ADVERTISEMENT

They should eliminate the hosting of playoff games by bowl games

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
The time has come to have the higher ranked team host the playoff game. Just like the NFL. That would add importance to the regular season. It's been clear for years that the bowl games are in name only when hosting the semi-final game. With a 12-team playoff, the bowls become more meaningless. Please don't find a way to keep them relevant. They aren't.

The time has come to have the higher ranked team host the playoff game. Just like the NFL. That would add importance to the regular season. It's been clear for years that the bowl games are in name only when hosting the semi-final game. With a 12-team playoff, the bowls become more meaningless. Please don't find a way to keep them relevant. They aren't.
They‘re going to do this.
1-4 have byes.

12 at 5
11 at 6
10 at 7
9 at 8

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No bowl game involvement at all? Not even the semi-finals?
Disagree with you on that. Why Not?

Let fans enjoy a destiny where they can enjoy the experience in a city like the final 4 in Basketball…

Pasadena
Miami
Phoenix
New Orleans
Dallas or Atlanta

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Disagree with you on that. Why Not?

Let fans enjoy a destiny where they can enjoy the experience in a city like the final 4 in Basketball…

Pasadena
Miami
Phoenix
Dallas or Atlanta
It's not like the Final 4 in basketball. Never will be. They won't play that in one weekend. I don't mind the championship game being a destination, like the Super Bowl. But the semi-finals should be played in the higher ranked team's home field. IMO.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
It's not like the Final 4 in basketball. Never will be. They won't play that in one weekend. I don't mind the championship game being a destination, like the Super Bowl. But the semi-finals should be played in the higher ranked team's home field. IMO.
No Disagree and it is like the final 4. Matter of opinion..
Semi will be played over New Years.. So your‘re not going win that aregument.

College football isn’t the NFL either..

No bowl game involvement at all? Not even the semi-finals?
The only games that will be at the host site will be tje first round games 12-5 11-6 10-7 and 9 at 8. The quarter finals. The semifinals and finals will all tje Bowl games like Sugar , Rose .cotton etc they will join st all rotate over the years.

Reactions: scarletred
My mistake the 4 winners play the top 4 seeds on New Years day or EVE next year..

4 conferences of 2 devisions, 8 game play off with the 8 division champs...so 7 bowls remain..and no bi teams

@scarletred I loved the old school bowl system. They gutted that years ago. They keep using the former top-tier bowl games for the semi-finals. It's really not the Rose Bowl or the whatever. So, why keep it going? To pretend that they are still relevant?

Reactions: baseball31ne
We're not discussing a possible playoffs here. It's already 12-teams. I'm just against using the bowl games in name only for the playoffs. It's been a farce for years.
Why has it been a farce? All those bowl destinations are good places..

If they wanted Tampa or San Antonio I would have no issue with that..
The final 4 is like the NcAA final 4 except you can’t have 2 games in the same city like basketball..

That's lame. Get rid of the bowl game tie-ins.
The NFL is going to be looking at its cold game playoff policy as it is. I can easily seeing CFB avoiding basically all of it by making post season destination sites across the South or in Domes and not worrying about the years when its -35 @ OSU.

CFB via the bowl system has the advantage of a strong tradtion of fan travel for a vacation or what not for post season games. Its more fun that freezing your ass off at the Shoe if you are an OSU fan every year.

@scarletred I loved the old school bowl system. They gutted that years ago. They keep using the former top-tier bowl games for the semi-finals. It's really not the Rose Bowl or the whatever. So, why keep it going? To pretend that they are still relevant?
How? Of course they’re relevant.. There just isn’t conference tie in’s except for the New Years6 bowls.

The only games that will be at the host site will be tje first round games 12-5 11-6 10-7 and 9 at 8. The quarter finals. The semifinals and finals will all tje Bowl games like Sugar , Rose .cotton etc they will join st all rotate over the years.
Close.

The first-round games are at campus sites. The quarterfinals will be New Year's Eve and Day at four of the six major bowls: Rose, Sugar, Peach, Fiesta, Orange and Cotton. The semifinals will be at the other two of those six. The championship can be anywhere, such as this year in Houston.

2024 Season
  • First Round (On-Campus)
    • Friday, December 20, 2024: One Game (evening)
    • Saturday, December 21, 2024: Three Games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)
  • Quarterfinals
    • Tuesday, December 31, 2024: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening)
    • Wednesday, January 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)
  • Semifinals
    • Thursday, January 9, 2025: Capital One Orange Bowl (evening)
    • Friday, January 10, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening)
  • CFP National Championship
    • Monday, January 20, 2025: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia

Close.

The first-round games are at campus sites. The quarterfinals will be New Year's Eve and Day at four of the six major bowls: Rose, Sugar, Peach, Fiesta, Orange and Cotton. The semifinals will be at the other two of those six. The championship can be anywhere, such as this year in Houston.

2024 Season
    • Saturday, December 21, 2024: Three Games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)
  • Quarterfinals
    • Wednesday, January 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)
  • Semifinals
This is perfect as it should be..
Sorry big boxes.

Reactions: 9and4
A lot of college towns wouldn't be able to handle all of the production people required, corporate influx, etc needed to host a game of that magnitude. Never happen for semis & final.

It's not perfect. The bowl games are meaningless.
I would stop thinking of them as bowls. They are basically the premier destinations for post season for anyone under say 45. The Rose Bowl as my dad saw it (now 67) isn't how I (at 41) would see it.

It's not perfect. The bowl games are meaningless.
The bowl games are apart of the playoffs which is what I have been trying to tell you.

The sooner you get it through your head the less problem you will have with it..

Go watch hockey since you’re not watching the NFL playoffs.Laughing
It's a great game. I have both on.

vPL299e.jpg

Close.

2024 Season
  • Quarterfinals
  • Semifinals
Yep good catch. I didn’t mean to put the finals in the rotation of the bowls .

Close.

2024 Season
  • Quarterfinals
  • Semifinals
Yep.
Next thing you do is trying to convince me the sky is green and the grass is blue in the summer..

They were never relevant. Before the playoffs, three bowls-at the most-had an impact on the MNC. The rest were exhibitions, as intended.

Pretty sure that's happening. 1-4 get byes and 5-12 will be higher seed with home game. How will that affect bowls?? Will 4 top 12 team miss bowls??

Close.

2024 Season
  • Quarterfinals
  • Semifinals
This actually is a great system

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT