ADVERTISEMENT

A Player Dev Question

Cool on paragraph one.

As far as paragraph two goes.......that is and was the whole point of my argument. You need to follow from the beginning when I was in a conversation with Kong about overall record. Rhule's record after year 2 is he wins about 76% of his games, winning the games he should win with few exceptions. If he does that at Nebraska he will be here as long as he wants to be here.

My point on Osborne is that for the vast majority of his time at Nebraska, he beat the teams he should and struggled with the elite teams. It doesn't matter that some of the teams he should beat were also ranked, those were quite simply games he was expected to win. When his teams played Oklahoma, Miami and Florida St teams, in games that mattered, his teams struggled, sans the 4 year period I mentioned. Osborne was 12-13 in bowl games.
In TO's 25 year head coaching career, NU lost only 1 game (ISU in 1991, I think) to a team that finished the year with a losing record. That's beating who you should beat as a prime example.

NU had the automatic wins against KSU, KU, ISU, CU, OSU. Granted, once in a while some of these teams were decent to good, but overall a weak ass bunch for a lot of years.
Without actually going back and looking, I would guess TO's overall record against those teams was about 120-5/115-10, or something outrageous like that. The 6 teams Tuco listed were accountable for 25 of TO's career losses, so other losses were few and far between.

Last edited:
I’ve read/heard Dylan is an absolute grinder in the weight room and at practice. He’s not a diva here to take it easy. I think his dad understands what it takes to be successful at football at an elite level and would wager he is a bigger mentor than HH will ever be. Not saying the blue collar grit of HH won’t help but I think DR is coming to the table with plenty of grit.
That’s great.

I’m hopeful those things won’t just continue but will ratchet up now that there are several hundred miles between DR and daddy and now that he has millions (allegedly) of his own cash in the bank.

They have to in order for him to become great.

I’ve read/heard Dylan is an absolute grinder in the weight room and at practice. He’s not a diva here to take it easy. I think his dad understands what it takes to be successful at football at an elite level and would wager he is a bigger mentor than HH will ever be. Not saying the blue collar grit of HH won’t help but I think DR is coming to the table with plenty of grit.
Great point. Dylan has had 18 years of mentorship by national championship winning NFL pro. He probably doesn't know how to handle teammates at all.

What do you mean Haarberg didn’t get better under Rhule? He won 5 games for Matt Rhule, how many under Scott Lost?
He did nothing better in his last few games of the season than he did in the first games. If anything he regressed. Certainly didn’t show a development progression over the stretch of games he played in or started.

But I’d welcome you showing me where I’m wrong

He did nothing better in his last few games of the season than he did in the first games. If anything he regressed. Certainly didn’t show a development progression over the stretch of games he played in or started.

But I’d welcome you showing me where I’m wrong
First of all what I said was he improved under Rhule because he was actually playing qb and winning vs bench warmer, not even in qb meetings under frost.
Second he was probably “beat up” from all the times he put the team on his back running the ball plus, pretty sure he was concussed after the Purdue game and or injured during the Michigan State game. That’s probably why you think he “regressed.”

Reactions: king_kong_
Great point. Dylan has had 18 years of mentorship by national championship winning NFL pro. He probably doesn't know how to handle teammates at all.
It’s been at least 5 years since he’s had a teammate for more than 1 season

And he’s been the #1 kid on every board since about then, also

It’s hard to get to the top. It’s much harder to stay there. Here’s hoping he’s one of the rare ones.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
It’s been at least 5 years since he’s had a teammate for more than 1 season

And he’s been the #1 kid on every board since about then, also

It’s hard to get to the top. It’s much harder to stay there. Here’s hoping he’s one of the rare ones.
Hope so too!

Hopefully between him and Kaelin we finally have a good one.

Better than losing to bad teams like the other two bums

Haarberg stabilized this program. He is Rhule’s culture personified. A winner, as Coach likes to refer to him.

We should all be very glad to have him in the QB room. If even a tiny fraction of his grit, heart and guts rub off on the rookies, we’ll be much better for it.

My biggest concern is Dylan not handling the team well, not earning the respect of his elders, not being able to take the necessary punches to the face/ego. He has a mentor in HH and I hope he takes advantage of it.

Kid has all the physical tools, but what separates avg, good and great is entirely between the ears/behind the ribs/in the nutsack
I’m very nervous about our QB situation- it’s not ideal.
But I am thrilled to have the lunch pail work ethic and passion Haarberg brings to help set the standard for the room.
Seems he’s the type to be humble enough and capable of competing his tail off, even if Dylan takes the reigns. That dedication is important, and necessary to prevent toxicity seeping into the locker room.
We need anyone and everyone pushing each other and raising the bar of competition. Whomever is best gets the nod.

Hopefully Thomas can be the one to prepare them in an effective manner to be ready starting week 1.
If HH somehow started, we know he did enough to fend off the stud newcomer(s).
If DR starts, it better be because he’s outperformed HH, who “should be” much improved going into next year.

and Schnellenberger at OU.
why? Johnson's teams at OSU were average at best. Nebraska should have beaten those teams 29-25-3 and were ranked (18 coaches poll) 1 time to end the season and played in 2 minor bowl games in his 5 years.

Drunkenberger was at OU 1 year and they had a 5-5-1 record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT