ADVERTISEMENT

Any insight on who is in the lead at QB

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:
Personally, it does not sound to me like any of the QB's are distinguishing themselves as quarterbacks capable of running the offense Riley wants to run. I hope Riley does not try to fit a square peg into a round hole like Callahan did. From what I have read he won't so that means we may not see a true Riley offense until he is able to recruit his kind of guy or coach one of these guys up into it.

As it stands now it is still very early in the process but it does make me worry about the status of our offense for the Fall.
I don't think I'm hearing the same thing you are. I think they are capable but it is going to take time. Bush has gotten plenty of compliments in particular from the media and Riley. Tommy has to learn better habits and that is going to take more than 7 or 8 practices.

I know when I rewatch this highlight all I can think of is how similar Armstrong and TFraiz are. No doubt. Good thing Fraiz had that amazing defense helping him out on this run or this would have never worked.

Greatest run ever...

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

I know when I rewatch this highlight all I can think of is how similar Armstrong and TFraiz are. No doubt. Good thing Fraiz had that amazing defense helping him out on this run or this would have never worked.
I don't even have to click on the link to be able to see the run. Their defenders were trying to strip the ball holding him up and he shook them off and ran for a TD. Yaaaaaawwwwnnnn. I was there sitting a few seats from Pat O'Brien.

This post was edited on 3/19 1:39 PM by dinglefritz

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Originally posted by Mr.Scary13:
I can't honestly believe I just read posts comparing Armstrong and Frazier. The fan base has become delusional....
Sorry. I've been watching Husker football since before Jerry Tagge. Husker fans love TF because he won championships. That's great. As usual the QB gets too much blame when things go bad and too much credit when things go well. TF was a very good QB surrounded by tremendous talent and coaching. We haven't had tremendous coaching since Tom and Charlie retired and our defensive coaching has been atrocious at times. TF had one of the best defenses and coaching staffs in CFB history. Period. Without that he would have lost a lot of games.

This post was edited on 3/19 12:58 PM by dinglefritz
Do some research and find out the teams Nebraska beat out to land TF and then look back at the recruiting race for TA. There's a reason Nebraska became dominant when Frazier took the reigns....he was a flat out stud. TF would have probably killed half the guys on the squad last year for piss poor play, preparation, etc... TA wouldn't have even made the team as a QB in those years. Get a grip...

Originally posted by Mr.Scary13: Do some research and find out the teams Nebraska beat out to land TF and then look back at the recruiting race for TA. There's a reason Nebraska became dominant when Frazier took the reigns....he was a flat out stud. TF would have probably killed half the guys on the squad last year for piss poor play, preparation, etc... TA wouldn't have even made the team as a QB in those years. Get a grip...
Yep and TF ate nails every morning and crapped bolts with lock nuts that night. Hell he even stopped freight trains about to run over little puppies. Get a grip yourself. Tommie Frazier got beat by Iowa State. We didn't get good just because he walked on the field. We won without Tommie. Hell we even won with Matt Turman. You're nuts if you think TA wouldn't have beat out Matt Turman to "make the roster". Tommie was a very good QB but your hero worship is ridiculous. He wasn't God.

roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Mr.Scary13:
Do some research and find out the teams Nebraska beat out to land TF and then look back at the recruiting race for TA. There's a reason Nebraska became dominant when Frazier took the reigns....he was a flat out stud. TF would have probably killed half the guys on the squad last year for piss poor play, preparation, etc... TA wouldn't have even made the team as a QB in those years. Get a grip...
Yep and TF ate nails every morning and crapped bolts with lock nuts that night. Hell he even stopped freight trains about to run over little puppies. Get a grip yourself. Tommie Frazier got beat by Iowa State. We didn't get good just because he walked on the field. We won without Tommie. Hell we even won with Matt Turman. You're nuts if you think TA wouldn't have beat out Matt Turman to "make the roster". Tommie was a very good QB but your hero worship is ridiculous. He wasn't God.
Maybe not. But those championship teams had a whole different mentality. Relentless preparation, work ethic, etc.

Originally posted by kchu5ker555:
Maybe not. But those championship teams had a whole different mentality. Relentless preparation, work ethic, etc.
Key word being TEAM. I agree completely with your statement. Tommie got way too much credit for those trophies. We won games with 2 QBs during that run not named Tommie.

Originally posted by kchu5ker555:

Key word being TEAM. I agree completely with your statement. Tommie got way too much credit for those trophies. We won games with 2 QBs during that run not named Tommie.
In the 94 Title game, I've heard folks give a lot of credit to Berringer getting us on the board before half. Not that Tommie didn't play well generally, but that game probably has a totally different feel if we go into the locker room skunked on their home turf. Team effort.

I knew Tommie Frazier. Tommie Frazier was a friend of mine. And Tommy Armstrong is no Tommie Frazier.

He can get better...he might lead us to some good wins. But if anyone thinks his skill set is anywhere close to Frazier's they don't know football.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
I knew Tommie Frazier. Tommie Frazier was a friend of mine. And Tommy Armstrong is no Tommie Frazier.

He can get better...he might lead us to some good wins. But if anyone thinks his skill set is anywhere close to Frazier's they don't know football.
So knowing Tommie makes you qualified as the final judge of a QB's skill set? Well at least we know your bias. Obviously you've forgotten the balls delivered to the ankles of our receivers by Tommie.
laugh.r191677.gif
I knew Turner Gill and that doesn't mean squat.

So knowing Tommie makes you qualified as the final judge of a QB's skill set? Well at least we know your bias. Obviously you've forgotten the balls delivered to the ankles of our receivers by Tommie.
laugh.r191677.gif
No...since you are so politically astute, think Jack Kennedy and Dan Quayle.

laugh.r191677.gif
No...since you are so politically astute, think Jack Kennedy and Dan Quayle.
Sooooooo Tommie cheats on his wife too? Is that your point? Wow. You're really reaching now Tom. You can come up with a better troll than that.

Tommie Frazier was the MVP of 3 National Title games, an All-American, and runner up in the Heisman trophy. Tommy Armstrong can't even get B1G honorable mention, there is no comparison here. TA will lose his starting spot at some point before he graduates. If he doesn't lose it this year he will next year. My money is on AJ Bush eventually becoming the starter.

So, getting back to the topic at hand, how can Fyfe be the odd man out when he has the skill set of Berringer?

Originally posted by TheNewNU:
Tommie Frazier was the MVP of 3 National Title games, an All-American, and runner up in the Heisman trophy. Tommy Armstrong can't even get B1G honorable mention, there is no comparison here. TA will lose his starting spot at some point before he graduates. If he doesn't lose it this year he will next year. My money is on AJ Bush eventually becoming the starter.
I repeat. The QB gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things don't. We won games without TF. We killed Florida in the Fiesta Bowl largely because of our offensive line and our defense. They have to give MVPs to one guy. If not, I would have given those MVPs ALL of those years to our offensive lines and defenses. TF was a very good QB but his skills as a passer were limited. IF TA had that same kind of talent and coaching around him last year, we would be very very happy fans right now. Continue the hero worship. Tebow won titles. What kind of QB was he? Limited at best.

Tim Tebow as a college quarterback was "limited at best."
rolleyes.r191677.gif

He threw for right at 3000 yards a year his last three years
He completed 66 percent of his passes in his career
He averaged 800 yards rushing his last three years
He won every quarterback award imaginable

Just. Stop. Digging.

Ok, so we have what I THOUGHT were the two best QB's that ever played the college game in Fraiz and Tebow. My bad, they were just good, one was even limited at best. So I have to know, exactly who are your top 2 college QB's in the last say...15-20 years. Seriously, I need to see this list. I thought I had watched a lot of CFB and had a pretty good grasp on who the badasses were, apparently I missed a couple guy who were better than Fraiz and Tebow. Would you mind sharing with me who they were so I can go back and look into them?

Defcon 7, I think my head might actually explode from all the stupidity...
I'm guessing you don't know that Defcon 1 is the maximum state of readiness, while Defcon 5 is the "normal" (lowest) state of readiness.

People need to remember that it's possible to support/defend someone without dissing someone else

Ok, so we have what I THOUGHT were the two best QB's that ever played the college game in Fraiz and Tebow. My bad, they were just good, one was even limited at best. So I have to know, exactly who are your top 2 college QB's in the last say...15-20 years. Seriously, I need to see this list. I thought I had watched a lot of CFB and had a pretty good grasp on who the badasses were, apparently I missed a couple guy who were better than Fraiz and Tebow. Would you mind sharing with me who they were so I can go back and look into them?
My list for the past 15-20 years

Vince Young
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Johnny Manzel
Peyton Manning

Honorable Mentions: Cam Newton, Robert Griffen III Tim Tebow and Jameis Winston

Originally posted by big red22:

Vince Young
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Johnny Manzel
Peyton Manning

Cool. So any of these guys in the lead at QB at Nebraska at the moment? Just curious since thats the thread is supposed to be about and all.

What's the problem here, specifically?

Do we not have a QB competition going on?

Something that hasn't happened here in way, way, way too long?

Should we not be happy about that?

And how do TFrasier's strengths or shortcomings matter one bit in 2015?

Is there any reason to think that the best QB on the roster was ever not the starter? No.

Tommie never gets to those national title games without Berringer and Turman. Tommie never gets to QB a win in those games without maybe the best offensive line in the history of college football. He didn't do anything in that last game until Sapp and the rest of his hommies were completely gassed. I repeat. QBs get WAY too much credit when things go well.

rolleyes.r191677.gif

Just. Stop. Digging.
You're right Tom. Tebow is a great QB. His passing skills were and are amazing. Why, I'm surprised with his passing prowess that he hasn't won several Super Bowls by now.
laugh.r191677.gif
Oh wait, maybe you CAN have a limited skill set and still win college football games IF you have a great team and coaches around you.

rolleyes.r191677.gif

Just. Stop. Digging.
You're right Tom. Tebow is a great QB. His passing skills were and are amazing. Why, I'm surprised with his passing prowess that he hasn't won several Super Bowls by now.
laugh.r191677.gif
Oh wait, maybe you CAN have a limited skill set and still win college football games IF you have a great team and coaches around you.
I guess all those voters who voted for him for all of those awards knew far less than you. The guy completed nearly 70% of his passes in the SEC. He was a tough runner. And he was a winner. Did that translate to the NFL game? No...but this discussion has been about college quarterbacks and specifically whether our guys have the skill sets of some of these guys.

Tommie never gets to those national title games without Berringer and Turman. Tommie never gets to QB a win in those games without maybe the best offensive line in the history of college football. He didn't do anything in that last game until Sapp and the rest of his hommies were completely gassed. I repeat. QBs get WAY too much credit when things go well.
Berringer and Turman did nothing in 93 or 95. tommie had his flaws, but you're just being silly now.

Originally posted by cubsker:

Berringer and Turman did nothing in 93 or 95. tommie had his flaws, but you're just being silly now.
You better check your information on Berringer.

Originally posted by cubsker:

You better check your information on Berringer.
Berringer stats: link

I agree with you that Nebraska never wins either the 94 or 95 national title without Berringer, but keep in mind had he not died days before the draft he likely would have been a 3rd round pick, He was a stud just like TF. If Turman played that whole 94 season they'd have won maybe 9 games, he played a half during Kansas State and Berringer had to come in and save the day.QB play is critical to a team's success. There is a reason QBs are the highest paid position in the NFL, you need at least a very good one to have a great amount of success.

I agree with you that Nebraska never wins either the 94 or 95 national title without Berringer, but keep in mind had he not died days before the draft he likely would have been a 3rd round pick, He was a stud just like TF. If Turman played that whole 94 season they'd have won maybe 9 games, he played a half during Kansas State and Berringer had to come in and save the day.QB play is critical to a team's success. There is a reason QBs are the highest paid position in the NFL, you need at least a very good one to have a great amount of success.
actually cubsker is partly correct. Berringer's contributions were statistically minor his sophomore and senior years. I still doubt we would have gotten to those title games without his contribution. We most certainly would have lost to Miami without Berringer. Obviously QB is important. My point was and is that you can have holes in your game (as Frazier did) and still win championships IF you have a great team around you like Tommie did. Back to the original point. TA's SKILL SET is very similar to what TF's was.

Vince Young
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Johnny Manzel
Peyton Manning

Just answering the guys question. I know that no one else would have. Litespeed wasn't even talking to me

Vince Young
Andrew Luck
Russell Wilson
Johnny Manzel
Peyton Manning

Just answering the guys question. I know that no one else would have. Litespeed wasn't even talking to me
Russell Wilson and Peyton Manning were good college quarterbacks. They do not deserve mention as being the greatest...and none of our qbs have their skill set.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT