hiring the right S&C team

Mental development by installing a culture and holding player accountable

Recruiting - identifying that players that have a high ceiling both physically and mentally.

Culling the herd - cutting the players that aren’t bought in so it doesn’t hinder others development

That’s where his “development” area is based on. Just because Haarberg didn’t get any better in the 12 week period we saw him in doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t improve in this off season. But as of November he was NOT a Big 10 starting QB as a passer. Certainly was as a runner.

So we will see what happens over the next few years with him.

What we won’t see are other players that “won’t develop” because they won’t be here. If they don’t get better they get moved out. It’s that simple with Rhule. Why do you think he brought in WAY more kids than the 85 scholly limit?

If they aren’t bought in they are gone. Quickly.

Player Dev means you can make a player better at what he's built to do and hone their skills.

In H2s case you can't make him into something he's not

i think the most hopeful aspect about Rhule is that he's willing to move on from mistakes, and not quit learning himself.

even though he did a historically terrible job on evaluating QBs before last season, he didn't force Sims as the starter the way Frost certainly would've.

consistent honesty towards yourself and others is actually a really important takeaway that most posters could benefit from implementing themselves.

The HH question is similar to the 85 limit question - I'm not worried about either because as Rhule said, "I know what I'm doing, I got this."

Rhule likes big and fast athletes above all else. HH is big and fast. He can help this program win.

I think the jury is still out on Rhule. I know that's an unpopular opinion right now in Husker fandom because he's put NU back on the map this offseason, and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

But he also brought in Jeff Sims and Marcus Satterfield. We'll see if the new staff additions on the offensive side make a big impact.

He also deserves credit for Tony White and then keeping Tony White.

As to the OP, HH is just not a starting quarterback but I really like the kid. He's got a ton of heart and grit and I'm glad he decided to stay on the team. I just hope he moves positions. I'd think he'd kill at TE.

I think the jury is still out on Rhule. I know that's an unpopular opinion right now in Husker fandom because he's put NU back on the map this offseason, and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

But he also brought in Jeff Sims and Marcus Satterfield. We'll see if the new staff additions on the offensive side make a big impact.

As to the OP, HH is just not a starting quarterback but I really like the kid. He's got a ton of heart and grit and I'm glad he decided to stay on the team. I just hope he moves positions. I'd think he'd kill at TE.
Our recruiting class this year gives me hope about the future within the context of these past 10 years

There is also the question of developing the developer, so to speak. Because Rhule’s in-game management/decisions last year put his career record - especially against ranked opponents -into much sharper focus

Unless he himself develops in certain areas to give us a decided sideline advantage, we will need to out talent our opponents. Good news is it appears we are bringing in better talent.

Rhule sees HH as a QB and said so in his last press conference. He said he has room to grow with reps for sure. Would not expect to see him playing other roles next year. I could see him jumping in sporadically for QB designed runs and RPO situations.

Last edited:
Rhule sees HH as a QB and said so in his last press conference. He said he has room to grow with reps for sure. Would t expect to see him playing other roles next year. I could see him jumping in sporadically for QB designed runs and RPO situations.
Sort of like a Taysom Hill type? I could see that.

Our recruiting class this year gives me hope about the future within the context of these past 10 years

There is also the question of developing the developer, so to speak. Because Rhule’s in-game management/decisions last year put his career record - especially against ranked opponents -into much sharper focus

Unless he himself develops in certain areas to give us a decided sideline advantage, we will need to out talent our opponents. Good news is it appears we are bringing in better talent.
I don't really pay attention to his career record. It is a macro view, no doubt, but he has taken over programs that are/ were underperforming or in the case of Baylor, historically bad. Most coaches wouldn't have touched Baylor with a 10 foot pole when Rhule took over. Taking over programs that are almost guaranteed to have a losing record in year one and, again, in the case of Baylor year one and year 2, will have a big effect on the over all record. I am of the opinion that if you look at his record and break it down into years 1-2 vs 3-4

years 1-2 record is 21-40

years 3 and up 31-10

That shows development and improvement more than just looking at an overall record of 52-50

I don't really pay attention to his career record. It is a macro view, no doubt, but he has taken over programs that are/ were underperforming or in the case of Baylor, historically bad. Most coaches wouldn't have touched Baylor with a 10 foot pole when Rhule took over. Taking over programs that are almost guaranteed to have a losing record in year one and, again, in the case of Baylor year one and year 2, will have a big effect on the over all record. I am of the opinion that if you look at his record and break it down into years 1-2 vs 3-4

years 1-2 record is 21-40

years 3 and up 31-10

That shows development and improvement more than just looking at an overall record of 52-50
It gives me hope he is able to obtain the talent needed to win more than lose once his roster is turned over

His record in years 3+ against ranked teams however makes me think we will also need to out talent them in order to regularly (or at all) beat those opponents because he doesn’t seem to have found a way to win those games with coaching when all things are closer to equal

It gives me hope he is able to obtain the talent needed to win more than lose once his roster is turned over

His record in years 3+ against ranked teams however makes me think we will also need to out talent them in order to regularly (or at all) beat those opponents because he doesn’t seem to have found a way to win those games with coaching when all things are closer to equal
Sure, but I have been told that Nebraska fan will be happy if we just win the games we should win and steal a couple of games we should lose. If Rhule is winning 76% of his game after year 2 in Lincoln, the fanbase will be ok.

Reactions: mgbreis
Sure, but I have been told that Nebraska fan will be happy if we just win the games we should win and steal a couple of games we should lose. If Rhule is winning 76% of his game after year 2 in Lincoln, the fanbase will be ok.
I agree the majority of fans - especially here - will be ecstatic with a 75% win total while beating nobody or next to nobody

I am not one of those fans, however, and never will be

It’s hilarious people bag on Satterfield considering what he had to work with.

Same folks wanted Raiola gone.

I don't think HH cannot improve. A good QB coach can take a 6'5" very athletic QB with a strong arm and help him become a better player. In fact, I think under QB coach Thomas's tutelage, HH will display considerable improvement as a passer.

That would be pretty much what Osborne did for his time at Nebraska, sans a 4 year period between 94/95-97/98.
TO beat Bear Bryant's Alabama, Paterno's Penn State (multiple times),
Switzer's Oklahoma team (six or seven times), Bobby Bodwin's Florida State as well very good Missouri, Colorado and Auburn (with Bo Jackson at Auburn) teams before the 90's.

These teams are not nobodies.

the bottom line on last years offense (besides turnovers) is none of the qb's had rattlers arm..and satterfeild did'nt know any different offense except what ron brown and dr. tom could figure....but this year with raolia, that changes...and hopefully the rb's don't need hospitalized after 2 runs

TO beat Bear Bryant's Alabama, Paterno's Penn State (multiple times),
Switzer's Oklahoma team (six or seven times), Bobby Bodwin's Florida State as well very good Missouri, Colorado and Auburn (with Bo Jackson at Auburn) teams before the 90's.

These teams are not nobodies.
And my comment was that Nebraska fan will be happy if they win the games they are supposed to and steal a game every once in a while that they shouldn't.

Osborne record
vs Bear Bryant 1-1
vs Paterno 3-2
vs Bowden 2-6
vs Switzer 5-12
vs Johnson (Miami) 0-3
vs Schnellenberger (Miami) 0-1

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
And my comment was that Nebraska fan will be happy if they win the games they are supposed to and steal a game every once in a while that they shouldn't.

Osborne record
vs Bear Bryant 1-1
vs Paterno 3-2
vs Bowden 2-6
vs Switzer 5-12
vs Johnson (Miami) 0-3
Well, you reinforced my point, he beat some very good teams. Also, you left out some very good teams in the Big 8 that he beat.

Reactions: thall__
Sure, in an 8 team league with 2 consistently good teams and about 3 or 4 that would rotate being the 3rd best team.
our 18 team league has 2 consistently good teams and about 3 or 4 that rotate being the 3rd best team

Osborne record
vs Bear Bryant 1-1
vs Paterno 3-2
vs Bowden 2-6
vs Switzer 5-12
vs Johnson (Miami) 0-3
If you’re going to count Jimmy Johnson you need to include the years he was at Oklahoma St too..

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Well, you reinforced my point, he beat some very good teams. Also, you left out some very good teams in the Big 8 that he beat.
I didn't reinforce anything. Osborne's record against the very good teams was not all that impressive.

Very good Big 8 teams? Over the length of Osborne's Big 8/ 12 career, a grand total of 5 teams won a Big 8/12 title. Nebraska, Oklahoma Colorado (1976, 1989,1990, 1991) Oklahoma St (1976) Texas 1996

Osborne record
vs Bear Bryant 1-1
vs Paterno 3-2
vs Bowden 2-6
vs Switzer 5-12
vs Johnson (Miami) 0-3
vs Donahue (UCLA) 6-1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT