ADVERTISEMENT

Thank God Osborne is being consulted

That is pure conjecture. We are on pace for 4 wins this year with the easiest part of our schedule behind us.

I can just as easily argue that he isn't going to upgrade the talent here - his classes have been ranked every bit as mediocre as pelinis and this class isn't going to hold based on the teams play

Yet you are posting about what a great hire the Navy coach would be based on exactly what? His recruiting record at Navy? His win/loss record against P5 teams? Oh that's right, he Morman, from Hawaii and runs the triple option.

Everything is conjecture.

Yet you are posting about what a great hire the Navy coach would be based on exactly what? His recruiting record at Navy? His win/loss record against P5 teams? Oh that's right, he Morman, from Hawaii and runs the triple option.

Everything is conjecture.

I posted as a coach to consider. I never said he is going to win here. Or I am convinced he would get it done here

People can just as easily claim things would have deteriorated further if he is kept for 5 years than those saying things would improve.

That is pure conjecture. We are on pace for 4 wins this year with the easiest part of our schedule behind us.

I can just as easily argue that he isn't going to upgrade the talent here - his classes have been ranked every bit as mediocre as pelinis and this class isn't going to hold based on the teams play

It's a hypothesis. We can agree on that.

But I think we have developed an outstanding recruiting infrastructure, added one of the best recruiters in the country, and early reports after NIU were that recruits were defending our staff. Obviously, we would need to win some more games but I think the staff has a very tight bond with a number of our commits. Fire Cav and Davis after this season and upgrade those recruiting positions and I think things would be going very well.

That being said, a new coach is going to have to fight the same battle Riley did when getting this job. That's going to add to the timeline for success.

It's a hypothesis. We can agree on that.

But I think we have developed an outstanding recruiting infrastructure, added one of the best recruiters in the country, and early reports after NIU were that recruits were defending our staff. Obviously, we would need to win some more games but I think the staff has a very tight bond with a number of our commits. Fire Cav and Davis after this season and upgrade those recruiting positions and I think things would be going very well.

That being said, a new coach is going to have to fight the same battle Riley did when getting this job. That's going to add to the timeline for success.

He has a chance to still win this year.

Let's see it.

I've posted this in other places but I think the program would be in a better spot overall if we would allow Riley to build/manage our roster. He is/was going to upgrade the talent of this program. I'm confident of that. If he wasn't winning heading into year 4-5 then fire him and allow the next coach to come in with a significantly better roster. The next coach is going to have to spend 2-4 years ironing it all out just like Riley is doing now.
At what point is this whole upgrade the talent thing going to go away? Riley's rankings are not precipitously better than Bo's. And frankly they both kind of suck. Then you realize that at least three of our top 4* players aren't even on the team now this whole "upgrade the talent" thing is waaaaaaayyyyyyy overblown.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
The more I think about the timing though the more I think they probably needed to do it now. Odds are that Riley isn't going to win enough games to keep his job at this point. IF that happens you want your new AD on board and ready to go. I don't think SE still being here would have bought Riley all that much time. The pitchfork crowd already have the tar heated up and the feathers and rail ready.

I should add that I'll but this if we hire and AD, he completes an evaluation, fires Riley, and goes out and lands a whale. If that doesn't happen this argument falls apart and the timing looks foolish.

He has a chance to still win this year.

Let's see it.

Sure. He does. But I think it was a dirty deed to cut his legs out by firing the AD. Everyone in the country assumes Riley is a dead walking walking right now. Significantly, significantly more than a couple days ago. Riley can win. Sure. But the boat just took on a shit load of water for reasons outside of Riley's control. We don't need to go further if you disagree with that.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
At what point is this whole upgrade the talent thing going to go away? Riley's rankings are not precipitously better than Bo's. And frankly they both kind of suck. Then you realize that at least three of our top 4* players aren't even on the team now this whole "upgrade the talent" thing is waaaaaaayyyyyyy overblown.

Some of us are evaluating more than aggregate Rivals rankings. I did before when Bo was the coach. I'm still doing it now.

It's about the trends and the average star ratings which have obviously improved

Stoops was not a whale. Saban when hired at LSU was not a whale. .....? If urban at Utah was a whale.
Sweeney wasn't a whale. Franklin wasn't a whale. Jimbo wasn't a whale.

The only true whales that have been hired recently were Harbaugh and Meyer post Florida. Maybe there have been others. But most become whales

Last edited:
Stoops was not a whale. Saban was not a whale. .....? If urban at Utah was a whale.

The only true whales that have been hired recently were Harbaugh and Meyer post Florida. Maybe there have been others. But most become whales
Not here to totally refute your point but Saban won a national championship at LSU. Alabama hired a whale.

Stoops was not a whale. Saban was not a whale. ? If urban at Utah was a whale.

We can roll the dice. No question. But trying to be the smartest guy in the room typically fails. And the next coach is going to have lots of the same challenges Riley did. If it's me? I'm not cutting a guy's bag after 2 1/3 to go out and hire someone that doesn't have a significant track record, an established coaching circle, and experience running an elite recruiting system. The next coach isn't going to have ten years to figure it out. 2 1/3 will be the new standard presuming we are consistent.

Sure. He does. But I think it was a dirty deed to cut his legs out by firing the AD. Everyone in the country assumes Riley is a dead walking walking right now. Significantly, significantly more than a couple days ago. Riley can win. Sure. But the boat just took on a shit load of water for reasons outside of Riley's control. We don't need to go further if you disagree with that.

He just completed his easiest 3 game stretch of the season and is on pace for 4 total wins this season before "his legs got cut out".

The boat was capsizing precisely because of things under Riley's control - play on the field

Not here to totally refute your point but Saban won a national championship at LSU. Alabama hired a whale.

Yes. Thank you.

Correction:

He became a whale at LSU not at mich state. LSU did not hire a whale.

You are correct Alabama hired a whale

Last edited:
He just completed his easiest 3 game stretch of the season and is on pace for 4 total wins this season before "his legs got cut out".

The boat was capsizing precisely because of things under Riley's control - play on the field
It's not over for Riley. If he wins, he's in. After year three I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I think we already hired and fired the only two ADs in the world who are dumb enough to fire a coach who just won nine games.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Way before any of the SE news broke, I posed the question..."has MR lost the team?"

We may find out tomorrow. Will the players run through walls for him, or do they come out flat and just show up for another football game.

Will it matter?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
We can roll the dice. No question. But trying to be the smartest guy in the room typically fails. And the next coach is going to have lots of the same challenges Riley did. If it's me? I'm not cutting a guy's bag after 2 1/3 to go out and hire someone that doesn't have a significant track record, an established coaching circle, and experience running an elite recruiting system. The next coach isn't going to have ten years to figure it out. 2 1/3 will be the new standard presuming we are consistent.

Having a significantly mediocre track record, that spans 20+ years, and then going sub .500 during the easiest stretch of your schedule in year 3 is enough evidence for most. It doesn't take much foresight to know how this is going to go. I like your optimism though.

It's well known that TO circumvented Byrne, and did it because he feared Byrne had a mind of his own, and might actually go outside the program. In hindsight, maybe Mack Brown works out better than Solich, maybe not.

What I find funny is imagine Nebraska gets Nick Saban from Michigan State in 1997. I can hear the reaction, "we kicked his ass in 95 and 96! He sucks!!"
So true Nebraska Fams = clueless AF only happy with ten years of Frankie small Ball and beating Iowa and if that fails they can root for the penguins.They no longer care if they ever have a top twenty team. As long as the coaches played here. Sad as F.

This x1000.
His recruiting results havent been much better.
He has had players not show up just like pelini did.
Riley DOES give it effort and he actually tries and cares, this he is very good at. But I've long said and wished for Riley to win 10 games, that's what it would take for him to actually have top 10 or 15 classes instead of us all just pretending he has top 10 to 15 classes.
But considering we just lost to northern Illinois at home in year three, it doesn't look like riley is ever going to be able to put enough wins together to be winning the hat game in february.
People like to pretend winning doesn't matter to recruiting. True, for a recruit here or there. But to end up in the top ten or 15 and get enough of them major playmakers, you gotta WIN.
This isn't Minnesota or Iowa we are talking about. It's NIU!

Are you on the team? You are a fan. You are in no position. The only thing you have to defend is yourself from your buddies that give you shit because your football team is struggling.
Did you read the context of what I was responding to? Is it hard to understand "us" in this case means the Nebraska football program?

The point being that Riley put "us" in the position that we are in. My sympathy is not with him

Did you read the context of what I was responding to? Is it hard to understand "us" in this case means the Nebraska football program?

The point being that Riley put "us" in the position that we are in. My sympathy is not with him

You put yourself in that position. You choose to be a Nebraska fan. He put his team in this position. But outside of a little embarrassment you are in no position.

NOw we are arguing semantics...
Oh football gods please quit punishing us!
Deliver us from purgatory with a coach who can win!

I want Tom Osborne to take his fangs out of all things Nebraska AD. He hired Miles, Erstad, and Pelini. Two of those coaches are failing and one already failed and was fired.

Just consulting....Erstad was a no brainer and Nebraska basketball=Kansas football. I have no problem with Osborne helping

You put yourself in that position. You choose to be a Nebraska fan. He put his team in this position. But outside of a little embarrassment you are in no position.
Ok, it is clear you completely missed the point.
I don;'t care about "my position"

My point, again, is Riley is a bad football coach. I don't have sympathy for his position of having to coach without an AD. Its his fault

Reactions: Morgan747
It's not over for Riley. If he wins, he's in. After year three I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I think we already hired and fired the only two ADs in the world who are dumb enough to fire a coach who just won nine games.

Riley has to win a LOT more than just 9 games to survive. This trajectory is now all about preparing to replace Riley (and some other coaches). Riley has to put hardware in the trophy case in order to FORCE to the new AD to keep him on against the AD's actual intentions, and he has to do that as a presumed lame duck.

Having a significantly mediocre track record, that spans 20+ years, and then going sub .500 during the easiest stretch of your schedule in year 3 is enough evidence for most. It doesn't take much foresight to know how this is going to go. I like your optimism though.
Riley's record at OSU was very good. At Nebraska, not very good yet. Giving a coach basically 3 games to get his offense and defense in gear is pretty cheap.

The biggest mistake Riley made was delaying his scheme 2 years and hiring Cav.

Last edited:
How about accepting the fact that a chat with TO about the direction of the football program isn't a bad idea?
These idiots on here will NEVER accept it. They wanna bury Osborne every chance they get. These so-called “fans” deserve a losing team!

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I've posted this in other places but I think the program would be in a better spot overall if we would allow Riley to build/manage our roster. He is/was going to upgrade the talent of this program. I'm confident of that.
You are in fantasy land! Riley has not recruited any better than the last staff!

If he wasn't winning heading into year 4-5 then fire him and allow the next coach to come in with a significantly better roster.
If? He’s NOT going to win. We need to cut him loose at the end of this year to facilitate the rebuilding. Significantly better roster?

Fire Cav and Davis after this season and upgrade

I'm not a fan of Davis but it's easy to argue that his position group has been the best and most consistent through 2 1/3 seasons of any position group.

Cav, Bray and even Dubs, yes Dubs, haven't proven a thing with results on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Dubs has been a big disappointment, so far, with all the hype surrounding him.

I'm not a fan of Davis but it's easy to argue that his position group has been the best and most consistent through 2 1/3 seasons.

Cav, Bray and even Dubs, yes Dubs, haven't proven a thing with results on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Dubs has been a big disappointment, so far, with all the hype surrounding him.
Every single Oregon St coach has been a complete zero!

Riley has not recruited any better than the last staff!

False. You're not able to look deeper, which isn't a surprise to anyone.

need to cut him loose at the end of this year to facilitate the rebuilding.

Lmfao at rebuilding, you're not giving Riley any time to rebuild but you're willing to give the next guy - a complete unknown - the opportunity to rebuild.

JFC you tradition coalition folks are nuttier than I thought.

To me, the whole TO consultant thing I have mixed feelings about.

On one side, you have an opportunity to get the input from a living legend, and so I don't know how you don't do that.

On the other hand, this is not Tom's forte. He was a great football coach, not necessarily a great administrator or decision maker when it came to conference realignment or hiring coaches.

Maybe it is a little bit like his coaching career, in that it takes him a long time to win the big one, but he eventually gets there.

I guess you take his input, but not sure you give it as much weight as some would have in the past.

I'd like to see them focus on an AD that has excellent leadership abilities and character.

That will pay more dividends than what Tom says or doesn't say.

The only criteria that the next AD will be judged upon is how the football program does. Are there any potential ADs out there that have close ties to a high profile FB coach?

Way before any of the SE news broke, I posed the question..."has MR lost the team?"

We may find out tomorrow. Will the players run through walls for him, or do they come out flat and just show up for another football game.

Will it matter?
MR lost the team after the Wisconsin game last year and never got it back with this team. After the Oregon game, they should have played their asses off against NI. We see how that turned out. This pattern is concerning. In the end, it will not matter anyway. It's sad, but in this day and age, money rules all.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT