ADVERTISEMENT

Unintended consequences of nil, portal, and playoffs

Nothing will truly fix the monied mess in cfb (or the often critiqued "rigged" NFL even) until money itself is fixed.

Fixed as in pegged to real tangible assets like gold and silver.

Literally virtually all problems we face today can basically be traced back to 1971 when the dollar became a mere facade of it's former self. Corrupt politics prior to 71? Mere child's play compared to the corruption that's mestasized since. Then everything downstream from there... Corrupt.

Congress could step in a fix the parameters of cfb. Or there seems to be some revived thought within Congress of bringing back the gold standard. Until then though, expect more of the same.

Take that to the bank.

Nothing will truly fix the monied mess in cfb (or the often critiqued "rigged" NFL even) until money itself is fixed.

Fixed as in pegged to real tangible assets like gold and silver.

Literally virtually all problems we face today can basically be traced back to 1971 when the dollar became a mere facade of it's former self. Corrupt politics prior to 71? Mere child's play compared to the corruption that's mestasized since. Then everything downstream from there... Corrupt.

Congress could step in a fix the parameters of cfb. Or there seems to be some revived thought within Congress of bringing back the gold standard. Until then though, expect more of the same.

Take that to the bank.
Last thing we need is crooked politicians trying to "fix" college football.

We’ve basically ruined bowl games with this stupid playoff stuff (that has solved nothing) and we are ruining college football with the portal and tranfering.
A few ideas I had that could improve things.
1) Cant enter the portal until after bowl season, or after your team is finished, or after the 1st of the year. Cant enroll for spring semester? Tough crap. Think twice about transferring. Be sure to commit where you want to. This way players are more likely to play in their bowl game to find the best suitors for their services.
2) anyone who opts out of a teams season before its done has to pay back their scholarship. Enforced by NCAA (if they ever enforce anything, just play along) so schools dont have to “look bad”. Believe me it pisses these coaches off when kids opt out but they have to pretend it doesnt so they dont scare away recruits.
3) choose nil or scholarship, not both. If you get paid, pay your own way. People who say free market, thats what it is. Maybe kids will realize just how much money they make in scholarships. Also less likely to transfer then. NCAA will have to get creative in roster number enforcement.
4) can only transfer once without sitting for a whole year. No excuses.

Let me hear it.
While I disagree with some of your points, I'd like to point out that the original premise of your post (unintended consequences) is flawed. Every consequence that has been brought forth was totally intended so players can control the narrative. The people behind this have no love for the game or the intent of college sports, they're just trying to push as much money as they can to certain people and to hell with everything else.

Reactions: baseball31ne
The one thing I would like to see changed would be for NIL payments to require the top players to play in all games, post season or regular season, unless they are injured. That would allow the bowls to gain back some credibility as well as force players to hold off on entering the portal until the seasons are over.
In other words, earn their money. It night as well go full contractual obligation to their NIL partner. IF you sit you take a financial hit. If you enter the portal you have to forfeit some of your NIL money.

Not butt hurt - these kids are kidding paid way more than they are worth- it’s a bidding war for unproven and not good enough talent that exceeds what the players are doing. Free agency in nfl works bc the players have succeeded and get paid accordingly- in college most haven’t proved shit
Lots of drafted players get over paid contracts as well. My only beef is there has to be a financial consequence for college players who take NIL money and then quit in their team.

In other words, earn their money. It night as well go full contractual obligation to their NIL partner. IF you sit you take a financial hit. If you enter the portal you have to forfeit some of your NIL money.
What is keeping Nebraska or any other program from implementing those measures?

What is keeping Nebraska or any other program from implementing those measures?
NIL can not be performance based. I’m not sure if NIL agreements could include punitive repercussions for opting out or not. It might already be possible contractually. It would’ve interesting to see an actual NIL agreement.

Reactions: king_kong_
NIL can not be performance based. I’m not sure if NIL agreements could include punitive repercussions for opting out or not. It might already be possible contractually. It would’ve interesting to see an actual NIL agreement.
I’ve posted interviews from NIL agents here

It’s pretty straight forward.

I don't think that if Travis Kelce shut it down for the rest of the season, any of his ad deals could pull money back.
Of course not.

People are just delusional & want to believe anything but the truth.

Of course not.

I don't think anyone is delusional...we're just brain storming of a way to keep this from growing even more than it has. We're fans...we want to see the team that played all year play in the bowl game and do whatever we can to avoid what happened with the Dwags and Noles again. I think most of us understand you can't claw back NIL money or structure a NIL contract to demand you play in a bowl game if your team makes it for reasons you've already mentioned, maybe not everyone, but most of us.

...and I'm not sure there is a solution in all honesty.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Of course not.

If it isn’t in the contact then the advertisers couldn’t add that in. If an advertiser says in all new contracts that the player is healthy and doesn’t play, X% is forfeited from the player.

If it isn’t in the contact then the advertisers couldn’t add that in. If an advertiser says in all new contracts that the player is healthy and doesn’t play, X% is forfeited from the player.
They could!

They’d just have zero clients because that’s ridiculously bad business

They could!

They’d just have zero clients because that’s ridiculously bad business
Asking people to fulfill their obligations is bad business when the people have been told and shown over and over that you need to get something for as little as you have to do for it. Talent is good but fame and infamy makes more money so choose based on the bag.

Given the nature of legalese, couldn't the whole "NIL can't be performance based" thing be loop holed by legally tying the concept of scholarship (academics) to playing though?

Like, player X has a scholly to FSU for football. Player X per NIL contract is required to play football if on a scholarship in bowl game Z or else forfeits funds due to not upholding academic requirements.

I'm shocked this hasn't been the language and stuff used yet, and will be shocked if it doesn't become so.

Asking people to fulfill their obligations is bad business when the people have been told and shown over and over that you need to get something for as little as you have to do for it. Talent is good but fame and infamy makes more money so choose based on the bag.
It’s not fulfilling obligations. Bowl games aren’t on the schedule nor are they a part of the season. They’re exhibitions.

Would you take away all of NU’s players’ NIL money because they didn’t make it to a bowl game?

Grow up

Given the nature of legalese, couldn't the whole "NIL can't be performance based" thing be loop holed by legally tying the concept of scholarship (academics) to playing though?

Like, player X has a scholly to FSU for football. Player X per NIL contract is required to play football if on a scholarship in bowl game Z or else forfeits funds due to not upholding academic requirements.

I'm shocked this hasn't been the language and stuff used yet, and will be shocked if it doesn't become so.
This is some seriously clueless stuff right here

The rules are made public, people. Agents give interviews discussing them.

perhaps some reading should be assigned to all the clueless folks here viewing life through nostalgic lenses.

I don't think anyone is delusional...we're just brain storming of a way to keep this from growing even more than it has. We're fans...we want to see the team that played all year play in the bowl game and do whatever we can to avoid what happened with the Dwags and Noles again. I think most of us understand you can't claw back NIL money or structure a NIL contract to demand you play in a bowl game if your team makes it for reasons you've already mentioned, maybe not everyone, but most of us.

You can claw back NIL money if it’s written in to the contract and IMO it should be. That maybe could be where the NCAA could issue standardized rules for NIL contracts.

It’s not fulfilling obligations. Bowl games aren’t on the schedule nor are they a part of the season. They’re exhibitions.

Would you take away all of NU’s players’ NIL money because they didn’t make it to a bowl game?

Grow up
Sooooo many fans, for all big time programs, romanticize all of this.

It is the old "I would DIE to have had a chance to play for the Huskers" and "I would run through a brick wall JUST TO BE ON THE TEAM, even if it meant never playing a down"

I get it, I do and I get this idea of "commitment" and "giving 110% at all times" but these fans spouting this stuff are also on this post board all day while "working" and not giving "110%" at work and they are also looking for other jobs while working, ready to bounce if they find something better or closer or more money or work from home.

If any of us had a kid that was playing D1 FB and say he got a full ride to NU and ended up not playing much but another D1 school basically offered him a chance to be a starter and a nice NIL deal...none of us would be like "Well now, Jr, you gave your word and your word is your bond, so you can't leave, ever, doesn't matter if you will get to play at a new school and get cash...you just need to work harder"

You can claw back NIL money if it’s written in to the contract and IMO it should be. That maybe could be where the NCAA could issue standardized rules for NIL contracts.
Except the ncaa has already lost its fight against NIL in multiple federal courts

Thus, they’ve been entirely cut out of it.

They have zero - ZERO - governing power over contracts because they, like you and the PGA Tour, were fighting for the short sighted idiotic old way of doing things and completely misjudged their own leverage.

Adapt or die. The ncaa is dead.

There’s one solution:

Collective bargaining

That’s it.

Only a college football players association could legally stipulate pay for play or penalties for non-participation in a revenue sharing agreement with what would have to be a single league (see: not the NCAA).

Because university presidents would be involved, and they are some of the most head up ass non-thinkers on the planet who possess the collective foresight of an ant, it won’t happen anytime soon.

Instead it will be handwringing and good ole days yearning until someone smart (a tv exec or something) sweeps the whole thing out from under them

Oh, and everyone here would hate it because “This ain’t the NFL!”

Last edited:

Grow up
Knock your shit off. If the contract language says you play in all games for the season and it can include post season games as part of it, then yes if they don’t play then that clause kicks in. If the team doesn’t get enough wins then it doesn’t.

Your “I crap lilacs” and “I’m never wrong about anything” act was worn out last year and here you go again with the same stuff.

Knock your shit off. If the contract language says you play in all games for the season and it can include post season games as part of it, then yes if they don’t play then that clause kicks in. If the team doesn’t get enough wins then it doesn’t.

Your “I crap lilacs” and “I’m never wrong about anything” act was worn out last year and here you go again with the same stuff.
Two sides need to agree to a contract.

Nobody would sign what you’re suggesting because there is this little thing called “competition” in business.

Sorry.

Two sides need to agree to a contract.

Nobody would sign what you’re suggesting because there is this little thing called “competition” in business.

Sorry.
Thanks for enlightening me on this concept. 🙄🙄

Didn’t say it didn’t exist.

The NIL stuff doesn’t bother me as much as the lack of transfer rules. It makes me wonder what the NCAA is really trying to do. I’m almost never a believer of any high up organization or person being this “weak” or “stupid”. Their actions are always planned for a specific result.

I don't think that if Travis Kelce shut it down for the rest of the season, any of his ad deals could pull money back.
But his football contract would be breached if he did that.
They need to make changes to tie nil and playing together, or at least allow it to be.

We’ve basically ruined bowl games with this stupid playoff stuff (that has solved nothing) and we are ruining college football with the portal and tranfering.
A few ideas I had that could improve things.
1) Cant enter the portal until after bowl season, or after your team is finished, or after the 1st of the year. Cant enroll for spring semester? Tough crap. Think twice about transferring. Be sure to commit where you want to. This way players are more likely to play in their bowl game to find the best suitors for their services.
2) anyone who opts out of a teams season before its done has to pay back their scholarship. Enforced by NCAA (if they ever enforce anything, just play along) so schools dont have to “look bad”. Believe me it pisses these coaches off when kids opt out but they have to pretend it doesnt so they dont scare away recruits.
3) choose nil or scholarship, not both. If you get paid, pay your own way. People who say free market, thats what it is. Maybe kids will realize just how much money they make in scholarships. Also less likely to transfer then. NCAA will have to get creative in roster number enforcement.
4) can only transfer once without sitting for a whole year. No excuses.

Let me hear it.
You sir, are a genius..couldn't find the 200% emoji. Bowl games are like watching JV play now.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
But his football contract would be breached if he did that.
They need to make changes to tie nil and playing together, or at least allow it to be.
Lamar Jackson made a business decision at the end of last season by opting out of games as his team was in playoff contention.

• Haha
Not according to him. PCL issues.
“According to him”. I don’t recall his Dr supporting that claim publicly. He made a business decision and the Ravens were willing to pay him after he quit on his teammates. That's my view until I see a statement from his Dr. It was all about his contract status and a tweaked knee was all the excuse he needed. Probably a smart move on his part but I would have been pissed if I were a Ravens fan.

• Haha
“According to him”. I don’t recall his Dr supporting that claim publicly. He made a business decision and the Ravens were willing to pay him after he quit on his teammates. That's my view until I see a statement from his Dr. It was all about his contract status and a tweaked knee was all the excuse he needed. Probably a smart move on his part but I would have been pissed if I were a Ravens fan.
how many statements do you see from NFL team doctors per year?

zero?

yet another example (there are so, so many) of you being hilariously wrong and refusing to admit it.

Harbaugh did.

Zero question in my mind Lamer sat out last year for contract reasons, not health. Not traveling with the team further cemented that opinion. Also, almost every media personality with a platform wondered the same outloud...and it's most likely one of the reasons the Ravens were more than willing to let him look around, they were both playing high stakes chicken with each other.

...but leaving all that in the rearview, he's the MVP this year and the Ravens look like the best team. We'll see how that translates to the post season. To date, it hasn't. This team looks different though, so we'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT