ADVERTISEMENT

The day after

I'm very disappointed in Rhule making a preseason statement that if you turn the ball over you don't play. Yet they keep trotting Sims out there.

It's not good for Sims and it's definitely not good for this team.
Sims has to go without doubt. Only so many talented players on this team and will be that for at least a couple more years and then who knows. As for Ruhle: he is not going anywhere anytime soon so we can complain all we want but he is the coach for the foresee able future.

Reactions: libbity bibbity
As for Ruhle: he is not going anywhere anytime soon so we can complain all we want but he is the coach for the foresee able future.

Can we stop giving coaches 8 year contracts?

If a coach demands that long of a contract, I'd rather just tell them to F off and go hire some young hungry coach who is eager to prove himself. Tell him you have 2 years to make a bowl game or you're out. We better be in the Top 25 by Year 3.

With the transfer portal and NIL, there is no such thing as long-term builds anymore. You hire someone who can bring in talent right away.

Sippin coffee on the 24th floor of the Horsehoe staring at the Bellagio and Ceasers and the strip...gettin ready to head to the Grand Canyon after an amazing evening...glad I missed the game yesterday...sounded pretty bad. Cheers...

Having pondered yesterday’s loss overnight I have reached a few conclusions. Interested in what others think.

1. Sims must be benched and should have been benched at the half yesterday. I don’t care who is behind him on the depth chart. Whoever it is, Purdy or Haarberg, they have to be better than Sims.
2. Rhule’s evaluation of QB talent is highly suspect. Who in the hell told him Sims was a serviceable project? His buddies in the profession?
3. Rhule is yet another stubborn and arrogant coach who is going to stick with “his guy” at QB no matter what. Very bad sign.
4. We need to play our talented young receivers over these talentless older guys. Watching the “feel good story” Bullocks drop a 15 yard pass was painful. He should not be a starter.
5. If I were Grant I would transfer. Apparently Rhule plays favorites when it comes to playing guys who turn it over.
6. Rahmir is our best running back.
7. We were better without Ty Robinson in the game.
1. Agree. Even Woche could be better than now. We know what we have with Sims, that won't change. Even if HH stumbles a couple games they can't wet their pants and not let him grow into it.

2. Sims GA Tech turnovers should have been a red flag. I can't believe there wasn't better in the portal.

3. Looking that way. The greatest leaders (Patton, MacArthur, etc.) ALWAYS got next man up when someone wasn't getting it done.

4. That drop was big. Agree on the youngins.

5. Not sure what you mean here. I put the third fumble on Sims, not Ervin.

6. I think if they truly want to be a team to pound the rock, Ervin is the guy. Not to say Rahmir shouldn't play a lot.

7. Maybe for that style of offense, but will need him for the B1G bruiser teams.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Some things are better just two games in: defense and special teams. That’s 2/3 of the game.

But the offense is so putrid, and it starts with the QB. The fact this staff favored Sims over Casey Thompson is unforgivable. I don’t care that Sims was a better runner and Casey was recovering from injury. Casey is a legit FBS QB, and Sims is not. If you’re supposedly one of better football hires, I expect you to have a better feel for the most important position on the team.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I love this!

I mentioned before that the coaches hate us fans (they do, just like we hate them when the team sucks) and of course posters freaked out, demanding "proof" that the coaches hate us.

As far as benching Sims, I get it and I have been a FB coach for a long time. It is really hard to bench your QB when you really feel/know that he is the best guy for the job. It is hard to explain, maybe it is ego or locality, I don't know, but it is not like a video game where you just change the guy.

Now, he sort of got a "freebie" because Sims is dinged up, so now he has an excuse, which trust me, is really really helpful.

Also, this staff is annoying and they should all be fired!
Totally agree....benching ANYONE that has proven in practice to be better....especially your qb.

This is really a much easier decision, though. If Rhule trots him back out there on Saturday night, I'm going to have some pretty serious reservations on just how good of a coach he is. Simply because, you now risk losing the rest of the team.

You can not preach about consequences, then not apply it to everyone.

Still, many really good coaches, including Osborne, would occasionally sit his QB starter for series or two if he was screwing up just to clear his head and get him settled down. Furthermore, if Haarberg and Purdy are both worse than Sims then God help us. How could they be worse? I do not care if Sims is the best passer in practice. When he shows up in a real game situation and commits six turnovers in two games -- which cost us both games -- then you sit his ass.
This^
You have to have depth ready to play. Purdy and Haarberg have been in college for several years now. If they’re worse than Sims current performance, then there’s no hope.
I’m a big fan of the ‘clear your head for a series’ bench. It shows accountability and serves as a reset, same as most every other player on the roster.
And if your backup goes and moves the ball, then you ride them.

QB’s need to be allowed to make mistakes and keep their confidence up, they’re not perfect.
BUT the insanely quick widening margin of TOs to TDs is the definition of a losing recipe and way out of line with FBS level football.

Totally agree....benching ANYONE that has proven in practice to be better....especially your qb.

This is really a much easier decision, though. If Rhule trots him back out there on Saturday night, I'm going to have some pretty serious reservations on just how good of a coach he is. Simply because, you now risk losing the rest of the team.

You can not preach about consequences, then not apply it to everyone.
I mean, you can treat players differently IF they are a star.

By the way, Prime is gonna start to get any kid he wants. Snoop Dog is doing commercials for him, Michael Irvin is on the sidelines.

It is not a huge issue for NU since we won't play them all that often but that CU President might have made an amazing hire.

Reactions: HuskerDana

By the way, Prime is gonna start to get any kid he wants. Snoop Dog is doing commercials for him, Michael Irvin is on the sidelines.

It is not a huge issue for NU since we won't play them all that often but that CU President might have made an amazing hire.
I wouldn’t bet the farm on Prime just yet. He might not finish the year. His blood clot issue is extremely serious.

Dudes, stop being pissed we won't win 6 or 7 or 8 games. We were never going to. Rhule has stated so over and over if you have been paying attention. We have a serious lack of talent all over the place. Year 1 is gonna be rough. Show these kids some support. Hell, year 2 might even be rough.

I knew this was gonna be a rough year when I saw how many seniors we had. It's brutal. I didn't really want to believe it but Jesus, I had 3 times that number on my class B football team.

At the end of the day, I'm just as pissed about CU getting instant success, but let the year play out. NU will be back again. Hopefully before I die. Go watch the video on Twitter of the NU fans beating up on some drunk CU fans in the stands from yesterday. It will make you feel better.
Show the guys support... And yet you just disparaged them by saying they don't even have the talent to meet the most minimal expectations here. The fans who have shown the most support are the ones who are pissed at such a crap product constantly being put on the field but they continue to watch and support anyway. The fair weather fans are the ones who constantly excuse the terrible product on the field and the ones who have already checked out.

To an extent, yes. Especially irt to a qb. For one, they handle the ball every play. Turnovers will happen...even for the best. I was referring to unforced errors. The best case scenario would have been for Rhule to bench Sims after his second turnover. Even if it was until just until half. Doing so would have not only sent a message to him, but the rest of the team. A message that yes, everyone will be held accountable.

Edit: Also, as an example...we did that once with a kid thar was SUPER athletic. He practiced really well, also. (Not sure, but I assume that to be the case for Sims). Anyway, he had like 4 turnovers in our first game. We were lucky enough to overcome them. Then, he turned it over on a terrible decision on a play we called OVER (pass play). He threw a terrible int on the plus side of something like their 20.

This was after a dropped snap (and something esle...I cant remember because I'm over 50 and old now, lol) on our first possession. We sat him until halftime. He went back in and played pretty well. He didn't necessarily light it up, but the unforced mistakes stopped.

By mid-season, he was ridiculously good, however. I just think he started to realize how important it was to focus on details ....and to protect the ball. I give him a ton of credit for that. He eventually moved to slot the next season and was one of the most mentally tough kids on the team. One of our biggest leaders.

Sims situation is probably different. I am probably totally wrong in thinking that might work to handle him that way. He is a senior, so he probably is what he is. But....I think it is important for Rhule to send a message early on in his tenure, regardless.
Yep. I already said this....I totally agree with you.
Again, I totally agree. I think everyone viewed that movie as a high risk/high reward move. Unfortunately, it looks like it is going to come up on the high reward side for a complete shithead fanbase. Go figure.

Last edited:
Satterfield needs to revamp the offense within the confines of what the QB he was handed by his head coach can do .. which means

no shotgun bc the QB cant catch a snap
no motion because the QB gets flummoxed
no passes bc he cant throw and the receivers cant get open or catch
no handoffs bc he struggles with this task

basically the only thing left on the play sheet is QB sneaks
Put him in at RB, then. That's what he brings to the table.

Reactions: king_kong_
Put him in at RB, then. That's what he brings to the table.
maybe -- he can't hand the ball off are we sure he can take a handoff?
we know damn well that we can't run anything resembling the wild cat because that would involve fielding a shot gun snap

Again, I totally agree. I think everyone viewed that movie as a high risk/high reward move. Unfortunately, it looks like it is going to come up on the high reward side for a complete shithead fanbase. Go figure.
Colorado is going to struggle in conference play. Their defense is going to get lit up. They'll score points for sure, but the pac 12 has competent qb play and want to play uptempo with the buffs.

Colorado is going to struggle in conference play. Their defense is going to get lit up. They'll score points for sure, but the pac 12 has competent qb play and want to play uptempo with the buffs.
I have some saying they are "going to the playoffs", this year. I totally agree with you....that isn't going to happen. I would venture to say they will lose four conference games or say. This is still a huge success for them. It is enough to get the attention of recruits. They'll want to play where the bling is.

I have some saying they are "going to the playoffs", this year. I totally agree with you....that isn't going to happen. I would venture to say they will lose four conference games or say. This is still a huge success for them. It is enough to get the attention of recruits. They'll want to play where the bling is.
Utah, USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Oregon st, are all real good football teams. I think Arizona will light up that Colorado defense.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Patience, men, patience. Rhule is a builder and it takes time. Stop throwing him under the bus. You guys sound like the naysayers who moan and complain about every little thing. You are probably the guys who wanted to fire Osborne back in the 70's. Give this coaching and the team a break. You want instant gratification but you're going to have to wait and be patient for Rhule and company to figure this thing out.
The same people complaint about not winning games are the same people who were predicting 3-4 wins based on Rhule’s past history of having terrible first years at previous stops. It’s as if they forgot they predicted 3 wins total for the year.

RE #1 - Sims has to be benched. The Risk vs Reward is too much to keep playing him. Our Offense just needs a QB that can manage the game and keep the chains moving. Throw the ball away if the pass is not there or tuck and run for as many yards he can get.

RE #5 - Grant should transfer. He just dances around for no gain and fumbles the ball at critical times. He can go be a problem elsewhere.

Point not mentioned, why do we have the most inept Offensive line 6 years running in P5? Can’t even get enough push for a one yard gain to get a first down. Just pathetic!
Seems like the left side of the line gets beaten often

Sippin coffee on the 24th floor of the Horsehoe staring at the Bellagio and Ceasers and the strip...gettin ready to head to the Grand Canyon after an amazing evening...glad I missed the game yesterday...sounded pretty bad. Cheers...
It was infuriating. Every time we were on offense, you were looking for how he was going to turn it over. Penalties, blunders, mishaps, poor execution among all offensive starters . Completely inexcusable.

We all see what this team is right now, if they end up in a bowl game at the end of the year, I’m assuming everyone will give MR some credit? I’m inclined to let things play out myself..

We can only hope Rhule doesn’t make the same mistake Frost did of riding with an inept QB for far too long. They thought Sims was their guy, he’s just not. Ditch the pride and pivot now. Sorry I don’t care if HH or CP “aren’t as good,” you simply cannot keep putting a player on the field that’s losing you games.

Reactions: scarletred
I’ll add my two cents I believe los the Minnesota game really hurt their confidence mojo whatever. Going foreword they need confidence have to win the next two games and play respectable against Michigan. Also need to bench sims and piper maybe even turner if teddy can finally play. our receivers have always had difficulty getting separation except for
some top players like trey. But I give some slack because we are playing a lot of young guys. I will add Satt needs to make his play book smaller just like last year at South Carolina he simplified it and Rattler took off

I’ll add my two cents I believe los the Minnesota game really hurt their confidence mojo whatever. Going foreword they need confidence have to win the next two games and play respectable against Michigan. Also need to bench sims and piper maybe even turner if teddy can finally play. our receivers have always had difficulty getting separation except for
some top players like trey. But I give some slack because we are playing a lot of young guys. I will add Satt needs to make his play book smaller just like last year at South Carolina he simplified it and Rattler took off
We are playing hardly any young guys on offense

Having pondered yesterday’s loss overnight I have reached a few conclusions. Interested in what others think.

1. Sims must be benched and should have been benched at the half yesterday. I don’t care who is behind him on the depth chart. Whoever it is, Purdy or Haarberg, they have to be better than Sims.
2. Rhule’s evaluation of QB talent is highly suspect. Who in the hell told him Sims was a serviceable project? His buddies in the profession?
3. Rhule is yet another stubborn and arrogant coach who is going to stick with “his guy” at QB no matter what. Very bad sign.
4. We need to play our talented young receivers over these talentless older guys. Watching the “feel good story” Bullocks drop a 15 yard pass was painful. He should not be a starter.
5. If I were Grant I would transfer. Apparently Rhule plays favorites when it comes to playing guys who turn it over.
6. Rahmir is our best running back.
7. We were better without Ty Robinson in the game.

Agree and add that our offensive line is still putrid. How riola keeps his job is a mystery unless we are going to make a late play for Daylon to flip so he can start immediatly.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Agree and add that our offensive line is still putrid. How riola keeps his job is a mystery unless we are going to make a late play for Daylon to flip so he can start immediatly.
They look like they have cement shoes no forward push and they can’t even hold it looks more like chicken fighting

It sounded good at the time, given the accountability we all desired as fans. However, it now absolutely ruins credibility. I can get my head around a pick a game if you are throwing a couple of TD’s but the fumbles yesterday on perfect snaps and basic hand-offs … these are even worse than Grant’s fumble vs Minny.
Sims has hands of stone - fumbled snaps, dropped the backward pass last week from Grant - some have soft hands, but not Sims!

Satterfield needs to revamp the offense within the confines of what the QB he was handed by his head coach can do .. which means

no shotgun bc the QB cant catch a snap
no motion because the QB gets flummoxed
no passes bc he cant throw and the receivers cant get open or catch
no handoffs bc he struggles with this task

basically the only thing left on the play sheet is QB sneaks
You are exactly right. The best play we have ran all year was our first play of game 1. Linemen foot to foot, two running backs right behind Sims to push the QB, and a four yard gain. We could do this every play and win. 20 play drives, eat up a whole quarter, would be glorious

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT