ADVERTISEMENT

Troy Dannen Intro/PC

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
He said all the right things.

It didn't seem that Tom Osborne had an active role in influencing the selection of an AD. And he may have not attended the initial introduction session. Troy did say he has a meeting with TO this week.

He said everything is about winning and if the stadium project helps us win, then good. If not, he sort of shrugged his shoulders. I was surprised he said he didn't know much about the stadium project. I would have expected someone from the department had handed him a stadium project dossier to read on the airplane.

He didn't seem real comfortable with a question about DEI (IMO).

Commented that men's BB didn't shoot well their last two games. ADs usually don't say stuff like that.

The standard picture of him getting a Nebraska jersey from the acting President was different than usual because his wife and kids were in it, but his wife stood behind him and could not be seen. It was a bit awkward.

So we finally have a media room where the seated press each has a microphone so we can hear the questions, but half of them did not lean in to use the mikes and as usual, we couldn't hear their questions. You can lead a horse to water......

I see many have viewed this, but nobody has replied. I'll bite.

I am not getting great vibes on this hire. On paper it's a great one. But, I'm smelling "Mike Riley type stench" on this one.

Reactions: HUSKERBILL
I see many have viewed this, but nobody has replied. I'll bite.

I am not getting great vibes on this hire. On paper it's a great one. But, I'm smelling "Mike Riley type stench" on this one.
Mike Riley stench? How so? Looks to be the opposite of a Mike Riley hire. Up and comer. Midwest roots. Seems way more macho than Riley.

He said all the right things.

It didn't seem that Tom Osborne had an active role in influencing the selection of an AD. And he may have not attended the initial introduction session. Troy did say he has a meeting with TO this week.

He said everything is about winning and if the stadium project helps us win, then good. If not, he sort of shrugged his shoulders. I was surprised he said he didn't know much about the stadium project. I would have expected someone from the department had handed him a stadium project dossier to read on the airplane.

He didn't seem real comfortable with a question about DEI (IMO).

Commented that men's BB didn't shoot well their last two games. ADs usually don't say stuff like that.

The standard picture of him getting a Nebraska jersey from the acting President was different than usual because his wife and kids were in it, but his wife stood behind him and could not be seen. It was a bit awkward.

So we finally have a media room where the seated press each has a microphone so we can hear the questions, but half of them did not lean in to use the mikes and as usual, we couldn't hear their questions. You can lead a horse to water......
I am always anti IOWA background. The reason being is they have no reason to want success for Nebraska, they actually have the exact opposite want. So no I do not think this was the right hire

I am always anti IOWA background. The reason being is they have no reason to want success for Nebraska, they actually have the exact opposite want. So no I do not think this was the right hire
NSIS… you really think he’s coming in not wanting success? Really?

If you said he doesn’t understand success, I guess you might have a point, but you don’t think he wants to be successful at Nebraska? This is a big F you to the fans?

That’s a lot of tin foil…

NSIS… you really think he’s coming in not wanting success? Really?

If you said he doesn’t understand success, I guess you might have a point, but you don’t think he wants to be successful at Nebraska? This is a big F you to the fans?

That’s a lot of tin foil…
I will change my tune if we start beating IOWA like we should on a regular basis. If we go 10-1 and then face a 6-5 Iowa team and lose. Then yes my Tin Foil hat will be on an I will be suspicious. If we are 5-6 and facing a 9-2 Iowa team like last year and lose a close one... Well Rhule will be on the Hot Seat and Troy will have a decision to make unfortunately.

Iowa fans do not like Nebraska, would he risk his job on it. I will undoubtedly say yes, because he is making a ton of money anyways and I am sure Tulane would hire him back. You can't act like all people want to be the guy that turned Nebraska back into a national power again. He may see this as an opportunity to put us in a bad place again.

I will change my tune if we start beating IOWA like we should on a regular basis. If we go 10-1 and then face a 6-5 Iowa team and lose. Then yes my Tin Foil hat will be on an I will be suspicious. If we are 5-6 and facing a 9-2 Iowa team like last year and lose a close one... Well Rhule will be on the Hot Seat and Troy will have a decision to make unfortunately.

Iowa fans do not like Nebraska, would he risk his job on it. I will undoubtedly say yes, because he is making a ton of money anyways and I am sure Tulane would hire him back. You can't act like all people want to be the guy that turned Nebraska back into a national power again. He may see this as an opportunity to put us in a bad place again.

Riddle me this! If we are 10-1, how exactly does the AD step in and cause us to lose to Iowa?

Youre Crazy Woody Harrelson GIF

It's quite a stretch to theorize that a Northern Iowa grad would want to sabotage NU. Most of the Northern Iowa grads I've talked to over the years HATE the Hawkeyes. I'm happy we hired a guy who wants to live long term in this area of the country with the experience he has. You forget that Tom recommended Steve Pederson for AD.

Because if we go 10-1 and lose to 6-5 Iowa, that’s on the AD, not the coach, I guess? I’m still not following your logic here.

The only way Dannen doesn’t care about success is if we have losing seasons the next 3 years and he still extends Rhule… then he shows his true colors. Until then, I assume he wants to put a winning product on the field.

And I absolutely don’t believe he would tank Nebraska just to spite us. That’s crazy talk.

Proving once again anonymous message boards are an enemy of rational thought.

Riddle me this! If we are 10-1, how exactly does the AD step in and cause us to lose to Iowa?
By sharing information to the Iowa staff...

Do I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist? Yes I do, but the shit that has happened to Nebraska Football over the last 20 years and the way we lose games has a 100% caused me to believe something off has been going on behind the scenes

• Haha
Reactions: wkato and InMotion

Do I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist? Yes I do, but the shit that has happened to Nebraska Football over the last 20 years and the way we lose games has a 100% caused me to believe something off has been going on behind the scenes
something is going on behind the scenes

it's called lack of preparation, lack of poise, lack of killer instinct

Not gonna happen. Again, he’s a UNI grad. Most UNI grads I’ve talked to hate the Hawkeyes. Why would he cut his own sack to help Iowa? It’s not logical.

It's quite a stretch to theorize that a Northern Iowa grad would want to sabotage NU. Most of the Northern Iowa grads I've talked to over the years HATE the Hawkeyes. I'm happy we hired a guy who wants to live long term in this area of the country with the experience he has. You forget that Tom recommended Steve Pederson for AD.
Yes, he's a Northern Iowa grad and he was the AD at Northern Iowa for eight years. So, it's ridiculous to think that he would come here to sabotage Nebraska's chances of beating Iowa. But ... Nebraska plays Northern Iowa on September 14. Draw your own conclusions from that!

Proving once again anonymous message boards are an enemy of rational thought.
Do I think it is rational? Absolutely not... I also do not believe after being on our 6th coach since 1998 and seeing the same incompetence on the field tells me it isn't just the "coach" and "players". Trev leaving the way he did also peaked my interest in what is going on above the AD's office.

As Kong said

Lack of Preparation
Lack of Poise
Lack of Killer Instinct

6 coaches and literally 1,000's of different players over the last 20 years and we get the same shit on the field. Why exactly do we continue to get beat like we get beat. It definitely can't just be those 3 things above, because why would it still be the same after so many transitions. We don't just lose...

From Wisconsin beating us 70-31 in the Big 10 Championship running the same play over and over again that we couldn't stop... to not having a quarterback that couldn't avoid giving the ball away this past year. We lose in Embarassing fashion, it is never a hard fought game and losing. It is getting completely out coached or players making a bad decision to end the game.

Saying all this, there is something stinky in that athletic department and it needs to be fixed. Troy may be great, and I hope he does well. The problem I see is Trev was doing some good things and now he is gone. Something just isn't sitting right with me, and I don't care how crazy you all think I am

My suggestion is get rid of anyone in the athletic department that was there since the Steve Pederson hiring (including Tom himself) and move on

Yes, he's a Northern Iowa grad and he was the AD at Northern Iowa for eight years. So, it's ridiculous to think that he would come here to sabotage Nebraska's chances of beating Iowa. But ... Nebraska plays Northern Iowa on September 14. Draw your own conclusions from that!
OMG! Better make sure we have our moles keeping a watch on him..... Seeing as how hiring a small town Nebraska guy recommended by Tom for our AD didn't exactly work out, I'll give this hire a chance. IF we can't handle UNI in football, we have bigger problems than who our AD is. Hell give them our whole playbook and gameplan and we still better beat them by 14.

Do I think it is rational? Absolutely not... I also do not believe after being on our 6th coach since 1998 and seeing the same incompetence on the field tells me it isn't just the "coach" and "players". Trev leaving the way he did also peaked my interest in what is going on above the AD's office.

As Kong said

Lack of Preparation
Lack of Poise
Lack of Killer Instinct

6 coaches and literally 1,000's of different players over the last 20 years and we get the same shit on the field. Why exactly do we continue to get beat like we get beat. It definitely can't just be those 3 things above, because why would it still be the same after so many transitions. We don't just lose...

From Wisconsin beating us 70-31 in the Big 10 Championship running the same play over and over again that we couldn't stop... to not having a quarterback that couldn't avoid giving the ball away this past year. We lose in Embarassing fashion, it is never a hard fought game and losing. It is getting completely out coached or players making a bad decision to end the game.

Saying all this, there is something stinky in that athletic department and it needs to be fixed. Troy may be great, and I hope he does well. The problem I see is Trev was doing some good things and now he is gone. Something just isn't sitting right with me, and I don't care how crazy you all think I am
A lack of high-end talent has been the biggest reason for lack of success in my opinion. We saw what good talent can do on the defensive side in 2009 when we had players that Callahan recruited. Below average assistant coaches have also been a problem.

A lack of high-end talent has been the biggest reason for lack of success in my opinion. We saw what good talent can do on the defensive side in 2009 when we had players that Callahan recruited. Below average assistant coaches have also been a problem.
the lack of all conference first teamers and combine invitees should be our sign that we have to field better talent.

I'd agree with this, but other than the Michigan game last year we were the better team. All the one possession losses the last few years, I just don't think it is Talent.

Has Nebraska had Playoff talent, no

Have they had bowl game talent, I would say every single year they have had that talent

Reactions: king_kong_
OMG! Better make sure we have our moles keeping a watch on him..... Seeing as how hiring a small town Nebraska guy recommended by Tom for our AD didn't exactly work out, I'll give this hire a chance. IF we can't handle UNI in football, we have bigger problems than who our AD is. Hell give them our whole playbook and gameplan and we still better beat them by 14.
We DO have bigger problems than who our AD is

Reactions: king_kong_
I'd agree with this, but other than the Michigan game last year we were the better team. All the one possession losses the last few years, I just don't think it is Talent.

Has Nebraska had Playoff talent, no

Have they had bowl game talent, I would say every single year they have had that talent
absolutely the one point losses were at least partly due to coaching. One could argue though that better players at key positions would have made a huge difference. This past year, QB was a glaring problem.

absolutely the one point losses were at least partly due to coaching. One could argue though that better players at key positions would have made a huge difference. This past year, QB was a glaring problem.
is it not "coaching" to bring in and promise the job to the worst QB in the history of college football (sims)?

is it not "coaching" to have what many here (not me) would say the QB who looked the best running the scout team all year?

it's a coach's job to get good players, sure. it's also a coach's job to put the players he has in the best position to succeed every single snap.

Rhule & co underwhelmed (putting it kindly) in-game last year. they need to get better right alongside our talent level.

I
is it not "coaching" to bring in and promise the job to the worst QB in the history of college football (sims)?

is it not "coaching" to have what many here (not me) would say the QB who looked the best running the scout team all year?

it's a coach's job to get good players, sure. it's also a coach's job to put the players he has in the best position to succeed every single snap.

Rhule & co underwhelmed (putting it kindly) in-game last year. they need to get better right alongside our talent level.
Frost would have rode Sims to an 1-11 record all while never letting HH touch the ball. At least Rhule benched him and moved to HH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT