ADVERTISEMENT

Thank God Osborne is being consulted

Ohio U is T4th, 4th and 3rd last 3, 5 and 10 years in MAC games.

He is in 13th season in Athens. 88-67 overall and 59-41 in conference. 8-6 last year, 6-3 in conference.
Not exactly the results we would want our new AD to go after and hire...I assume.

You are in fantasy land! Riley has not recruited any better than the last staff!

Whenever this gets brought up and real recruiting numbers are posted there are a group of people who say they don't use the Rivals (or Scouts or 247) numbers. They look deeper or they have their own numbers...and those show that Riley is getting it done in terms of recruiting. I just wish someone would tell me where I can find these super secret recruiting numbers that show we have killed it the last three years.

For those of us who are stuck using Rivals and other recruiting services, the mid to low 20's isn't something to write home about. (Unless your home is in Corvallis. Then you can write home about those numbers.)

I've posted this in other places but I think the program would be in a better spot overall if we would allow Riley to build/manage our roster. He is/was going to upgrade the talent of this program. I'm confident of that. If he wasn't winning heading into year 4-5 then fire him and allow the next coach to come in with a significantly better roster. The next coach is going to have to spend 2-4 years ironing it all out just like Riley is doing now.

Sick

I think it's a bad idea. I don't want him near the program. Shit. The guy only showed up because he's eager to be back on the stage with the 'Harvey was wrong' crowd when it was time to axe SE. He doesn't forget. And he will always want to be at the center of attention. He's never been the same after losing the election.

There isn't a program without TO....how can you be so dense?

He just completed his easiest 3 game stretch of the season and is on pace for 4 total wins this season before "his legs got cut out".

The boat was capsizing precisely because of things under Riley's control - play on the field

I'm not debating that. Not sure why you'd point out the obvious as a counter to what I posted.

Having a significantly mediocre track record, that spans 20+ years, and then going sub .500 during the easiest stretch of your schedule in year 3 is enough evidence for most. It doesn't take much foresight to know how this is going to go. I like your optimism though.

It's strong evidence. I'm not arguing against that.

I'm not a fan of Davis but it's easy to argue that his position group has been the best and most consistent through 2 1/3 seasons of any position group.

Cav, Bray and even Dubs, yes Dubs, haven't proven a thing with results on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Dubs has been a big disappointment, so far, with all the hype surrounding him.

I agree that Davis has been an excellent coach. Excellent. He's just a terrible recruiter. If we adjusted our recruiting model a bit to get him significant help on the recruiting front I'd accept that. But I have to assume we could get a RB coach that could be solid on both fronts.

I understand the commentary on Dubs; however, perhaps it was our own fanbase that fanned those flames? Maybe we should have waited a bit before we crowned him. Our lack of WR depth, which is a direct result of recruiting misses, is certainly killing us right now.

Reactions: natesonnen
You are in fantasy land! Riley has not recruited any better than the last staff!

giphy.gif

Whenever this gets brought up and real recruiting numbers are posted there are a group of people who say they don't use the Rivals (or Scouts or 247) numbers. They look deeper or they have their own numbers...and those show that Riley is getting it done in terms of recruiting. I just wish someone would tell me where I can find these super secret recruiting numbers that show we have killed it the last three years.

For those of us who are stuck using Rivals and other recruiting services, the mid to low 20's isn't something to write home about. (Unless your home is in Corvallis. Then you can write home about those numbers.)

Tom's "Densitron3000" act on full display here.

I agree that Davis has been an excellent coach. Excellent. He's just a terrible recruiter. If we adjusted our recruiting model a bit to get him significant help on the recruiting front I'd accept that. But I have to assume we could get a RB coach that could be solid on both fronts.

I understand the commentary on Dubs; however, perhaps it was our own fanbase that fanned those flames? Maybe we should have waited a bit before we crowned him. Our lack of WR depth, which is a direct result of recruiting misses, is certainly killing us right now.

Coaching > recruiting, and it shouldn't even be a discussion.

Meh. It's not just recruiting either, his position group is as inconsistent as any other group.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Coaching > recruiting, and it shouldn't even be a discussion.

Meh. It's not just recruiting either, his position group is as inconsistent as any other group.

I agree with that. I'm just of the opinion that a place like Nebraska should have better backs on the roster. Our backs are solid. Tre is very good. I just think we need support on the RB recruiting.

No argument from me on WR consistency. It's been a problem. We will see if it tightens up.

Edit: Cav has to go no matter what, yes? We used to talk about Barney and you likely recall I was against him pretty early on (ca. 2010). But his lines were better than what we are seeing right now.

That is pure conjecture. We are on pace for 4 wins this year with the easiest part of our schedule behind us.

I can just as easily argue that he isn't going to upgrade the talent here - his classes have been ranked every bit as mediocre as pelinis and this class isn't going to hold based on the teams play

100% correct sir!

Sure. He does. But I think it was a dirty deed to cut his legs out by firing the AD. Everyone in the country assumes Riley is a dead walking walking right now. Significantly, significantly more than a couple days ago. Riley can win. Sure. But the boat just took on a shit load of water for reasons outside of Riley's control. We don't need to go further if you disagree with that.

As always.....excuses, excuses, excuses. Gee, just "maybe" if he wasn't losing all over the place our AD wouldn't have been fired?

I agree with that. I'm just of the opinion that a place like Nebraska should have better backs on the roster. Our backs are solid. Tre is very good. I just think we need support on the RB recruiting.

No argument from me on WR consistency. It's been a problem. We will see if it tightens up.

Edit: Cav has to go no matter what, yes? We used to talk about Barney and you likely recall I was against him pretty early on (ca. 2010). But his lines were better than what we are seeing right now.

IMO, people under value our RB quality due to poor OL play. Ya, I'd like better but they're not garbage.

Cav is toast, barring a miracle turnaround.

It's not over for Riley. If he wins, he's in. After year three I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I think we already hired and fired the only two ADs in the world who are dumb enough to fire a coach who just won nine games.

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of Davis but it's easy to argue that his position group has been the best and most consistent through 2 1/3 seasons of any position group.

Cav, Bray and even Dubs, yes Dubs, haven't proven a thing with results on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Dubs has been a big disappointment, so far, with all the hype surrounding him.
Hey, I agree with you on something!

The hate for Davis is proof fans here thi everything is about recruiting.
Davis must be a good COACH.

As always.....excuses, excuses, excuses. Gee, just "maybe" if he wasn't losing all over the place our AD wouldn't have been fired?

I'm starting to think some of you guys are truly stupid. We were going to lose more games, many more, before SE was fired. Nobody is saying otherwise. But it's not an excuse to point out that making that decision in September makes the hill steeper for Riley and staff.

To your point, it's pretty clear at this point the firing was about SE and not Riley.

So pray tell

Yea Osborne=bad AD, but in last twenty years we've hired two "true" AD's and what do we get in return- Callahan and Riley. I hate Pelini and Solich (meh) but Pelini and Solich> Callahan and Riley by a wide margin

Ummmm cool? So Osborne sucked but he was better than SP and SE? That's what you want to hang your hat on? Go for it.

You do realize that Tom called a press conference while Bill Byrne was out of town for a meeting and named Frank his successor. At that point in time there was no AD in the country who could have done anything else but hire Frank. Byrne was pissed and he left at least partly because of it. Don't call names. You're a better poster than that.
It's well known that TO circumvented Byrne, and did it because he feared Byrne had a mind of his own, and might actually go outside the program. In hindsight, maybe Mack Brown works out better than Solich, maybe not.

What I find funny is imagine Nebraska gets Nick Saban from Michigan State in 1997. I can hear the reaction, "we kicked his ass in 95 and 96! He sucks!!"
You don't have a clue. That's not what happened at all. You are confusing that with what Perlman did to Osborne. Byrne was well aware of What Osborne wanted and was in no way blindsided.

Reactions: CaptainChapman
You don't have a clue. That's not what happened at all. You are confusing that with what Perlman did to Osborne. Byrne was well aware of What Osborne wanted and was in no way blindsided.

I never said Byrne didn't know what Tom wanted to do. EVERYBODY and I mean EVERYBODY knew that TO wanted Solich to succeed him. DUH.

And TO knew Byrne did want to just automatically hand the keys over to Solich. Just because the Athletic Director knows what the head coach wants, doesn't mean that the Athletic Director has to go along with it.

So TO used his status to get what he wanted. So TO retiring and Solich taking over was leaked to the media. That way if Byrne stopped it, he'd be vilified and ran out of town.

So Byrne left when he had the chance to go to a bigger school and actually got to do all the duties of an Athletic Director.

TO played chicken with Byrne, and won. TO has a PhD in Psychology. Don't think he didn't put that to use outside of the football field once in awhile.

TO and Solich still being discussed? Was a disaster waiting to happen. Great staff that worked well under Tom.

But you had great but OLD coaches in Tenopir, Young, McBride, Darlington. Probably not the desire to get out on the road and recruit like they once did. Couple that with taking orders from a former peer. Jealousy?

For all he did for the program, why the need to defend a decision that was obviously flawed however well intentioned.

Well, in my few weeks here, your posting history looks a lot like PR for Mike Riley. You seem to be unaware of what is happening to the program. So, yeah, seems like a fair question to me.

LMAO. Ok. I'll play this 'I'm a new guy' game with you. You mean like the post I made after the NIU game? The one where I deemed our play completely unacceptable?

Tunnel vision from you guys.

You know what I mean. People that want him fired. It's always about recruiting.

Everyone agrees he's an outstanding coach. The results on the field from his unit speak for themselves. The question is how to get some elite backs under his guidance. Like I said before, my desire would be to get Williams tagging with him on some guys. Williams should be the lead with some support from Reggie after the hook is in.

I'm starting to think some of you guys are truly stupid. We were going to lose more games, many more, before SE was fired. Nobody is saying otherwise. But it's not an excuse to point out that making that decision in September makes the hill steeper for Riley and staff.

To your point, it's pretty clear at this point the firing was about SE and not Riley.

here's a pretty interesting comment from a husker fan:
"I need to be careful about betraying confidence, but this decision came down quickly and unilaterally from Hank Bounds. I received a brief message prior to his briefing with the BoR (absent Hal Daub) on Wednesday night. From my prior post about Shawn and the state of the athletic department obviously I was surprised by this news. On Thursday morning after he and Ronnie had officially removed Shawn we had another discussion. While I agreed with some of his opinions it was clear to me that the timeline and resolution process had not been thoroughly addressed prior to acting. I expressed that concern. We discussed other issues that I won't reveal here but I could only describe his immediate plans as high risk plate spinning. One thing is clear, Nebraska fans should get used to having a university system president who will be extremely heavy-handed concerning the UNL athletic department going forward. This type of management has been met with mixed results at other universities and I'm not sure how it'll be received by Nebraska faithful in the long term. For those fans who wish for a "back to the future" philosophy for Nebraska football, I can tell you that's not Hank's long term vision as expressed to me. You can expect him to leverage the Husker family to sell his current decisions but they're not going to be put into permanent decision-making positions; that should be interpreted to mean the permanent AD and head coach for football. *Edit: I should mention that Dave has been contacted about the interim role and he would have a chance at a permanent spot should he share Hank's vision completely. I'm not sure Dave is interested in being Hank's hired hand in the long run.

Concerning Mike Riley, it's very important for him to win today and next week. Hank likes Mike but he's demanding immediate results. Should we lose today, expect fireworks.

This is uncharted waters for Husker athletics. Previously, the machinations of the athletic department has always resulted from intense debate between the AD, Chancellor, President, BoR, and select boosters. Now it's the Hank Bounds show."

Reactions: dinglefritz

are our backs the product of our subpar o line?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT