ADVERTISEMENT

Any insight on who is in the lead at QB

Taylor was all conference for ability to break long runs. You arent going to win conference titles with Martinez level lack of ball security. He negated any positive step he took as a QB.

Originally posted by steelclaw:
Taylor was all conference for ability to break long runs. You arent going to win conference titles with Martinez level lack of ball security. He negated any positive step he took as a QB.
Correct for the most part. But TMart was good enough to win against Wisky in 2012 had we had anything that resembled a defense.

I think its pretty safe to say that there won't be any de-throning of TA until at least fall camp, and probably not even until the non-con is over, if TA is going to be dethroned.

Riley pretty much told the media, he's not interested in a depth chart until at least the fall, and if its at all close, I would expect one other QB to get live snaps game time to see who he's going to ride with this year.

2 seasons as a starter and you get picked off 3 times in one setting by a freshman DB that has never played a live game

tumblr_n6ikdgDdd01sux59mo1_400.jpg

Fun thread, here are some things:

1. Don't expect any QB details until 2nd week of Fall camp.

2. Comparing AJ Bush to LaTravis Washington is like comparing Maliek Collins to Jay Guy. There is a drastic difference in attitude, effort, arm strength, speed, and athleticsm. LW can't even hold Bushs jock while running the football. Bush runs like Terrel Pryor with a Logan Thomas type arm.

3. Judging any QB after a week of Spring practice in a brand New scheme is a bit silly.

4. There are 2 things Riley and Langsdorf want in their passing game: Ability to go vertical and quick release and accuracy on the perimeter with the intention of getting fast wideouts the football in space. That favors Bush.

5. Nebraska will not struggle half as much as some people think in 2014. Langsdorf and Riley will never try to insert square pegs into round holes. Nebraska has plenty of talent on offense. This isn't Cory Ross, a 65% Matt Herrian, and Joe Dailey running the West coast offense with Option oriented linemen.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
Fun thread, here are some things:

1. Don't expect any QB details until 2nd week of Fall camp.

2. Comparing AJ Bush to LaTravis Washington is like comparing Maliek Collins to Jay Guy. There is a drastic difference in attitude, effort, arm strength, speed, and athleticsm. LW can't even hold Bushs jock while running the football. Bush runs like Terrel Pryor with a Logan Thomas type arm.

3. Judging any QB after a week of Spring practice in a brand New scheme is a bit silly.

4. There are 2 things Riley and Langsdorf want in their passing game: Ability to go vertical and quick release and accuracy on the perimeter with the intention of getting fast wideouts the football in space. That favors Bush.

5. Nebraska will not struggle half as much as some people think in 2014. Langsdorf and Riley will never try to insert square pegs into round holes. Nebraska has plenty of talent on offense. This isn't Cory Ross, a 65% Matt Herrian, and Joe Dailey running the West coast offense with Option oriented linemen.
Indeed. Even if Riley had designs on straight up pushing TA aside, I really don't think he'd make a move until Bush had over a significant amount of time, demonstrated fully to players and coaches that's he's the guy now taking #1 reps by default.

Riley made a big to do about TA having a commanding presence on the team, and the team responding well to his leadership and wanting to play well for him. I highly doubt a few days into Riley's tenure, he's going to back burner TA over "potential" or a handful of throws. There has to be a fade in and a fade out.

This post was edited on 3/17 6:34 PM by jflores

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:
Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

wasn't being a smart alek, and I stated the truth. TM was 10 times the QB TA is, and did you ever defend him they way you are with TA now? TM got killed on this board, and he was a better QB who won All B1G, I never understood the beating he took and see no harm it pointing out the weirdness to me in regards to the accolades TA receives on this very board, that hated TM. I asked an honest question, and got a few good responses. Didn't agree with them, but appreciated the friendly response nonetheless.
bingo. with some people, it is personal with TM3 is the real answer why.
I seriously don't get it. He was no Tommy Frazier or Turner Gill or Scott Frost. But the kid was a good player who ended up all conference. We had people screaming for the backups only to find out they really stunk.

Two guys who deserved better by our fan base was Jamaal Lord and Tmart.

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:

wasn't being a smart alek, and I stated the truth. TM was 10 times the QB TA is, and did you ever defend him they way you are with TA now? TM got killed on this board, and he was a better QB who won All B1G, I never understood the beating he took and see no harm it pointing out the weirdness to me in regards to the accolades TA receives on this very board, that hated TM. I asked an honest question, and got a few good responses. Didn't agree with them, but appreciated the friendly response nonetheless.
bingo. with some people, it is personal with TM3 is the real answer why.
I seriously don't get it. He was no Tommy Frazier or Turner Gill or Scott Frost. But the kid was a good player who ended up all conference. We had people screaming for the backups only to find out they really stunk.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
Puleeze. Two guys who should've been cut. I'll always love their effort, just not them. They had a lot of talent in their legs. However, they both were lacking in the leadership department. Another negative would be their crappy head coaches who recruited/elevated them to their position on the first place. Jamaal Lord was just like T-Ragic in that they would get a lot of their passing yardage on the occasional long ball. Otherwise, their passing mechanics were g-damn awful. They could run, but as soon as the opponents figured out their "game" it was all over for NU. It wasn't all their fault as their head coaches couldn't recruit to keep their job (see how I made a joke out of their deficiencies). TT, you really don't know what you are talking about. Please, just turn off your internet connection.

Jamaal Lord is one of my heroes. He was put into a position where he had to take a beating in that offense; he manned up. I think he had a tendency to throw the ball a little late on a couple spot patterns; other than that he really matched up - and he is not the first qb to need a little more coaching in anticipation. He led by example, I feel in another situation, we could have done more to realize his potential. But he brought his lunch pail; I would so wince, watching him take on 2-3 guys ; put in a situation where he had too...
TM WAS amazing. Until teams became efficient at knees hips and feet , he was pretty unstoppable. When did he stop going to camps or outside coaching to get better? Going to outside coaching to make out qb better / do you think this is where our AD got the idea? I have seen some top posters defend him; saying we had coaching issues involved also. Try to remember; there was no " N press machine" ; that generated him early Heisman talk. However, whoever; sometimes things don't work out as we would like. No doubt I complain and complained: but when he was on, who could have left him on the bench ? He did his duty and if all on a team tried as hard to Max their ability; well , that would be one heck of a team imo. GBR; I thank these players.

Originally posted by bigboxes:
Puleeze. Two guys who should've been cut. I'll always love their effort, just not them. They had a lot of talent in their legs. However, they both were lacking in the leadership department. Another negative would be their crappy head coaches who recruited/elevated them to their position on the first place. Jamaal Lord was just like T-Ragic in that they would get a lot of their passing yardage on the occasional long ball. Otherwise, their passing mechanics were g-damn awful. They could run, but as soon as the opponents figured out their "game" it was all over for NU. It wasn't all their fault as their head coaches couldn't recruit to keep their job (see how I made a joke out of their deficiencies). TT, you really don't know what you are talking about. Please, just turn off your internet connection.
I don't see the need to disparage either of them. They both played tough and tried their best to win games. And they both had talent.

Originally posted by phoenix4nu:
I don't see the need to disparage either of them. They both played tough and tried their best to win games. And they both had talent.
I will always love them for their effort. However, I always felt they were mismatched for their position and blame their head coaches for recruiting them in the first place.

Lord and TM weren't the greatest QB's to ever lace them up, but I'm having a real hard time convincing myself that I really wanted to live through 4 years of Cody Green or insert other "even less talented hack" here.

This post was edited on 3/17 10:33 PM by jflores

Originally posted by jflores:

Lord and TM weren't the greatest QB's to ever lace them up, but I'm having a real hard time convincing myself that I really wanted to live through 4 years of Cody Green or insert other "even less talented hack" here.
Again, I blame the head coach for the recruiting of them and their competition. It's sad that they were the "best" at their position at NU. I'd rather seen Cody Green go down in flames then watch another "that's the best we've got" with Taylor Martinez.

Again, I blame the head coach for the recruiting of them and their competition. It's sad that they were the "best" at their position at NU. I'd rather seen Cody Green go down in flames then watch another "that's the best we've got" with Taylor Martinez.
Well, Green was a 4* out of Texas, and for all the fan base knew, he could have been Joe Montana Jr or TM Jr. We're facing the same situation with TA now, a much ballyhooed recruit who isn't living up to fan expectation and we're hoping a couple of nice throws out of Bush or "Elite 11" out of JS will be the future.

After pulling my heart off the floor in the ISU game where I wasn't sure Green could take a snap successfully, I was rather thankful for whatever skillset TM could bring to bear when he came back off of injury. I can think of a lot of guys who can play for 4 years, and not come close to the records he set, so there are certainly worse.

Certainly would agree, the staffs should have recruited better, but that's no reason me to blame TM or JL for the personnel situation. They did pretty good, given the situation.

I think in general, one could make the argument that on paper, NU's QB recruiting hasn't been too bad over the years. What football god did we piss off that

Curt Dukes
Harrison Beck
Sam Keller
Cody Green
Brion Carnes

and in the future potentially Stanton and Armstrong don't quite pan out like we thought they would. There's the better part of 15 years of touted, talented QB's that didn't do jack squizzle at NU, although Bo's crop still have a couple years to prove themselves and will likely be the best of the bunch.

The 2 best QB's we've had, were a 2 star in Ganz and a JC transfer in Zack Taylor at 3 stars. Not the guys we fans thought we'd be making hay with.

Certainly would agree, the staffs should have recruited better, but that's no reason me to blame TM or JL for the personnel situation. They did pretty good, given the situation.
I'm not blaming TM or JL. I'm just saying they weren't that good and I blame the staff that was in charge of recruiting and player development. It was an era(s) of disappointment.

There is some myopia going on here. Tommy Armstrong, while mistake prone and far from perfect, is still 15-5 as a starter with over 6,000 total yards and 50 tds. Curt Dukes he is not.

There is some myopia going on here. Tommy Armstrong, while mistake prone and far from perfect, is still 15-5 as a starter with over 6,000 total yards and 50 tds. Curt Dukes he is not.
Thank you.

It's always fun to read threads like these to find out which "fans" are getting their spring/summer workouts in jumping to conclusions and assumptions. Pathetic.

Pathetic? Isn't part of the fun of being a huge fan of a

team speculating how young player's careers will pan out?

Re: Pathetic? Isn't part of the fun of being a huge fan of a

Cornicator dragging his nutz across the potatoes vis a vis AJ Bush.

Solid work again dude
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: Pathetic? Isn't part of the fun of being a huge fan of a

Originally posted by Huskers_Rule:
team speculating how young player's careers will pan out?
No. After 6 spring practices with a new staff that is called stupidity.

This may sound heresy to some, but the guy Tommy Armstrong most reminds me of in his skill set and performance is Tommie Frazier. Tommie Frazier given the same defense we've put on the field (and I don't mean talent level) and the same offense that TA has had to work with would have probably had similar results. Our problems these past few years were NOT the QB. He made mistakes sure and he wasn't the best passer. I've got news. Tommie Frazier made mistakes and wasn't a very accurate passer either. They both were/are great at running the traditional option. The difference is that Tommie Frazier had a phenomenal team and coaches (head coach and DC specifically) around him. TA hasn't had that same luxury. Tommy Armstrong on those championship teams IMO would have been able to do very similar things to Tommie Frazier. It's all about timing and perspective. JMHO>

I think in general, one could make the argument that on paper, NU's QB recruiting hasn't been too bad over the years. What football god did we piss off that

Curt Dukes
Harrison Beck
Sam Keller
Cody Green
Brion Carnes

and in the future potentially Stanton and Armstrong don't quite pan out like we thought they would. There's the better part of 15 years of touted, talented QB's that didn't do jack squizzle at NU, although Bo's crop still have a couple years to prove themselves and will likely be the best of the bunch.

The 2 best QB's we've had, were a 2 star in Ganz and a JC transfer in Zack Taylor at 3 stars. Not the guys we fans thought we'd be making hay with.
You can add two 4* players that turned pro baseball and LaTravis Washington to the 4* list of QBs that committed to NU.

Ummmmmmm...You have made some dumb comments before but this one may take the cake. An all-conference first team quarterback should be cut?

Opponents figured out TMart's game? In TMagic's junior season he threw for over 2800 yards and rushed for over a 1000. (Plus, unlike Crouch, he didn't have to hog the ball because our top two tailbacks also rushed for 1800 yards.)

Yeah, I know facts again.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

You know who else was 15-5 during that time? Bo freaking Pelini. Proof that numbers can and do lie.

You know who else was 15-5 during that time? Bo freaking Pelini. Proof that numbers can and do lie.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:
6000K yards....50 touchdowns....where are you getting these made up stats?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Ha... Sorry about that. I was adding some Kellog's 2013 stats on accident.

Its 4500 yards and 40 TDS in 20 career starts.... But it still enforces my point. The dude doesn't deserve to be grouped with guys like Curt Dukes. That comparison is absurd.

Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
I think sometimes people don't understand what leadership means.
I wonder if it's possible it could mean different things to different people?

Curt Dukes
Harrison Beck
Sam Keller
Cody Green
Brion Carnes

This post really bugs me. Im bugged because I dont really care about trying to defend Tommy Armstrong. I too believe Nebraska can do better or Tommy must get much better.

However, the comparison to above QBs bugs me more. Tommy has already done way more than all those above QBs combined. To suggest he's in the same ball park is ridiculous. He's a good football player. He has some limitations, but comparing him to Harrison Beck, Dukes, or even Sam Keller is idiotic.

Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
I think sometimes people don't understand what leadership means.
I wonder if it's possible it could mean different things to different people?
I think you are right about that.

Originally posted by NikkiSixx:

Originally posted by scorcher2:
The old staff wasn't worried about shit. TA was playing no matter what. BO BO and his staff "ride or died" with their QBs.
They were so worried about TA passing over the middle (INT prone) that they basically stripped those plays out of the playbook.

I didn't mean to imply that they were going to play another QB, cause you are right about that, no one else was going to get a shot.

I don't get the comments on his leadership to be honest.

Tommy may be the alpha 'personality' out there, but I don't see any leadership whatsoever.

When the team was rattled, centers snapping the ball when not expected, receivers running wrong routes (so we were told) and the team clearly having issues, I didn't see a guy that took ownership and calmed his teammates down, instead i saw a can of krylon out there. Tmart was even worse from a leadership perspective, but I don't really see this 'leadership' from TA that people seem to speak of so frequently.

This post was edited on 3/17 12:35 PM by NikkiSixx
OMG, from afar you can tell if he has leadership? The kid was a redshirt freshman last year. Aren't too many Tommie Frasier types that command respect from upper classmen.

Totally agree.

Originally posted by Grumpysker:
Originally posted by NikkiSixx:

Originally posted by scorcher2:
The old staff wasn't worried about shit. TA was playing no matter what. BO BO and his staff "ride or died" with their QBs.
They were so worried about TA passing over the middle (INT prone) that they basically stripped those plays out of the playbook.

I didn't mean to imply that they were going to play another QB, cause you are right about that, no one else was going to get a shot.

I don't get the comments on his leadership to be honest.

Tommy may be the alpha 'personality' out there, but I don't see any leadership whatsoever.

When the team was rattled, centers snapping the ball when not expected, receivers running wrong routes (so we were told) and the team clearly having issues, I didn't see a guy that took ownership and calmed his teammates down, instead i saw a can of krylon out there. Tmart was even worse from a leadership perspective, but I don't really see this 'leadership' from TA that people seem to speak of so frequently.

This post was edited on 3/17 12:35 PM by NikkiSixx
OMG, from afar you can tell if he has leadership? The kid was a redshirt freshman last year. Aren't too many Tommie Frasier types that command respect from upper classmen.
Well, I disagree, and TA was a redshirt sophomore last year.

C'mon haters (it's fun using that term that all you TM fanboys used on us dissenters). Give Tommy a chance under Riley and Langsdorf. We haven't seen what good coaching can do just yet. If TA is not up to the task or there is someone who emerges that is better then by all means I hope that Riley goes with him.

TT don't get me started on EC. EC had to overcome FS. If it wasn't for him we'd have seen BP like seasons. EC had "it". That it being leadership, determination, skill and toughness. He was quite possibly the best QB to play at NU. I can only imagine how he would have done under TF's "pipeline" and having AG and LP in the backfield.

As far as TM and JL, I think I've pretty much said it all in the previous posts. Love them for their effort, just think they were out of position. They both lacked leadership qualities that is needed for the position. That and threw like a duck. Their stats were skewed by the occasional long ball that connected. Of course the same could be said about TA. I just think that TA has that leadership quality and we should wait and see if Riley and Langsdorf can coach them up.

boxes...If TM was half as bad as you thought, then Bo freaking Pelini must have been one helluva coach to get him to first team all B1G level eh?

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
This may sound heresy to some, but the guy Tommy Armstrong most reminds me of in his skill set and performance is Tommie Frazier. Tommie Frazier given the same defense we've put on the field (and I don't mean talent level) and the same offense that TA has had to work with would have probably had similar results. Our problems these past few years were NOT the QB. He made mistakes sure and he wasn't the best passer. I've got news. Tommie Frazier made mistakes and wasn't a very accurate passer either. They both were/are great at running the traditional option. The difference is that Tommie Frazier had a phenomenal team and coaches (head coach and DC specifically) around him. TA hasn't had that same luxury. Tommy Armstrong on those championship teams IMO would have been able to do very similar things to Tommie Frazier. It's all about timing and perspective. JMHO>
This is exactly how I feel

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT