ADVERTISEMENT

The path to 6 wins become tougher

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I am not overly concerned with yesterdays game. Game 1 year 1 didn't look half bad. However. Having the Akron cancellation and CU loss makes it that much harder to get to 6 win, especially since most I believe had those 2 games as a W. It sounds like we may make up the Akron game at the end of the year, weather it be Akron or someone FCS school. Add the possibility that Martinez could be sideline for a few games if not the year.
So what is your path to 6, or more win?

Troy- WIN I honestly was more worried about Troy than CU. I see we opened as a 7 pt favorite. We were a 5 with CU. So the money men have Troy pretty well on par with CU. I think we get our first win the week 1 mistakes should be clean up.

@Michigan- Loss Michigan this early in the year is going to be very tough to pull out a win. Being it is at Michigan makes it that much tougher.

Purdue- WIN So far they don't look like anything too special. The home game should seal win #2 for us.

@Wisc -
Loss Wisc isn't fancy. Everyone know how they play and what they are going to do. Yet they get the job done. I think they get us again 1 last time.

@ NW
Win . They always seem to play us tough. For whatever reason the road team seems to usually pull out a W. So we could have the edge, but who knows. This could go either way.

Minn
WIN They put the foot down last year. But our team had already checked out for the year. This is obviously a different year. I just don't see PJ being the guy to turn Minn into a top 10 football program. I don't see them being anything great this year. We return the fav this year.

@Ohio St
Loss As much as I would love to see an upset in the horseshoe. They are a well oiled machine and I don't see us keeping up with them.

Illinois
WIN It is Illinois at home. This should, should, should be a easy win at this point in the year.

Michigan St
WIN This is my upset pick. The only top 25 team we actually get at home. We know what happend last time they were here. I am going with a back 2 back home upset.

@Iowa
Win We all at Iowa, they are the new CU. This is probably a 50/50 game. Giving us the win.
So if we don't have a make up game for Akron getting to 6 is going to very very tough. We basically must win against Purdue, NW, Minn, Illinois, and Iowa. Plus pick up an upset loss against Wisc, Mich, Ohio st or Mich St. This is going to be tough.

I am not overly concerned with yesterdays game. Game 1 year 1 didn't look half bad. However. Having the Akron cancellation and CU loss makes it that much harder to get to 6 win, especially since most I believe had those 2 games as a W. It sounds like we may make up the Akron game at the end of the year, weather it be Akron or someone FCS school. Add the possibility that Martinez could be sideline for a few games if not the year.

Troy- WIN I honestly was more worried about Troy than CU. I see we opened as a 7 pt favorite. We were a 5 with CU. So the money men have Troy pretty well on par with CU. I think we get our first win the week 1 mistakes should be clean up.

@Michigan- Loss Michigan this early in the year is going to be very tough to pull out a win. Being it is at Michigan makes it that much tougher.

Purdue- WIN So far they don't look like anything too special. The home game should seal win #2 for us.

@Wisc -
Loss Wisc isn't fancy. Everyone know how they play and what they are going to do. Yet they get the job done. I think they get us again 1 last time.

@ NW
Win . They always seem to play us tough. For whatever reason the road team seems to usually pull out a W. So we could have the edge, but who knows. This could go either way.

Minn
WIN They put the foot down last year. But our team had already checked out for the year. This is obviously a different year. I just don't see PJ being the guy to turn Minn into a top 10 football program. I don't see them being anything great this year. We return the fav this year.

@Ohio St
Loss As much as I would love to see an upset in the horseshoe. They are a well oiled machine and I don't see us keeping up with them.

Illinois
WIN It is Illinois at home. This should, should, should be a easy win at this point in the year.

Michigan St
WIN This is my upset pick. The only top 25 team we actually get at home. We know what happend last time they were here. I am going with a back 2 back home upset.

@Iowa
Win We all at Iowa, they are the new CU. This is probably a 50/50 game. Giving us the win.
So if we don't have a make up game for Akron getting to 6 is going to very very tough. We basically must win against Purdue, NW, Minn, Illinois, and Iowa. Plus pick up an upset loss against Wisc, Mich, Ohio st or Mich St. This is going to be tough.
Depends who is playing QB for the Huskers. I don't see 7 wins with Bunch, or 6 for that matter.

@Wisc -

@ NW

Minn

@Ohio St

Illinois

Michigan St

@Iowa

I think you are gonna have a heart attack some point this season. Relax, This year is not the end product. Getting to a bowl game is always nice. But we're more worried about the foundation they are building than going to the crappy TaxSlayer Bowl or New Era Pinstripe Bowl.

I think you are gonna have a heart attack some point this season. Relax, This year is not the end product. Getting to a bowl game is always nice. But we're more worried about the foundation they are building than going to the crappy TaxSlayer Bowl or New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
You don’t think an extra month of practice and another game would be beneficial for a young team and young system?

Reactions: 9and4 and saluno22
Much of this depends on the health of Martinez of course. However I think Bunch is being written off to quickly by some. He was put in a very tough spot and he did well considering the situation. Infact had spielman caught that pass on 3rd down NU had a decent chance to win the game. I think Bunch is fully capable of putting up points in this offense. That being said I hope Martinez is back very soon. Id like to pick these games but there are just to many variables right now. Regardless of the w/l record I'll be happy if they get better every week and they play hard for 4 quarters.

@Wisc -

@ NW

Minn

@Ohio St

Illinois

Michigan St

@Iowa

#1 - Did you forget to count the Troy game? Troy, Purdue, NW, Minn, and Illinois makes 5 wins. Beat MSU or Iowa and get to 6, beat both MSU and Iowa and get to 7.

#2 - I think the above is absolutely doable with a health Martinez, especially later in the season as the team cleans up mistakes, gain confidence, and learn to win.

#3 - If we do get those 5 wins against Troy, Purdue, NW, Minn, and Illinois, then I think Moos will push hard to make sure the Akron game (or some game happens). He already stated they are looking at that first weekend in December as a potential make up, especially if bowl eligibility is on the line and neither team is playing in a CCG that day. Overall, I still feel confident that we’ll get to the 6 wins we need, and if we somehow make up the game with Akron I’m still standing by my 8-4 season. If not, 7-4. I have not been overly impressed with Purdue, NW, MSU, or Iowa during the first 2 weeks of season. If we can clean up our stupid mistakes, no reason we shouldn’t beat those teams either at home or on the road.

#4 - I’m not counting us out against Michigan yet. They looked much better on Saturday, but it was Western Michigan, so they weren’t exactly matched up. It’s certainly a long shot, but if Martinez is healthy and can play at 100%, I think we give UM all they want an more.

Last edited:
#1 - Did you forget to count the Troy game? Troy, Purdue, NW, Minn, and Illinois makes 5 wins. Beat MSU or Iowa and get to 6, beat both MSU and Iowa and get to 7.

#2 - I think the above is absolutely doable with a health Martinez, especially later in the season as the team cleans up mistakes, gain confidence, and learn to win.

#3 - If we do get those 5 wins against Troy, Purdue, NW, Minn, and Illinois, then I think Moos will push hard to make sure the Akron game (or some game happens). He already stated they are looking at that first weekend in December as a potential make up, especially if bowl eligibility is on the line and neither team is playing in a CCG that day. Overall, I still feel confident that we’ll get to the 6 wins we need, and if we somehow make up the game with Akron I’m still standing by my 8-4 season. If not, 7-4. I have not been overly impressed with Purdue, NW, MSU, or Iowa during the first 2 weeks of season. If we can clean up our stupid mistakes, no reason we shouldn’t beat those teams either at home or on the road.

Agree, but this will a be determined how 2AM knee is or if he injuries it any worse throughout the season..

Bunch needs to play a whole game before we can determine how effective he will be to start the rest of the season..

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
We’re going to have to hold serve and upset someone. The most likely victim I see is Michigan State. Also mentioned on another thread, we need to make up the Akron game. I don’t care if it’s against a Division 1-AA it will still count towards going bowling.

We need to make it to a bowl for the extra practice weeks allowed.
I really think we will make it up. Probably that first week in Dec. I could see SDSU or someone like that

Reactions: CatColumbia
Yes I did. Even so that makes it very tough. Do able yes, but we have to play very good football with little mistakes to pull out all those wins.

Far be it from me to be an optimistic sunshine pumper, but in the depths of my despair I went to youtube and watched Bunch's highlights. The kid can play. Hopefully AM is back, but I'm not ready to assume we can't win tough games with Bunchy. The mistakes have to stop, if that can get better we'll be in a lot of games.

@Wisc -

@ NW

Minn

@Ohio St

Illinois

Michigan St

@Iowa

There are so many bowls now that 6 wins is no longer a requirement (Foster Farms, for instance). I care less about 6 wins and more about getting better each week to position the program for 2019 and beyond.

Reactions: bigboxes
If the Akron game isn’t cancelled, NU is 2-0 right now. I doubt anyone’s worst case scenario had NU winless going into week 3 with the strong possibility of needing to rely on a back-up walk-on QB.

If the Akron game isn’t cancelled, NU is 2-0 right now. I doubt anyone’s worst case scenario had NU winless going into week 3 with the strong possibility of needing to rely on a back-up walk-on QB.
You sure about that? Pretty sure that would be 1-1 at best

I think we'll get to 6 wins easily. The Big 10 isn't looking that great this year. Colorado is a much better team than the 4-8 team they were last year. Colorado may be one of the tougher games on our schedule, and we outplayed them besides the turnovers.

You sure about that? Pretty sure that would be 1-1 at best
We would be 2-0 no doubt in my mind. We dominated CU on both sides of the ball. The stats prove that. We just had the typical game one mistakes. Those mistake would of happened against Akron had we played them and we would have been able to push through a still beat them . Then we play CU without the mistakes and we we easily win by 2 or 3 TD. We will be fine.

Reactions: HuskerLegion
No doubt in my mind that NU would be 2-0 had the Akron game not been cancelled. NU would have rolled CU without the first game mistakes.
Hmm, ok. Well, if we are dealing in hypotheticals......
I have no doubt Halle Berry and I would be happily married right now if only my trip to LA hadn’t been cancelled.
I am also positive I would be a millionaire right now if I hadn’t stopped for that red light and gotten my lottery ticket 30 seconds earlier.
It doesn’t work like that. Saying you would have won agame you lost because of something that happened,or didn’t happen, a week earlier just sounds stupid.
What if they did play Akron and the QB gets injured in that game. Does NU still beat Colo? I mean hypothetically of course.

I have no doubt Halle Berry and I would be happily married right now if only my trip to LA hadn’t been cancelled.
I am also positive I would be a millionaire right now if I hadn’t stopped for that red light and gotten my lottery ticket 30 seconds earlier.
It doesn’t work like that. Saying you would have won agame you lost because of something that happened,or didn’t happen, a week earlier just sounds stupid.
What if they did play Akron and the QB gets injured in that game. Does NU still beat Colo? I mean hypothetically of course.

I was thinking the same thing. You can't change the past. What happened, happened. I do see a lot of promise in this team and it could have happened like Husker4real posted. But it didn't which means the alternate reality lost out.

Reactions: ffjoey44
I was thinking the same thing. You can't change the past. What happened, happened. I do see a lot of promise in this team and it could have happened like Husker4real posted. But it didn't which means the alternate reality lost out.
Exactly, saying the Colorado game would be 180 different if the Akron game happened is unprovable speculation and honestly sounds weak AF.

Exactly, saying the Colorado game would be 180 different if the Akron game happened is unprovable speculation and honestly sounds weak AF.

I was about to post something similar, but was on my phone when I lost what I was typing and didn't feel like writing it all over again.

If we earn it then fine. I'm just saying that it won't matter one way or another for something that matters this little.

What do you mean by earned? If we go 5 and 6 and end up not making the bowl because we didn't play Akron, that wouldn't be right to the kids that played this year. If scheduling an FCS opponent is what it takes, then I hope that is what's done.

How do you think the game in Boulder next yr goes?

What do you mean by earned? If we go 5 and 6 and end up not making the bowl because we didn't play Akron, that wouldn't be right to the kids that played this year. If scheduling an FCS opponent is what it takes, then I hope that is what's done.

Won't someone think about the kids.

Dumb take. It was pretty obvious that NU would have benefitted from a game one to have tape on things to clean up plus getting extra game experience.

U saying that in no way would playing a first game have helped NU is actually a pretty dumb take and sounds more like trollsville to me.

Naw teams dont get better the more they play, how could one think something that logical would work. Young team, young qb new system, equals u get better the more u play.

Yeah it js speculation, but it is also pretty logical that NU has a better chance of beating CU if they played a game one...

Dumb take. It was pretty obvious that NU would have benefitted from a game one to have tape on things to clean up plus getting extra game experience.

U saying that in no way would playing a first game have helped NU is actually a pretty dumb take and sounds more like trollsville to me.

Naw teams dont get better the more they play, how could one think something that logical would work. Young team, young qb new system, equals u get better the more u play.

Yeah it js speculation, but it is also pretty logical that NU has a better chance of beating CU if they played a game one...

it is speculation, but I put the Colorado game as an extreme outlier in terms of outcomes - 350 yards rushing and losing a game is something that just doesn't happen that often. Having a game one likely reduces the chances of that second game being that big of an outlier in outcomes.

Reactions: husker2612
If you have ever coached any team from young kids to high school. Game 1-2 is the most improvement from any game in the season. College and Pro is no different. I am fairly certain if we had Akron week one many of the mistakes that happened against CU, wouldn't have happened. We dominated CU on both sides of the ball. The stats back that up. While nothing is 100%, If those mistakes don't happen the result is most likely a win.

It’s pretty obvious the CU trolls know they caught a massive break when the Akron game was cancelled. Hell, one of their half-wit fans was on the board immediately after the cancellation trying to explain why it gave NU an advantage. Asinine. It put NU at a huge disadvantage and it is dishonest to suggest otherwise. But it wasn’t CU’s fault NU’s game was cancelled, so they don’t need to apologize for catching a break. Still, their half-wit fans on this board are threatened by the thought of a lucky break going their way.

Yeah, it’s a hypothetical. The whole thread is a hypothetical. Don’t feel so threatened by the idea that CU got a break.

If you have ever coached any team from young kids to high school. Game 1-2 is the most improvement from any game in the season. College and Pro is no different. I am fairly certain if we had Akron week one many of the mistakes that happened against CU, wouldn't have happened. We dominated CU on both sides of the ball. The stats back that up. While nothing is 100%, If those mistakes don't happen the result is most likely a win.

But Colorado also has a week of Nebraska game film to look at, so their defense probably doesn't get gashed like it did in the first half. Seems as if they made some decent adjustments at half to limit Nebraska to only 7 points in the 2nd half. If they have game film and don't miss 2 field goals it is a different game.

Dumb take. I never said there was no way playing in the first game would have changed anything. I rebutted the post saying Nebraska absolutely would have beaten Colorado if the had played Akron. Simply no way to know that. That is what I am saying. Go back, reread and try again.

Only one stat matters, care to guess which one? I’ll wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT