ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic: Haarberg has Seized the Moment

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
nice midweek read. some things that stood out:

Last winter, after the sprint to sign a class of recruits and scour the transfer portal for reinforcements in the wake of Rhule’s post-Thanksgiving introduction, the coaches watched video cut-ups from practice and games of all the returning Huskers.

Rhule and Satterfield noticed Haarberg’s athleticism and strong throwing mechanics. The coaches also heard about various opinions that Haarberg would make a good tight end or fullback. Rhule recalls pulling Haarberg aside in the football offices.

“I said, ‘Hey, Heinrich, let me talk to you for a second,’” Rhule said. “‘Everybody says you should go play tight end, you should go play fullback.’ I could kind of see this look of disgust on his face. And I said, ‘I think you should go play quarterback.’”
-------------------------------------------------

“I love everything that [Haarberg] does,” Grant said.

Receiver Alex Bullock said Haarberg possesses “all the attributes you look for in a leader.”

“The biggest thing is for him to have support from his teammates,” said Eric Crouch, the 2001 Heisman Trophy winner. “It can get a little hairy in the quarterback room if you let it.”

Marcus Satterfield, the first-year Nebraska offensive coordinator, had no experience with option football until this year.

Coach Matt Rhule and his offensive staff for the past month have received a crash course in option principles from Ron Brown. A longtime former assistant under Tom Osborne, Frank Solich and Bo Pelini, Brown works this season for Rhule as the director of player support and outreach.

Enter Brown, with his expertise. And Haarberg.

“It’s a balance,” Haarberg said. “We don’t sit down and watch ’90s film. We install new stuff, new pass plays. (The coaches) pump out new plays all the time.”

GBR

Reactions: saluno22 and jteten
The Satterfield haters should probably rethink their stance after reading that article.
Tom would give assistants a couple of years to learn from him before he would ever give up on them. When you look at our OCs since Tom retired, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that Satterfield can develop under Rhule to be as good or better than any of them. JMO

Reactions: king_kong_

Last winter, after the sprint to sign a class of recruits and scour the transfer portal for reinforcements in the wake of Rhule’s post-Thanksgiving introduction, the coaches watched video cut-ups from practice and games of all the returning Huskers.

Rhule and Satterfield noticed Haarberg’s athleticism and strong throwing mechanics. The coaches also heard about various opinions that Haarberg would make a good tight end or fullback. Rhule recalls pulling Haarberg aside in the football offices.

“I said, ‘Hey, Heinrich, let me talk to you for a second,’” Rhule said. “‘Everybody says you should go play tight end, you should go play fullback.’ I could kind of see this look of disgust on his face. And I said, ‘I think you should go play quarterback.’”

Receiver Alex Bullock said Haarberg possesses “all the attributes you look for in a leader.”

“The biggest thing is for him to have support from his teammates,” said Eric Crouch, the 2001 Heisman Trophy winner. “It can get a little hairy in the quarterback room if you let it.”

Marcus Satterfield, the first-year Nebraska offensive coordinator, had no experience with option football until this year.

Coach Matt Rhule and his offensive staff for the past month have received a crash course in option principles from Ron Brown. A longtime former assistant under Tom Osborne, Frank Solich and Bo Pelini, Brown works this season for Rhule as the director of player support and outreach.

“It’s a balance,” Haarberg said. “We don’t sit down and watch ’90s film. We install new stuff, new pass plays. (The coaches) pump out new plays all the time.”

GBR
75% of the posters here sit down and watch 90's film...with their pants around their ankles.

Glad they are revamping the offense to align more closely with our strengths while at the same time annoyed that after a spring and fall camp they entered the season with an offense that wasn’t particularly suited to any QB on the roster. Wasted a lot of practices implementing an offense that is now needing to be overhauled on the fly.

Last edited:
Glad they are revamping the offense to align more closely with our strengths while at the same time annoyed that after a spring and fall camp they entered the season with an offense that wasn’t particularly suited to any QB on the roster. Wasted a lot of practices implementing an offense that is now needing to be overhauled on the fly.
Nebraska is also down 2 receivers that would be getting a bunch of the reps. I think it's also fair to say that this was viewed as a building year for the future, but now they think they have a niche to lean into this season.

GBR
I think Rhule is pragmatic. Sims is not the guy. This is Haarbergs team now. Do we want to break in a new QB next year? No. So design the offense around HH. Go out and rack up 300 yards on the ground and bring him along in the passing game to eventually average another 200 yards. Couple this with a stout defense and we can win some games

I think Rhule is pragmatic. Sims is not the guy. This is Haarbergs team now. Do we want to break in a new QB next year? No. So design the offense around HH. Go out and rack up 300 yards on the ground and bring him along in the passing game to eventually average another 200 yards. Couple this with a stout defense and we can win some games
everyone who talks about Rhule's recipe for success:

this is exactly what he did to produce those two magical Year 3s at Temple and Baylor

develop a young QB who's with him the entire way

Year 3 at NU, Haarberg will be a 5th year senior with 20+ starts under his belt

I Agree Cbc Tv GIF by CBC

I freaking love that he brought in Ron Brown to get them up to speed. Not ashamed to admit that I am run the ball guy. It fits with what we can do with the players in our 500 mile radius.

Downhill football is frustrating at times, but eventually breaks the will of the opponent. Just gotta have enough defense to keep scores from getting out of hand early in the game.

Wait, are some of you really seeing this ^ as a positive?

Nebraska is also down 2 receivers that would be getting a bunch of the reps. I think it's also fair to say that this was viewed as a building year for the future, but now they think they have a niche to lean into this season.
Satterfield has specifically mentioned losing those WRs as part of the offensive adjustments being made. They’re tailoring some things to Haarberg’s strength….and that isn’t being a pocket passer.

Just listened to a PC with Iowa's Cade McNamera. Too monotone, too Teflon. Was not impressed. Man, I sure hope the Huskers can beat Iowa in November. He's only passing at a 50% rate.

Just listened to a PC with Iowa's Cade McNamera. Too monotone, too Teflon. Was not impressed. Man, I sure hope the Huskers can beat Iowa in November. He's only passing at a 50% rate.
we'll be favored

could be last game of that old man and his fat son's careers

Plus everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Get in real games against other teams and see what your team actually does when bullets are flying. I like that Rhule isn't a total stubborn dork like some of the previous coaches.

I would be willing to break in WSU’s QB next year. HH can do fine at QB, but with his frame and athletic ability, he could likely pro in some other capacity, so not sure why he is opposed to going that route.

better than attempting to shove all our square pegs into round holes

Sure, but $7M + per year salary between Rhule and Satterfield and they've gotta blow the dust off a TO retread from the 90s to show them how to do it mid season. Yeah, no red flags in any of that.

Sure, but $7M + per year salary between Rhule and Satterfield and they've gotta blow the dust off a TO retread from the 90s to show them how to do it mid season. Yeah, no red flags in any of that.
the red flags come when you start to hear talk of getting players who fit the system instead of molding the system to fit players

we've seen that over and over

I have zero issue with the staff tapping into experts to help them in areas they're not familiar. I have lots of issues with coaches whose heads are so far up their own asses they are incapable of altering their systems.

2-back running game and true downline veer option (I don't expect to see this) are skills/knowledge long lost to what's modern today.

the red flags come when you start to hear talk of getting players who fit the system instead of molding the system to fit players

we've seen that over and over

I have zero issue with the staff tapping into experts to help them in areas they're not familiar. I have lots of issues with coaches whose heads are so far up their own asses they are incapable of altering their systems.

2-back running game and true downline veer option (I don't expect to see this) are skills/knowledge long lost to what's modern today.
Not to mention, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out how to put in some option. Some fans are acting like Satterfield and everyone else on the offensive side of the ball had never seen the option until last Friday and installed it in pregame.

Not to mention, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out how to put in some option. Some fans are acting like Satterfield and everyone else on the offensive side of the ball had never seen the option until last Friday and installed it in pregame.

I just quoted the article, I didn't write it.

• Haha
Reactions: nostromo78
Where did I just see a tweet of him basically throwing BF under the bus? He said something like, "I"m just the quarterback, it's not like I'm the offensive coordinator or anything." It kinda sounds like a shit show over there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT