ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the college playoff games

Sorry I misunderstood. I would add that distance from the main source of your talent is not the primary issue when it comes to Nebraska. It is the fact that for most people who live outside of the Great Plains, and that is MOST people by a long ways, Nebraska represents boredom and drabness. It represents a thousand miles of dead corn stalks covered with snow punctuate by a couple of cities in the eastern part of the State that have some marginal potential for something interesting. I know a couple who once lived in Washington State who now live near me who drive across country back to Washington once a year. The wife, a very hip earth momma type, refers to Nebraska, based on her experience of driving across it, as "the land of no surprises." We may bristle at this kind of shit but it is how most people, including most recruits, think of us.

The biggest challenge to our recruiting is not getting three star kids to visit. It is getting the high four star kids to visit in the first place. And if we do get them here it better be a visit that blows their socks off because everybody has great facilities these days and every major program has a great game day atmosphere.

In the end, it comes down to the coaches. Can the coaches get the high four star kids to visit? And, if they can get them to visit, can the coaches impress them enough to get them to sign here? But even here we are not at a huge advantage even if Rhule is the second coming of Osborne. Because a lot of schools have great coaches.

This ain't going to be easy.
IF one never ventures off the interstate I can see why they would think there’s no surprises. BUT ask the dumb bitch if she’s driven across Eastern Washington. Talk about nothing. There’s lots of really cool spots in Nebraska but ya gotta look for them.

99% of Nebraska is no surprises, the kids going to school in Lincoln aren't just passing by in a car on their way to Washington though. The towns of Omaha and Lincoln provide plenty of options for things to do for college kids.

I agree to a point that getting kids to visit is harder than most places. I believe there are a couple of reasons for that though. During the Osborne years, Nebraska didn't play the type of offense that was going to attract blue chip players. While they got some, many were local players. Solich was similar in philosophy, Pelini hated to recruit and it showed. Callahan proved you could get players here if you just try. Hell, Micah Parsons visited when Riley was the coach. Frost didn't know what he wanted to do offensively, and his recruiting suffered.

So much of the past and not getting top players to visit, was by choice. The coaches would rather spend their time developing the local or underrecruited players. Rhule is a bit like that, but his underrecruited players have to have speed and length to go with the desire, where some of the past players like that were based on the "heart" criteria.
Hated Lincoln growing up. It's actually a pretty sweet college town now. Downtown and campus are so much better than 30 years ago. Probably one of the better places to send a kid. Decent sized city without some of the big city trouble.

Tom Osborne was able to win consistently with overall talent that was not as good as schools like Florida State, USC, Michigan, Texas, and probably many others back then. This was primarily due to the offense that he mastered—it was just very difficult to defend and they controlled the ball and clock. Yes, he needed certain offensive weapons to plug in and he was able to recruit them because of his record of success. Of course, Charlie McBride was part of that equation too.

As the years go by, the history of our past successes and our brand is fading away somewhat. So yes, our geography is a detriment, especially when we are trying to run a similar offense as the elite schools today. Having said that, it’s entirely possible to recruit a kid (I.e, Dylan Raiola) that could make the program very successful for the time that he’s there. Also, if we had a marquee head coach in Lincoln (not knocking Rhule), sure we could recruit stud players to Lincoln and put a perennial winning team on the field.

I think the likelihood is NU is a middle-of-the-pack program for the foreseeable future, occasionally rising to the top with certain players, especially with the new teams coming in to the conference. But hey, Trev and Matt could prove me wrong—and I’m all for it. GBR
Add to this playing in a conference full of weaklings for years, roided players with a S&C advantage, partial qualifiers, allowing a thug & hazing environment, amongst other things all helped.

IF one never ventures off the interstate I can see why they would think there’s no surprises. BUT ask the dumb bitch if she’s driven across Eastern Washington. Talk about nothing. There’s lots of really cool spots in Nebraska but ya gotta look for them.
For **** sakes how obtuse can you be? I’m not claiming that her image of Nebraska is a valid one. I am claiming that her image, though false, is a common one among outsiders to the State. Nor is she a dumb bitch. She has driven across Nebraska and finds it dull. So do I when I drive from Omaha to North Platte. But my point, which you utterly miss, is that this is exactly what outsiders think of our State. And if you don’t think that is true then you are simply completely oblivious to reality.

Hated Lincoln growing up. It's actually a pretty sweet college town now. Downtown and campus are so much better than 30 years ago. Probably one of the better places to send a kid. Decent sized city without some of the big city trouble.
Lincoln was big enough for me to find trouble in college but small enough for the cops to say “just pay for the damages and we’ll forget it happened”. Not sure that’s how it works there anymore. Man we did some stupid stuff. 🥴

For **** sakes how obtuse can you be? I’m not claiming that her image of Nebraska is a valid one. I am claiming that her image, though false, is a common one among outsiders to the State. Nor is she a dumb bitch. She has driven across Nebraska and finds it dull. So do I when I drive from Omaha to North Platte. But my point, which you utterly miss, is that this is exactly what outsiders think of our State. And if you don’t think that is true then you are simply completely oblivious to reality.
Don’t get the Hanes in a wad. I noted that IF you never get off the interstate I can see it. That said I don’t drive across southern Minnesota and ignorantly claim there’s nothing to see there. She’s ignorant and I’m sure happy to stay that way. I’ve driven across much of the country and I would never assume much about a state by where they put the interstate.

Don’t get the Hanes in a wad. I noted that IF you never get off the interstate I can see it. That said I don’t drive across southern Minnesota and ignorantly claim there’s nothing to see there. She’s ignorant and I’m sure happy to stay that way. I’ve driven across much of the country and I would never assume much about a state by where they put the interstate.
i think the dullest part of any state i have driven is the interstates. cant think of one contradiction to this. makes sense too.

Fine. But you still missed my point. Don’t care if her views are incorrect. Don’t care if she is a dumb bitch as you stupidly called her. Her views are very common ones. That was my point. But carry on with your “stupid bitch” line of inquiry. She is actually a delightful and highly intelligent person for the record. But carry on…

And my deeper point is this: we need a world class coach who can create a unique Nebraska identity and brand that is different from most others. Someone said this above and it is 100% true. Like Oregon or Nebraska of old, we need a unique football signature. But if our “brand” is to be like everyone else only “better” because we are landing all kinds of top end elite talent then we are going to be a flop. We will never be that kind of a program. Even under Osborne we were not that kind of program. He knew that too which is why he built the system he built.

My point is that the outside perception of our beloved State is largely negative. And it will always be so. So we better be unique and we better have a shitload of NIL cash.

And my deeper point is this: we need a world class coach who can create a unique Nebraska identity and brand that is different from most others. Someone said this above and it is 100% true. Like Oregon or Nebraska of old, we need a unique football signature. But if our “brand” is to be like everyone else only “better” because we are landing all kinds of top end elite talent then we are going to be a flop. We will never be that kind of a program. Even under Osborne we were not that kind of program. He knew that too which is why he built the system he built.

My point is that the outside perception of our beloved State is largely negative. And it will always be so. So we better be unique and we better have a shitload of NIL cash.
As much as I LOVE and welcome the idea of having a “brand” and something to hang our hat on, so to speak, I just dont agree pennsy. You are being too doomsday.

I believe the culture Rhule is instilling will pay dividends. How many other programs have starting O and D linemen coming back for their 6th year? Yeah NIL is a factor but this wouldn’t have happened with Frost or Riley.

right now we realistically need to try and become the champions of the middle. our roster is seriously low on talent across the board. win most of those close games and recruit better players. rinse and repeat for now. reduce the hype.
I think our roster has some talent. Alot of young talent. I think we have a number of players that would be very sought after in the portal. If we have a similar hit rate on the 2024 class as 2023 we could be in great shape going forward.

As much as I LOVE and welcome the idea of having a “brand” and something to hang our hat on, so to speak, I just dont agree pennsy. You are being too doomsday.
Maybe. But name one school in the plains west of the Mississippi and East of Idaho that has an elite college football team. There is a reason for that. I am not being a doomsdayer. I grew up in Lincoln. Sold coke in the stands as a kid. Rabid Husker. Love my State. Love Lincoln. Family all over the State. But I have lived long enough now outside of the State to fully appreciate how negatively most people on the coasts and in other big population centers view Nebraska. There is a reason, pathetic as it is, that they call the plains “fly over country”. Nebraska football will never compete with the kings of bling. Never. Only NIL money by the bucket loads can change that.

We once had a unique brand. A massive identity. And Steve Peterson and Harvey annihilated it. And there is a reason why we have never been the same since.

Disagree. I have met tons of people from around the country who love Lincoln. Lincoln must host a bunch of conferences because I meet a lot of people who love downtown Lincoln. Sure, you have people who have never left NYC or Florida, but you don't need to recruit 20 million kids. Rhule needs 10 to 20 non-Midwest recruits.

Disagree. I have met tons of people from around the country who love Lincoln. Lincoln must host a bunch of conferences because I meet a lot of people who love downtown Lincoln. Sure, you have people who have never left NYC or Florida, but you don't need to recruit 20 million kids. Rhule needs 10 to 20 non-Midwest recruits.
Off topic but what is the status of a new convention center in Lincoln? I would love that. And your point is a good one. Rhule just needs to find 20 kids a year from outside of our region. But they have to be 20 blue chip guys for us to compete with the elite teams again.

Yes!! Or maybe hire someone’s uncle.
This is really not fair to Dylan. Like most of the top ten recruits every year, change High Schools and commit and de-commit. How simple to commit to one NC team and then to the next NC team. Gets people off his back because it is what was expected of him. Much easier than committing early to a team that had not had a winning season in 5 years. I think he always wanted to play for Nebraska.

Yes we can.
The fact that NU can still pull top 20 classes despite the past 20 years, especially the past 7, is simply stunning.
This is Reason #1 for hope. Reason #2 is the fact that NU is dead last among Power 5 teams in turnover margin over the last 20 years, and it's not close. On Sept. 10, NU had a -105 turnover margin since the 2004 season, and the next worst team was at -55. We closed the season at -116 for the 20-season span. Despite that, our won-loss record over that span is 132-105. It's insane to turn the ball over so consistently over a 20 year stretch, and it's whacko that NU has a winning record in spite of it.

If Ruhle corrects that one issue, a lot of things improve very quickly.

Maybe. But name one school in the plains west of the Mississippi and East of Idaho that has an elite college football team. There is a reason for that. I am not being a doomsdayer. I grew up in Lincoln. Sold coke in the stands as a kid. Rabid Husker. Love my State. Love Lincoln. Family all over the State. But I have lived long enough now outside of the State to fully appreciate how negatively most people on the coasts and in other big population centers view Nebraska. There is a reason, pathetic as it is, that they call the plains “fly over country”. Nebraska football will never compete with the kings of bling. Never. Only NIL money by the bucket loads can change that.

We once had a unique brand. A massive identity. And Steve Peterson and Harvey annihilated it. And there is a reason why we have never been the same since.
West of the Mississippi and East of Idaho? What does that leave like a dozen schools (sarcasm). Should we narrow it down further to north of Norman and south of Fargo and get it to 6?

Look I get it, you bought in to the Osborne doctrine that in order to win at Nebraska you have to do things a certain way.

Lastly, this players aren't necessarily moving here permanently. This is a 4-5 year move at the most, kids go away to college every year. I know it is hard to believe, but there are kids from small town Wyoming that have gone to Harvard, Yale and Columbia. The culture and atmosphere at those schools is nothing like small town Wyoming, yet the kids adapt for a short period of time and then go to an environment and town/city that more reflects their values and culture. Heck there are even some that learn to like that sort of environment and stick around. It even happens at Nebraska, I mean gosh, Steve Taylor from Fresno, California decided to make Lincoln his home. Tommie Frazier from suburban Tampa, same thing. Abdul Muhammad from Compton, is living it up in North O.

West of the Mississippi and East of Idaho? What does that leave like a dozen schools (sarcasm). Should we narrow it down further to north of Norman and south of Fargo and get it to 6?

Look I get it, you bought in to the Osborne doctrine that in order to win at Nebraska you have to do things a certain way.

Lastly, this players aren't necessarily moving here permanently. This is a 4-5 year move at the most, kids go away to college every year. I know it is hard to believe, but there are kids from small town Wyoming that have gone to Harvard, Yale and Columbia. The culture and atmosphere at those schools is nothing like small town Wyoming, yet the kids adapt for a short period of time and then go to an environment and town/city that more reflects their values and culture. Heck there are even some that learn to like that sort of environment and stick around. It even happens at Nebraska, I mean gosh, Steve Taylor from Fresno, California decided to make Lincoln his home. Tommie Frazier from suburban Tampa, same thing. Abdul Muhammad from Compton, is living it up in North O.
If can get the best player in Hawaii after 7 losing seasons we can recruit plenty of good players. Would be much easier to win and the recruiting will sell itself.

This is Reason #1 for hope. Reason #2 is the fact that NU is dead last among Power 5 teams in turnover margin over the last 20 years, and it's not close. On Sept. 10, NU had a -105 turnover margin since the 2004 season, and the next worst team was at -55. We closed the season at -116 for the 20-season span. Despite that, our won-loss record over that span is 132-105. It's insane to turn the ball over so consistently over a 20 year stretch, and it's whacko that NU has a winning record in spite of it.

If Ruhle corrects that one issue, a lot of things improve very quickly.
Excellent post. It is shockingly bad.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Lincoln is a nice university city with great football facilities, an engaged fan base and supportive services for athletes. A coach that is able to stick around and commit to building the talent base can win.

was middle school in the PNW. schools weren't connected to the point where elementary-middle-high school were the same. played at Jenks in Oklahoma, during Allan Trimble's tenure

we can both trade anecdotes, and i'm not sure how its unfair for me to bring up TX, FL, CA as that is exactly the crux of our discussion, but there is not a single Washington school in this list.

NY also has a population of 20 million, but that doesn't make them talent rich. the culture for high school football in cold-weather states just isn't the same, and you don't have anything factual to disprove tha
I find that hard to believe. Schools like Lake Stevens, Archbishop Murphy, O'Dea, Eastside Catholic, Chiawana, Camas, Bellevue, Eastlake, Skyline, Gonzaga Prep, Kennedy Catholic, Graham-Kapowsin have been on ESPN and play schools from other states. I have an old Nebraska buddy who also ended up here in Washington who teaches at Graham-Kapowsin. He reads this Board as well so maybe he will join in on this discussion. G-K finished runner-up in 4A to Lake Stevens. I think this was the 3rd year in a row. Former Husky starting Qb Dylan Morris who got beat out by Penix Jr played at G-K. My friend tells me they have 4-5 players who are going to get FBS scholarships. There is a good football culture here. Bellevue was rolling with players like Budda Baker and Myles Jack until the coach got caught cheating by the state governing association. Something about how he was recruiting players. They all do it. Kellen Moore's dad was a very innovative coach at a 2A school in farm country, Prosser, Washington. He ran a fast break offense with Kellen passing to ball to brother Kirby and a kid whose name I cannot remember who played slot receiver at U Dub.

I went to elementary school for a year and a half in Oklahoma, between California and Nebraska.

Add to this playing in a conference full of weaklings for years, roided players with a S&C advantage, partial qualifiers, allowing a thug & hazing environment, amongst other things all helped.
Oh that’s right, thank you for reminding me that the Big 8 Conference was so much weaker than all those other conferences, we had so few Academic All-Americans, and that program that Boyd Eppley put together wouldn’t have done squat hadn’t it been for the juice. I had forgotten what a rogue program Osborne ran in Lincoln with all those NCAA violations. 🤔

Sorry I misunderstood. I would add that distance from the main source of your talent is not the primary issue when it comes to Nebraska. It is the fact that for most people who live outside of the Great Plains, and that is MOST people by a long ways, Nebraska represents boredom and drabness. It represents a thousand miles of dead corn stalks covered with snow punctuate by a couple of cities in the eastern part of the State that have some marginal potential for something interesting. I know a couple who once lived in Washington State who now live near me who drive across country back to Washington once a year. The wife, a very hip earth momma type, refers to Nebraska, based on her experience of driving across it, as "the land of no surprises." We may bristle at this kind of shit but it is how most people, including most recruits, think of us.

The biggest challenge to our recruiting is not getting three star kids to visit. It is getting the high four star kids to visit in the first place. And if we do get them here it better be a visit that blows their socks off because everybody has great facilities these days and every major program has a great game day atmosphere.

In the end, it comes down to the coaches. Can the coaches get the high four star kids to visit? And, if they can get them to visit, can the coaches impress them enough to get them to sign here? But even here we are not at a huge advantage even if Rhule is the second coming of Osborne. Because a lot of schools have great coaches.

This ain't going to be easy.
Ran across an article this morning on Blye Hill, FCS portal CB. He is from Baltimore, played FCS in Pennsylvania. He actually said that he was told Lincoln is in the middle of nowhere. So when he arrived in Lincoln he was pleasantly surprised with the size of the city. The negative opinions can easily be turned into a positive by getting kids to Lincoln. A kid/family staying in downtown Lincoln and hanging out on campus is not going to feel like they are in a podunk small town.

I find that hard to believe. Schools like Lake Stevens, Archbishop Murphy, O'Dea, Eastside Catholic, Chiawana, Camas, Bellevue, Eastlake, Skyline, Gonzaga Prep, Kennedy Catholic, Graham-Kapowsin have been on ESPN and play schools from other states. I have an old Nebraska buddy who also ended up here in Washington who teaches at Graham-Kapowsin. He reads this Board as well so maybe he will join in on this discussion. G-K finished runner-up in 4A to Lake Stevens. I think this was the 3rd year in a row. Former Husky starting Qb Dylan Morris who got beat out by Penix Jr played at G-K. My friend tells me they have 4-5 players who are going to get FBS scholarships. There is a good football culture here. Bellevue was rolling with players like Budda Baker and Myles Jack until the coach got caught cheating by the state governing association. Something about how he was recruiting players. They all do it. Kellen Moore's dad was a very innovative coach at a 2A school in farm country, Prosser, Washington. He ran a fast break offense with Kellen passing to ball to brother Kirby and a kid whose name I cannot remember who played slot receiver at U Dub.

I went to elementary school for a year and a half in Oklahoma, between California and Nebraska.
well your friend and your nebraska buddy are certainly entitled to their opinions, but i'm gonna trust the experts that rank the schools and the fact that hardly any NFL players went to high school in Washington. a 4A Washington school would get absolutely trounced by 6A football from any state.

Washington is a soft state with soft culture, they just don't produce athletes for a violent sport the way other states do.

Ran across an article this morning on Blye Hill, FCS portal CB. He is from Baltimore, played FCS in Pennsylvania. He actually said that he was told Lincoln is in the middle of nowhere. So when he arrived in Lincoln he was pleasantly surprised with the size of the city. The negative opinions can easily be turned into a positive by getting kids to Lincoln. A kid/family staying in downtown Lincoln and hanging out on campus is not going to feel like they are in a podunk small town.
Lincoln is an awesome city. The trick is to get over the negative recruiting hurdles about Lincoln being a cow town in order to get the recruits to come here.

Lincoln is an awesome city. The trick is to get over the negative recruiting hurdles about Lincoln being a cow town in order to get the recruits to come here.
I think every staff has got a top 10 recruit to visit Lincoln. Not a concern for me. We just have to actually win I'd we want to step up recruiting. Pelini had Andrus Peat. Riley had Parsons and I believe another OT from Cali. Rhule has already had Raiola, Baker, Frazier, on campus and he's barely been here a year.

So yes, our geography is a detriment, especially when we are trying to run a similar offense as the elite schools today.
I can't tell you how important this point is and how it cannot be overstated. The fall of Nebraska football is directly related to Bill Callahan and everyone that followed him trying to "modernize" the offense.

The reason Osborne ran the kind of offense he ran for decades was precisely because Nebraska didn't have the talent that the USCs and Florida States had. The style that he ran was specifically designed to make up for a lack of talent and would also fit well for the climate in the Plains.

I seriously cannot and do not understand how this completely goes over so many Husker fans' heads. They want to chase star recruits. They want to get a big-time HC with a winning track record instead of a coach with a track record of developing talent and doing more with less. And I'm sitting here like, "Yeah, none of that is going to work. Not at Nebraska."

The recipe for success was created back in the 1960s and it worked for over 40 years and produced multiple conference and national championships. Then TO retired and everyone, starting with Solich, began to (inexplicably) move away from that recipe.

Yes, the game has changed. Yes, it is a different era. But I can't think of a better example of the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The program wasn't broken when Osborne retired. In fact, it was the opposite of broken. It was the most powerful college football program in the land. Then a bunch of ADs and HCs decided to do their own thing and "fix" it.

So, here are we are today where what needs fixing the most is the fixing itself. But it might be beyond repair.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I can't tell you how important this point is and how it cannot be overstated. The fall of Nebraska football is directly related to Bill Callahan and everyone that followed him trying to "modernize" the offense.

The reason Osborne ran the kind of offense he ran for decades was precisely because Nebraska didn't have the talent that the USCs and Florida States had. The style that he ran was specifically designed to make up for a lack of talent and would also fit well for the climate in the Plains.

I seriously cannot and do not understand how this completely goes over so many Husker fans' heads. They want to chase star recruits. They want to get a big-time HC with a winning track record instead of a coach with a track record of developing talent and doing more with less. And I'm sitting here like, "Yeah, none of that is going to work. Not at Nebraska."

The recipe for success was created back in the 1960s and it worked for over 40 years and produced multiple conference and national championships. Then TO retired and everyone, starting with Solich, began to (inexplicably) move away from that recipe.

Yes, the game has changed. Yes, it is a different era. But I can't think of a better example of the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The program wasn't broken when Osborne retired. In fact, it was the opposite of broken. It was the most powerful college football program in the land. Then a bunch of ADs and HCs decided to do their own thing and "fix" it.

So, here are we are today where what needs fixing the most is the fixing itself. But it might be beyond repair.
yeah that's cool if you want to be Iowa.

Nebraska will never have the S&C advantage they did when they were crushing teams with that style of play, it's time for you to let go of that narrative.

say what you want about Bill Callahan, he still put together a team that competed for a conference championship and got into a bowl game against the #10 team.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Part of your problem pennsy is youre making the mistake of thinking 3* and 4* kids are different than other 4* and 5* kids. They are not.
If 3 and 4 star kids from throughout the country will come here over other schools, other 4* and 5* players will too. The problem right now isnt our location. Its our performance. And as I pointed out above, despite our performance we are still pulling top 20 classes, thats without even a bowl game in 7 years.
Top recruits picking GA, AL, OSU, MICH etc has less to do with our location and more to do with our performance.

yeah that's cool if you want to be Iowa.

Nebraska will never have the S&C advantage they did when they were crushing teams with that style of play, it's time for you to let go of that narrative.

say what you want about Bill Callahan, he still put together a team that competed for a conference championship and got into a bowl game against the #10 team.
Being Iowa would be a MASSIVE upgrade compared to what NU has become.

Part of your problem pennsy is youre making the mistake of thinking 3* and 4* kids are different than other 4* and 5* kids. They are not.
If 3 and 4 star kids from throughout the country will come here over other schools, other 4* and 5* players will too. The problem right now isnt our location. Its our performance. And as I pointed out above, despite our performance we are still pulling top 20 classes, thats without even a bowl game in 7 years.
Top recruits picking GA, AL, OSU, MICH etc has less to do with our location and more to do with our performance.
It was mentioned early in this thread, but FCS football over the past decade has been dominated by schools in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Yes, its a lower level of football, but whatever level you play at, success is highly tied to coaching, talent, and a culture of success breeding more success. When I look at the rosters Montana and SDSU who are in the championship this year, while there are a fair share of local kids, there are also a lot of kids from around the country. Doubt most of those kids grew up dreaming about playing football in the Dakotas or Montana. They are there because they want to win and taste success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT