ADVERTISEMENT

The day after

I was at the game. There was some talk here prior to the game about bad experiences with CU fans. I had no problem with any fans and in fact some fans were thanking my group and me for showing up. We had a quiet, relaxing time back at the car after the game and no one said a mean word to us.

It is obvious Sims is not a quarterback. The kid is a stud. Loaded with physical gifts, but his fumbles and lack of seeing the field on passing downs are negatives that I do not believe he can overcome.

I thought the Nebraska gang in the northwest corner of the stadium did a great job of supporting the Huskers. If the team played as well as we cheered, the team would have won the game.

Having pondered yesterday’s loss overnight I have reached a few conclusions. Interested in what others think.

1. Sims must be benched and should have been benched at the half yesterday. I don’t care who is behind him on the depth chart. Whoever it is, Purdy or Haarberg, they have to be better than Sims.
2. Rhule’s evaluation of QB talent is highly suspect. Who in the hell told him Sims was a serviceable project? His buddies in the profession?
3. Rhule is yet another stubborn and arrogant coach who is going to stick with “his guy” at QB no matter what. Very bad sign.
4. We need to play our talented young receivers over these talentless older guys. Watching the “feel good story” Bullocks drop a 15 yard pass was painful. He should not be a starter.
5. If I were Grant I would transfer. Apparently Rhule plays favorites when it comes to playing guys who turn it over.
6. Rahmir is our best running back.
7. We were better without Ty Robinson in the game.

At the moment I disagree on the QB comments. It's too early to make drastic moves and I feel like the (3) fumbles are easily correctable. The interceptions are my main concern, but I'm willing to see how the next few games go before looking to make any change. Hoping a few games at Memorial Stadium can settle Sims down.

Were there any other plays other than the one drop by Bullock that make you want him out of the starting line up? He looked fairly solid versus Minnesota in the few opportunities he had (not focusing on the wide open TD).

Grant transferring would be similar to the above quick draw decisions. I look forward to seeing the guy work through the adversity and contributing as the season goes along. We need him in Big 10 play.

Rahmir - Is solid but we can't run him up the middle frequently in Big 10 play. Hoping the offense can stop pissing down their leg so we can see an actual offense where he has a true 3rd down/pass play role.

Agree that we looked better versus Colorado without Ty, but I think that had a lot to do with the style of offense we were playing. He's not one you want trying to sack a QB like Sanders. He will be critical against Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Editing to add.. A good example is Ty was very good against Minnesota, while Lendhart really appeared to struggle (of course this was also his first game as a true freshman). And Lendhart looked like an Freshman All American vs Colorado.

It was very encouraging to see the 3-3-5 work well against a power run team in Minnesota and a spread fast skill team like Colorado.

Last edited:
At the moment I disagree on the QB comments. It's too early to make drastic moves and I feel like the (3) fumbles are easily correctable. The interceptions are my main concern, but I'm willing to see how the next few games go before looking to make any change. Hoping a few games at Memorial Stadium can settle Sims down.

Were there any other plays other than the one drop by Bullock that make you want him out of the starting line up? He looked fairly solid versus Minnesota in the few opportunities he had (not focusing on the wide open TD).

Grant transferring would be similar to the above quick draw decisions. I look forward to seeing the guy work through the adversity and contributing as the season goes along. We need him in Big 10 play.

Rahmir - Is solid but we can't run him up the middle frequently in Big 10 play. Hoping the offense can stop pissing down their leg so we can see an actual offense where he has a true 3rd down/pass play role.

Agree that we looked better versus Colorado without Ty, but I think that had a lot to do with the style of offense we were playing. He's not one you want trying to sack a QB like Sanders. He will be critical against Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Editing to add.. A good example is Ty was very good against Minnesota, while Lendhart really appeared to struggle (of course this was also his first game as a true freshman). And Lendhart looked like an Freshman All American vs Colorado.

It was very encouraging to see the 3-3-5 work well against a power run team in Minnesota and a spread fast skill team like Colorado.
All solid points.

Game 2 of year one of what we all knew was going to be a rebuild. He missed with his QB. That can be fixed. They can still make a bowl game. He's doing a ton of stuff right. Husker fans being knowledgeable is laughable.

Things are not completely fvcked.
The funny thing is, even with what I have said over the last couple of days, I agree with this sentiment to an extent. It's just tough as a fan to watch....for all of us. It is pretty easy to see the situation as hopeless. Unfortunately, we have been conditioned to feel that way over at least the last ten years or so.

After taking some emotion out of it, I think we have to give him a chance to evaluate what they are doing wrong and how to fix it. That's why he is making 9 a year. Some of that is a flat out talent deficiency. We all know that. Some of it may have to do with tweaking things to fit the talent you have. Hopefully we see that.

Irt coaching, I get it when you think you can "fix" someone. You see the talent and the potential. It's a fine line in between helping that player be the best they can be.....and giving up on them too quickly.

In hindsight, I've been guilty of that myself.....and I was nowhere near as good of a coach as anyone on the staff.

It's just tough as a fan to watch....for all of us.
I Guess If You Say So GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT