ADVERTISEMENT

Any insight on who is in the lead at QB

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:
I assume ultimately Bush or Stanton will be the starter since they may have more NFL potential.
Don't assume anything one week into Spring practice. Plenty of QBs with no NFL potential have gone on to do great things in college.

Originally posted by rrthusker:
TA is.
That would be the logical assumption but TA threw 3 picks in limited scrimmage activity on Saturday. AJ Bush supposedly continues to impress according to several reporters.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

TA is.
That would be the logical assumption but TA threw 3 picks in limited scrimmage activity on Saturday. AJ Bush supposedly continues to impress according to several reporters.
Maybe our secondary is just that good? I hope...

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

TA is.
IIRC 1 db had all 3 picks.

Unfortunately, his performance in the Saturday scrimmage reminds me of several of his game performances.

Originally posted by sparky62:

TA is.
IIRC 1 db had all 3 picks.
Tre Moisley had the 3 picks.

I believe he threw 2 more for a total of 5 though...

Ouch. 5 picks isn't going to get it done. Not surprising though. USC should have had 5 picks if their secondary had any hands. Hopefully TA improves. Alot.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I guess it kind of depends on how the interceptions happened. For instance, a deep jump ball isn't on the QB quite as much versus if these were the shorter to intermediate over the middle routes.

I'm guessing the new staff is seeing the same things that the old staff was worried about.

I personally don't think TA quite has the skill set they are looking for.

The old staff wasn't worried about shit. TA was playing no matter what. BO BO and his staff "ride or died" with their QBs.

May the best man win, but I am hoping Armstrong improves enough to be the clear cut best man. His intangibles and leadership are very important. Someone in the media made a comment after one of the practices that none of the other QBs are even in the same league as him as far as that goes.

While I believe Tommy is a great competitor and a good leader, I will be shocked if he remains as the starting QB by the end of fall camp. His foot work, mechanics and accuracy would have to improve dramatically to keep his job. JMHO.

Originally posted by NikkiSixx:
I guess it kind of depends on how the interceptions happened. For instance, a deep jump ball isn't on the QB quite as much versus if these were the shorter to intermediate over the middle routes.

I'm guessing the new staff is seeing the same things that the old staff was worried about.

Agreed. We'll see how they adapt the offense to fit the guys they have. I think we all understand that Tommy is not a pro-style quarterback who you really want to stand back there and make 4 reads.

I just hope they'll either name a different starter if somebody else does it better, or call plays that fit what Armstrong does well. Don't turn it into Joe Dailey and the WCO where the kid is just doomed to fail.

I was hopeful that the new coaching staff would be able to develop Tommy, but I'm starting to doubt it. Granted, we're talking about 6 practices, so I'm not willing to throw in the towel quite yet. I just think the several accolades being paid on Bush lead me to believe they are prepping the fans for the possibility of a change.

In all levels of football, turnovers are game changers and when you lose the turnover battle, it has a huge impact on the likelihood of winning a game. Because these coaches are a little more experienced than the previous staff, I'm sure they don't look at turnovers lightly.

The reality is, Tommy was a bit of a turnover machine last season. I love the guy, and his moxy and leadership, but I'm afraid when he told the announcers of a game last season that he's a running back who sometimes throws the ball, that he was maybe a little too honest.

I would believe Tommy is still the leader as of now, but I won't be surprised if he is unseated by the time the season kicks off.

Originally posted by chicolby:

The reality is, Tommy was a bit of a turnover machine last season. I love the guy, and his moxy and leadership, but I'm afraid when he told the announcers of a game last season that he's a running back who sometimes throws the ball, that he was maybe a little too honest.
Whoa I don't remember that quote. Do you remember when he said it?

It is wide open and I would not count out any QB at this point.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:

Agreed. We'll see how they adapt the offense to fit the guys they have. I think we all understand that Tommy is not a pro-style quarterback who you really want to stand back there and make 4 reads.

I just hope they'll either name a different starter if somebody else does it better, or call plays that fit what Armstrong does well. Don't turn it into Joe Dailey and the WCO where the kid is just doomed to fail.

Can somebody please tell me what he does well? I have seen things like "good leader", "moxy", 'fierce competitor" used to describe him, but all I want to know is can he play QB at a high enough level to take snaps at Nebraska? Seems like everybody is giving him a ton of slack, and lots of those same people piled on Taylor Martinez, who at this point in both of their career's, is ten times the QB TA is.

Originally posted by scorcher2:
The old staff wasn't worried about shit. TA was playing no matter what. BO BO and his staff "ride or died" with their QBs.
They were so worried about TA passing over the middle (INT prone) that they basically stripped those plays out of the playbook.

I didn't mean to imply that they were going to play another QB, cause you are right about that, no one else was going to get a shot.

I don't get the comments on his leadership to be honest.

Tommy may be the alpha 'personality' out there, but I don't see any leadership whatsoever.

When the team was rattled, centers snapping the ball when not expected, receivers running wrong routes (so we were told) and the team clearly having issues, I didn't see a guy that took ownership and calmed his teammates down, instead i saw a can of krylon out there. Tmart was even worse from a leadership perspective, but I don't really see this 'leadership' from TA that people seem to speak of so frequently.

This post was edited on 3/17 12:35 PM by NikkiSixx

TA throws a pretty darned nice deep ball and he's probably the best QB we have running the option. Riley likes to stretch the field vertically but you still have to be able to read the D. We'll see who emerges as the starting QB this fall. Its GREAT to have a true QB competition.

Originally posted by scorcher2:
They were so worried about TA passing over the middle (INT prone) that they basically stripped those plays out of the playbook.

I didn't mean to imply that they were going to play another QB, cause you are right about that, no one else was going to get a shot.

I don't get the comments on his leadership to be honest.

Tommy may be the alpha 'personality' out there, but I don't see any leadership whatsoever.

When the team was rattled, centers snapping the ball when not expected, receivers running wrong routes (so we were told) and the team clearly having issues, I didn't see a guy that took ownership and calmed his teammates down, instead i saw a can of krylon out there. Tmart was even worse from a leadership perspective, but I don't really see this 'leadership' from TA that people seem to speak of so frequently.

This post was edited on 3/17 12:35 PM by NikkiSixx
Oddly, the players, the previous staff and the new staff do see the leadership.

Originally posted by chicolby:
I was hopeful that the new coaching staff would be able to develop Tommy, but I'm starting to doubt it. Granted, we're talking about 6 practices, so I'm not willing to throw in the towel quite yet. I just think the several accolades being paid on Bush lead me to believe they are prepping the fans for the possibility of a change.

In all levels of football, turnovers are game changers and when you lose the turnover battle, it has a huge impact on the likelihood of winning a game. Because these coaches are a little more experienced than the previous staff, I'm sure they don't look at turnovers lightly.

I would believe Tommy is still the leader as of now, but I won't be surprised if he is unseated by the time the season kicks off.
I listened to the Severe interview of Gerry DiNardo. They specifically spoke about Bush, Severe did bring up Bush so it wasn't like it came out of nowhere. DiNardo was impressed by Bush. Is Bush one of the leading contenders, it certainly is sounding that way to me as well.

Can somebody please tell me what he does well? I have seen things like "good leader", "moxy", 'fierce competitor" used to describe him, but all I want to know is can he play QB at a high enough level to take snaps at Nebraska? Seems like everybody is giving him a ton of slack, and lots of those same people piled on Taylor Martinez, who at this point in both of their career's, is ten times the QB TA is.
IMO his best skills are as a run-first player. He makes better decisions executing the option game than you saw out of Martinez. He throws a nice deep ball.

I think the arm talent is there with T.A. but he needs a coach who can get him to stay mechanically sound when he needs to be. He also needs the viable threat of a run to be at his most effective, IMO.

As I said, he's not a pro-style quarterback. The question is this: Does Tommy in a hybridized offense give NU the best chance to win in 2015?

I'm not hopping on the A.J. Bush bandwagon. For those of you who are crowning him the next starter, let me throw out a name for you:

LaTravis Washington.

Maybe the kid will emerge, but don't bet the farm on it. Spring ball is the time for bold predictions on the next great player, and articles on what a great job everyone is doing. Most of it never comes to fruition.

IMO his best skills are as a run-first player. He makes better decisions executing the option game than you saw out of Martinez. He throws a nice deep ball.

I think the arm talent is there with T.A. but he needs a coach who can get him to stay mechanically sound when he needs to be. He also needs the viable threat of a run to be at his most effective, IMO.

As I said, he's not a pro-style quarterback. The question is this: Does Tommy in a hybridized offense give NU the best chance to win in 2015?

I'm not hopping on the A.J. Bush bandwagon. For those of you who are crowning him the next starter, let me throw out a name for you:

LaTravis Washington.

Maybe the kid will emerge, but don't bet the farm on it. Spring ball is the time for bold predictions on the next great player, and articles on what a great job everyone is doing. Most of it never comes to fruition.
Here we go again, I think MR will have to darn near abandon his entire offense and run what the staff did last year, or Solich's offense for TA to be the starter. I have the kool aid hope that Bush or Stanton turn out to be good.

TA is going up against the first team, the other QBs not so much.

One reporter stated, it would take 10 more practices like that for Stanton to overcome TA.

Riley has also stated the the depth chart won't be determined til fall.

For any board lurker preparing to lash out if Nebraska struggles this year - please read this thread thoroughly. The shift in culture is a positive, but barring a miracle, we are going to struggle some this year. If we give this coaching staff the chance it deserves, we should be in for great things down the road.

Can we please stop talking about TM. That cancer is long gone. I know you don't like TA, but I'll take him any day over T-Ragic. Talk about someone who wilted under pressure. TA may not be a pro-style QB, but neither was TM. Hell, TM wasn't much of a QB period. He would have made a better slot receiver. TA has strong leadership qualities. It's night and day vs his predecessor. It's a matter if the new staff can actually coach him and improve his fundamentals. I'm sure you gave ol' arm punt a lot of passes as he vainly tried to improve his crappy mechanics. Let's see of you can get off TA's nuts long enough to see what the new staff can do with him. If there's a better option I hope that the staff goes with that. In the meantime, if TA is the best then you're just going to have to live with it. We all had to endure TM for all those years I think you can see how this whole thing pans out.
This post was edited on 3/17 4:10 PM by bigboxes

I rooted HARD for Martinez, and have done/will do the same for Armstrong or whoever proves to be a better option.

wasn't being a smart alek, and I stated the truth. TM was 10 times the QB TA is, and did you ever defend him they way you are with TA now? TM got killed on this board, and he was a better QB who won All B1G, I never understood the beating he took and see no harm it pointing out the weirdness to me in regards to the accolades TA receives on this very board, that hated TM. I asked an honest question, and got a few good responses. Didn't agree with them, but appreciated the friendly response nonetheless.

Sure did hear a lot last year about how great Ryker allegedly looked in practice, what a great ball he throws.

Sorta like what you heard about Armstrong when he was on the scout team.

It's almost like you need to take the QB conversations with a grain of salt.....

Sure did hear a lot last year about how great Ryker allegedly looked in practice, what a great ball he throws.

Sorta like what you heard about Armstrong when he was on the scout team.

It's almost like you need to take the QB conversations with a grain of salt.....
Still a ton of time before the lights come on this fall, but I do find it interesting that we are hearing a *ton* less about Fyfe now that we have 2 real QB coaches on campus.

Folks felt Pelini was giving Fyfe the shaft last year, but by comparison to right now, having him at #2 Pelini may have been giving him a ton of benefit of the doubt.
This post was edited on 3/17 3:39 PM by jflores

I'd have to do some memory voo-doo to remember when he said it, but it was around a big football game, because I remember the announcers talking about it with a lot of surprise. Maybe it was the Miami game when we had the A-team announcers for ABC. I wish I could remember, but it caught me off guard as well.

It was alluded to in a OWH article: In the midst of his sophomore season at Nebraska, Tommy Armstrong referred to Husker quarterbacks as "throwing running backs."

Anyway, when he said it (at least according to whichever announcer repeated it several times), I cringed because it sounded as though he was almost proud of it, but maybe the context was that he was forced to play like a running back and he would rather be more of a pure QB. I don't believe I ever heard him say it directly, but the announcer was forwarding the conversation he had with Tommy.

OWH Article "Throwing Running Backs"

So how did the 3rd qb for tOSU do in their last 3 games? He who surely got spoken of in the negative also; before going AA and all.

wasn't being a smart alek, and I stated the truth. TM was 10 times the QB TA is, and did you ever defend him they way you are with TA now? TM got killed on this board, and he was a better QB who won All B1G, I never understood the beating he took and see no harm it pointing out the weirdness to me in regards to the accolades TA receives on this very board, that hated TM. I asked an honest question, and got a few good responses. Didn't agree with them, but appreciated the friendly response nonetheless.
bingo. with some people, it is personal with TM3 is the real answer why.

Originally posted by bigboxes:

Can we please stop talking about TM. That cancer is long gone. I know you don't like TA, but I'll take him any day over T-Ragic. Talk about someone who wilted under pressure. TA may not be a pro-style QB, but neither was TM. Hell, TM wasn't much of a QB period. He would have made a better slot receiver. TA has strong leadership qualities. It's night and day vs his predecessor. It's a matter if the new staff can actually coach him and improve his fundamentals. I'm sure you gave ol' arm punt a lot of passes as he vainly tried to improve his crappy mechanics. Let's see of you can get off TA's nuts long enough to see what the new staff can do with him. If there's a better option I hope that the staff goes with that. In the meantime, if TA is the best then you're just going to have to live with it. We all had to endure TM for all those years I think you can see how this whole thing pans out.
This post was edited on 3/17 4:10 PM by bigboxes
Wow, 10 times?

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:

bingo. with some people, it is personal with TM3 is the real answer why.
The negative with TMart seems to mostly be from folks who, for whatever reason, didn't like the cut of his jib. And aspects of TMs game were up to criticism. But the dude won games and stepped up big at times. In a few games his junior year he was THE difference in whether we won or not. Had we had any kind of D in the CCG against the Badgers, TMart was good enough to win that game. Obviously he wilted in a few Games. I see Tommy at the same level, with different pluses and minuses to his game. A better leader by all accounts, but less of a guy who could just conjure up a big play. Until Tommy is an all-conference player and gets us to the B1G title game, Tmart gets the nod as the better of the two. Both are middling in the pantheon of Husker QBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT