ADVERTISEMENT

The day after

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Having pondered yesterday’s loss overnight I have reached a few conclusions. Interested in what others think.

1. Sims must be benched and should have been benched at the half yesterday. I don’t care who is behind him on the depth chart. Whoever it is, Purdy or Haarberg, they have to be better than Sims.
2. Rhule’s evaluation of QB talent is highly suspect. Who in the hell told him Sims was a serviceable project? His buddies in the profession?
3. Rhule is yet another stubborn and arrogant coach who is going to stick with “his guy” at QB no matter what. Very bad sign.
4. We need to play our talented young receivers over these talentless older guys. Watching the “feel good story” Bullocks drop a 15 yard pass was painful. He should not be a starter.
5. If I were Grant I would transfer. Apparently Rhule plays favorites when it comes to playing guys who turn it over.
6. Rahmir is our best running back.
7. We were better without Ty Robinson in the game.

Agree with everything except grant transferring. I think he is our most dynamic back and needs to be in the game, I wish him to earn his way back into the games and prove the doubters wrong. Rhamir is our most complete back, he should get most of the touches. I see nothing special with Gabe , make him the FB.

Agree with everything except grant transferring. I think he is our most dynamic back and needs to be in the game, I wish him to earn his way back into the games and prove the doubters wrong. Rhamir is our most complete back, he should get most of the touches. I see nothing special with Gabe , make him the FB.
Oh I agree on all counts. I am simply saying that if I were Grant I would transfer and tell Rhule to go pound sand. But I hope he stays. Ervin should be third string or, as you say, made into a fullback.

So far, and despite all of my pre season kool aid drinking, Rhule has been a flop.

Reactions: RedBaloneyPony
I think the team gave up shortly into the second half. I’ll need more data on Robinson.

Agree with the rest. Another lost year
I need more data on Robinson as well. My observations are purely subjective. Seemed like we had more pressure on the QB and more backfield disruption in general with his backup in the game. But maybe that is a false impression.

Reactions: arf_man
Having pondered yesterday’s loss overnight I have reached a few conclusions. Interested in what others think.

1. Sims must be benched and should have been benched at the half yesterday. I don’t care who is behind him on the depth chart. Whoever it is, Purdy or Haarberg, they have to be better than Sims.
2. Rhule’s evaluation of QB talent is highly suspect. Who in the hell told him Sims was a serviceable project? His buddies in the profession?
3. Rhule is yet another stubborn and arrogant coach who is going to stick with “his guy” at QB no matter what. Very bad sign.
4. We need to play our talented young receivers over these talentless older guys. Watching the “feel good story” Bullocks drop a 15 yard pass was painful. He should not be a starter.
5. If I were Grant I would transfer. Apparently Rhule plays favorites when it comes to playing guys who turn it over.

Rhule straight up didn’t have the offense ready to go for the season.

I just checked the NCAA rules, and there is nothing saying Nebraska has to be unprepared every season.

I still think Rhule was a good hire, but we also overpaid for him and he isn’t earning that salary.

Things just got real for Rhule. No one is going to buy his coach propaganda, know-it-all bs anymore.

F-ing show up, Huskers!!!

They ought to just put a dome on Memorial Stadium and let the volleyball team have it because the football team sucks again.

Rhule straight up didn’t have the offense ready to go for the season.

I just checked the NCAA rules, and there is nothing saying Nebraska has to be unprepared every season.

I still think Rhule was a good hire, but we also overpaid for him and he isn’t earning that salary.

Things just got real for Rhule. No one is going to buy his coach propaganda, know-it-all bs anymore.

F-ing show up, Huskers!!!
Amen to all of this. I bought into the Rhule preacher boy message. He is a slick talker for sure. I wonder if he is still having "the time of his life at NU" as he said a month ago? I doubt it. And if our offense continues to perform as it has Rhule is about to find out just how big of a pressure cooker he really walked into. This is the worst offense I have seen at Nebraska in my lifetime. And I am 65. And that is Rhule's fault. At this point I too still think the Rhule hire was a good one. I think he can get it done. But he has made some big, big mistakes with the offense and if he does not correct them they will be his undoing here. I like him, but what I have seen so far is total bullshit on offense.

I need more data on Robinson as well. My observations are purely subjective. Seemed like we had more pressure on the QB and more backfield disruption in general with his backup in the game. But maybe that is a false impression.
The team, man…

You could see the fighting spirit leave them after the offense shit the bed for the 3rd turnover. The defense realized their efforts were futile

We can make as many excuses as we want. I had some folks over for the games yesterday. We watched football all day long while the kids played. There were no teams I saw as bad on offense as the Huskers. None. My one buddy is a Wolverine fan, UNLV looked more sound than us losing to an Elite team

We are an embarrassment, I feel for the kids. This staff is a joke and it’s terrible that is the TRUTH two games into the season. What did they practice?

I’ll give the defense credit because they fought for as long as they could. But Colorado isn’t even a good team. Their lines are bottom tier and Sanders boy will get murdered come conference play. The PAC is tough

Oh I agree on all counts. I am simply saying that if I were Grant I would transfer and tell Rhule to go pound sand. But I hope he stays. Ervin should be third string or, as you say, made into a fullback.

So far, and despite all of my pre season kool aid drinking, Rhule has been a flop.
I want to see consistency with Rhule. Can’t keep trotting sims out turnover after turnover if you’re going to bench other players. I’d like to see what Harberg can do, sure he’s going to make mistakes but he might also have a gamer/leader mental makeup that Sims is currently lacking.

I'm very disappointed in Rhule making a preseason statement that if you turn the ball over you don't play. Yet they keep trotting Sims out there.

It's not good for Sims and it's definitely not good for this team.
It sounded good at the time, given the accountability we all desired as fans. However, it now absolutely ruins credibility. I can get my head around a pick a game if you are throwing a couple of TD’s but the fumbles yesterday on perfect snaps and basic hand-offs … these are even worse than Grant’s fumble vs Minny.

RE #1 - Sims has to be benched. The Risk vs Reward is too much to keep playing him. Our Offense just needs a QB that can manage the game and keep the chains moving. Throw the ball away if the pass is not there or tuck and run for as many yards he can get.

RE #5 - Grant should transfer. He just dances around for no gain and fumbles the ball at critical times. He can go be a problem elsewhere.

Point not mentioned, why do we have the most inept Offensive line 6 years running in P5? Can’t even get enough push for a one yard gain to get a first down. Just pathetic!

First of all where is Grant going to transfer to? He is a 6th year senior!

Sims is not good. Football dumb and lazy. Appears to be anyways

Coleman has 2 games already played with zero targets.

This defense will be very good by years end if they don’t quit on this offense

Matty appears to be lost and confused. Not giving up on him yet but he better get his shit together

Patience, men, patience. Rhule is a builder and it takes time. Stop throwing him under the bus. You guys sound like the naysayers who moan and complain about every little thing. You are probably the guys who wanted to fire Osborne back in the 70's. Give this coaching and the team a break. You want instant gratification but you're going to have to wait and be patient for Rhule and company to figure this thing out.

Patience, men, patience. Rhule is a builder and it takes time. Stop throwing him under the bus. You guys sound like the naysayers who moan and complain about every little thing. You are probably the guys who wanted to fire Osborne back in the 70's. Give this coaching and the team a break. You want instant gratification but you're going to have to wait and be patient for Rhule and company to figure this thing out.
I still feel Rhule is our guy (with the long term contract he has to be…right? lol)

Seriously, fix two things on Offense and we’ll be way more competitive in games. O-line (namely left guard and left tackle) and get a QB that is smart with the football and at a minimum can just manage the game.

Last edited:
The team, man…

You could see the fighting spirit leave them after the offense shit the bed for the 3rd turnover. The defense realized their efforts were futile

We can make as many excuses as we want. I had some folks over for the games yesterday. We watched football all day long while the kids played. There were no teams I saw as bad on offense as the Huskers. None. My one buddy is a Wolverine fan, UNLV looked more sound than us losing to an Elite team

We are an embarrassment, I feel for the kids. This staff is a joke and it’s terrible that is the TRUTH two games into the season. What did they practice?

I’ll give the defense credit because they fought for as long as they could. But Colorado isn’t even a good team. Their lines are bottom tier and Sanders boy will get murdered come conference play. The PAC is tough
Yep. Worst offense from a P5 team I have seen in a long, long time. And that includes Iowa's awful offense of the past few years. And that is on this coaching staff. I have seen Juco QB's with more talent than Sims. You mean to tell me Sims was the only possible QB transfer dude they could have gotten? That he is the best they could do?? I don't believe that. This debacle is on these coaches for passing on other possible transfer targets to take this turnover machine instead.

Satterfield needs to revamp the offense within the confines of what the QB he was handed by his head coach can do .. which means

no shotgun bc the QB cant catch a snap
no motion because the QB gets flummoxed
no passes bc he cant throw and the receivers cant get open or catch
no handoffs bc he struggles with this task

basically the only thing left on the play sheet is QB sneaks

Amen to all of this. I bought into the Rhule preacher boy message. He is a slick talker for sure.
I'm starting to be a little worried about this. I was happy to have a coach who could say all the right things during the off season after dealing with Frost, but now I'm wondering if it was nothing but talk and people will stop buying into it.

What I want to see is how stubborn he gets and how long it takes him to realize things aren't working.

I know Wisconsin lost yesterday, but they still looked way better than us with a new coach and a completely different offense than they are used to.

I love this!

I mentioned before that the coaches hate us fans (they do, just like we hate them when the team sucks) and of course posters freaked out, demanding "proof" that the coaches hate us.

As far as benching Sims, I get it and I have been a FB coach for a long time. It is really hard to bench your QB when you really feel/know that he is the best guy for the job. It is hard to explain, maybe it is ego or locality, I don't know, but it is not like a video game where you just change the guy.

Now, he sort of got a "freebie" because Sims is dinged up, so now he has an excuse, which trust me, is really really helpful.

Also, this staff is annoying and they should all be fired!

Reactions: HuskerDana
Dudes, stop being pissed we won't win 6 or 7 or 8 games. We were never going to. Rhule has stated so over and over if you have been paying attention. We have a serious lack of talent all over the place. Year 1 is gonna be rough. Show these kids some support. Hell, year 2 might even be rough.

I knew this was gonna be a rough year when I saw how many seniors we had. It's brutal. I didn't really want to believe it but Jesus, I had 3 times that number on my class B football team.

At the end of the day, I'm just as pissed about CU getting instant success, but let the year play out. NU will be back again. Hopefully before I die. Go watch the video on Twitter of the NU fans beating up on some drunk CU fans in the stands from yesterday. It will make you feel better.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
Dudes, stop being pissed we won't win 6 or 7 or 8 games. We were never going to. Rhule has stated so over and over if you have been paying attention. We have a serious lack of talent all over the place. Year 1 is gonna be rough. Show these kids some support. Hell, year 2 might even be rough.

I knew this was gonna be a rough year when I saw how many seniors we had. It's brutal. I didn't really want to believe it but Jesus, I had 3 times that number on my class B football team.

At the end of the day, I'm just as pissed about CU getting instant success, but let the year play out. NU will be back again. Hopefully before I die. Go watch the video on Twitter of the NU fans beating up on some drunk CU fans in the stands from yesterday. It will make you feel better.
Oh shit, are we about to hear how 75% of the guys on your HS team benched over 300 and how everyone ran a 4.3?

I kid, I kid.

Sort of :)

Gotta disagree with several of your takes. First Grant has to fix his own issues. Second Ervin is our best overall back. Rhamir played well but he doesn’t break tackles like Ervin. Third, I think you’re too quick to judge Rhule on the QB issue. He was desperate to find a QB in the portal given what he saw on last fall’s practice and game video. Rick Shaw says we don’t have a serviceable backup. His opinion unfortunately Carrie’s a lot of weight with me.

You will note that Rhule refused to put Sims back in the game after he left with the ankle tweak. That wasn’t because of the injury. HH got an audition. Hopefully Rhule saw enough to start HH this Saturday. To this point everybody I’ve heard speak who has watched practice has said that Sims was much better in practice in the pass game. That said, he needs to sit. Rhule may very well start Sims this weekend but I have to believe that the leash has gotten far shorter.

We had 20 seniors and 18 of us started on one of the smallest class B schools in the state. 2 years later they were class C. That said, the size of the senior class isn’t the problem. It’s primarily QB.

Observations:
1. Rhule needs to find a transfer QB stat.
2. It’s tough to open the season on the road vs 2 power five teams in a rebuild project
3. Defense is playing way better than I expected - 8 sacks! 11 TFL’s!!
4. Special teams are improved
5. Season isn’t lost yet. Win the next two, get better and move on to conference play.

No matter what our defense and special teams did yesterday we were guaranteed to lose because of how bad Sims and the offense are. Think about that.

Our defense and special teams were ready to dive in for the season, but Rhule was busy tying a cinder block to their ankle named Sims, so they sank straight to the bottom.

Husker football 2023, baby!

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Observations:
1. Rhule needs to find a transfer QB stat.
2. It’s tough to open the season on the road vs 2 power five teams in a rebuild project
3. Defense is playing way better than I expected - 8 sacks! 11 TFL’s!!
4. Special teams are improved
5. Season isn’t lost yet. Win the next two, get better and move on to conference play.
Absolutely correct BUT our incoming freshman QB could very well start day one next fall

No matter what our defense and special teams did yesterday we were guaranteed to lose because of how bad Sims and the offense are. Think about that.

Our defense and special teams were ready to dive in for the season, but Rhule was busy tying a cinder block to their ankle named Sims, so they sank straight to the bottom.

Husker football 2023, baby!
Lots of college coaches and NFL GMs have whiffed on QBs. Rhule had little time to find a guy. Let’s see what they do going forward. There’s some things to like on offense in the run game. Need a better trigger man.

1955 called, they want the submissive housewife attitude back.

Reactions: nu2u
Lots of college coaches and NFL GMs have whiffed on QBs. Rhule had little time to find a guy. Let’s see what they do going forward. There’s some things to like on offense in the run game. Need a better trigger man.
Yeah he whiffed in the NFL on QBs too

I’ll hold for the next BS excuse on that… Let me guess, his GM was a bully. 😢

I agree with everything. It was like you put my thoughts on paper. #3 worries me the most. I hate. Absolutely hate, stubborn coaches who think they are smarter than everyone else. He did it by just recruiting the turnover machine and now he is doubling down by not pulling him.

One note on Ty. I think he's a good run stuffer. Never had the speed and quickness as a pass rusher.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Absolutely correct BUT our incoming freshman QB could very well start day one next fall
our incoming freshman QB has been severely outplayed by the opposing teams QB in 2 of the 4 games he has played in this year

he isn't completing 50% of his passes and he is throwing pics as well (18/39 for 144 and a pick vs Omaha N) -- this is despite having power 5 level receivers

I'm very disappointed in Rhule making a preseason statement that if you turn the ball over you don't play. Yet they keep trotting Sims out there.

It's not good for Sims and it's definitely not good for this team.
Well, grant didn’t play yesterday, and just because he played Sims yesterday, doesn’t mean he won’t sit him. I didn’t agree with running him out there the 2nd half, but we will see going forward. I think it gets a little trickier mid game, the reality is, his #1 qb has a major problem with turning the ball over, which is a major problem for Rhule.

Amen to all of this. I bought into the Rhule preacher boy message. He is a slick talker for sure. I wonder if he is still having "the time of his life at NU" as he said a month ago? I doubt it. And if our offense continues to perform as it has Rhule is about to find out just how big of a pressure cooker he really walked into. This is the worst offense I have seen at Nebraska in my lifetime. And I am 65. And that is Rhule's fault. At this point I too still think the Rhule hire was a good one. I think he can get it done. But he has made some big, big mistakes with the offense and if he does not correct them they will be his undoing here. I like him, but what I have seen so far is total bullshit on offense.
I am not sure the offense is correctable.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Gotta disagree with several of your takes. First Grant has to fix his own issues. Second Ervin is our best overall back. Rhamir played well but he doesn’t break tackles like Ervin. Third, I think you’re too quick to judge Rhule on the QB issue. He was desperate to find a QB in the portal given what he saw on last fall’s practice and game video. Rick Shaw says we don’t have a serviceable backup. His opinion unfortunately Carrie’s a lot of weight with me.

You will note that Rhule refused to put Sims back in the game after he left with the ankle tweak. That wasn’t because of the injury. HH got an audition. Hopefully Rhule saw enough to start HH this Saturday. To this point everybody I’ve heard speak who has watched practice has said that Sims was much better in practice in the pass game. That said, he needs to sit. Rhule may very well start Sims this weekend but I have to believe that the leash has gotten far shorter.
Can't say I find much to disagree with here. I am not saying that Grant should just get a pass. I am saying you cannot claim that if you commit turnovers that you will not play for us and then keep Sims in. And that kind of inconsistency of approach is what causes players to transfer. Now, to be fair, Rhule has options at running back that he does not have at QB, as you correctly point out. And that is probably why Sims stays in despite the turnovers. Still, many really good coaches, including Osborne, would occasionally sit his QB starter for series or two if he was screwing up just to clear his head and get him settled down. Furthermore, if Haarberg and Purdy are both worse than Sims then God help us. How could they be worse? I do not care if Sims is the best passer in practice. When he shows up in a real game situation and commits six turnovers in two games -- which cost us both games -- then you sit his ass. You give the other dudes a chance because as any good coach knows there are players who practice well but play like crap in a real game, and players who do not do as well in practice but do much better in a real game. And let's face it, better passer or not, he is not getting our offense into the end zone and that is what matters. And he hands the ball to the other team all the time.

I am glad Haarberg eventually got in. And he did fairly well. He therefore deserves a shot. I hope Rhule gives it to him. Because Sims needs to sit.

As for Rahmir vs Ervin ... we will have to agree to disagree. My thinking is that Rahmir gives us better big play possibilities and in an offense devoid of big play type guys I think you need to get that kind of talent on the field. Ervin did have one big run but I wondered at the time if Rahmir had been in if he would not have taken that run to the house due to his greater speed. Ervin had a nice hole to run in for that run and I think Rahmir would have gotten more out of it. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT